Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Sep 2018, 07:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Anyone installed MagicPoint presentation program?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
oldguy

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb 2007, 21:33    Post subject:  Anyone installed MagicPoint presentation program?  

Has anyone successfully installed Magicpoint presentation program to Puppy?

I am attempting to install to Puppy 1.08rc1.

I downloaded and extracted using xarchive to /root/my applications, the files are there as expected.

The release notes state the following needs to exist:

/usr/X11R6/lib//X11/mgp/default.mgp

The file is not there.

I looked in the magicpoint folder in ROX and Uxplor and did not find the files indicated, is there a step or command I missed?

Magicpoint is less than 1MB, and seems to be a resource light application.

I checked the pupget repository and found impress stand alone, is it dependent on OO libraries and how large is the download? Has anyone used this on low resource PC's, less than 128MB ram?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(I am checking out slidedraw (in repository), but seems to be an editor not for creation of presentations)
muggins

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2007, 05:38    Post subject:  

og,

i haven't used magicpoint, but see there's a debian binary available here:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/mgp

it needs imlib11 library installed, and might have a few other library dependencies.

also the impress in the repository isn't the OO one. see here:

http://www.ntlug.org/~ccox/impress/

for slide draw:

http://members.tripod.com/rpragana/slidedraw.html
oldguy

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb 2007, 17:37    Post subject:  

I installed slidedraw and impress, neither have documentation. Slidedraw release notes state readme has instructions, no readme file in download. They are very similar, but it is easier to replicate slides and initiate a slide show with Slidedraw. I got rid of impress to save space. Was looking for something similar to DOS presentation programs I used before, and I think Magicpoint would more closely approximate the characteristics and features. The standard applications with Puppy are sufficient for my uses except for a presentation program, and I would like to get Magicpoint working but am not proficient in compiling, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW both Slidedraw and Impress installed quickly with menu options added to start menu, my thanks to everyone who makes these packages available.
muggins

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb 2007, 03:54    Post subject:  

oldguy,

i tried compiling the latest release of mgp without success. instead i downloaded the debian binary of the previous release.

however, i don't think this is probably the program that you're after. info is minimal &, although i thought it was supposed to be graphical, i had to get quite a few additional libraries, yet still haven't managed to get it to display any of the examples provided.

do you have space &/or ram reasons why you can't use impress from one of the OO sfs files?
oldguy

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 04:27    Post subject:  

Thank you for attempting to compile, from your experience I think you are right about Magicpoint, it would not fit my requirements. OO applications seem to need a lot of ram, and I am using Puppy live cd with a system with 120MB ram. It is also an older celeron 500Mhz, runs Win98 okay if optimize things and turn off a lot from taskbar/startmenu.
Puppy runs fast on it. Am also on dial-up so try to limit any downloads to less than 1MB, otherwise they take too long. Anything else I try to get disks, through online vendors. I will check out the OO presentation program and see if it is satisfactory. Thanks for your help.
muggins

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 05:43    Post subject:  

you should be OK to run OOffice. i've got it in a .sfs file on my 667Mz laptop, with 64M RAM & 200M swap, and it runs OK. (although it does startup a bit slowly, and i've never used impress).

if you only need to use powerpoint intermittently, maybe try an buy one of the puplets that include OOffice, and just use it on cdrom.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: