Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Jun 2018, 18:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Bug Tracker for Puppy Linux
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Gekko

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar 2007, 00:29    Post subject:  Bug Tracker for Puppy Linux  

Due to popular demand, the tracker is now closed.

Good job Barry.

Last edited by Gekko on Wed 25 Jul 2007, 07:23; edited 2 times in total
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar 2007, 01:39    Post subject: Re: Bug Tracker for Puppy Linux  

Gekko wrote:
I've set up a bug tracker for Puppy Linux. This can be quite useful if used correctly.
Please don't overlook this, we need to move forward, not stay lingering.

If you don't want to sign up:
username: guest
password: guest
This account can be used to view bug reports. You will have to sign up to post a bug.

Thank you, Gekko. I'm sure we'll find this useful for much more than the current versions of Puppy. Well done!
Gekko

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar 2007, 03:59    Post subject:  

I'm going for one complete bug tracker for all puppy derivatives. Want your puppy derivative on there? PM me.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar 2007, 09:24    Post subject:  

I thought someone already had Mantis for Puppy on a website for a long time. Or is that you I'm thinking of, Gekko?

It seems to me that what's lacking is a clear definition of a bug. If Puppy won't do something as someone thinks it ought, a considerate and thoughful person might be unsure whether it is because of a bug or just his lack of knowledge, and not report it. Someone less than thoughful will always assume it is a bug in Puppy. Mantis might become choked by what should be requests for help in the Puppy Linux forum.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar 2007, 16:12    Post subject:  

i think there is a Mantis bugtracker set up here:
http://puppylinux.org/mantis/login_page.php

and before that, i think jmarsden set up a bugtracker:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=41664#41664
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar 2007, 16:17    Post subject:  

it is necessary to separate bugs from help requests ... i would put more bug fixes in my SP214 package, if i knew that each bugfix works properly and that it does fix an actual bug
Gekko

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar 2007, 21:33    Post subject:  

Yes but the other mantis have laid dormant for quite some time. And yes, there is a difference between bugs and an error specific to your situation, but we already have a bug that I have to test for reproduction later. This could be of much use as one unified puppy bug tracker for each derivitive and version.
amish

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar 2007, 23:44    Post subject:  

Quote:
it is necessary to separate bugs from help requests

while i agree there, i must say:

Quote:
It seems to me that what's lacking is a clear definition of a bug.

that if people start overscrutinizing the idea of what's a bug and get into the ridiculous "this is not a bug" rebukes and debates that we have on the forum, it will *never* allow bugs to be collected in a single place, and it will discourage people from submitting them.

don't believe it? i have NEVER ONCE submitted bugs to this forum or any other official bugtracker. i talk about them, but i dare not post to the bug tracker, where i will be told it's not a bug, or worse: "works for me!"

please, if you're going to centralize bug reporting, stfu and Let Them Post To It! if everything "works for me!" then we really don't *need* to track bugs, right?
Nathan F

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar 2007, 18:58    Post subject:  

I for one will create an account there and start posting some of what I consider to be bugs, but only for Puppy at this time. I think it might get a bit confusing to try and gather bugs for all different puplets, because there are frankly way too many of them at this point and each will have it's own set of problems or issues which are introduced by the changes made to create the puplet. I think it would be more productive at this point to get a consistent location for bugs in Puppy itself, ie the iso's which are released by Barry, so that those particular bugs are not lost track of and their status can be easily determined. Searching through bugs is much easier with Mantis than it is on a forum.

There are a couple things that should be considered here. There are I think some bugs recorded on the old tracker that should be looked at and moved over to the new one if appropriate. But before I go hog wild I want to know that the tracker is going to be used and stay available long term. We have frankly had too many instances of good projects that got laid aside, and old dead websites. Gekko if you want to take it upon yourself to be bugmaster that is great and I would support it, but be ready for the commitment.

A few things people should remember when posting bugs.
    * Requests for new features and/or programs are not bugs and don't belong on the bug tracker, unless there is a specific section for that sort of thing.
    * It really helps if you check to make sure the bug you are reporting has not already been reported by someone else. If it has it is usually OK to just append a note to the original bug, but duplicates are counterproductive and create clutter.
    * Be specific and provide as much technical info as possible. If an application crashes try running it in a terminal and post any errors it spits out at you. If it is a hardware issue (some device not working, like your soundcard for instance) post the output from the dmesg command.
    * There are a lot of Puppy iso's out there right now. Post information that tells everybody what version of Puppy you are using, so we don't chase dead ends.
    * Remember that everybody here is a volunteer, so if you post a bug it may sit for a while. This is especially true since the whole concept is just getting started in relation to Puppy. The important thing is to get all the information collected so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle like it can right now. If we can get the regulars to frequent the bug tracker then things will eventually start moving.

Going along with the above, we need for as many people as possible to come forward and say "I will check the tracker for new bugs and do triage", and they then are going to need administrative access to be able to assign the bugs to themselves and update their status. I will volunteer to be one, but please don't make me the only one. There are a lot of capable people here.

It would be great if Barry would lend some support to the idea, but think of this as just a polite nudge please. I think that Puppy has just grown to be so large of a project now that this is something we have to do as part of growing up. As many people keep saying, what we're doing now is no longer enough. It needs to be formalized to some degree, especially as more responsibility get's taken on by the community rather than resting solely on Barry's shoulders. In case the rest of you hadn't noticed this process has already started and is now well underway, although it has happened in a very informal fashion. Certain people have taken over custody of certain scripts and utilities, a case in point would be Rarsa's work on the network wizard. Unofficially I would call him the package maintainer for that project. There are of course other examples, PLineJ has done wonders for multimedia support lately, and Dougal is doing some wonderful things with system initialisation. It's no longer a one man show, even though everything still filters through Barry. A bug tracker is I think just a natural part of that evolution at this point and really I think it is overdue.

I would guess that the old tracker is badly out of date, having been set up even before Puppy2 was released. More than likely there is not a whole lot of use on there right now. I'm throwing my support in with Gekko on this, because he seems to have the motivation right now to get this going and keep it going for a while.

Nathan

Gekko

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar 2007, 21:49    Post subject:  

This will stay up permanently and I am willing to take this upon my shoulders Smile Anyone who wishes to volunteer just let me know on IRC, PM or post.
Gekko

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2007, 00:13    Post subject:  

http://bbqsrc.org/?q=node/20
I have written a tutorial on how to set up a testing environment using qemu that can be setup inside puppy to run puppy as a virtual machine.
Sound confusing? It isn't. Look at this diagram:

Normal Puppy ----> Virtual Puppy

It loads Puppy similar in how you would load an application.
sml

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2007, 10:41    Post subject:  

This needs Barry's support to be successful.
bostonvaulter

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2007, 19:59    Post subject:  

gekko,

do you think you could add a note to the front page telling people that they can login as guest? Or perhaps make it possible to browse the bugs without logging in.

Also you should inform them that they cannot post bug reports as guest
Gekko

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2007, 01:20    Post subject:  

I've enabled anonymous login as guest now. Do you think I should allow guest's to post bugs? And I do have Barry's support, he's got a manager's account.
bostonvaulter

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2007, 01:54    Post subject:  

I'm not really sure if guest's should be allowed to post bugs. It would be helpful but there is a chance that there may be too many useless bugs. We should probably emulate other successful bug trackers.

Now that you have barry's support we should get a link up on the main site and the main page of the wiki.

It would also be good for Barry to do a news article on the bug tracker to make it more official.

Jason
Page 1 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: