Slacko(32/64) 6.3.2/6.3.0 bug reports.

Please post any bugs you have found
01micko

#141 Post by 01micko »

Karl Godt wrote:
But what? Maybe we can write our own frontend to ppp??
I am no Coder .. Good Luck ! :)
What do you think pgprs is? Just a simple set of chat scripts.
Karl Godt wrote:Hmmm ... pppd relies on wvstream ?
Other way around.
Karl Godt wrote:Nevertheless, I used pupdial because I had knowledge about wvdial .

But recognizing how easier pgprs-connect is, I only used that .
pupdial is somehow a piece of crap IMO .
It overwrites /etc/wvdial.conf all the time.
Manual changes therein got deleted , which frustrated me much !

So, Bottom line is : Drop pupdial and wvdial all together and only use pgprs-connect !
Certainly not as silly as it sounds. Pupdial is awful. Wvdial/wvstreams is bitrotten. Ppp survives ok and will do for some time along with chat. I think we can relegate pupdial, wvdial and wvstreams to the repo. Dial up is all but dead. And if you do have it it isn't much good unless you use a text based browser. (lynks, links, elinks whatever).

Pgprs could be adapted to modem dongle usage. I remember getting a successful connection in 2008 when I bought my first dongle and Pupdial didn't even support 3G modems. I'm sure it would be simpler, lighter (wvstreams is massive) and less bug prone. (1 less layer of complexity).

So this is the topic of a new thread. You want to start the conversation Karl? :)
Karl Godt wrote:I am also using an USB modem now by Huawei, that came with some linux usb_modeswitch bin and scripts ,
that uses cdc-ether, usbnet and e1000e .ko
and runs on eth1 with dhcpcd without any pppd or chat or wvdial .
Scripts were written in year 2008 for Red-Hat and SUSE with sysvinit that contained patches that created 3 additional binaries .
That sounds similar to the experience I had a page or two back.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

unicorn316386

#142 Post by unicorn316386 »

01micko wrote:Attached below is a modified firewall_ng. Just gunzip the package, make it executable and overwrite the version in /usr/sbin.

It includes a new 'generic' checkbox on by default plus it now remembers settings. There are also new buttons to reload/refresh and one to add custom rules.

Have fun!
Very nice. It even works when setting it up offline, then connecting after and running XChat and Firefox (from what I can tell).

tenbob

#143 Post by tenbob »

@01micko

Thanks for your help, but I'm still unable to boot my laptop with Slacko-6.3.0. I just get a flicker then a black screen after 'Booting the kernel'.

I tried your suggestion 'puppy modprobe.blacklist=via'. I tried with and without 'pfix=nox' but still a black screen in every case.

For comparison, I can boot OK with Precise Puppy 5.7.1. Also LXLE. I've not had a problem in the past with other Linux distros.

If there's no obvious solution I will just use something else. Thanks, Bob

nubc

#144 Post by nubc »

gnome-mplayer does not allow user to drag progress bullet to advance a movie-sized mp4.

01micko

#145 Post by 01micko »

nubc wrote:gnome-mplayer does not allow user to drag progress bullet to advance a movie-sized mp4.
It does here in 32 bit and 64 bit. Tested with 2 full length movie mp4 files. Maybe its a graphics card limitation of your system? Mind you, my kit is certainly not the most modern. 64 bit machine is 5 yo, 32 bit 6 yo, nvidia and intel graphics respectively.

nubc

#146 Post by nubc »

Correction: it's a .avi file. I've had this problem with mplayer on several occasions, not necessarily this version, not necessarily this computer. It's the reason why I prefer VLC, which never gives the problem. On the other hand, I just installed VLC, and VLC gives an error that the file is broken, offers me three options, including one to index the file before playing. As usual, VLC played the file despite errors. I tried VLC on a couple more movie files, and did not receive the warning. Off the top of my head, my best guess is that this is an interrupted, incomplete download. Recommendations? Maybe I'll convert to mp4, see if the rest of the movie (about 25 minutes of 149) becomes available.

EDIT: It's an incomplete file.

simes

Debian files in Slacko Puppy

#147 Post by simes »

Hi, this is feedback rather than a bug report. I like Slacko 6.3 a lot. I use the 32-bit version in a frugal installation. I needed a printer driver for a recent Brother printer (HL-3140CW, though that isn't very relevant). There was no driver in CUPS and no PPD file, nor could I find any driver compiled for Slackware. But I did find a couple of .deb files compiled for Ubuntu. To my surprise, Slacko 6.3 recognised the .deb files and Puppy Package Manager processed them without complaint. I ran the Brother installation script and the result is a working printer - very good. Is Slacko Puppy designed to install Debian installation files? If so, I didn't realise.

Baldronicus

Slacko64-6.3.0-Dark Mouse theme- Fat 16 and 32 filesystems

#148 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi. Thank you to 01Micko and all involved in Puppy.

I hope I am not unintentionally doubling up on a problem that has already been reported. I hadn't noticed anything, but as
there is a suspicion that, the following might be related to themes, maybe a fix might already be available.

The following is based on a live test of the base Slacko64-6.3.0, without any patches etc.

When using the Dark Mouse theme in Slacko64-6.3.0, Fat16 and Fat32 filesystems (in this case USB sticks)
are identified as msdos filesystems (at least with this system) and hence long filenames etc are truncated.
If an affected USB stick is left attached (but not mounted) and X is restarted (xwin command needed), then the filesystem is identified correctly.
If the stick is removed, and another inserted, then identification of that filesystem reverts to msdos.

The problem does not seem to present itself with the default Buntoo (?- I am running off memory) theme.
Both Fat16 and Fat32 seemed to be identified as vfat with that theme.

Thanks.

Baldronicus

Slacko32-6.3.0- standard theme- Fat16 filesystem

#149 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi again,

I thought I should post this separately as it relates to Slacko32 rather than Slacko64.

With a base Slacko32-6.3.0 and the standard theme, Fat16 filesystems (in this case a USB stick) appear to be identified as msdos.
Fat32 filesystems seem to be identified as vfat (as expected).

I haven't tried restarting X (as above) with this system (at least not as yet) as I hadn't thought of it at the time (yes, I had actually
checked Slacko32 first).

Again, I hope I am not wasting your time with something that would already be fixed.

Thanks again.

nubc

#150 Post by nubc »

Could it be that the outdated Flash is the cause of cumulative slow-down and lag? I go to a site, the browser just spins time, and finally out pops a notification that Flash is too old. Is Flash that important? Is there a workaround for Flash, to disable it, whatever?

01micko

#151 Post by 01micko »

nubc

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lashblock/

That might help. My original get_flash had a link to it in the GUI but I don't maintain it any more.

Unless you visit a lot of so called 'news' sites you might be able to get away without flash at all.

-----------------------------------

Baldronicus.. long time no see :)

That is certainly a strange issue. Maybe one of the mount options for vfat is wrong in the mount script. I'll take a look, but it seems strange that it's fixed after an X restart or in another theme.

Sage

#152 Post by Sage »

might be able to get away without flash at all
..sadly still not possible for Brits using BBC iPlayer (most). We live in hope, but management inside Auntie is as bad as ever...

Baldronicus

#153 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi 01Micko,

Thanks for looking into it.

Yes, you can tell I don't post much, eh? I sometimes visit "on the quiet".

Thanks again.

Baldronicus

Update re filesystem identification problem

#154 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi again 01Micko,

As usual, never rely on The Baldric!

I thought I should have another look. I have only checked with Slacko64 at this stage.

It now appears that the problem might relate to the order in which the respective USB sticks are used, rather than the theme (even one as unknowledgable as I thought it odd that a theme would change this kind of thing).

It now appears that if a USB key with Fat16 filesystem is inserted first after the system is started, then it is identified as msdos. Subsequent USB keys used, regardless of whether they are Fat16 or Fat32, also appear to be identified as msdos.

If a Fat 32 based USB key is inserted first after system start then it is identified as vfat. Fat16 and Fat32 keys subsequently inserted also appear to be identified as vfat.

I think I was getting the theme side of it mixed up as I wasn't realising that I was switching USB key order.

Please accept my apologies for the incorrect description in the initial post.

I guess, in one way, this problem description makes more sense,

Again, thankyou and apologies.

Baldronicus

Update re filesystem identification problem

#155 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi again.

Have made a quick check with Slacko32-6.3.0 and the problem appears to be the same as per Slacko64- not themes, but a matter of the filesystem of the first USB key inserted after startup. Haven't tried restarting X, or anything.

Come to think of it, I also don't know why the Fat16 filesystem would be initially identified as msdos?

Although rushed, hopefully these later attempts at describing the problem are more accurate and helpful than the initial ones.

Again, thanks and apologies.

nubc

Default FF does not open to Home Page in Slack 630

#156 Post by nubc »

I don't understand Firefox ESR 38.4.0, the way it opens the browser. I am accustomed to clicking on the browser icon or +tab to get Google Search. Instead when FF opens I get a multiple choice [tiles] similar to the bookmarks for an Android browser. Significantly, the default search engine available on the unexpected multiple choice page is not labeled, so you can't tell what search engine it is, until it comes up Yahoo search results. So I guess this is a sneaky way to get users to try Yahoo Search. So even if I change that default search engine to Google Search, I still don't get the basic Google Search page, I get this undesired multiple choice [tiles] page. The home page is set to www.google.com. Firefox is set to start with the home page. Why am I starting with this multiple choice [tiles] page when FF is set to start with the Home page (Google Search)?

Baldronicus

#157 Post by Baldronicus »

Hi nubc.

Please accept my apologies in advance should I be wasting your time- I am very much out of my depth.
I have only tried checking the new Firefox offline as I am not using Slacko 6.3.0 on the net as yet (as usual, I am slow).

Use of the plus sign symbol seems to open a "New Tab" tab or page, which seems to have it's own mode setting options.
In the default case of it being in "Enhanced" mode you should see a link and a cog symbol to the right of the page.
The link gives a pop-up with an explanation of the purposes of the tiled links, including that some of them maybe sponsored by mozilla partners
(they will apparently be identifiable). It also mentions that some analytical information would be collected etc by Mozilla to provide the service associated with the tile links.
If you click on the cog symbol further to the right, three mode options should be available.
Enhanced- which is the default. Classic- which looks the same as Enhanced when offline- I don't know what the difference is.
And then there is Blank- which provides a blank page. There does not seem to be a "Home Page" option.

When offline, the search on the Enhanced mode page seems to go to the "searchSuggestionTable", although I could be mis-interpreting things.
When I tried it offline it went to (or I should say it attempted to go to) the Default Search Engine, Google. It may be that the behaviour changes when the tiles are active in an online environment. Another possibility is that there might have been a glitch, in that Yahoo is the next search engine listed after Google in the "One-click Search Engines" list (please see below).

I would presume that if the Blank mode option was selected then searches in the Location, and Search bars would go to the Default Search Engine unless you selected another. (I would also hope this would disable their analytics stuff, but, I guess, probably not). I know this is not really what you are seeking, but would it be close enough to be usable, and OK?

In the main Firefox Preferences, beneath the "General" entries group that are used to set the "Home page" etc, there is a grouping called "Search". There is provision for setting the "Default Search Engine" etc, and then there is the "One-click Search engines" list.
Maybe un-ticking, or perhaps even removing (there are Remove and Restore buttons at the bottom of the list) the engines that you do not want to use, might help with things (it might also help with identifying if the Yahoo thing was just a glitch, with some link just going to the wrong entry in the list).

Again, I hope I haven't wasted your time waffling on about things you are already aware of (or otherwise not being of much help- I know this is not
a "real answer" to the problem).

Thanks.

unicorn316386

Re: Default FF does not open to Home Page in Slack 630

#158 Post by unicorn316386 »

nubc wrote:I don't understand Firefox ESR 38.4.0, the way it opens the browser. I am accustomed to clicking on the browser icon or +tab to get Google Search. Instead when FF opens I get a multiple choice [tiles] similar to the bookmarks for an Android browser.
Another way to change the +tab back in FF38 is to type "about:config" in the url bar, click "Yes" to the warning, search for "newtab.url", and change it's value to "www.google.com". I have mine set to the puppy page "file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm".

edit: Changing it to "about:home" brings up the search page too (Google for me) and loads faster.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(20.01 KiB) Downloaded 1395 times

sgniner

#159 Post by sgniner »

new puppyuser, trying to get my head around the way you do things. couple errors ive run into.

1) when trying to do a install to USB flash drive, it get to the point of asking where the ISO file is and then says that it cant write to the USB drive. I have the drive formatted, but as soon as it hits this point all of a sudden the drive has no partition. I open gparted and format the drive in ext2 (or ext4) go through the process and it fails every time. then if I open gparted again it will report that the drive has no partitions at all.
I've tried using bootflash and the f2fs method and both failed.

I did eventually get it installed by just copying the files to my hard disk and editing my grub files.

I installed openbox without a problem. I had no menu's of course so i installed obmenu so I could make them, but obmenu requires python. So that should be listed a dependency. However the problem was when I tried to install python.

2) when trying to install python install with ppm it gets stuck and doesnt comlete. It will open the shell and do its thing but eventually it just stops and then doesnt complete.
The last few lines are:

Code: Select all

+ for ONEFILEin '$FNDFILES'
++ file --brief -
++ grep --extended-regexp 'LSB executable|shared object'
I have tried the python2 and python3 packages and they both fail at the same point.

i launched ppm from its own shell window and the last few lines in that window are:

/usr/local/petget/installmodes.sh: line424: 1283 killed                      ./isr/lib/gtkdialog/box_splash -close never -text "$gettext 'Please wait, calculating total required space for the installation...')"
3) what is the method to open the initrd.gz in slacko? I tried what i used to do in Arch but it didnt work.

mavrothal

#160 Post by mavrothal »

sgniner wrote:2) when trying to install python install with ppm it gets stuck and doesnt comlete. It will open the shell and do its thing but eventually it just stops and then doesnt complete.
You just found a bug!
This is because check_deps.sh (the for loop, to be precise) can not handle spaces in the filenames.
This patch in woof fixes it.
BTW Python is in the devx sfs and probably the reason that no one got this earlier.
sgniner wrote:3) what is the method to open the initrd.gz in slacko? I tried what i used to do in Arch but it didnt work.

mkdir some_dir
cd some_dir
gunzip -c /path/to/initrd.gz | cpio -i
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==