Macpup Foxy 1.5

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
runtt21

Macpup Foxy 1.5

#1 Post by runtt21 »

This is the new thread for Macpup Foxy 1.5 .

Thank you very much to Barry for puppylinux.And thank you TTUUXXx for VLC and the Flushmetal theme!!!And to Prit1 for the help making this puplet and hosting it!!!

Extra special thanks to CatDude for the custom Macpup Foxy backgrounds, icewm themes , wbar skins , and the new grub boot screen.

Foxy 1.5 has all the same apps that the first Foxy had but now with Firefox 2.0.0.17 The biggest change is in the artwork. Foxy now has a more custom look that is a lot less Macish.

Foxy still has everything that makes Macpup so cool plus a bunch of extra stuff like, Gimp, Xvidcap,Picasa,Firefox ,Java, Flash , Audacity,Pawdio Converter,VCL ( by ttuuxxx!!!) Gxine and Xmms. Extra games and startup/shutdown tunes.

http://macpup.org/foxy15.php

Here are some of the backgrounds and themes....
Attachments
redtest1.jpg
(90.8 KiB) Downloaded 1285 times
bluetest1.jpg
(110.34 KiB) Downloaded 1276 times
MacFoxy15.jpg
(49.25 KiB) Downloaded 2422 times
Last edited by runtt21 on Sun 08 Mar 2009, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

kubots

Editing wbar program list?

#2 Post by kubots »

Hi - I was wondering if anyone could help me in editing the programs that are shown on the wbar? I'm using MacPuppy Foxy 1.5

I would like to add / remove certain 'most used shortcuts' (they are short cuts, yes?) in the bottom pop up, Mac bar, as I have no regular use for something like gimp (which I can always access from the "start" button if needed)

As I understand it, I need to manually edit the dot.wbar file in usr/share/wbar to reflect the programs I want.

For example

i: /usr/share/wbar/iconpack/wbar.osx/xcalc.png
c: xcalc
t: xcalc calculator

(where i = image, c = program to be launched and t: text displayed)

Well, doing all that and then choosing restart X server causes the computer to crash and not restart the GUI at all. (I'm trying all of this on the live CD, btw)

Can someone help me? I'm pretty dang green to all this

prit1

#3 Post by prit1 »

If there is a /root/.wbar file, then you should edit that file the same way you did.
Also, the wbar problem will not cause X server to crash. That should be some problem with the restart X server script.
Instead of doing the restart X server, can you try hitting "Ctrl+Backspace" and then from the console, type "xwin"? Let us know if this works any different.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

runtt21

#4 Post by runtt21 »

Prit1 is correct , you need to edit the .wbar file in the root folder. Click on the eye on the tool bar in rox to see that file, it's hidden. the file in the /usr/is where most of the icons and backgrounds for the bar are .

kubots

#5 Post by kubots »

Hi guys

Well, you were right that there was a hidden file in the root folder.

However, editing that file in gleany to include the following example (as a test; I'm not really so desperate to include xcalc on the bar) -

Code: Select all

and then exiting and restarting Xwin, causes the bar to dissapear entirely from the bottom! Zero, nada, zip down there.

Was I meant to edit both instances of this file simultaneously?

Removing the above, exiting and restarting makes it reapper (whew!)

Also, Ctrl and Backspace doesn't do anything: I have to go to "Start"-Shutdown-Exit to prompt

Help?

prit1

#6 Post by prit1 »

I am sorry. It should be Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to exit to the prompt.

When wbar does not appear after you add the extra lines, try opening a console window (dont exit to prompt), and run "wbar" to see what error message it shows.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

kubots

#7 Post by kubots »

Ok. I think I may have resolved this.

Typing the following fails

whereas typing this succeeds (albeit with the wrong icon!)

i:/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/zipdisk48.png
c:xcalc
t:xcalc calculator 
I'm guessing there's something it doesn't like about the xcalc.png icon. I'll try copying it to /usr/local/libs/x11/pixmaps and let you know what happens!

EDIT: Success! Woot! The rest is now just adding # infront of anything I want to comment out & adding further entries into the .wbar file I think?

`f00

#8 Post by `f00 »

Getting there :) - syntax is fun, isn't it? Although I haven't yet tried Macpup, wbar's one of my favorites for a launcher. Sometimes you need to simply leftclick once on the desktop to 'nudge' it if it doesn't appear right away. And yah, without an i: (image) for all apps that are listed it will be very shy. I like to use a full path to apps or commands although it can work with just a name. There's also a line in /root/.xinitrc that controls how wbar appears - for fun, type "wbar --help" then enterkey in your rxvt console :lol: , welcome to puppy documentation ;)

runtt21

#9 Post by runtt21 »

Kubots, if wbar cant find the icon you specify it wont launch just like you have found out. You need to put the icon you want in one of the pixmap folders and then add the location to the .wbar file. Then try it.

kubots

#10 Post by kubots »

Thanks guys - you helped me out :) I'm pretty green to all this, as I said, but it's nice to see there's an underlying logic

kubots

Firefox drama

#11 Post by kubots »

I've noticed that every now and again, for no good reason, Firefox will simply crash to desktop. Mostly, that's not a huge drama ("Would you like to restore previous session?"), except perhaps for those writing email (Yahoo automatically saves every x seconds to drafts, but still....)

Is anyone else getting this? Any ideas as to why? I'm running plain vanilla MacPuppy Foxy off a frugal install on a separate partition (per http://www.tinyurl.com/puppyinstall ). I think in the course of using the LiveCD, firefox automagically self updated to 2.0.0.20 if that makes any difference.

runtt21

#12 Post by runtt21 »

I don't know what to tell you about that. I have never had any problems with firefox 2 or 3. The first Foxy had FF3 but some people had problems with flash videos with it in puppy not just macpup . That was why we went back to FF2 in Foxy 1.5 . If you keep having problems with it you might try installing FF3 or Opera and see if they work better for you.

kubots

#13 Post by kubots »

Me either. I can't seem to repeat the circumstances that cause a crash. For example, I thought it was a particular website, as it would always crash FF. I tried it in Seamonkey - fine. FF - bang.

Restarted PC: no problem.

Weird.

(I'm using a Toshiba TE2000 with the stock standard components thereof, with an additional 256MB added)

Minor issue, anyway. Love MPF - it helped me overcome the the final hurdle (clutter, attractive ness and the 'simple enough for mom' factor) to crossing over into Puppy linux. That's not a trivial achievement,

kubots

#14 Post by kubots »

Another wbar question please.

I'm trying to add a icon to launch mspaint.exe (have installed wine: mspaint works fine - just click it via Rox and away it goes)

I tried various permutations, even copying mspaint to it's own folder on /

i:/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/mspaint.png
c:/Mspaint/mspaint.exe (also tried mspaint without .exe)
t:Mspaint

I just can't seem to get it to launch. The icon is in the wbar but pressing it does nothing. Any ideas?

Note: for some reason, typing wine into console / command prompt doesn't launch wine. I'm not sure why that is, as I followed the instructions on the wine thread to a tee.

(wine seems to have self installed to /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/picasa/wine/bin - the directory is locked - can't write to etc)

EDIT: I take it also that the icon file must be a png and not a gif?

CatDude

#15 Post by CatDude »

Hello kubots
kubots wrote:Another wbar question please.

I'm trying to add a icon to launch mspaint.exe (have installed wine: mspaint works fine - just click it via Rox and away it goes)
Here is an example that works for me:

i: /usr/share/wbar/wbar.icons/photogenetics.png
c: wine "/root/Wine/drive_c/Program Files/PhotoGenetics/PhotoGenetics.exe"
t: PhotoGenetics
Notice the full path to the .exe file is surrounded by double quotes.

kubots wrote: (wine seems to have self installed to /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share/picasa/wine/bin - the directory is locked - can't write to etc)
Do you not have a hidden directory here: /root/.wine
that is where it usually installs to.

In the example i gave above: /root/Wine is just a symlink to /root/.wine

Have you tried running: winecfg
from the console/terminal.

If not try it, then look for: /root/.wine
kubots wrote: EDIT: I take it also that the icon file must be a png and not a gif?
No, you can use a .gif if you want to.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

runtt21

#16 Post by runtt21 »

I just found this ,Its from last Nov. and yes Foxy 2.0 is much better IMO and Foxy E17 better than that ,but its a cool video. I have no Idea who made it.

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/macpup-1- ... y/12197111