News, happenings
Aitch

#121 Post by Aitch »

big_bass/ttuuxxx

hi guys

I have a request, please - will you look at this

ftp://mirror.services.wisc.edu/mirrors/ ... /zipspeak/

http://mirror.lzu.edu.cn/os/slackware/s ... NSTALL.TXT

This is a project I found [2002] for a slackware speaking linux, assistive technology for the blind - could it be updated/adapted to puppy v5?
would you give it a look?

thanks

Aitch:)

alienjeff

#122 Post by alienjeff »

Aitch wrote:This is a project I found [2002] for a slackware speaking linux, assistive technology for the blind - could it be updated/adapted to puppy v5?
Sheesh. Is it being maintained? Updated? The reason I ask is that there are some around here who want to kick JWM to the curb because Joe's most recent was when? July 2007 for v2.0.1?
would you give it a look?
...at an "assistive technology for the blind." Open terminal, type: "dict irony" then dict chortle" ...
Last edited by alienjeff on Sat 18 Oct 2008, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

quietcat

espeak

#123 Post by quietcat »

I downloaded the espeak pup and it seems to work quite well under dingo 4.01.

a few scripts (no, i'm NOT gonna write them, i suck at it) to read a webpage or read the word under the cursor might be what you are looking for

Aitch

#124 Post by Aitch »

Quietcat

Not quite the same project

This one includes a speaking interface starting at bootup

It's based on the Speakup project/Zipspeak

http://www.linux-speakup.org/

AJ - still as sharp as ever, mind you don't cut something [off] :wink:

Aitch :)

justme

#125 Post by justme »

well....dang...puppy finally captures my attention with dingo and now I read puppy is wanting to nuzzle up to ubintu which I do not like...Hmmm...well one never knows..could be the best I have ever seen or a dead dog..one can only wait and see.

If I could get the spell checker to work on abiword which is bugging me then dingo is more than I had expected...and the fact that it does dial-up well is something all those still out there are looking for...all linux forums I have visited have frustrated posters looking to use it and here it is...

hang in there, you are already on your feet..just fix what is broken if anything and do not bite the hand that feeds...popularity does not come from ubintu..they just want you to think that. just like windows...mepis turned back..is there a lesson there?

just some thoughts from a new user

cb88

#126 Post by cb88 »

umm yeah i think slackware still supports this... they have had HW speech kernel in all the install disks i have tried and debian also just added support for it in the latest lenny RC

not sure this is what you are talking about but i think this is mostly for phone services
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#127 Post by Béèm »

I have made the remark before.
I prefer the development efforts go first to make the actual puppy more user friendly, more easier to configure, then rushing to a technical hype to 4.2 and 5.0
This will lead to much less questions in the beginners forum as very often people don't find in the menu's the configuration facility to adapt to their liking. Those beginners are totally unaware how to edit configuration files.
Specially a nice menu editor would be more then welcome.

I still feel puppy is for the technical freaks but not for the man in the street.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

ttuuxxx

#128 Post by ttuuxxx »

justme wrote: If I could get the spell checker to work on abiword which is bugging me then dingo is more than I had expected...and the fact that it does dial-up well is something all those still out there are looking for...all linux forums I have visited have frustrated posters looking to use it and here it is...
Did you go to /Edit/Prefrences/Spell Checking
and enable under General, check spelling as you type?
ttuuxxx
Attachments
spell check.png
(31.13 KiB) Downloaded 891 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

droope

#129 Post by droope »

MU wrote:no, undeb is very old (and usefull).
But it just extracts a deb, nothing more.
Like unzip.
But a Packagemanager/installer like apt-get is much more complex.

undeb can be the base for extended utilities.
I used it in pb-debianinstaller, and it could be used for a deb2tgz utility.
But some more things are required.
E.g. Puppy does not support, I think it was /etc/libexec.
Here debian stores symbolic links to programs.
I don't exactly remember it, but I had to add a function to deal with that in the pb-debianinstaller.
Other issues are, that older debs have their own menu system, not based on xdg. This also had to be adressed.
Mark
It would be awesome if Puppy was able to install .deb and .rpm files with just one click!!!

Is it really that complex? In general, what I do with my .deb files is to extract them in " / "and then I move the binaries from where they are to /bin/ :P

Sometimes it works. Would be lovely (L) Would make Puppy the only linux in my heart (L)

Far more lovely than a Ubunpuppy frankestein thing :(

Chairs, droope.

justme

#130 Post by justme »

ttuuxxx
thanks...did not mean to question that here...and yes...but it is a little bit more complicated than that...evidently you have not attempted to spell check a doc in abi...

but I have managed to get it to work with some hits on another post thanks. that appears something that could use some work. gparted gave me some issue also.

other than that I installed to a thumb drive, made a boot floppy for my p3, and added several programs with relative ease and used a dial-up connection with little effort. so joe on the street can get that far. I'm impressed...hope it boots on the other machines as slick as this one

cheers

WhoDo

#131 Post by WhoDo »

Béèm wrote:I have made the remark before.
I prefer the development efforts go first to make the actual puppy more user friendly, more easier to configure, then rushing to a technical hype to 4.2 and 5.0
But Béèm, that's precisely what 4.2 will be attempting ... enhanced usability, user friendliness, ease of configuration, etc. We have specifically avoided moving the techno-bar any higher for that release as it will be our first FULL standard edition as a community team, instead of the usual CE attempt to be all things to all people.

Puppy 4.2 will hopefully be a tamed, relatively flea-free Dingo, at least as far as that is possible.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Aitch

#132 Post by Aitch »

Béèm wrote:I prefer the development efforts go first to make the actual puppy more user friendly, more easier to configure, then rushing to a technical hype to 4.2 and 5.0
Second That!!
WhoDo wrote:We have specifically avoided moving the techno-bar any higher for that release as it will be our first FULL standard edition as a community team, instead of the usual CE attempt to be all things to all people.
Emphasised for those who may not have been aware of this

Thanks, WhoDo

Aitch :)