Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Oct 2018, 17:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Trying to set up Netgear USB WPN111 on sulu-002 -- SOLVED :)
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Clif McIrvin

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul 2018, 22:14    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
You really sure you have wpa2 ability with this?

I'm taking Mike's word for it - I originally ordered it after finding it recommended in these forums - possibly in Rerwin's Lucid thread. Long enough ago that I forget specifics.

This newgg link sure looks like the card now in my tower. The label on the box it came in simply says "Netgear WPN511NAR refurbished product"
@Mike - does this look like your card?
Quote:
Try doing a new firewall setup just to make sure it is not blocking something.
The firewall setup default settings should work.

Removed the firewall, ran the firewall wizard default, accepted the default answer at each prompt. The completion report said it found my dhcp address of 192.168.1.3 - no joy.
Disabled the firewall and tried again - no joy
Hmm ... after I post this I'll try a reboot and see if anything changes
Quote:
The wlan1 thing.
The other USB device is not plugged in?

Correct - not plugged in.
Code:
lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P Processor to I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c475
01:01.0 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem
01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR5212/AR5213 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

lspcmcia
Socket 0 Bridge:      [yenta_cardbus]    (bus ID: 0000:01:00.0)
  CardBus card -- see "lspci" for more information

Quote:
I assume the same password works for both wpa and wpa2 Idea
But I do not know what your network device setup is.

Network device: Samsung SCH-LC11 MiFi device.
Two of the available security options are:
WPA2 Personal/PSK (AES)
WPA/WPA2 Mixed PSK
I'm configured with the WPA2 option - not the Mixed.
Quote:
To understand.
It connects to your network wifi router, but not the Internet?

That is correct. This connection log from my admin interface that looks like it is showing one of my ping attempts to 8.8.8.8
Code:
AP Connection Log   
Date/Time      Client IP Address   Destination         Port   Type   
7/21/2018 19:49:34    192.168.1.1    69.78.96.14       53       UDP
7/21/2018 19:49:0    192.168.1.1    69.78.95.206       8443    TCP
7/21/2018 19:47:8    192.168.1.1    69.78.96.14       53       UDP
7/21/2018 19:46:4    192.168.1.1    198.224.148.135    53       UDP
7/21/2018 19:44:58    192.168.1.1    69.78.96.14       53       UDP
7/21/2018 19:44:27    192.168.1.1    69.78.95.206       8443    TCP
7/21/2018 19:44:25    192.168.1.3    8.8.8.8          0    ICMP
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul 2018, 23:42    Post subject:  

Quote:
The label on the box it came in simply says "Netgear WPN511NAR refurbished product"

Wonder if that indicates it actually works.
What would you refurbish on one of these cards Question

That NewEGG link shows what I have been looking at for specs.
No WPA2

Again, I refer you to using the network wizard and following the steps posted.

If some step does not work, it is a good clue as to what is wrong.

menu->Setup->Internet Connection Wizard->Wired or wireless LAN->Network Wizard

Network Wizard wireless connection steps.

1. Select Network Wizard
2. Select wlan0 (your network card may have a different description)
3. Select Wireless in the Configure wireless network box.
4. Select Scan and your ESSID should come up.
5. Select your ESSID and OK
6. Give a name to your profile. It should already be what you selected in step 5.
7. Encryption. use WPA2 - select it
8. A box will open for you to write the WPA password. It is called a Shared Key. Enter the password.
9. Leave the other boxes as they are. Rarely do these need adjustment.
9. Select Save
10. Select Use This Profile
11. A box will appear showing Puppy trying to connect
12. A box will come up “REPORT ON TEST 0f wlan0CONNECTION”
13. Select Auto DHCP in the Configure interface box and it will go through a handshake routine. and declare itself successful
14. Select done

If something does not work.
What step?
You do what?
You see what?

Also make sure your system's time zone setting is correct - if not, many website's certificates then act as if they are expired, and the webpage won't display.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 06:02    Post subject:  

@ Clif:-

Yep; that's identical. Here's my own for comparison:-

.....and here's a shot of the label on the back, FWIW:-

(Sorry for the out-of-focus shot!)

I can only re-iterate what I said before (despite the fact that all links, references to it, etc., appear to indicate to the contrary, as bigpup points out).....that I've always connected to it via WPA2-PSK. The only thing I can think of that might be happening is that there's something in the adapter card's controller chip that is blocking attempts to connect.

I've had exactly the same trouble attempting to boot Pups from USB 3.0 sticks plugged into a USB 3.0 adapter card on my big Compaq desktop. I originally bought it for an external Seagate USB 3.0 hard drive I have, in order to make use of the higher transfer speeds (a job at which it excels, BTW.) But the controller chip, it appears, doesn't natively support booting in the same way that a USB 3.0 controller that's actually built-in to the motherboard.....

I use my own WPN511 plugged directly into the old Dell's native PCMCIA CardBus slot, which sits under the hard drive caddy. None of this, however, helps you directly, and you must be getting rather fed-up with this by now. Certainly, if you decide to ignore any advice I might proffer in future, I can't really say that I would blame you..! Embarassed

Mike. Wink

Clif McIrvin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 08:49    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Wonder if that indicates it actually works.
What would you refurbish on one of these cards Question

That's a really good question- and no easy way to get a definitive answer. Sad
With my limited experience I have trouble grasping how the card could be "not working" and I am able to successfully log in to my network device's administration interface. This seems to lend credence to Mike's suggestion of the possibility that there is something in the PCI-PCMCIA adapter device itself that is causing a glitch - if so that implies to me that the adapter is smart enough to recognize and parse IP packets. Looks like more research is in order.

bigpup - when I carve out the time I'll walk through the network wizard step by step as you suggest and document what happens.
Mike Walsh wrote:
Certainly, if you decide to ignore any advice I might proffer in future, I can't really say that I would blame you..! Embarassed

LOL
Hardly that.

The only difference I see on the back is the different MAC address; and the serial no. space is blank on mine.

Clif
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 10:13    Post subject:  

Digging back to one of your earlier posts in this thread, I suddenly remember I had pretty much this same problem myself at one point:-

Clif McIrvin wrote:
SNS successfully brings up a wireless connection with my WPA2-AES configured AP - BUT while I can talk to my AP at 192.168.1.1 I cannot see the outside world. Crying or Very sad

This was in the very first 64-bit Slacko (6.3.0) a couple of years ago, using a TP-Link USB wifi adapter, on a friend's machine which I converted to Puppy for him.

We would always get a connection to the router (actually, in this case, it was a broadband 'dongle' - since replaced with a wifi 'hotspot' for its greater ease of connection). However, there was never an initial connection to the actual internet itself.

(He lives out in the middle of nowhere, and has used a mobile phone ever since they first hit the market. The local phone company once quoted him a figure of somewhere in the region of GBP £6,500 to run a landline out to him, because there was nobody else nearby they could make use of to 'share' the cost, or indeed to run another line off from. He predictably said 'Sod that'; hence, why he's always made full use of the mobile networks).

What I eventually ascertained was that by re-running the firewall wizard, and configuring it to automatically re-write the firewall script (which I believe lives at /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall), the connection would then 'magically' establish itself, connecting to the outside world, and letting him use the internet.

I never was able to figure out if this was a 'bug' in the original Slacko64. By the time my mate was using it, Slacko64 6.3.2 had been out for quite a while, and I believe Micko was already working on its successor at that point...

But that seemed to 'fix' it. After booting to a working desktop, re-run the firewall wizard, and all of a sudden the internet is accessible again. Worth a try, perhaps?

Mike. Wink

Clif McIrvin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 13:32    Post subject:  

Ulp. I let my prepaid data plan expire. Of course I cannot see the outside world. Embarassed
Clif McIrvin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 14:40    Post subject: Now Working!  

Renewing the subscription to my MiFi hotspot was all it took.
Once I turn off the DSL and switch over to the hotspot exclusively it won't take me so long to figure out when the jar runs empty, perhaps. Wink

So - yes, indeed the WPN511 connects with WPA2.

@bigpup - many thanks for hanging in with me -- much appreciated!
(since it's working with SNS I won't bother trying Dougal's)
@Mike - always a pleasure when we have an opportunity to share ideas!

Now to run some performance checks to see how this will compare with the DSL I've been using -- which was the whole point of the exercise from the get go!

Clif
Clif McIrvin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 17:09    Post subject: speedtest  

Initial testing suggests connection speeds through my mobile hotspot could be 2x or more faster than what I was seeing on my AT&T DSL service - for slightly less $$ per month.

Download varied from 0.930 to 1.56 Mbps, vs. 330 - 410 Kbps on DSL.

I tested with ATT Speedtest, Verizon and Ookla; except that Ookla never would succeed on the DSL connection.

So far, so good. Time will tell.

Clif
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 19:29    Post subject:  

Clif McIrvin wrote:
Ulp. I let my prepaid data plan expire. Of course I cannot see the outside world. Embarassed

If you want to keep an eye on your dataplan usage, why not try BitMeterOS?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99025

I brought this to the community's attention a little over 3 years ago; at that time, I, too, was on a limited dataplan. Since then, we've gone 'unlimited'.....but I still use it to keep an eye on things (especially watching NetFlix, which gobbles up data like there's no tomorrow!)

I originally found it when I started on Linux with Ubuntu, a year earlier, but found it worked fine with Puppy. Personally, I've stuck with the older, 'stable' 0.7.6; the newer 0.8.0 also measures LAN usage, but is not so stable in use. Its author switched to a newer variant of the SQL database when he built it, and it didn't prove to be as reliable as he'd hoped.

0.7.6 is as reliable as the day is long. My oldest copy of it is approaching 3 years since install (in Precise 571), and is still faithfully recording data usage for me!

Just a suggestion.

bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 20:10    Post subject:  

Great news to hear!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
Ulp. I let my prepaid data plan expire. Of course I cannot see the outside world.

So, you had to turn it on! Laughing

It always seems to always be a simple thing.

Still wondering why all the specs on that WIFI card are wrong.
Even looked it up at Netgear.
Maybe they have more than one production version of that card.
I have seen the same hardware have different features, based on when they made it. When it first came out, opposed to later productions.

Good that Mike Walsh had the same card.

That was fun! Shocked Laughing

Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: