corepup

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
nosystemdthanks

#721 Post by nosystemdthanks »

wanderer wrote: hope this is useful

thanks again
thank you, thats great. working on mcorepup 0.5, rockedge is going to like it i think. if he likes it, youll probably like it too.

by the way, have you thought about where to put tcz files online? ally can probably help there.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

wanderer

#722 Post by wanderer »

hi nosystemdthanks

how many tcz will there be
will most tcz be from the tinycore repositories ?

maybe the smokey01 site

also do you want me to put a link to your stuff on the first post
so you don't have to go through me every time
more convenient

wanderer

nosystemdthanks

#723 Post by nosystemdthanks »

wanderer wrote: how many tcz will there be
will most tcz be from the tinycore repositories ?

maybe the smokey01 site
it is likely possible for at least tce-load to be modified to check both the primary tc repos and a second or third repo (im thinking the smokey site and allys archive) for packages.

you are encouraging people to add to corepup via tcz packages, it is reasonable to have places for them to host them.

i am aware of the possibility of this overloading smokeys bandwidth, which is why im thinking in terms of two different sites. i certainly dont wish to make him regret hosting. perhaps you can ask him what sort of limits he imagines for that. that would help us in figuring this out a lot.

either way, ally is a great archivist (the best ive ever known personally) and youll be happy to have him doing what hes doing.

also do you want me to put a link to your stuff on the first post
so you don't have to go through me every time
always link when you want to, never ask. if you ask, thats ok, i will just tell you this again.

more convenient
i agree. cheers.

you can now get mcorepup 0.5 which caches tcz downloads and (if you add the figosdev and mcorepup-0.1 profiles) will create new tcz packages for:

alex23.tcz

fig46.tcz

mcorepup01.tcz
mcorepup02.tcz
mcorepup03.tcz
mcorepup04.tcz
mcorepup05.tcz

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &id=117874
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

wanderer

#724 Post by wanderer »

hi all

just an update

i am reading the mcorepup script
to figure out how to use it
for some reason im not eactly sure how to set it up
but the script seems very readable so im sure i will figure it out

in addition i am rebuilding the entire corepup system
which i do often and find to be a good learning experience

dcore and corepup are both parts of the system
and i did not know if anyone is aware
will use the same tce and home directories
so this is another twist
of putting the peices together in interesting and useful ways

i encourage people to give it a try

to be continued

wanderer

nosystemdthanks

#725 Post by nosystemdthanks »

wanderer wrote: i am reading the mcorepup script
to figure out how to use it
for some reason im not eactly sure how to set it up
but the script seems very readable so im sure i will figure it out

in addition i am rebuilding the entire corepup system
which i do often and find to be a good learning experience
rockedge has actually done a sort of walkthrough of this recently in the thread. as far as i know, hes the first person to run mcorepup from corepup--

i generally use a more "complete" distro, but i am also through mcorepup creating profiles to make corepup compete with that in usability.

there are only one or two reasons i havent posted definitive instructions for running mcorepup from corepup yet-- rockedge did it first, and i havent.

the reason i havent done it yet, is first i wanted mcorepup to create a tcz for mcorepup. i will post that here, and when i have run mcorepup from corepup i will post about that too:
Attachments
mcorepup05.tcz.gz
rename to mcorepup05.tcz, md5 aefff234a33b8fbdbe81c5e28ba378f3
(16 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

nosystemdthanks

#726 Post by nosystemdthanks »

definitive instructions for mcorepup from corepup:

# only if not already mounted:
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

sudo mkdir /tce
sudo tce-setup
tce-load -wi python
tce-load -wi squashfs-tools
tce-load -wi syslinux
tce-load -wi mkisofs-tools

sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1/mcorepup
sudo ln -s /mnt/sda1/mcorepup /mnt/mcorepup

sudo su
#then as root
cd /mnt/mcorepup1

wget -O- 'http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &id=117914' > mcorepup05.tcz

wget -O- 'http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &id=117846' > fig46.tcz

su tc -c 'tce-load -i ./fig46.tcz ./mcorepup05.tcz'

those lines can be avoided if youd prefer fig and mcorepup to be included as tcz packages in future versions of mcorepup.

cp /usr/local/bin/mcorepup05.fig .

#edit: remove "figosdev" and "mcorepup-0.3" from line 48 of /mnt/corepup/mcorepup05.fig so it reads: profiles = "wanderer wanderer-minimal" otherwise it will include itself. which is alright, but not what i wanted to do.

fig46.py /usr/local/bin/mcorepup05.fig

/usr/local/bin/mcorepup05.fig.py

despite best efforts, mcorepup 0.5 will try by default to include itself. this is because every time i told it to package itself, it packaged the version that said to package it.

thats not hard to get around, if you want it to be optional. just put the copy without the option in /mnt/corepup, and run the version that says to include it somewhere else-- which these instructions do.

sorry, the next mcorepup wont have that by default.

wanderer

#727 Post by wanderer »

thank you very much nosystemdthanks

now even i should be able to do it

i will try these instructions today
and report back

looks totally cool as usual

wanderer

nosystemdthanks

#728 Post by nosystemdthanks »

here are the same instructions in simpler terms, as well:

1. do the work as root in /mnt/mcorepup where the large files will go

2. be sure you install these tcz packages:

python
squashfs-tools
syslinux
mkisofs-tools

install mcorepup05.tcz and fig46.tgz from the forum.

copy mcorepup05.fig from /usr/local/bin to /mnt/mcorepup

remove "figosdev" and "mcorepup-0.3" from line 48 of /mnt/corepup/mcorepup05.fig so it reads: profiles = "wanderer wanderer-minimal"

run these commands as root:

fig46.py /usr/local/bin/mcorepup05.fig

/usr/local/bin/mcorepup05.fig.py

rockedge

#729 Post by rockedge »

that is the way I have been doing it....now in the Xth variation.
I am putting the corepup's to the test now.

But I am having on occasion permissions problems with /tce. Strange thing is one setup will build, install or be placed and work great and with another ISO the setup procedure the same and no matter what I try to make the /tce writable will not work. Also problems with persistence keep popping up.
some settings will stick and others (especially settings for "root") disappear sometimes during a session minutes after something was set mostly though after reboot.

teething pains getting the thing sorted out. I found out if I use profile = "wanderer" or just "rockedge" I get the smoothest version at 83 megs...I have gotten a build down to 10 megs but it is tedious getting the thing useful.

though overall having an OS only use 50-60 megs of RAM on this IBM T-42 with 750 megs of RAM really helps performance.

I made a Bionic 18.05 with a kernel 4.17.9 nopae (forcepae) that will boot and run on the same machine yesterday....boots great and runs beautifully..
only thing is it takes up 600 megs of RAM leaving little room for palemoon to run something like Facebook with out a swap file or partition. So I have been comparing Corepup-7 variations against the Puppy Bionic on this old(er) test machine. Surprised how well the IBM T-42 launches these OS's.

nosystemdthanks

#730 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote:But I am having on occasion permissions problems with /tce. Strange thing is one setup will build, install or be placed and work great and with another ISO the setup procedure the same and no matter what I try to make the /tce writable will not work.
i cant begin to imagine why that would be, unless its something not getting added to onboot or the like, or some key file missing.

if you put up two examples, there are lots of ways i can compare them and highlight the differences.

the easiest place to put up two examples like that is if you setup an account on the internet archive. i dont know why more people dont do this, its very convenient.

versions of mcorepup prior to 0.5 were more likely to download things into places that would not be there on the next build.

for 0.5, more components are downloaded to /mnt/mcorepup prior to being copied, which means they dont have to be downloaded again unless you delete them.

the organisation of mcorepup is actually getting better, making it easier to find stuff going on.

but when running the same code twice yields different results, its probably about the downloads. thats worth mentioning. and yes, that can be mitigated as the code improves.

some downloads will stop the script immediately if they dont succeed. you actually want that. most use wget and shell, and dont care. but that can be improved.

none of this tells you exactly what the problem is, because it cant. it would be good to know, if we figure it out at some point.

rockedge

#731 Post by rockedge »

I am working on finding the cause. It seems to be caused in certain cases, by manual methods of setting up a corepup as a frugal install on usb stick(s). on the hard drive I have not encountered this setting up corepup in the same way i am installing to usb stick. Also on a usb hard drive incorrect ownership and permissions don't seem to be a problem.

I am always setting corepup(s) up next to Puppy Linux Tahr 6.0.5pae and I do not have the problem when building an setting up corepup using Tahr.
The permission problem is causing the buttons and icons to be missing on the icewm desktop. Corepup-7 will boot regardless of what ownership / permissions are but if corepup can not write to /tce the missing buttons and icons are an indicator that something is amiss. Starting the Apps program fails with a don't have the permission to write to /tce. Maybe it is the entire corepup directory (frugal) and it has the wrong permissions. Checking to see if it is a USB stick failure but so far I don't think so since Tahr works. On one usb stick I have 3 corepups and a Bionic 18.05 with a kernel 4.17.9 nopae I made yesterday with woof-CE that I mentioned in a previous post, to put on the usb stick to help work with the building of corepups AND because it was cool to get Bionic with a really new kernel running a 2005 IBM T-42 with 742 megs of RAM.
This is the machine I have been crunching out mcorepups using Corepup-7 with.

nosystemdthanks

#732 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote:I am working on finding the cause. It seems to be caused in certain cases, by manual methods of setting up a corepup as a frugal install on usb stick(s). on the hard drive I have not encountered this setting up corepup in the same way i am installing to usb stick.
there are settings in tc related to this, i believe. http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux ... #pendrives

rockedge

#733 Post by rockedge »

I will investigate! thanks for the tip.....

wanderer

#734 Post by wanderer »

hi all

just an update

I continue to work on setting up nosystemdthanks mcorepup
(its nice to have all the components as tcz)
and rebuilding my manual build system
(which is a way I use to develop it)

its good to have 2 complementary systems to build corepup
both have their strengths

a little delay due to my work demands

keep the faith

wanderer

AndresC2

#735 Post by AndresC2 »

:D Hi rockedge
The permission problem is causing the buttons and icons to be missing on the icewm desktop.
read all this post maybe help.

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.ph ... 981.0.html

"There are appearance issues in IceWM, running dCore-wily. Other than the 1, 2, 3 and 4 buttons, all other panel buttons are simply grey (no label or icons)"

good luck

nosystemdthanks

#736 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge, im just going to add a profile for debians icewm, what do you think? that way you can just add "icewm" to profiles, and have the full version.

we dont care about running the very stripped down one, do we? (the option is still there, just dont run mcorepup with the icewm profile added)

wanderer

#737 Post by wanderer »

hi all

just an update and review

a very important piece of corepup
will be an efficient way (a script)
to convert sfs debs and other packages to tcz
this is one of the tasks I am working on

nosystemdthanks (with the help of rockedge)
is working on his mcorepup build system
which im sure will have many sophisticated functions

eventually as soon as my work schedule allows
I will make corepups out of tc 9

as usual
I am also rebuilding my manual system
to further develop things

and many more tasks

excelsior

wanderer

rockedge

#738 Post by rockedge »

Code: Select all

im just going to add a profile for debians icewm, what do you think? that way you can just add "icewm" to profiles, and have the full version. 
nice! full version for now..stripped down later. just to get stuff really going.

I had an issue today running a successful mcorepup05.fig.py using a Bionic 18.05 kernel 4.17.9 operating system..... some permission thing on line 51..I think it was......I will get the details when I am at my desk

nosystemdthanks

#739 Post by nosystemdthanks »

if you mean line 51 of the translated python, thats nearly impossible, the only thing written to even near line 51 (no matter what you do to change the fig source) is sys.stdout.

maybe youre having trouble writing to a file, which is interesting, though line 51 shouldnt call anything that tries to write to a file.

screencap or paste the text output of the error please, and yes i noticed that you cant do that until later, dont worry about that. and as usual, thank you for trying to run this from various systems. it wont work from everywhere, but it should work from more places at least.

rockedge

#740 Post by rockedge »

I am about to run it again I will be able to pinpoint the problem I encountered.

otherwise here is the latest Corepup-7 I made using mcorepup05.fig
running the newest Tor Browser.
Attachments
screenshot_0726205405-500px.png
(82.63 KiB) Downloaded 380 times