Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#1401 Post by playdayz »

Wasn't sure whether 5.2.8-005 superceded Plus
No, it is an alternative for "1) If you have had any driver problems with Lucid 5.2.8.004; 2) if you have an HP printer or scanner and have had trouble configuring it; 3) if you want Lucid with the new ffmpeg and Pmusic 2.x"

I will try to make this clear when I move Lucid Plus to the first message of this forum.

Lucid 5.2.8.005 with Libre Office 3.5.1 built-in

Would anyone be interested in this? Libre Office is included and integrated with the desktop icons and default programs. Also, I think the Libre programs open a bit faster since they are loaded into ram as part of the lupu-528.sfs. But it is 294MB, so it would need a computer with at least 600 MB ram to load into ram (2 x 294MB ~ 600MB)

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupul ... .8.005.iso
551060f48142028d866a2bfb7989cbce
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

otropogo

#1402 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:
Sage wrote:
Lucid 5.2.8.005 RC
OK, PD, got me confused now (not difficult).
How does this relate to LupuPlus 5.2.8-001 ?
Lucid 5.2.8.005 is the original Lucid with the latest Puppy Program updates (plus the Abiword and guvcview fixes). Lucid Plus also has the Puppy program updates but it also has the 41 extra drivers, the hplip HP printer and scanner database, and the new ffmpeg and the 2.x Pmusic (as well as some changes to the driver infrastructure). From now on there will be 3 flavors of Lucid: Original, Plus, and Three-Headed Dog. As ICPUG suggested the next version of Plus will be 005 to indicate that Plus and original are similarly updated.
Is there any chance of updating the ntfs-3g driver in one or all of these lupus?

Native support for USB3.0 would also be a big boon.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

playdayz

#1403 Post by playdayz »

Is there any chance of updating the ntfs-3g driver in one or all of these lupus?
Is there an alternate that has been tested?
Same basic question, is there a pet that has been found to work reliably?

At this stage in Lucid's life I truly don't have time to research and test an alternate ntfs-3g driver, for instance. I was amazed to get lucky on the Abiword Help and guvcview. But if a person or more can write up the problem and the tested solution it would make it much easier and I would like to do it.

There is another consideration, that a change has to be thoroughly tested to make sure it fixes a problem and doesn't cause any others and Lucid is much shorter on testers now than it was.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

majorfoo

#1404 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
Would anyone be interested in this? Libre Office is included and integrated with the desktop icons and default programs. Also, I think the Libre programs open a bit faster since they are loaded into ram as part of the lupu-528.sfs. But it is 294MB, so it would need a computer with at least 600 MB ram to load into ram (2 x 294MB ~ 600MB)

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupulibre-528.005.iso
551060f48142028d866a2bfb7989cbce
Tried to download above - no go - received error 404 - not found

playdayz

#1405 Post by playdayz »

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupul ... .8.005.iso

My mistake majorfoo. The link is correct now. Thanks.

majorfoo

#1406 Post by majorfoo »

Downloaded the new lupu-libre-5.2.8-005 iso

It is very nice to have libre office as part of the package. Opens a tad slower than Abiword and Gnumeric, but works just fine. Help available in both Libre Writer and Libre Calc.

I will do a full install later tonight and report back. I have Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz,2gb mem, so should run faster from hard drive than the live cd.

Another feather in your cap - thanks for all your hard work and dedication to the puppy community.

kevin bowers

#1407 Post by kevin bowers »

playdayz wrote:http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupul ... .8.005.iso
Interested? Absolutely! I have two concerns, though. One is that I have been entirely unable to open .pps files in LibreOffice in any of the versions of Lucid 528 I've tried (most of them). The GUI appears and immediately disappears. So despite my political preferences I'm using OpenOffice. There was a setting in earlier versions that would allow one to open slideshows in a window by default rather than full-screen, and that worked, but I can no longer find that setting. The other problem is mine, that I have downloaded too much stuff lately and am approaching the point where I will be shut down to dialup speeds, but perhaps I can borrow the ISP at work to deal with that!

playdayz

#1408 Post by playdayz »

One is that I have been entirely unable to open .pps files in LibreOffice in any of the versions of Lucid 528 I've tried (most of them).
I don't know much about this, but I found some test pps files on the web and LibreOffice 3.5.1 in Lucid Libre opened them.

