TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
darry19662018

#121 Post by darry19662018 »

Still enjoying this version of Puppy lovely and small makes for a nice system - worth persevering with.:)

mistfire

#122 Post by mistfire »

@hamoudoudou TazPup is just a plaything. This will prove that combining two distros is possible (one must on seated on top while the other was on the bottom) without total modification of a target distro you want to puppify.

Combining puppy with other distro is a necessary in order to survive because the development team was not fully formally organized unlike debian, ubuntu, red hat, etc. And most of the puppy developers were hobbyist which has a uncertain time to maintain packages up-to-date.

@Marv the menu problem about Wifi Configuration is now fixed.

peebee

#123 Post by peebee »

Hi mistfire

I tried using the tazbuilder to make a tazpup with upupbb as the puppy .iso

Sadly the resulting .iso would not boot - got kernel panic.....

I've uploaded it to:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... QWcSfCWJH7

in case you want to see what might have gone wrong....

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mistfire

#124 Post by mistfire »

@Peebee kernel panic triggers if init fails to execute. Here is what need to do to test if initrd fails

1. Extract initrd.xz from and get DISTRO_SPECS
2. Get a pristine puppy. Extract it and place DISTRO_SPECS of tazpup
3. Rebuild the initrd
4. configure the isolinux
5. Run the builder again

I hope it works

rg66

#125 Post by rg66 »

peebee wrote:I tried using the tazbuilder to make a tazpup with upupbb as the puppy .iso

Sadly the resulting .iso would not boot - got kernel panic.....
I get the same thing with X-slacko-4.4 and Slacko-6.9.9.9.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

mistfire

#126 Post by mistfire »

@rg66 thanks for feedback. Does isolinux shown on boot. And does initrd and vmlinuz sucessfully loaded?

There is one clear on the builder. Not all puppy kernels supports XZ decompression. I will switch initrd compression from xz to gz for the mean time

I think I found the persistence problem occured on @smokey and @ Marv. When I carefully studied the init script on initrd. If the filesystem of the drive was Linux filesystem, it searches for save directories only. I fix now the bug. It will now both search for save folder and save file in the linux filesystem.

Marv

#127 Post by Marv »

mistfire wrote:@Marv does the savefile able to find and loaded?
The savefile is found and loaded correctly. If I add a configuration, program, or testfile into the savefile while running another pup (If in Tux, setting permissions correctly), those changes show up correctly when booting tazpup. The problem is in writing to the savefile on reboots after the first. I suspected the -u and timestamp but I both carefully set the date & time before creating and testing the savefile, disabled it in snapmergepuppy, and used a very simple non -u usbsave from an old alphaOS with no change. I also thought that snapmergepuppy might be exiting if X is running (line 174 IIRC), but either disabling that or using the old usbsave gave no change also.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

#128 Post by rg66 »

mistfire wrote:@rg66 thanks for feedback. Does isolinux shown on boot. And does initrd and vmlinuz sucessfully loaded?
It panics at switch root.

mistfire

#129 Post by mistfire »

@rg66 I will try to figure out want went wrong

mistfire

#130 Post by mistfire »

@rg66 and @peebee may I know what kind of slitaz livecd did you use on tazbuilder?

peebee

#131 Post by peebee »

ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rg66

#132 Post by rg66 »

Same for me.

mistfire

#133 Post by mistfire »

@peebee and @rg66

Try to use the slitaz-rolling-core.iso to see if the output iso triggers kernel panic on switch root.

mistfire

#134 Post by mistfire »

@Marv maybe your right about time stamp issue on saving session. I noticed that initrd uses localtime, when slitaz run, its uses UTC. So I put a script temporarily which sets the clock to localtime before slitaz environment run. But I need a permanent solution

Marv

#135 Post by Marv »

Savefile working! snapmergepuppy requires a full find, not the busybox find as it doesn't support -mount. I had a heck of a time coming up with a full find old enough to run under glibc 2.14 which is in tazpup but finally dredged one up from a carolina light. Minimal tests as yet but it did save and preserve a test file in/home/Tux/Documents through a boot. I haven't tested more than that but I think that's progress.

Edit: Further configuration changes, panel setup, wifi setup, touchpad setup, Midori setup all saved and survive a reboot using 256Mb EXT2 savefile on the boot partition. Makes use MUCH easier. No tests to savefolder yet. Note: I do have date, timezone, and time set correctly.
Last edited by Marv on Fri 18 May 2018, 21:17, edited 2 times in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

8Geee

A little late but

#136 Post by 8Geee »

I popped Slitaz into my Asus eeePC-900a. Booted right up no problems. I see that the UTC clock "feature" has already been noted, but I can confirm. My guess is that might cause problems with time-stamp for sfs/saves.

At 81Mb quite the potent little pup. Programming Languages quite substantial. Desktop OK, nothing fancy, and I note scalable icons (?). Tossing in even my FF27-configured would substantially raise the iso over 100Mb.

For those who code this is quite nice.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

darry19662018

#137 Post by darry19662018 »

I found installing ntp seemed to solve the issue for me?

darry19662018

#138 Post by darry19662018 »

I have had more real fun this morning getting some Debian and Pup packages working they are Dejan's Simple GTKradio, gtkam from debian and old Gimp from Puppy(an sfs) tried to get dogradio working but it wouldn't run.

So sorry Hammy/Pelo this distro is a very usuable fun system to use and explore.

mistfire

#139 Post by mistfire »

@Marv thanks for reporting the solution on broken snapmergepuppy. I will try to look for a full version of find command. It seems were heading to beta stage. I need to fix the system time issue and the tazpup builder.

darry19662018

#140 Post by darry19662018 »

mistfire wrote:@Marv maybe your right about time stamp issue on saving session. I noticed that initrd uses localtime, when slitaz run, its uses UTC. So I put a script temporarily which sets the clock to localtime before slitaz environment run. But I need a permanent solution
Hi Mistfire.

Is it possible to put psync from puppy in the next revision as long as gtkdialog is installed this program can be used to alter the time to the correct one?