French Interface [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
Baldlygo

French Interface [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Baldlygo »

I have provided a French neighbour with Lucid Puppy 520 which lets him access the internet in French. ( although I'm not sure if he only plays Solitaire locally, prints invoices - factures and does not browse :!: )

However he has asked me if he can have a program for his son which will be easy for him to produce posters - the interface must be in French.

I have set his Puppy to be in French but what about the applicatitions :?:

If it were me I would use abiword to do what he wants - but he needs a French interface - and he thinks his son is not very computer orientated so needs a simple French program to uese :shock:

So first question - How can I give abiword a French interface :?: Second is there an easier (simpler) French program we can employ :?:

Paul
Last edited by Baldlygo on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
Lucid 5.20 - my preferred OS on old Dell Inspiron 8000 & Toshiba Tecra M5

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Bonjour, Paul.

Check if you have downloaded the "NLS" package for Abiword. It contains all the language files. Install the ".pet and restart the window manager.

For the interface itself to be in French, do the following.

1) Check in the /etc directory if you have a file called profile.local ( the /etc directory is at the very top, next to / ).

a) If this file exists and does not have the following in it, copy this and paste it at the top of profile.local, whitout altering what is already there.

b) If you do not have a profile.local file in /etc. create one outright and put the following in it.

Code: Select all

#
# /etc/profile.local
#
export LANG=fr_CA.utf8
export LANGUAGE=fr_CA.utf8
export LC_CTYPE="fr_CA.utf8"
export LC_NUMERIC="fr_CA.utf8"
export LC_TIME="fr_CA.utf8"
export LC_MONETARY="fr_CA.utf8"
export LC_MESSAGES="fr_CA.utf8"
export LC_PAPER="fr_CA.utf8"
export LC_NAME="fr_CA.utf8"
export LC_ADDRESS="fr_CA.utf8"
export LC_TELEPHONE="fr_CA.utf8"
export LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_CA.utf8"
export LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_CA.utf8"
export LC_ALL=""
#
Of course in the above you would change fr_CA to fr_FR if you are in France, or to fr_BE if you are in Belgium. Do not touch the utf8 ending.

2) Get and install the French package from http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... pq-0.2.pet
This may take a few minutes.

3) Reboot!

Your Puppy should now be 90 % in French. There will still be some messages from the kernel that cannot be translated, but your Puppy will now be as French as can be! :)

I also encourage you to visit the Toutou Linux site at http://www.moulinier.net/, for further documentation about using Puppy in French.

Bonne route! Donnez-m'en des nouvelles ?
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Baldlygo

French Interface

#3 Post by Baldlygo »

Thank you musher0 - your solution worked a treat and has made my neighbour very happy (not that he was unhappy before :wink: )

I will have a closer look at TouTou - I will try and add it as another distribution on my own Laptop.

One additional little problem I came across was that I could not get the euro € symbol to work on the CoolText website - maybe I should post another question re 3D text on Puppies.

Edit:- Just realised that the € problem mentioned above only seems to apply to the first font - the rest appear OK :roll:

Paul
Lucid 5.20 - my preferred OS on old Dell Inspiron 8000 & Toshiba Tecra M5

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Glad I could be of help ! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)