ArtfulPup (& Upup-Bionic-Beaver-RC)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
belham2

Re: guilty for garbled audio with youtube.

#141 Post by belham2 »

hamoudoudou wrote:about Light easy to check if this browser is guilty for garbled audio with youtube. Test it on different Puppy.
Choose Palemoon instead included in the ISO if LIGHT is useless, at least untill troubles solved..
I bet Light is not guilty.. Yet used and youtube was working well. Peebee what give a test in your computer ?
Nowadays the browser is the essential tool for Computer owner, after connectivity of course.. Desktop icons or JWM version are final settings. Icon missing will not prevent to play Puppy.. Be Lucid...
light-49.0.linux-i686_6.sfs: 24 M loaded on tahrpup 6.0.5. You tube audio is perfect :!: [b]But Icon is missing [/b]. My god, icon missing..

Apulse pet to install (same as Firefox)

hamoudoudou,

Icon, if you want to use Light browser, is located in:

/usr/local/lib/light/browser/icons/mozicon128.png

Billtoo

ZestyPup - Beta build

#142 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install of 17.10.11 to the hard drive of my
lenovo Thinkcentre Desktop:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sun 15 Oct 2017 on ZestyPup 17.10.11 Linux 4.9.56-lxpup-32-pae i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)

X Server: Xorg Driver: evdev
X.Org version: 1.19.3
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1049x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 387.12

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2003 1: @2003 MHz

I installed applications with PPM + installed the proprietary nvidia
driver.

After loading the kernel source + devx + black listing the nouveau
driver I rebooted and exited to the prompt.

When I did sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-387.12.run an error message appeared on
the screen:

"kernel was build with gcc version 7.1.0 but the compiler version is cc
Ubuntu 5.4.1 - Ubuntu1 20170304"

I chose to ignore the warning and go ahead, seems to be working well so
far.

Thanks
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(28.75 KiB) Downloaded 428 times

belham2

same keyboard mapping problem as in LxPupSc

#143 Post by belham2 »

Well, this problem I reported about in LxPupSc is now appearing here in the latest iteration of Zesty 17.10.11, except this time it is launching PupSnap instead of 'mtpaint -s'.

Peebee, whatever hardware you're making/building/compiling your stuff on, either it (or maybe it's the newer kernels) sure hates my laptops & their built-in keyboards :cry: Guess I'm the only one seeing this, so will live with it and keep fixing it manually. It would be so cool if this happened on the "other" Up arrow key----the one with the number 8 on it. I never use the arrow keys with numbers on them, but it would soon become 2nd nature to do so for the "8 + Up arrow" key if it actually did launch PupSnap every time you hit it. Unfortunately PupSnap on Zesty now launches on the "Up" arrow (the one by itself) when you touch it , which is NOT what I want since I hit that key when trying to move the cursor quickly in a vertical direction.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 657#969657

peebee

Re: same keyboard mapping problem as in LxPupSc

#144 Post by peebee »

belham2 wrote:PupSnap on Zesty now launches on the "Up" arrow
Was this a pristine install??

No PupSnap in ZestyPup.....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#145 Post by peebee »

Themes with JWM-2.3.7 have been fixed in woof-ce by @zigbert - many thanks
@radky has advised that JWMDesk and PupClockSet should be removed from the build as they are not compatible with PTheme and will confuse users
@zigbert asked for PBackup to be removed
@hamoudoudou asked for apulse to be added

hence:
Delta to ZestyPup-17.10.12

@bigpup - Testing of PupControl can of course continue against the 17.10.11 base. [edit] I now have a set of tweaks for the PupControl image which will appear in next delta and I think answers most issues - e.g. wallpaper and momanager both fixed [/edit]

kernel 4.9.56 is indeed compiled with GCC-7 in LxPupSc.
Last edited by peebee on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

belham2

Re: same keyboard mapping problem as in LxPupSc

#146 Post by belham2 »

peebee wrote:
belham2 wrote:PupSnap on Zesty now launches on the "Up" arrow
Was this a pristine install??

No PupSnap in ZestyPup.....

Maybe I'm mistaken but "PupSnap" comes in Radky's FbBox-5.0, which is what I installed on a pristine install?

Going to check now, I will another 'frugal' install of 17.10.11, pristine, and see what the "Up" key holds.

[UPDATE]

On a frugal, pristine Zestypup the "Up" arrow functions as it should (pic below is after me hitting that "Up" arrow repeatedly at first bootup). So, I don't know what happened or what happens when Radky's FbBox-5.0 installs. Whatever happens, that "Up" arrow gets re-mapped. Going to try and install FbBox-5.0 again on another new install, and make sure it is FbBox and not me :) . Thanks, Peebee
Attachments
zestypup-pristine-up-arrow-works-as-it-should.png
(179.64 KiB) Downloaded 332 times

Marv

#147 Post by Marv »

pristine frugal install of 17.10.12 up and running well. JWM-2.3.7 now supports the clockstyle tag again. As an example I'm using

Code: Select all

<ClockStyle>
	  <Font>Sans-16:oblique:normal</Font>
	  <Foreground>blue</Foreground>
  </ClockStyle> 
in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme with the result below.
Attachments
clockstyled.png
(6.99 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

hamoudoudou

Default browser Light a good choice.

#148 Post by hamoudoudou »

Apulse is necessary to solve garbled sound in you tube, and make Default browser Light a good choice. I ask nothing.
Perhaps different solutions exists (Made in US). I feed back was how I do at home on my computer. that could be not universal,

However the lightness of Light should not be an excuse to be unable to play video Youtube, as suggested. Puppy Linux users know the small size does not mean bad. (as getting old does not mean getting bad)
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#149 Post by ally »

hamoudoudou, what browser do you use

palemoon

seamonkey

chrome

chromium

dillo

netsurf

midori

firefox

slimjet

iron

opera

qtweb

tor

elinks

icecat

vivaldi

whichever is put in the iso somebody will be disappointed, best thing to do is just install what you want

there have been builds without a browser at all, it can make it awkward to find and download, something is better than nothing

:)

hamoudoudou

I use U-Light, provided free in the ISO

#150 Post by hamoudoudou »

I use U-Light, PeeBee Idea, provided free in the ISO, a clever choice . Add the pet (37k) and everything working well (sound in You Tube)

Billtoo

ZestyPup - Beta build

#151 Post by Billtoo »

I applied the delta and did a manual frugal install to the hard drive of my lenovo desktop:

# inxi -bw
System: Host: puppypc26371 Kernel: 4.9.56-lxpup-32-pae i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.7
Distro: ZestyPup 17.10.12
Machine: Device: desktop System: LENOVO product: 7491B8U v: ThinkCentre M58e serial: MJ01509
Mobo: LENOVO model: N/A serial: INVALID BIOS: LENOVO v: 5HKT39AUS date: 06/17/2009
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (-MCP-) speed/max: 2336/3003 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Display Server: X.org 1.19.3 driver: nouveau tty size: 113x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Marvell 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
Card-2: D-Link System AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter(rev.C1) [Ralink RT2571W] driver: rt73usb
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (9.2% used)
Weather: Conditions: 70 F (21 C) - Overcast Time: October 15, 11:50 AM EDT
Info: Processes: 168 Uptime: 1:01 Memory: 459.0/4041.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8
#

I added applications with PPM, I'm giving the nouveau driver a try this time.

Seems to be working well so far,
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(29.02 KiB) Downloaded 729 times

hamoudoudou

"Open with"

#152 Post by hamoudoudou »

"Open with" was working well with (not will) links cloned from Xenial.
That is true that 'Open With' is poor. The Xenial one is not rich.
Why XenialDog is able to provide more applications keeping the ISO smaller than our Puppies ? Check the useless libs, as Mistfire did with Slacko..
A painter would not paint straight on old layer. Devs should do the same. Just treesize your Puppy will make some evidences.

peebee

#153 Post by peebee »

hamoudoudou wrote:This Zest pup version is very slow..
Anybody else have this impression?

Certainly running htop in LxPupSc compared to ZestyPup shows that a process running /usr/libexec/Xorg - /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg ..... is consuming a greater amount of cpu power in ZestyPup....
7-10% compared to c.2% - both with kernel 4.9.56 and with 4.13.6 (i.e. same as LxPupSc)

Any thoughts?

zigbert

#154 Post by zigbert »

My suggestion to save some space:
The build includes 11 cursor themes of totally 8 Mb.

I think it would be more logical that the global theme package includes the cursors it uses.
Last edited by zigbert on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#155 Post by zigbert »

/usr/sbin/pdesktop is deactivated for the jwm-menu. It would be handy to have it available.

Marv

#156 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:

Certainly running htop in LxPupSc compared to ZestyPup shows that a process running /usr/libexec/Xorg - /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg ..... is consuming a greater amount of cpu power in ZestyPup....
7-10% compared to c.2% - both with kernel 4.9.56 and with 4.13.6 (i.e. same as LxPupSc)

Any thoughts?
I see pretty much the same numbers for those pups you do using htop, 6% vs 1.5%, on my i5 laptop. That notwithstanding, Zesty actually 'feels' a bit snappier to me on this laptop. Opening programs, menus, general use. DVDs and CDs play stutter free on both, Scrolling in slimjet is pretty much the same etc. glxgears FPS is about 10% slower under Zesty but that varies easily that much from kernel/driver to kernel/driver combo even on same-line pup updates. Not a red flag for me there. Unfortunately my Pentium Ms have all gone to the pound. They'd be a better test of 'slowness'. I wonder what specific hardware and programs or functions feel slow. Interesting, I just looked at time to populate one of my image directories with thumbnails. Always starting with nothing cached. pcmanfm on lxpupsc 17.10.22 = 5 seconds. pcmanfm and roxfiler on zesty 17.10.12 both = 3 seconds. Zesty, once through the theme teething, feels snug and quick to me.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

belham2

#157 Post by belham2 »

peebee wrote:

Any thoughts?
Zestypup, slow? Not here it is not (on both desktops and this old core i3 laptop). The max I have seen with Htop on /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg is 6%, and more usually it is 4-5%. On LxPupSc, same thing, it hovers between 4-6%. Plus, even with one Zesty frugal install running Radky's FbBox, and another running Battleshooter's XFCE, and the last a pure pristine Zesty, they are all snappy & programs open and run just as fast as any of my other pups & Ddogs. So I am not sure where hamou's comment that "this Zesty Pup version is slow...." is coming from. Given the b!tching display he put on concerning the browser, count me as a little circumspect. I think you've done a great job with this, Peebee. It's hard for me to believe, though, that by Jan/Feb '18, Ubuntu is going to ditch Zesty all together. Stuff moves like a hurricane nowadays.
Attachments
xorg-here-is-max-6%-more-usually-4%.jpg
(110.52 KiB) Downloaded 539 times

bigpup

#158 Post by bigpup »

Unless you can find something that is not needed being loaded into memory and using CPU.

Does anyone really understand how these multi-core processors are being used in Linux and Puppy?

I would not worry about minor speed differences between Puppy versions.

Keep in mind with new improvements to Puppy core programs.
Their size changes.
Supporting software size changes.
Kernel improvements usually require size changes.
Memory and CPU usage changes.

/usr/libexec/Xorg is dealing with the graphics resources.
A lot of stuff can affect that.
Graphics driver.
Running programs graphics demands.
Graphics settings that display stuff.
Etc....

Do wonder, when Light browser is running, seems to be a lot of /usr/libexec/Xorg entries in Htop. :?:

It was not long ago that a internet browser would startup in 1 or 2 seconds.
Those new bloated things now take 5, 6 or more seconds to startup.

Hardware is always the big speed controller. :shock:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Billtoo

ZestyPup - Beta build

#159 Post by Billtoo »

I got rid of the kernel sources devx mismatch error when installing the proprietary Nvidia driver by compiling the 4.9.56 kernel from Zestypup.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sun 15 Oct 2017 on ZestyPup 17.10.12 Linux 4.9.56-pae i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)

X Server: Xorg Driver: evdev
X.Org version: 1.19.3
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1049x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 387.12

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2003 1: @2003 MHz

For my own use only,no offence intended.

Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(28.85 KiB) Downloaded 487 times

hamoudoudou

Don't change what i said, please.

#160 Post by hamoudoudou »

Don't change what i said, please.. I said the last version is slow. Slow means that a picture does not appear immediatly, but by a scrolling. pixels coming slow , very slow. as audio was on You Tube..
The question is why ? belham answer is that is not true.. ???
I suppose the kernel is the reason. (Suppose)
My feedback can be ignored. That is for you. I am back to the first version, without the icon for U-light, and this odd JWM some of you don't like.
I was just testing Zesty.. XenialDog will remain active still not a Puppy able to do as easy.
Ubuntu as seasonal names (6months ) between LTS versions.. Zesty, unicorm, vivid... Sometimes a season has no change, or changes about unity, not used by Puppy.
My interest in Zesty was coming back to FFMpeg..
There are 50MB useless (for 3D) None app runs with 3D excepted Bino.(50MB = 18MB less in the ISO)
Attachments
rat.jpg
Puppy For Hungary ? just a Zest... please
(39.07 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Thu 19 Oct 2017, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.