bigpup

#1409 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

When I stated I got HomeBank help->content to work, showing the web page link to HomeBank in Firefox browser. I thought it was something you had done messing with Firefox 11-Lucid-2.pet. It seems it is something I did, messing with defaultbrowser (usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser) and making a script (called browser), that called for starting the defaultbrowser. I was playing with putting this stuff in other than the normal puppy locations to try and fix another problem I had. Finding HomeBamk->help->content working was a chance fix.
The problem is, I have no clue what I did to make it work. :cry: :? :shock:

Lucid 5.2.8.005 RC frugal install to USB flash drive.
No problems. I tried all the updated programs. Basics seem OK.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1410 Post by Lobster »

Lucid 5.2.8.005 with Libre Office 3.5.1 built-in.
After a familiar browser, a reliable Office Suite is probably the most required expectation. Lucid is still complete, up to date and useful enough to enable us to point users to this complete solution. Go with your instincts Larry.
Lucid+ Libre, sounds good to me . . . :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

ICPUG

#1411 Post by ICPUG »

playdayz wrote: Lucid 5.2.8.005 with Libre Office 3.5.1 built-in

I have always maintained at least 2 Puppies on my machines. The first is what I regard as suitable for a home user and Lupu 5.2.N.xxxx has filled that notch for quite a while now.

The second Puppy is what I regard is for the Professional User. Currently that place is secured by Lighthouse Puppy. However, if Tazoc's absence is extended then Lighhouse becomes more and more out of date with its apps. LupuLibre could well fit into that slot. One thing that Lighthouse has though, that I think is quite important, is Wine inbuilt. This allows me to run those absolutely brilliant Windows programs that are never going to be ported to Linux. There aren't many (!) but Wine can be very handy when you've got one.

How much of Lupu Plus would be needed in LupuLibre to make sure it was professional? - the abilility to work with HP printers certainly. Would there need to be an in-built browser? Tricky one that as it reopens browser wars!

As you come up with these new proposals, Playdayz, I am beginning to see the argument of whether Lupu is an official Puppy as becoming irrelevant.

Lupu, Lupu Plus and Lupu Professional are the official Lupus!

While based on Puppy they are deviating from the Puppy ethos in a significant way. They are biased towards users, rather than biased towards developers. They have more 'help'.

Lupu is a whole new ecosystem.

In this scheme of things I would drop the 'Lucid'. This helps to dissociate Lupu from the incorrect Lucid Ubuntu derivative tag and associate it with the Puppy derivative tag.

Must stop rambling ... The answer to the original question is YES.

Jasper

LibreOffice

#1412 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdayz et al,

I wonder if the way I load LibreOffice in Slacko 5.3.1 with JWM would work in the latest versions of Lucid and, if so, if it may be of some interest.

If the SFS, first listed below as a PET, works using any SFS loader then you might see if you get an alternative JWM menu after applying this:

Code: Select all

jwm_menu_create && jwm -restart && exit
If it works and you want to revert to your normal JWM menu, try:

Code: Select all

fixmenus
If all goes well, you may try one or both of seaside's SFS pets listed below.

The advantages I find are:
(1) seaside's SFS programs (all-at-once and one-at-a-time versions) load near instantaneously because they omit checks.
(2) technosaurus' jwm pet (to which I made one tiny change and converted to an SFS) is 15 times faster than "fixmenus"
(3) RAM usage is relatively and amazingly negligible.
(4) LibreOffice modules load really fast.
(5) I also like to put LibreOffice Quickstart in my System Tray.
(6) I can unload LibreOffice and other SFS' near instantaneously with SFSunloader. (included with Exec for one-at-a time loads).
(7) Everything is fast except if you want to run "fixmenus", but you don't have to use it if you are content with Quickstart and don't update initially or are happy with the technosaurus menu.

As the Forum doesn't accept sfs files AFTER downloading CHANGE the jwm tools pet extension to sfs
Attachments
jwm_tools-0.9.pet
(16 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
SFSdirload-standalone-0.3.pet
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
SFS-exec.pet
(3.54 KiB) Downloaded 231 times

playdayz

#1413 Post by playdayz »

