Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 08 Dec 2016, 05:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
pupeeecontrol.pet
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
dawnsboy

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2009, 19:15    Post subject:  pupeeecontrol.pet
Subject description: package for cpu/fan control eeepc 701 & 900

Pupeeee Control is available for download and testing at this time. This is a package that was built from an assembled set of scripts written to allow Eeepc 701 and Eeepc 900 users to manually control fan speed and cpu overclocking. The program is specifically designed for Eeepc's with Intel Celeron M 900MHz processors running Puppy Linux releases that use the 2.6.25.16 kernel. This package depends on eee-fan-CPU-0.2-k2.6.25.16.pet found on the Extra drivers for Puppy 4.1 with 2.6.25.16 kernel thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34159.

The package includes three scripts for manual fan control taken from a tar.gz package put together by Dougal and posted to this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34886. I added four files to the package. One to overclock the Eeepc to 900Mhz from its default setting of 630MHz, one to allow the user to return to 630MHz from the 900MHz setting, one to allow the user to decrease fan speed to 40% (this is based on my experience of the fan defaulting to 100% on boot), another script to allow the user to edit the eee-fan.conf with the press of a button in the event that something other than 40% might be appropriate and finally a simple gtk3 script that I wrote to provide the package with a gui.

ITEMS OF NOTE

The above mentioned eee-fan-CPU-0.2-k2.6.25.16.pet must be installed first.

The eee module must be loaded to use this package. It may be loaded by typing modprobe eee at the command line or it may be loaded on startup by adding modprobe eee to the end of the /etc/rc.local file using your favorite text editor.

The edit eee-fan.conf button calls for /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor.

This is not for use with the retro kernel.

Underclocking capabilities were intentionally omitted as a result of testing done by users jakfish and WeganWarrior which showed that optimal battery life hits a sweet spot at 630MHz and declines as clock speed decreases. Of course battery life decreased with overclocking but the feature is useful for certain applications. The full thread with testing notes is found on the eeeuser forum at http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=65557
pupeeecontrol.png
 Description   Screenshot of pupeeecontrol.pet
 Filesize   14.25 KB
 Viewed   3360 Time(s)

pupeeecontrol.png

pupeeecontrol.pet
Description  For manual fan speed and cpu clock control on Eeepc 701 & 900 netbooks with Intel Celeron M 900MHz processor.
pet

Download 
Filename  pupeeecontrol.pet 
Filesize  11 KB 
Downloaded  656 Time(s) 
jakfish

PostPosted: Tue 05 May 2009, 07:33    Post subject:  

Great stuff. Sorry not to post sooner, but I was out of the country these past days. Will download and install in my 900 and report back.

All best,
Jake
dawnsboy

PostPosted: Tue 05 May 2009, 09:13    Post subject:  

Welcome home. I decided to get around to packaging it is a .pet to make it easier to install. I tested on each of three installs (two on ssd and one on flash) but that is the best I can do for the moment. I will be interested to hear that the install went well for you. Thanks for testing it.
jakfish

PostPosted: Wed 06 May 2009, 07:51    Post subject:  

It's good stuff. Everything works. Its installation does overwrite the older installation, so users appear to have to make a choice between the two. As we've all seen, underclocking has either no effect or negative effect on battery life, so best to go with this one.

I also like the fan speed option. (in fluxflux [have you ever run that?], I noticed that he had an actual gui for choice of fan speed) As for me, the native speed is fine, since puppy rarely heats the eee enough to activate the fan (when at 630MHz).

Again, many thanks. I often bump the speed to 900MHz to watch video on websites, then bump it back down, and yours is the first app that allows that within the Puppy OS itself. Well done,

Jake
dawnsboy

PostPosted: Wed 06 May 2009, 22:29    Post subject:  

Quote:
I also like the fan speed option. (in fluxflux [have you ever run that?], I noticed that he had an actual gui for choice of fan speed) As for me, the native speed is fine, since puppy rarely heats the eee enough to activate the fan (when at 630MHz).

I am glad that you like it. I have tried fluxflux eee edition and I am aware of the eee-control application in that OS. It very much like the versions developed for the default Xandros OS and for Ubuntu. I actually induced the version originally designed for Xandros to run on Puppy (interface and all) but it was compiled for a different environment and is only partially functional on Puppy (and somewhat unstable).

I found the fan control to be very cool but had problems with the Xandros version garbling my display (in overclock mode) in Xandros even when using vmod and advancing by 1 or 2 MHz of fsb settings. It seems like it would work one time then not so much the next time.

Quote:
Its installation does overwrite the older installation, so users appear to have to make a choice between the two

I should probably have mentioned that. If you still want a copy of one of the original apps in tar.gz format, they are still up on their respective threads.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: