Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 19 Aug 2018, 09:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to send file over wifi? (Solved)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
jss83

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 05:55    Post subject:  How to send file over wifi? (Solved)
Subject description: Sending file from puppy to other pc nearby using wifi

I would like to know if it is possible to send file over wi-fi, for example, I have wi-fi dongle on my pc which uses puppy and I have a laptop which uses built in wi-fi but when I need to transfer files I have to manually use pen drives to transfer file from a to b and vice versa.

I was wondering if there is a way I could send them over wi-fi?

I created a samba share on puppy system and I can share files between both the computers now but only when I am connected to the hotspot.

Is it possible to do it directly without using the hotspot in between?

Last edited by jss83 on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 23:09; edited 1 time in total
smokey01

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 06:25    Post subject: Re: How to send file over wifi
Subject description: Sending file from puppy to other pc nearby using wifi

jss83 wrote:
I would like to know if it is possible to send file over wi-fi, for example, I have wi-fi dongle on my pc which uses puppy and I have a laptop which uses built in wi-fi but when I need to transfer files I have to manually use pen drives to transfer file from a to b and vice versa.

I was wondering if there is a way I could send them over wi-fi?

I created a samba share on puppy system and I can share files between both the computers now but only when I am connected to the hotspot.

Is it possible to do it directly without using the hotspot in between?

To share files between two computers they have to be connected in some form. Using samba is a good solution which you have already sussed. It sounds like you are already connected via wifi. You could also make one computer the server by running an ftp server and on the other computer use an ftp client. Both computers will be communicating via wifi but you will need a common connection. If you have a modem router with wifi you should be able to connect. One computer could be connected to the modem router via ethernet and the other by wifi.

Your samba solution is probably the best.

Why do you want to do it differently?

jss83

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 06:46    Post subject:  

I wanted to connect them directly without taking any help from the hotspot because connecting both the computer to hotspot means getting online and sometimes (not usually but it does happens) the hotspot due to network problems is not online and doesn't connects.

Also, I am on limited data connection, I don't know if sending file back and forth would cost me data.
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 06:47    Post subject: you send a mail with the file joined..  

you send a mail with the file joined.. then you can read your mail from any computer, and print or save joined file.
jss83

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 06:55    Post subject:  

Yes but sometimes the file is big and I don't wish it to be sent online, like I just moved a 2 gigabyte file with the samba share from puppy to win and it took seconds, whereas if I were to send it through mail or dropbox, it'd take a long time to upload and download.

Hm.. maybe it doesn't use data then .. Laughing

Another thing I noticed when the samba share is mounted, the net speed almost dies on both the systems.

Edit: Can it be done through bluetooth? Send/receive files from puppy to windows and vice versa without connecting through a medium in between?
jafadmin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 17:24    Post subject:  

jss83 wrote:
... Also, I am on limited data connection, I don't know if sending file back and forth would cost me data.

Data usage is counted between a PC and the ISP (Internet), not between multiple PC's connected by the same hotspot.

So, using the WiFi Hotspot for PC to PC file copying should NOT increase your dataplan usage.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 18:50    Post subject:  

@ jss83:-

Jafa's quite right. Any file movement amongst machines/devices on your LAN (Local Area Network), whilst certainly involving 'data usage', doesn't in any way incur deductions from your ISP's dataplan.....because you're never involving external IP addresses, y'see. The only IP addresses in use are those on your local 'subnet'; those starting with '192.168.x.xxx'.

And those are ignored by the protocols that your external DHCP address uses. So it won't affect your dataplan in the slightest, rest assured.

jss83 wrote:
Can it be done through bluetooth? Send/receive files from puppy to windows and vice versa without connecting through a medium in between?

I wouldn't use Bluetooth.....not for large files. Bluetooth, while very good for sending/receiving small file sizes over short distances, takes an unholy long time to send something of any kind of size.

As smokey says, either use Samba (personally, I uses rcrsn51's Samba-TNG, a lightweight variant of 'full' Samba that works extremely well for Puppy):-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60204

.....or, there's Dukto, an almost foolproof LAN file transfer app, which uses the afore-mentioned ftp protocol:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113738

In both cases, of course, you need to make the appropriate exceptions in your firewall to allow the passage of data in both directions.....but that only takes a couple of minutes to do. And there has to be an 'in-between' medium involved (your router) to co-ordinate everything.....but your router is smart enough to keep your LAN & DHCP stuff separate. Smile

Unless, of course, you tell it otherwise.....

Mike. Wink

bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 20:39    Post subject:  

Quote:
Another thing I noticed when the samba share is mounted, the net speed almost dies on both the systems.

I would look at the hotspot, internal setup, and see if anything would affect this, based on how many computers are connected at one time.
In this mode, you are using the hotspot more as a network connection, as opposed to a Internet connection.

What is the hotspot hardware?
Make and model?

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 21:25    Post subject:  

If one of your machines has a compatible WiFi adapter, you could set up a private wireless network.

You could transfer files over it, and bypass the hotspot.

Read here.
jss83

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul 2018, 23:28    Post subject:    

@jadadmin, Thanks for conforming that my data usage won't be affected by sharing file over LAN. Smile

@Mike Walsh, Yes both the computers use 192.168.., I tried sending file from win machine to puppy through Bluetooth but both computers wouldn't get paired, I tried many times and as you suggest that it won't be helpful in sending/receiving bigger files, so I am just going to drop this idea. I will try and see if I can make use of Samba-TNG or LAN ftp and report back how it went but samba share that I have already set up is pretty easy, the puppy share folder is visible on both the machines and I can move files back and forth through it. Although, I was not able to get the windows shared folder to be accessible on the puppy machine (...still working on that).
Edit: So far, Dukto seems easy enough, I would need to find dukto for the windows machine as well though and hopefully for my phone as well, maybe there's an app for it too. Smile

@bigpup, it's my windows phone that I use as wifi hotspot, at most there are only 2 user connected through it, it can connect to up-to 8(my dad is the 3rd user but he uses it very rarely and currently his wifi device is not working), both the computers get pretty decent speed, I run downloads on one and work on the other. Never used file sharing through it, I just made puppy share yesterday and it showed up on my windows machine in the networks tab in the file manager, whilst clicking on it, it asks for user and password, I changed the samba share's default password and I enter root as user and changed pw when asked and the folder becomes accessible on windows machine with read and write access. When the puppy share is mounted I saw a big dip in the internet speed on both the systems, don't know why, maybe the phone is not able to handle LAN and internet together.

@rcrsn51: My laptop has a built in wifi adapter RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn and desktop has Ralink MT7601, I don't know if those are capable of what you suggest, kindly advise. Also, the laptop has windows for now, it came with that installed, I haven't decided to switch to Linux on it for now as everything is working fine.

Thanks to all of you so much for trying to help. 
cthisbear

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2018, 00:27    Post subject:  

" I haven't decided to switch to Linux on it for now as everything is
working fine. "

:::::::::::::

As always I say >> Keep Windows ...enjoy Puppy.

All my laptops have Windows.
However all boot from a Puppy usb.

Cheap...always cheerful..
working the bios to boot them is the hardest.

Newer Toshibas for example....Horrid.

Welcome to Puppy.

Chris.
jss83

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2018, 01:56    Post subject:  

That's a great idea and it crossed my mind too but that would mean installing everything I use on windows on puppy usb as well to stay connected to work and colleagues, which is why I haven't done it till yet. Not that it is not doable(except maybe whatsapp ...not sure) but I am just lazy I guess.

I have been running puppy on my desktop from over 2 years frugal install on hdd (tahrpup at first and xenial now) plus I keep testing the new and different derivatives through usb to see how they look and work. It has only 80 gb hdd which is why when it gets short on space I transfer the stuff I need to laptop but it was a pain in the ass to do it through usbs, it works fast now with samba share.

Recently switched my dad's old pc which was using windows to puppy as well, he's adapting to it real fast as he mostly uses email, youtube, google in browser, excel(gnumeric now) and skype very rarely(haven't installed it yet).
smokey01

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2018, 02:08    Post subject:  

Maybe this is an option worth considering.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68127

jss83

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2018, 02:49    Post subject:  

@smokey01, cmiiw but I think rcrsn51 suggested something newer and similar above, I have ralink wifi which uses mt7601 drivers, not sure if it is supported. I am trying to see if it'll work now and will report back.

Update: it didn't work, maybe I should stick with samba share for now, it gets the job done and I can live without the internet for the time the files are being transferred.
scrn1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   15.76 KB
 Viewed   139 Time(s)

scrn1.png

smokey01

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2018, 04:40    Post subject:  

jss83 wrote:
Update: it didn't work, maybe I should stick with samba share for now, it gets the job done and I can live without the internet for the time the files are being transferred.

You should be able to use samba and the internet at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: