How to get wireless going on Acer 3680

tempestuous

#16 Post by tempestuous »

exton wrote:I still can´t understand why the modules was missing when I ran Puppy from CD the normal way or from harddisk. Anyone?
I think the problem is Puppy failing to access the zdrv file (which contains the full set of modules).
In the case of the liveCD, I think this is a bug. I reported it here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14202

In the case of a full HD install, the Universal Installer should copy the zdrv file to /
You can check this with Rox. If it's there, and Puppy still fails to access it, then this also is probably a bug.

exton

#17 Post by exton »

tempestuous,

zdrv_213.sfs is there (on my harddisk partition in /). My wireless connection still works after a reboot (when I start from the CD), but from the harddisk installation it seems impossible... After I copied /lib/modules/2.6.18.1/net to the same place on my harddisk I can load ath_pci and everything s e e m s ok. (The Network connection is on). But I still can´t reach the Internet even though the command ath0 dhcpcd is accepted. When I run sh wlan.script I get this error message:
error for wireless request set encode" (8B2A): set failed
Strange?

tempestuous

#18 Post by tempestuous »

It sounds like some related modules are not being loaded. Run "depmod" then try again.
In desperation, load all modules manually in this order -

modprobe ath_hal
modprobe wlan
modprobe ath_rate_sample
modprobe ath_pci
modprobe wlan_scan_ap
modprobe wlan_scan_sta
modprobe wlan_xauth
modprobe wlan_acl
modprobe wlan_wep
modprobe wlan_ccmp
modprobe wlan_tkip

exton

#19 Post by exton »

tempestuous,

I could only load ath_hal, wlan, ath_rate_sample and ath_pci. The others seems to be missing. The error message is the same when I try to connect.

exton

#20 Post by exton »

tempestuous,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. (Loading modules). Here is my solution: I started up from the CD again and copied the whole module folder (/lib/modules/2.6.18.1) to the same place on my Puppy harddisk partition. Overwriting all installed modules. I also replaced all files (5) in /lib/modules with the ones present when running from CD. Started up from the harddisk again and just did sh wlan.script. I was immediately connected. I guess I will never know why it worked that way. I mean why certain modules were missning after a harddisk installation and why I had to run the CD/puppy-system in RAM before I could load ath_pci.