seaside's SFS programs (all-at-once and one-at-a-time versions) load near instantaneously because they omit checks.
Jasper, I am very much interested in having the Libre Office programs start up faster, if that is what you mean. In Lupu Libre they start up better than usual because they are loaded into ram, but as majorfoo said they are still not instantaneous as Abiword, etc. I thought that was just because Libre Office programs load slower.
HomeBank help->content to work, It seems it is something I did, messing with defaultbrowser (usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser) and making a script (called browser), that called for starting the defaultbrowser.
Ha-ha BigPup, Yes, I thought it must have been something about your system because I could not recreate it. Thanks for the tips--I will experiment with them. Please let me know if you see anything else. Thanks. It seems like it wasn't just a script named browser in /usr/bin, darn it.
LupuLibre to make sure it was professional? - the abilility to work with HP printers certainly
ICPUG, Do you mean Lupu Libre should contain hpliplite as Lupu Plus does? That's doable. Lupu Professional -- Maybe so. Would there need to be an in-built browser? Tricky one that as it reopens browser wars! Lobster mentioned that also. I understand. There are good reasons for a default built-in browser. Browser choice in Lupu was an attempt to offer customization since different people prefer different browsers. Thanks to 01micko it works smoothly enough imho that I will probably let it stand. Plus, adding a browser would push Lupu Libre/Professional over 300MB.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 16:11, edited 6 times in total.

Jasper

#1414 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdayz,

Try it - it's nearly as fast as Abiword//Gnumeric once loaded (and also quick to load) and with hardly any RAM usage say, 20-40 MB.

My regards

I don't pretend to have a deep unde4rstanding, but it's very very fast fo me.

playdayz

#1415 Post by playdayz »

Try it - it's nearly as fast as Abiword//Gnumeric once loaded
Uh, How do I try it? What do I do? Is there a link? Thanks.

Jasper

#1416 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdayz,

Hi first download the jwm pet and change it's extension to sfs and load it using your current sfs loader, Later you can use a seaside program.

Then try the create menu code.

If all goes well download and install seaside's exec pet.

Then with the rightclick menu load LibreOffice sfs with right click and then right click the "exec" probably above your usual sfs loader, Then run the create menu code.

I can be available for about an hour, but I'm sure seaside will help as needed and there are some tweaks available, but for starters perhaps just test speed and RAM usage?

My regards

playdayz

#1417 Post by playdayz »

Jasper, I see. Thanks. At the moment I am interested in having the programs open faster in LupuLibre, which has Libre Office built-in *not* installed as an additional sfs, so i think this might not be applicable there.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#1418 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdayz,

Ok signing off now. Hope you find any tests interesting - the method may be good for some of your versions and possibly those with less RAM.

My regards and thank you again for all the help you extended to me.

otropogo

#1419 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:
Is there an alternate that has been tested?
I don't know of any pet. The version lupu528 contains is unreliable in the following respects on my sytem:

On the USB2.0 port, it unpredictably presents the following issues:

1. mounts ntfs partitions read-only, or

2. when two external ntfs formatted hdds are found, will (apparently randomly) mount one read-write, and the other read-only.

(Sometimes it will load both hdds in read-write mode, sometimes both it read-only).

NB: ntfs partitions on hdds connected via the IDE or SATA bus are not affected by this glitch, in my experience.

The ntfs-3G driver currently provided for CentOS users does not exhibit any of these issues:
use-ntfs-3g i686 2010.10.2-1.el6.rf rpmforge 637 k
https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/vi ... post157985

Aitch has reported elsewhere in these forums that he successfully installed the above version of the ntfs-3G driver in lupu, and that it works properly. But he gave no details of the method of installation or where he obtained the package.
Same basic question, is there a pet that has been found to work reliably?[/quote]

There is a pet,

xhci-k2.6.33.2.pet

and it works, but not exactly reliably. I have only limited experience to report from since currently my only USB3.0 capable PC is a laptop using a PCI-E cardbus USB3.0 adapter.

Will need to refresh my memory as to the exact problems encountered. I do recall that the adapter and all devices must be attached when booting Lupu in order to activate this port, and no hot plugging is possible afterward. Once a device is unmounted, the port can't be used again.

Slacko5.29.6 provided this level of support natively, and IIRC, somewhat more reliably. But I need to check my previous posts, and perhaps run some more test.

But having even this level of support beats having to reboot into Windows in order to make a backup or transfer of files IMO.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

OscarTalks

#1420 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello playdayz,

Is there any chance the issue of the need for updated firmware for my wireless adapter can be fixed in Lupu or is it not possible with the kernel used?

Pemasu understands it all fully and we discussed it in the Racy/Wary beta thread in the Bugs section recently. Racy now works with this adapter and latest Slacko beta does too. The firmware is rt2870.bin, I tried placing the (downloaded) new file in /lib/firmware but it didn't solve it in Lupu. Signals are detected but not the WPA ones.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=45
Last edited by OscarTalks on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England