tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
666philb

#1441 Post by 666philb »

s243a wrote:There is a problem with how palemoon is called in tahrpup 6.0.5.

if I use the command defaultbrowser the following script is executed:

/usr/bin/palemoon

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
   APP='/usr/bin/palemoon.bin'
#script to run $APP as spot...
ARGS=""
[ "$1" ] && while [ "$1" ]; do ARGS="$ARGS "$1""; shift; done
if [ $(id -u) -eq 0 ]; then
 [ $XAUTHORITY ] && cp $XAUTHORITY /root/spot/.Xauthority 2>/dev/null
 touch /root/spot/.Xauthority
 #following line is mostly there to catch any root:root files that may have got copied in...
 find /root/spot \( -not -user spot -or -not -group spot \) -exec chown -h spot:spot {} \; &
 export XAUTHORITY=/root/spot/.Xauthority  
 export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/root/spot/.config
 export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/root/spot/.cache
 export XDG_DATA_HOME=/root/spot/.local/share
 exec su spot -s /bin/sh -c ""$APP" $ARGS"
else #precaution
 exec "$APP" "$ARGS"
fi
Which then executes:

/usr/bin/palemoon.bin

#!/bin/sh
/opt/palemoon/palemoon /usr/share/doc/home.htm &
palemoon2
which then executes:
/usr/bin/palemoon2

#!/bin/sh
rm /usr/bin/palemoon
ln -s /opt/palemoon/palemoon /usr/bin/palemoon
There are a few problems here. First the script palemoon2 tries to delete
/usr/bin/palemoon
and replace it with the "non-run-as-spot" version.

This seems to be prevented because
/usr/bin/palemoon
is right protected. Also the script
/usr/bin/palemoon.bin
does not use the input arguments that were passed to it by /usr/bin/palemoon and instead just opens the puppy linux home page. This prevents one for instance from opening a specific link as a new tab with the default browser from the command line.

I'm going to patch my installation as follows:

In:
/usr/bin/palemoon

I'm going to replace

APP='/usr/bin/palemoon.bin'
with

APP='/opt/palemoon/palemoon'
This is just a hack since I don't know the intent of these scripts.
hi s243a,
this is there just for the first run of palemoon so that it opens the welcome page... after that first run the script is deleted and replaced with a link to the palemoon binary
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

Re: add program to tray

#1442 Post by 666philb »

trefux wrote:Hello,

I'm use for a long time Lucid Puppy. Install and try Tahr Puppy too. Version: tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

How can I setup the "Cpu temperature" and the "CPU monitor" show on the the tray, on Tahr Puppy?
On Lucid Puppy have Pfbpanel, and setup easy.

Thanks
try quickpet>>>useful pets>>>tempicontray
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

newpet

Resizing desktop icons

#1443 Post by newpet »

Hello,

I'm a happy tahrpup 6.0.5 32b user. How can I resize/shrink desktop icons, shortcuts, symlinks and drivers icons, for exemple from 48x48 pixels to 32x32 ?

Thanks

trefux

#1444 Post by trefux »

666philb wrote:

I'm use for a long time Lucid Puppy. Install and try Tahr Puppy too. Version: tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

How can I setup the "Cpu temperature" and the "CPU monitor" show on the the tray, on Tahr Puppy?

Thanks
Thanks your help. I installed, but i have a problem with it. Post there topic, maybe help somebody.

Mike Walsh

#1445 Post by Mike Walsh »

trefux wrote:
666philb wrote:

Thanks
Thanks your help. I installed, but i have a problem with it. Post there topic, maybe help somebody.
Did you restart the 'X' server? The temperature monitor won't show up until after you do this.

Edit:- My mistake, I see you have. Perhaps give this a try instead..?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98299

pmcputemp is the newer version of the older 'tempicon' available through the Tahrpup Quickpet. Phil has used this in Tahr64; 'tempicon' is known to be a wee bit temperamental sometimes. Brownmouse says that tempicon doesn't work with his/her dual-core P4. I can confirm that it won't work with my single-core P4 either.

'Pmcputemp', however, does. You'll need to uninstall 'tempicon' first, using the 'Uninstall' part of the PPM. Reboot, install 'pmcputemp', then restart 'X'. It should show up. It has a background which changes colour, from blue, through green, orange, and up to red, as temps increase.....so you have a visual warning of temperature increases without needing to look closely all the time.

Hope that helps.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

tahrpup 6.0.5 remasterized for Hungarian users

#1446 Post by Pelo »

tahrpup 6.0.5 remasterized for Hungarian users made available by skaminux-hu click the blue
Iso has been transformed to Zip.
Nilson Morales did a Spanish version too for South America (link to come)
330MB done
Language should not create two Puppy's worlds. Puppy is ONE, International , Overseas.
Puppies speaking different languages are growing they own future. We must try to break the wall..
Users speaking a little bit English should post here again.. let us try.. With -S-kami and Nilson Morales, first, with feed back of their thousands of users.

trefux

#1447 Post by trefux »

Mike Walsh wrote:
trefux wrote:
666philb wrote: try quickpet>>>useful pets>>>tempicontray
Did you restart the 'X' server? The temperature monitor won't show up until after you do this.

Edit:- My mistake, I see you have. Perhaps give this a try instead..?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98299

pmcputemp is the newer version of the older 'tempicon' available through the Tahrpup Quickpet. Phil has used this in Tahr64; 'tempicon' is known to be a wee bit temperamental sometimes. Brownmouse says that tempicon doesn't work with his/her dual-core P4. I can confirm that it won't work with my single-core P4 either.

'Pmcputemp', however, does. You'll need to uninstall 'tempicon' first, using the 'Uninstall' part of the PPM. Reboot, install 'pmcputemp', then restart 'X'. It should show up. It has a background which changes colour, from blue, through green, orange, and up to red, as temps increase.....so you have a visual warning of temperature increases without needing to look closely all the time.

Hope that helps.

Mike. :wink:

Hello Mike!

If the "tempicon" dont work, I will try "pmcputemp". Maybe one work for me too. Come back later.

Thanks your help!

backi

#1448 Post by backi »

Hi you !

I have an Tahrpup 6.0.5 frugally installed on Usb stick .
Not quite sure if this is the appropriate place to ask .
Need some help .

I want to avoid saving automatically to Usb-Stick during session ...(for example if i am testing new pets or debs or installing something for testing .)

Although Puppy Eventmanager the Save-session is set to 0 , when installing pets or debs they are saved immediately to flash device .

Need support .

Thanks

backi

Want to avoid automatic savings to flash when installing pet

#1449 Post by backi »

Hi you !
Need some help .
This is meant just for installing locally pets or debs or using Puppy Packet Manager .....

Using Tahrpup 6.0.5 frugally installed to Usbflash with savefolder.
I want to avoid saving automatically to Usb-Stick during session ...(for example if i am testing new pets or debs or installing something for testing .)

I have set Puppy-Event-Manager Save-Intervals =0

Although Puppy Eventmanager the Save-session is set to 0 , when installing pets or debs they are saved immediately saved to to flash device .

I also tried pupsaveconfig 2.2.6.But does not prevent direct savings to flash
Set options to 0 (save never ) ...also in Puppy Event manager (Save Intervals =0 )
tested with installing a pet local ( not installed from PPmanager)..but it was immediately saved to flash .
Only other things like configurations or symlinks or changings during session will not be saved directly.
Also tried in Packet Manager to tick option inPacke Manager-Configure_Option....install to tmpfs instead of the Savefile till Session is saved ....but it does not prevent installing immediately to flash when installing from Puppy Packetmanager or installing locally pets or debs .
e is one thing i do when using Tahrpup or any other Xenial or Precise to prevent savings to flash.
Making changes like configurations ,Symlinks or changings during session will not be saved directly to flash (except using save2flash )
There is one thing which helps when using Tahrpup or any other Xenial or Precise to prevent savings to flash ,
I use to install on older Packet Manager shinobars petget-20120418.pet from
http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/

It keeps the whole session in ram and so it prevents the unwanted automatic savings to flash.
But this spoils the new version of PPManager and set it to the older one .Quite annoying.
Can`t remember where i found this advise.
Understanding how this works is way too high for me .
But maybe there is some information in this which could be useful for somebody .

shinobars petget-20120418

mavrothal

Re: Want to avoid automatic savings to flash when installing pet

#1450 Post by mavrothal »

backi wrote:Using Tahrpup 6.0.5 frugally installed to Usbflash with savefolder.
This is user configurable (for systems with low RAM and thus tempfs or just less test-oriented users)
Attachments
option.png
(49.58 KiB) Downloaded 838 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

nic007

#1451 Post by nic007 »

Hi, backi. It seems the confusion stems from how the usage of save files and save folders are implemented by puppy respectively. I've never used a save folder before (seems to be a new thing since 2014) so I have created one to see how it works. First thing I've noticed is that all workings of the save folder happens outside of the running filesystem (if you click the home icon you will see the running filesystem). All references to the save folder in the running filesystem links to the save folder which is situated outside the running filesystem and resides on a linux partition on the drive. If you click on the home icon (to enter the running filesystem) and go to /initrd you will find reference to the save folder ie. pup_rw. Note however that this is just a shortcut to the save folder on your linux partition which follows that any changes you make will immediately be saved to the save folder on the linux partition on your drive (so it seems). When you use a save file instead, you will find that /initrd/pup_rw is actually an actual folder in the running filesystem which makes it possible that changes can be saved to RAM before it's written to the save file. It therefor looks to me as if session changes settings in the puppy event manager are only applicable as far as save files are concerned...but I may be wrong.
Last edited by nic007 on Mon 19 Sep 2016, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Enceladus

#1452 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

mavrothal wrote:This is user configurable (for systems with low RAM and thus tempfs or just less test-oriented users)
Nice. Never knew about this option until now. Sounds like exactly what backi is looking for and I've always been curious also. I just checked and didn't see it in the menu, then realized I'm in PUPMODE=5 so makes sense, I'll try again with a savefile later.

nic007

#1453 Post by nic007 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
mavrothal wrote:This is user configurable (for systems with low RAM and thus tempfs or just less test-oriented users)
Nice. Never knew about this option until now. Sounds like exactly what backi is looking for and I've always been curious also. I just checked and didn't see it in the menu, then realized I'm in PUPMODE=5 so makes sense, I'll try again with a savefile later.
Does it work when you have a save folder instead of a save file?

newpet

#1454 Post by newpet »

/

Hello,

Tahrpup 6.0.5.

Problem: When I try to manually change my save-file name, it results in a broken file.

for example:

tahrsave_crypta-abc.2fs --------> tahrsave_crypta-def.2fs

How can I safely change its name, in order to duplicate the file ? Any help ?

Thanks.

\

backi

Re: Want to avoid automatic savings to flash when installing

#1455 Post by backi »

Hi nice007 !
As i said above ....i can do all i want to do after i installed
shinobar petget-20120418

Set PupEvent Save-Interval =0
But it brings back an older version of Puppy Packet-manager .
It ( not saving directly to flash ) works after installing the petget-20120418 with Save-folder too .Everything is then working completely in ram .

mavrothal

#1456 Post by mavrothal »

nic007 wrote:
Sailor Enceladus wrote:
This option is available only in pupmode 3, 7 and 13 (when you see a save icon on your desktop)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

nic007

#1457 Post by nic007 »

mavrothal wrote:
nic007 wrote:
Sailor Enceladus wrote: Nice. Never knew about this option until now. Sounds like exactly what backi is looking for and I've always been curious also. I just checked and didn't see it in the menu, then realized I'm in PUPMODE=5 so makes sense, I'll try again with a savefile later.
This option is available only in pupmode 3, 7 and 13 (when you see a save icon on your desktop)
Okay so doesn't matter if you are using a save file or save folder. Good, thanks

gyro

#1458 Post by gyro »

My intended comment is no longer needed.
gyro

watchdog

#1459 Post by watchdog »

newpet wrote:/
Tahrpup 6.0.5.

Problem: When I try to manually change my save-file name, it results in a broken file.

for example:

When you copy the savefile is it in use? I copy lightencrypted savefiles also in use. When I copy a lightencrypted savefile at first boot it complains a not properly shutdown session but I click "ignore" and it works. I suggest to try to copy the heavily encrypted savefile from a living session with pfix=ram.

newpet

#1460 Post by newpet »

watchdog wrote:
newpet wrote:/
Tahrpup 6.0.5.

for example:

When you copy the savefile is it in use? I copy lightencrypted savefiles also in use. When I copy a lightencrypted savefile at first boot it complains a not properly shutdown session but I click "ignore" and it works. I suggest to try to copy the heavily encrypted savefile from a living session with pfix=ram.
Hi, watchdog,
I just make a copy of the .2fs file. Eventually, I have two identical .2fs files (same md5), but with slightly different names.
The oddity is that when I switch in order to use the just created clone-file, it does not recko it, saying: 'Updating... layered-filesystem next boot will be faster!
When done, a popup warns: 'Your old pinboard file has been converted to the new XML format.'
But the desktop is empty, and I merely can shut the pc off.
Also, the two files remain unchanged and untouched.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks