tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
prehistoric

#1581 Post by prehistoric »

gyro wrote:@prehistoric,

Have you considered that the keyboard problem might not be related to the nvidia module?...
I've had that keyboard working on that system running tahrpup606 previously. However, just to be sure I did reboot with pfix=ram,nox to check. The keyboard works. Even just exiting from the X system brings me to a console where I can type.

I've also done more experiments with 6.0.6, to check if I screwed up something else. I wiped out my save folder and started from scratch, just running from the desktop long enough to set the time, create a save folder, load the sfs files needed, blacklist nouveau, reboot and run the nvidia .run file. This produced the same result. Also tried not telling it to install the 32-bit compatibility libraries it offered.

The problem is with the way the nvidia configuration script sets up the X-window system. Unfortunately, I quit trying to follow the changes in the X system about 10 years ago. This is particularly frustrated because everything except the keyboard appears to work.

I also installed and ran the getnvidia pet. As I thought it would do, it built the sfs file for the nvidia 375.26 driver, which will not run on my old system. Note: I'm working with tahrpup64, but posted in both topics because I believe the nvidia problems are common to both versions.

bigpup

#1582 Post by bigpup »

Sorry, I have to ask.

You are getting the nvidia driver for 32bit Linux and using it in Tahrpup 32bit?
The Nvidia 64bit driver for Tahrpup64 bit?
Not trying to use a 32bit driver in a 64 bit system or 64 bit driver in a 32 bit system?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

musher0

#1583 Post by musher0 »

666philb wrote:tahrpup-6.0.6 iso uploaded.

this fixes the few problems reported with 6.0.5.3 and updates quickpet.

i'll leave this in testing for a few days and if all's well, i'll move it the tahr repo and update the first post

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/tahrpup/
Hi philb

Please forgive the late report. Your tahrpup-606 works fine on my
machine (please see

Code: Select all

lshw -short 
report attached as archive my-box.zip).

The only thing I noticed is that the jwm theme seems to be stuck. This
usually means there is a bug somewhere in the jwm configuration files.

IHTH.
Attachments
tahrpup606-Listening_to_Hope_on_an_Arctic_Road-799x450.jpg
(63.06 KiB) Downloaded 933 times
my-box.zip
(871 Bytes) Downloaded 79 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

prehistoric

#1584 Post by prehistoric »

@bigpup,

Not an unreasonable question. I did pick up the wrong file on some downloads, but that was resolved before I ever posted. I went through a previous battle getting 304.134 to work on Fatdog 710. The fact that that works doesn't help us much because Fatdog has departed from the Puppy Linux model, and is now built according to Linux From Scratch methods. This meant it was closer to what the nvidia script expected of a Linux system.

As a general rule scripts are "brittle" rather than robust. Those that appear robust simply have more active maintainers.

Any practical person would have given up on this quest long ago, and some would have taken a sledgehammer to the offending old chip set. This situation is not entirely due to chance, I'm sure Nvidia would prefer people to buy new hardware.

Sailor Enceladus

#1585 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

musher0 wrote:The only thing I noticed is that the jwm theme seems to be stuck. This

IHTH.
Thank you musher0! I've had that happen too lately in both newest Slackos and Tahrs, maybe about 40 times now, and you're the first I've heard mentioning something similar. Excellent! At first I thought it was something wacky with jwm 2.3.x (as I don't have the issue using an older jwm) but maybe it's a change in woof-CE somewhere or it's a change to the theme or config causing it like you said. I wonder if it's related to Xorg only on specific hardware. Where is Joe Wing when you need him? :lol: :)

Barkingmad

#1586 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello Phil

I thought I'd give Tahr606 a spin so have downloaded the ISO and planed to do a manual frugal install as I have with other Puppies. when I mounted the ISO I found more "core looking" files than I have been used to so ask:

Will Tahr boot on a non uefi mainboard?

Which files do I need from the ISO?

What form should my GRUB lst entry take. eg for Precise Pup I have the following entry

title PrecisePup
kernel (hd0,0)/PrecisePup/vmlinuz PMEDIA=satahd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir=PrecisePup video=640x480
initrd (hd0,0)/PrecisePup/initrd.gz
boot
what lines do I need for Tahr?

Thanks if you can get me started, I'll probably have more to ask later!

Will

sheldonisaac

#1587 Post by sheldonisaac »

Barkingmad (in part) wrote:..when I mounted the ISO I found more "core looking" files than I have been used to
So did I. A little explanation will be appreciated.
Will Tahr boot on a non uefi mainboard?
It did on mine.
Which files do I need from the ISO?
I tried with these, it seems to work.
  • initrd.gz puppy_tahr_6.0.6.sfs tahrsave-feb10 vmlinuz zdrv_tahr_6.0.6.sfs
What form should my GRUB lst entry take. eg for Precise Pup I have the following entry

title PrecisePup
kernel (hd0,0)/PrecisePup/vmlinuz PMEDIA=satahd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir=PrecisePup video=640x480
initrd (hd0,0)/PrecisePup/initrd.gz
boot
what lines do I need for Tahr?
This worked for me; but if there's a better way, I'd like to do that.

title Puppy tahr 6.0.6 (sda1/test)
  uuid d58c24e4-7a41-4cb7-be6d-08c83a6e2105
  kernel /test/vmlinuz psubdir=test pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /test/initrd.gz
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

musher0

#1588 Post by musher0 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
musher0 wrote:The only thing I noticed is that the jwm theme seems to be stuck. This

IHTH.
Thank you musher0! I've had that happen too lately in both newest Slackos and Tahrs, maybe about 40 times now, and you're the first I've heard mentioning something similar. Excellent! At first I thought it was something wacky with jwm 2.3.x (as I don't have the issue using an older jwm) but maybe it's a change in woof-CE somewhere or it's a change to the theme or config causing it like you said. I wonder if it's related to Xorg only on specific hardware. Where is Joe Wing when you need him? :lol: :)
Hi Sailor.

I wouldn't put my hand in the fire over this, but it happened to me before
with older versions of jwm, so it's likely.

Could be as simple as a misplaced "<" or similar typo. Where's that
needle? In which haystack? :)

Of course it's never too late to give up on jwm and use pekwm. :twisted:

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Sailor Enceladus

#1589 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

musher0 wrote:Could be as simple as a misplaced "<" or similar typo. Where's that
needle? In which haystack? :)
Makes sense. Perhaps hitting the needle opens a portal to another world where jwm control is re-directed to aliens. :lol:

Barkingmad

#1590 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

Thanks, sheldon for helping me to ID the boot files, I've used those you listed and it seems OK. With the GRUB entry I thought on it some more and think I must be using an older version than you so kept to the syntax I've used successfully before and just changed the path (folder) to point to the Tahr files once I knew what they were. I now have an entry for Tahr in my boot menu and it boots OK.

Now: a tip for anyone with an Intel mainboard.

First boot of Tahr -- no network, Network Wizard says no drivers loaded.

Back to Precise Pup check in Hardinfo what modules loaded. Find it's Intel e1000e -- note trailing e described as Intel PRO/1000 Network Driver

In Tahr -- full network wizard (not the simple version) press Load Module button and look down the long list of modules and find "e1000 - intel PRO/1000" but note no trailing e. This loads but doesn't work. Go to the More tab then the Specify button and type e1000e in the box. Found, Loads, Works!! I'm posting from Tahr now.

Finally for now (I'm bound to be back) I'll attach a Hardinfo report of my system in case it's of any interest.

Bye, Will
Attachments
hardinfo.tar.gz
(7.17 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

666philb

Re: ethernet driver

#1591 Post by 666philb »

sheldonisaac wrote:
666philb (in part) wrote:tahrpup-6.0.6 iso uploaded.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/tahrpup/
Thank you!

There was no wired Ethernet.

I managed to get it by copying the e1000e.ko from the directory in the 6.0.5 tahr to /lib/
zdrv_tahr_6.0.5.3.sfs/lib/modules//3.14.79/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/
Is that the best way to do it?
hi sheldonisaac & barkingmad,

tahrpup 606 has the e1000e driver from intel, the older tahrpup had the e1000e that comes with the kernel. i went with the one from intel as some newer hardware doesn't work with the 3.14 kernel one.

could you try booting live and then typing into a terminal

modprobe e1000e
and then seeing if your ethernet works.

also could you test something else.....

boot live and then copy /lib/modules/3.14.79/updates/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/e1000e.ko
to /lib/modules/3.14.79/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e
and then reboot (creating a save) and see if ethernet works then.

thanks
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#1592 Post by 666philb »

prehistoric wrote:@bigpup,

Not an unreasonable question. I did pick up the wrong file on some downloads, but that was resolved before I ever posted. I went through a previous battle getting 304.134 to work on Fatdog 710. The fact that that works doesn't help us much because Fatdog has departed from the Puppy Linux model, and is now built according to Linux From Scratch methods. This meant it was closer to what the nvidia script expected of a Linux system.

As a general rule scripts are "brittle" rather than robust. Those that appear robust simply have more active maintainers.

Any practical person would have given up on this quest long ago, and some would have taken a sledgehammer to the offending old chip set. This situation is not entirely due to chance, I'm sure Nvidia would prefer people to buy new hardware.
hi prehistoric,

if you use the getnividia64.pet it will disable nouveau for you and allow you to choose the 304 driver (or any other downloaded nvidia driver) in its gui.
it will also produce a .pet which can be added to quickpet if it works. note that .sfs won't work.

your keyboard problems might be because after running the nvidia installer you let it configure xorg.conf for you, instead at this point say no and just reboot.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

sheldonisaac

Re: ethernet driver

#1593 Post by sheldonisaac »

666philb wrote: hi sheldonisaac & barkingmad,

tahrpup 606 has the e1000e driver from intel, the older tahrpup had the e1000e that comes with the kernel. i went with the one from intel as some newer hardware doesn't work with the 3.14 kernel one.

could you try booting live and then typing into a terminal

modprobe e1000e
and then seeing if your ethernet works.
Yes, SNS saw the eth0. Very good!
also could you test something else.....

boot live and then copy /lib/modules/3.14.79/updates/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/e1000e.ko
Yes, that too worked; after doing those steps, eth0 was working, without my taking any action, shortly after I rebooted.

Perhaps I should say that all this was done on my primary computer, the Dell E6410 laptop; I think it's from approx 2010 or 2011.
Since you mentioned that some newer hardware doesn't work with the older module.

Thanks again,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

prehistoric

#1594 Post by prehistoric »

666philb wrote:
prehistoric wrote:@bigpup,

hi prehistoric,

if you use the getnividia64.pet it will disable nouveau for you and allow you to choose the 304 driver (or any other downloaded nvidia driver) in its gui.
it will also produce a .pet which can be added to quickpet if it works. note that .sfs won't work.

your keyboard problems might be because after running the nvidia installer you let it configure xorg.conf for you, instead at this point say no and just reboot.
Glory Be! Finally, something that works.

My first problem was that I already knew I would have to exit X to run the script, so I never saw that message on the GUI about choosing the source file. I was able to get around that by running "getnvidia --help" and putting the source file name on the command line.

The second problem was that I was, as you thought, allowing nvidia to configure X. After running the script, I simply ran xorgwizard and told it to select "nvidia". N.B. nvidia was not a listed option.

Running getnvidia from the desktop hung after it told me what it was there to do. Closing the information window caused the script to abort.
There are way too many gotchas for anyone who doesn't stay with a particular distribution.

I will place the .pet it created in my directory on smokey01's site.

Added: I have done this, but now realize this may confuse people, since I built it for a 64-bit kernel, and this topic is generally for the 32-bit version.

Added later: I've now tried to eliminate some confusion by creating a retronym for tahrpup 32-bit. The driver pet for the 32-bit version is in a directory named tahr32 with the 64-bit version is in a directory named tahr64. There was a problem with having identically-named .pets created by the script, and clobbering previous versions.

Notify me if you find I corrupted files in moving things around.

Billtoo

tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

#1595 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to the hard drive.

System: Host: puppypc17746 Kernel: 3.14.79 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: tahrpup 6.0.6
Machine: Device: desktop System: Compaq-Presario product: AU194AA-A2L CQ5123F serial: MXX9300M0F
Mobo: MSI model: Boston v: 1.0 BIOS: Phoenix v: 5.24 date: 06/19/2009
CPU: Dual core Pentium E5200 (-MCP-) speed: 2500 MHz (max)
Graphics: Card: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 137x42 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Linksys WUSB54GC v1 802.11g Adapter [Ralink RT73] driver: rt73usb
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (4.2% used)
Weather: Conditions: 28 F (-2 C) - light showers snow Time: February 13, 9:40 AM EST
Info: Processes: 121 Uptime: 37 min Memory: 671.3/3278.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8

It's working well so far.
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(77.75 KiB) Downloaded 1537 times

bigpup

#1596 Post by bigpup »

Tahrpup 6.0.6
Frugal install to USB flash drive.

Used the save folder from Tahrpup 6.0.5.3.
The save seems to have updated OK.

Because the Linux kernel changed from Tahrpup 6.0.5 to Tahrpup 6.0.6.
The save from Tahrpup 6.0.5 may not work so well to use with Tahrpup 6.0.6.
Anything in the save that is compiled for a specific Linux kernel is probably going to have issues.
Video drivers, etc........

Quickpet->Usefull pets->DEVX
Not Found
The requested URL /ibiblio/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup -6.0-CE/ was not found on this server.
I know where the DEVX is ,but Quickpet does not.

Maybe time to start a new topic just for Tahrpup 6.0.6
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#1597 Post by bigpup »

Puppy is a little old on updated info in Distrowatch.
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=puppy

Maybe need to send them some updates on Tahrpup :idea:
YaPI(any iso installer)

tlchost

missing in action

#1598 Post by tlchost »

bigpup wrote:Tahrpup 6.0.6
Frugal install to USB flash drive.

Quickpet->Usefull pets->DEVX
Not Found
The requested URL /ibiblio/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup -6.0-CE/ was not found on this server.
same problem with link to Changing Kernels
Maybe time to start a new topic just for Tahrpup 6.0.6
Another problem....in bootable USB version, getlibreoffice tells me it will not work on a usb drive and/or with low memory...I have 16 gig ram. This was a problem that Micko fixed in the past, and it works fine in Tahr 6,0.5

Barkingmad

#1599 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello, Phil

I've just had a chance to try the tests you asked for a few posts ago with the Intel e1000e network driver module.

Testing in a clean boot each time both issuing

modprobe e1000e
and the file copy
allows the Simple network Setup to see and use the net interface without manually specifing the driver.

Just for info. I have an Intel mainboard based (I think) on the D945 chipset -- it's late P4 anyway and network has "just worked" with all Puppies I have tried starting with 3.xx.

Hope this is what you needed to know

Will

666philb

#1600 Post by 666philb »

Barkingmad wrote:Hello, Phil

I've just had a chance to try the tests you asked for a few posts ago with the Intel e1000e network driver module.

Testing in a clean boot each time both issuing

modprobe e1000e
and the file copy
allows the Simple network Setup to see and use the net interface without manually specifing the driver.

Just for info. I have an Intel mainboard based (I think) on the D945 chipset -- it's late P4 anyway and network has "just worked" with all Puppies I have tried starting with 3.xx.

Hope this is what you needed to know

Will

hi Barkingmad & sheldonisaac,

i've uploaded a new 6.0.6 iso, can you boot live and test to see if your ethernet automatically works with this one.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/te ... 6-uefi.iso
cheers