For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
magerlab

#1321 Post by magerlab »

yes it seems that two fingers scrolling can be done
but i like just normal :)

i disabled elantech module

now it's fine!
thank you !
( strange, but i read in some places that it's synaptic and in other places that it's elantech:)
so now the only thing i need is to add some osd to backlight and rfkirll.
i'll try myself to make it

i did lsmod also and see that there are very few modules loaded
if i make a zdrv file will it help anyhow ?( faster boot and anything else)

remembering my eee pc 701 experience( i still use eee, but i need new keyboard since my son took out some letters ) i'd like to set powermanagement as good as possible:)
for example add scripts to disable usb and turn it on only when needed since i use usb not very often

maxpro4u

#1322 Post by maxpro4u »

jemimah wrote:There's a java sfs in the petstore. Is it out of date already?
I think the current version is 1.6.23
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

jemimah

#1323 Post by jemimah »

Could some people with nvidia cards please test this nouveau driver? You need to unblacklist the nouveau kernel module for it to work.
Attachments
nouveau-1.pet
(65.31 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

jemimah

#1324 Post by jemimah »

magerlab wrote:yes it seems that two fingers scrolling can be done
but i like just normal :)

i disabled elantech module

now it's fine!
thank you !
( strange, but i read in some places that it's synaptic and in other places that it's elantech:)
so now the only thing i need is to add some osd to backlight and rfkirll.
i'll try myself to make it

i did lsmod also and see that there are very few modules loaded
if i make a zdrv file will it help anyhow ?( faster boot and anything else)

remembering my eee pc 701 experience( i still use eee, but i need new keyboard since my son took out some letters ) i'd like to set powermanagement as good as possible:)
for example add scripts to disable usb and turn it on only when needed since i use usb not very often
Yeah I played around with the Elantech driver on my 701 that has that problem, but Calibrating with flSynclient fixed it.

Making a zdrive won't boot faster AFAIK. But it will allow you to use the zdrive cutter to remove extra drivers. However the cutter cuts everything that's not in use - so that's usually not what you want.

I believe this kernel is pretty good at suspending usb automatically. I've turned all the usb powermanagement stuff on.

You can look at puppeee to see some of the extra stuff I put in the powersaving scripts there, but honestly turning down the backlight saves by far the most power. I don't know if the samsungs have FSB underclocking but that also helps a lot.

Actually unloading the kernel modules for the wireless also helps a lot more than just rfkill. Rfkill alone doesn't seem to cut power to the wireless card - at least not on the Eee.

magerlab

#1325 Post by magerlab »

i wish i have more bash scripting skills...:)
so i have to add rmmode and modporbe commands somewhere to rfkill script

jemimah

#1326 Post by jemimah »

There's only one way to get them. :)

This is /etc/acpi/wlan.sh. You should be able to use it as-is I think.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
set -x

RADIO_STATE=$(/etc/acpi/radiostate);
WIFI_IF=$(cat /etc/acpi/wifi-interface)
WIFI_DRIVER=$(cat /etc/acpi/wifi-driver)

if [[ $1 == stop ]] ; then
 RADIO_STATE=1
fi
if [[ $1 == start ]] ; then
 RADIO_STATE=0
fi

case $RADIO_STATE in
    1)
        notify-send "Networking" "Shutting Down $WIFI_IF" -t 1000 -i network-offline
        /usr/local/Frisbee/disconnect 
        ifconfig $WIFI_IF down 2>/dev/null
        sleep 2
        rmmod $WIFI_DRIVER
        /etc/acpi/radiooff
        killall -SIGALRM gtrayicon
    ;;
    0)
        notify-send "Networking" "Bringing Up $WIFI_IF" -t 1000 -i network-idle
        /etc/acpi/radioon
        sleep 1
        modprobe $WIFI_DRIVER 2>/dev/null
        sleep 1
        /usr/local/Frisbee/connect 
    ;;
esac

#1327 Post by 106498 »

Hi Jemimah,

Do you keep a changelog somewhere of the changes you make in each successive fluppy release?
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

dawnsboy

Acer Aspire One USB Boot

#1328 Post by dawnsboy »

Jemimah wrote
Great news! Will it boot from USB? - I forgot to check if the init script needs to be modified.
It appears that this Acer Aspire One D255-2301 will not boot from an external flash drive that was created with the universal installer. It apparently will boot from an external usb hard drive. I was not able to test this assumption (about the external flash drive) as my flash drive went belly up during the process of installing the OS. I have no idea why or how. It is a relatively new drive.

I can confirm that the live cd will boot the computer from an external usb dvd/cd player. This was not possible with Fluppy 06 which is the only other version that I have on cd.

jemimah

#1329 Post by jemimah »

106498 wrote:Hi Jemimah,

Do you keep a changelog somewhere of the changes you make in each successive fluppy release?
I post the changelogs on this thread when I make a release.

bwh1969

ATI source

#1330 Post by bwh1969 »

jemimah wrote:bwh1969, If you send me a link to the source you want built - I'll probably do it. Is there only one ati driver? Or a bunch, like Nvidia?
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx
is the proprietary driver for radeon (fglrx)

There are previous versions for this driver and there is a link for those. I think the driver is supposed to work with a multitude of ati cards. I tried them all down to the lower 10.x and they all fail to build a module that will insert. The lower number drivers just fail to build altogether.

