Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Oct 2018, 19:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Enlightenment DR17 window manager for Puppy 3.00 and up
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
shankargopal

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2007, 06:52    Post subject:  Enlightenment DR17 window manager for Puppy 3.00 and up
Subject description: Beautiful window manager, updated version

This is an SFS file containing the Enlightenment DR17 window manager, compiled from August 26 2007 snapshots available at download.enlightenment.org (the latest CVS files do not compile). This is an update over the earlier version (for 2.12 - 2.17), available in this thread. If you want to stick to the earlier version, there's a fix available to make that work with 3.00 - see that thread.

Some advantages:
1. Enlightenment now has a desktop of its own (you can see an instance in the screenshot attached). Unfortunately (or not, from my point of view, since I hate desktops) the Rox pinboard still doesn't work with it, but you can make your own desktop just by dragging from the built in file manager.
2. The configuration menus are much better and more detailed.
3. Beautiful new themes.

To use it:
1. download the SFS file to your /mnt/home directory,
2. fire up Boot Manager and tell it to load the SFS file,
3. make the fix under "LIBRARY PATH FIX" below,
4. reboot,
5. Quit JWM with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and type:
Code:

# xwin enlightenment_start

Some caveats:
1. As said, Rox doesn't work with it. I also haven't quite figured out the menus yet - in this version there's no "Regenerate Menus" button easily accessible. Once I figure it out, will post here; should not take too long.

2. This will ONLY work with Puppy 3.00 and up (and has only been tested with 3.00).
It was compiled not in Puppy but in Zenwalk (too many problems compiling with Puppy), so it takes advantage of Puppy 3.00's Slackware 12 compatibility.

3. Some of the themes at www.get-e.org were updated too recently, after these snapshots, and won't work with it. Note that the modules posted earlier won't work with this version either. When I get around to compiling the new modules, will post.

LIBRARY PATH FIX:

Since it was compiled in Zenwalk, you will have to add this line to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file before you reboot:

Code:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib

Enlightenment will run without this, but you may have problems running enlightenment_remote.

The file is currently available at:

http://download.yousendit.com/0945063171E854B0

I ask that some kind soul such as MU upload it to one of the Puppy repositories, I can't do it... it'll be at that address for the next seven days.

Below is a screenshot of this version, with a desktop icon, running the E file manager, and with the Smoke theme (whose version on www.get-e.org unfortuntaely won't work with this version any more). For those who would like compatible versions of the Smoke, Crema, DarkRevolution and Steampunk themes, PM me and I'll try to send them to you.[url][/url]
shankargopal

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2007, 07:39    Post subject: EFL libraries too  

Those who are interested, maybe for other reasons, in the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries should note that the above SFS contains the compiled versions of the following libraries from their Aug 26 2007 snapshots:

eet
evas
ecore
efreet
embryo
edje
e_dbus

These are needed for enlightenment to run.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: