XP theme for jwm (1.0.5 only)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Alienx

#16 Post by Alienx »

I propose a third variant to XP theme :wink:
Attachments
puppy-xp-alienx.jpg
(83.66 KiB) Downloaded 1851 times
puppy-xp-alienx.tar.gz
(726 Bytes) Downloaded 484 times
Sorry, broken english above :-)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

Looks nice.
I'm downloading it now, will line em all up, see what gets into 1.0.6!

pakt

#18 Post by pakt »

BarryK wrote:pakt,
that looks good!

...is it possible to get rid of the "building blocks" in the sky?
After twisting and turning the original litrix image any number of times, I managed to get this result. It is within the 50KB limit I set (in fact it is exactly 50KB ;) ) and has the least number of compression artifacts I could get within that file size.

If a better quality image is desired (less than or equal to 50KB in size), we should try to find a similar image but with fewer nuances of color. The sky in this image shifts from dark blue to light blue making compression distortion especially noticeable.

Is the result good enough or should we look for another image?
Attachments
litrix_q68.jpg
(50.04 KiB) Downloaded 1059 times

Alienx

#19 Post by Alienx »

WONDERFUL work, pakt ! :D

can you teach us how to do it ?

some guidelines ?

please !!!!! :wink:

pakt

#20 Post by pakt »

Alienx wrote:WONDERFUL work, pakt ! :D

can you teach us how to do it ?

some guidelines ?

please !!!!! :wink:
Thanks for the praise, Alienx ;). I'm just sorry I couldn't make the image a little sharper, but that would have made the file size a lot bigger.

I am definitly not an expert on image manipulation, and this is the first time I used the Gimp, so it took some experimentation to figure out how to do things. It turned out that I got the best result by simple means. This is what I ended up doing.

After saving Barry's original litrix image to harddisk and starting The Gimp with the saved image:

- From menu: 'Image' -> 'Scale Image...' and under 'Quality', set 'Interpolation' to 'Cubic (Best)'. Then changed the image from 1024x768 to 800x600 and clicked 'Scale'.

- From menu: 'Tools' -> 'Color Tools' -> 'Levels' changed Gamma from 1.00 to 1.10 then clicked 'OK'. (I have found that increasing Gamma instead of increasing brightness and/or lowering contrast to lighten an image often gives better results.)

- From menu: 'File' -> 'Save as...' -> 'litrix_lean.jpg'. Clicked 'Save' and the 'Save as JPEG' window popped up (here I could set the JPEG image 'quality', ie, how much of the image detail to keep - lower 'Quality' = less detail = more distortion).

- Clicked 'Show Preview in image window' then 'Advanced Options'. Here I could see what the 'File size' would be when changing 'Quality' (default=85) while at the same time seeing the effect of the Quality setting on the image. I found that by setting Quality to 68, I could get the File size down to 50.0 kB without too much distortion. Clicked on 'OK' - that's it :D

pakt

#21 Post by pakt »

May I offer one last revision of the image? You will probably be tired of this wallpaper by now ;), but by allowing the image file size to increase by about 30kB, this image is sharper and, IMHO, more pleasing to the eye.

(For the curious: I sharpened the original image (factor=1), lowered contrast (from 50 to 45), increased gamma (from 1.00 to 1.10) then saved it at 800x600 with JPEG quality=85)
Attachments
litrix_q85.jpg
(81.37 KiB) Downloaded 905 times

Alienx

#22 Post by Alienx »

great job pakt, thanks for the tips :wink:

gliezl

#23 Post by gliezl »

is it possible for the JWM start button to have a different color such as olive green? As an ordinary user, can i change that?
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]