Puppeee 4.4 Beta Testing

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nooby

#121 Post by nooby »

Seems that puppeee 4.4 are different. All other puppies do show my Document and Settings dir with all the music and videos and picture directories but puppeee 4.4 show a white space and says not files. I tested and test and find no way to allow it to show the dirs. Fluppy010 has no such problem.

Edit after some 4 hours of sleep.
I have solved why Puppeee4.4. failed to get to documents one go to users instead. I had no idea that is the correct way.

I let it go another day and thought. Wow I have to solve this myself

And it was more easy than I could imagine. No other puppie out of some 20 I've tested needed to go this route but it works most likely on them too.

Instead of going through the symlink named documets I go to a Directory named Users. Most likely the correct one that I never thought of to use with any of the others.

so now I can reach my music. Problem very easily solved. Duh I am the most spinning propeller head existed ever. :)

I had no idea! Now it is so obvious. Sure I am a user.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jemimah

#122 Post by jemimah »

nooby

#123 Post by nooby »

eee-511 parole worked with wmv videos as far as I remember.
But eee-512 when trying to play a wmv file parole crash instantly each time.

I'm signing out and do same test in eee-511 within 10 minutes

Yes tested some 5 different wmv videos plus some mp4 and mov too and all of them work in eee-511 parole but the wmv crash in the eee-512 parole

jemimah

#124 Post by jemimah »

It works in fluppy011 right? The only thing I added was the mms plugin.

Try deleting /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstmms.so and see if it works after that.

nooby

#125 Post by nooby »

it works in eee-511 but not in eee-512 as I wrote above.

I tried two times to apply what you suggested and it failed both times so I wait for next update instead for giving it more time.

Ooops forgot to tell about Fluppy latest. I trust the same happen in puppeee I always fail to get the time right. Snow puppy has no such problem. it gets the time right each time and I set up both the same way. So something odd is going on how it relates to the hardware clock maybe compared to Snow Puppy.

dawnsboy

Parole in Fluppy 011

#126 Post by dawnsboy »

It works in fluppy011 right? The only thing I added was the mms plugin.

Try deleting /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstmms.so and see if it works after that.
Parole has 'trouble' with wmv files in Fluppy 011 on my Acer Aspire One D255. Freezes and drags during playback.

jemimah

#127 Post by jemimah »

nooby

#128 Post by nooby »

It sure did, writing from it now. I tested first to play mp4 and mov files to see if it worked as expected on them and then I tested 4 different wmv and all of them played without crashing.

What does that pet change? Can you incorporate it in the next release?
Thanks for working on it.

Snow Puppy show right local time each time but Puppeee show either one hour wrong plus or minus. I set it to Stockholm which is +1hour in relation to GMT/UTC and Snow Puppy just works and show right time and Puppeee show wrong time. So that is one reason I use Snow instead.

jemimah

#129 Post by jemimah »

nooby wrote:It sure did, writing from it now. I tested first to play mp4 and mov files to see if it worked as expected on them and then I tested 4 different wmv and all of them played without crashing.

What does that pet change? Can you incorporate it in the next release?
Thanks for working on it.

Snow Puppy show right local time each time but Puppeee show either one hour wrong plus or minus. I set it to Stockholm which is +1hour in relation to GMT/UTC and Snow Puppy just works and show right time and Puppeee show wrong time. So that is one reason I use Snow instead.
Yes the pet will go into the next release. This builds ffmpeg into gstreamer. as is recommended. I'll likely remove the other ffmpeg from the next release and package an ffmpeg for encoding separately.

I don't really know what's up with the time thing. You're the only person to mention it so far.

nooby

#130 Post by nooby »

Yes could be my extreme propeller head noobyness shining through but I act rather consistently like the other set up of Puppy OS and them don't get it wrong so something is different in the script. No big deal if I am the only one I can stand that anomality. :)

aarf

#131 Post by aarf »

libflashplayer is broken in 4.4beta8 celeron zip deleting the one in the mozilla folder and linking to my external one will then play omellete.swf in opera11

2lss

#132 Post by 2lss »

Using the latest beta:

Midori is running good. Only problem is that it crashes after adding a site to the thumbnail page.

Personal preference: I changed the icon size in rox filer and reverted the sorting back to the default (i.e. left to right, top to bottom)

Frisbee gui has some issues. The main network list refreshes a little too fast and the selection is lost. Also had a few issues auto-connecting (roam mode) on some networks after suspending. If I restart the wireless networking it will connect.

Other than that everything looks good.

On a side note, how do you add applications to the rox menu?

I created a .desktop file, dropped it in /usr/share/applications, and refreshed the menu, but I do not get an entry. Is there another step?

Also, I installed the wine sfs from the pet store and none of the menu entries showed up.

jemimah

#133 Post by jemimah »

For some reason, it's really picky about what desktop files it will accept - I always copy a working one and modify carefully. Also you won't get an entry if icewm can't find program binary.

2lss

#134 Post by 2lss »

jemimah wrote:For some reason, it's really picky about what desktop files it will accept - I always copy a working one and modify carefully. Also you won't get an entry if icewm can't find program binary.
I tried using a working .desktop file (actually copied the file and changed the name) but I'm still unable to get a menu entry.

Also tried installing a couple pets from the repos with ppm and did not get a menu entry either.

I looked here: http://www.skepticats.com/rox/rox-menu.html
There's no need to edit configuration files or use some overly complicated menu editor just to add an application to the menu. All you need to do is make a symlink to it
Is there a background process that does this in Puppy? Refreshing the menu (right click menu icon -> refresh) doesn't do anything.

EDIT: Looks like fixmenus is the process I was looking for however its not working correctly.

dougeeebear

#135 Post by dougeeebear »

In the terminal run:

fixmenus

EDIT: oops, too late

jemimah

#136 Post by jemimah »

Release Candidate 1, now available.

http://puppeee.com/files/puppeee4.4rc1/

jamesw

Problems creating save file

#137 Post by jamesw »

I'm trying the 4.4RC1 and have a problem, but it's most likely just to do with my newbie incompetence that Puppeee.

I have done a frugal install onto the SSD in my Eee 701 (partition sda1, enlarged to fill the disk and formatted to ext2). So far so good, but it won't create a save file. PupSaveConfig finds sda1 no problem, and I specify that it is to save there, but on shutdown it always says that the session is not being saved.

I don't know whether it is related, but I also have no /mnt/home - /mnt contains various other things, but not home. And if I go to /dev and click on /sda1, it says "I don't know how to open '/dev/sda1'". If I click on the sda1 drive icon on the desktop, it opens the filer window with all the expected files in it, but the window title is /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2.

I have searched the forum for enlightenment, but to no avail...

jemimah

#138 Post by jemimah »

RC2 should be out shortly with an upgraded pupsaveconfig. Please let me know if that solves your issue.

jemimah

#139 Post by jemimah »

Last edited by jemimah on Mon 14 Feb 2011, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
[url]http://saluki-linux.com[/url]

aarf

#140 Post by aarf »

Seems ok. only minor thing is this mime issue that is fixed in lucid http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 686#491686