There is also a higher performance driver for ati and intel that is still open source that Macpup / Lucid allows for download via the pet package manager but I am not sure what they use as the source. I assume xorg itself?

I like the proprietary driver because the catalyst control center (created from the "run" file from the ati build package) has a setting that controls the fsb of the graphics on battery to decrease power consumption.

On MacPup and Lucid, I noticed significant sharpness on my screen after I installed the proprietary driver and fps went from 30 to 100.

I am sticking with fluppy however just because unlike the other puppies, EVERYTHING works (FN keys/hardware control) properly on my ASUS 1201T netbook, The touchpad is somewhat flaky and occasionally "sticky"and "jumpy." The only thing that does not work is wake from suspend but none of the puppies handle this well on this particular machine,

You have done a FANTASTIC job on this particular version of puppy. Thanks for all the work you have done on it.

I CAN get the latest package to build and it installs the catalyst control center, but like I said, I get the insmod error. If you manage to get an fglrx.ko that inserts with this kernel, you could just send me that and I could copy it over the defective one and see if it inserts for me.

jemimah

#1331 Post by jemimah »

Ok try this. This is just the kernel module (for Fluppy011) - you'll still need to install the ati package.

maxpro4u

parole media player

#1332 Post by maxpro4u »

parole doesn't play windows media files in firefox says a plug-in is not installed. I installed mplayer and all the pets and set it to default-now videos play in firefox
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb

nooby

#1333 Post by nooby »

Maybe I did test too sloppy forgot to test wmv but I do vaguely remember it worked for me. Should I go test again. Can you link to some such file that you have trouble with?

Okay here I am in Fluppy 11 and using Firefox pet that I installed updated FF to 3.6.13 but it fail to play .wmv so so far that is as you say.

But if I download the file to mnt/home and then click on it then Parole do play it nicely.

link to science nature site with wmv files.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Parkcast: South Rim Tour

http://www.nps.gov/blca/photosmultimedi ... srtour.htm

http://www.nps.gov/blca/photosmultimedi ... fe_400.wmv

How can I set up FF so it plays on site and one don't have to download it?

I log out now and go back to Snow Puppy and test that one same site.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#1334 Post by nooby »

Sorry such a bad example to use. Take forever to dl that file.

Maybe a short birdsong is easier as an example.

Anyway Snow Puppy use VLC and that one get activated instantly while the Parole in Fluppy 11 says that it does not have any assigned player to use for firefox so that is something I need to set up myself then in fluppy.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

tlchost

Save File Size

#1335 Post by tlchost »

Running Fluppy11 as a bootable USB. Set initial size to 512, but when clicking on the tray icon, system reports 1 gig save file with free space of 1 gig.

Properties of save file reported as 512 when right clicking on the file.

Fix for the above?

This is the only problem I've encountered so far...nice job.

Thom

magerlab

#1336 Post by magerlab »

i think that adding vlc-gtk and vlc-nogui pets would be a good thing :)

concerning energy savings : i found a set of laptop-mode scripts and description here:http://www.voria.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33

i wonder if there will any effect in puppy and if they will conflct with jemimah's scrpits.

jemimah

Re: parole media player

#1337 Post by jemimah »

maxpro4u wrote:parole doesn't play windows media files in firefox says a plug-in is not installed. I installed mplayer and all the pets and set it to default-now videos play in firefox
Do you have a link? The mime-types are controlled in /etx/mozpluggerrc.

jemimah

#1338 Post by jemimah »

nooby wrote:Maybe I did test too sloppy forgot to test wmv but I do vaguely remember it worked for me. Should I go test again. Can you link to some such file that you have trouble with?

Okay here I am in Fluppy 11 and using Firefox pet that I installed updated FF to 3.6.13 but it fail to play .wmv so so far that is as you say.

But if I download the file to mnt/home and then click on it then Parole do play it nicely.

link to science nature site with wmv files.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Parkcast: South Rim Tour

http://www.nps.gov/blca/photosmultimedi ... srtour.htm

http://www.nps.gov/blca/photosmultimedi ... fe_400.wmv

How can I set up FF so it plays on site and one don't have to download it?

I log out now and go back to Snow Puppy and test that one same site.
This link does work in Chome (but the website confuses Midori :( ). It's not a Parole problem. I"ll checkout Firefox when I get a chance.

jemimah

Re: Save File Size

#1339 Post by jemimah »

tlchost wrote:Running Fluppy11 as a bootable USB. Set initial size to 512, but when clicking on the tray icon, system reports 1 gig save file with free space of 1 gig.

Properties of save file reported as 512 when right clicking on the file.

Fix for the above?

This is the only problem I've encountered so far...nice job.

Thom
The only modification I made from Barry's code is to open the save file
resizer on right click. I see he has a version 2.3 posted. I'll update and see if that helps.

maxpro4u

Re: parole media player

#1340 Post by maxpro4u »

jemimah wrote:
maxpro4u wrote:parole doesn't play windows media files in firefox says a plug-in is not installed. I installed mplayer and all the pets and set it to default-now videos play in firefox
Do you have a link? The mime-types are controlled in /etx/mozpluggerrc.
local tv station- cleveland
http://www.wkyc.com/
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb