Opera 11.11 pet +portable +WebM +locales +flash-adblock

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
stu90

#161 Post by stu90 »

Thanks for this - using the portable version from my HDD partition so i don't have to install to each puplet save file is very handy. 8)

Michalis

#162 Post by Michalis »

Henry wrote:Thanks. But where is this version - I assume it is a .pet? I only have the tar.bz2 from Opera.
Yes indeed I'm refering to the pets not the portable options.
Henry wrote:Java did not appear as an option in the F12 menu.
Since version 10.50 there isn't that option in opera. Now you have to have the java plugin for browsers OpenJDK/IcedTea or javaplugin.so. You either symlink it in the opera browser plugin folder "/usr/lib/opera/plugins" or ctrl+F12-->Advanced-->Content-->Plug-in Options-->Change Path-->Add and add the path where it is. Most likely you'll have the javaplugin.so, search for it and in case it doesn't work use ldd in order to check it.
Some more info:
http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/2010/06 ... ot-working
http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/2010/06 ... up-of-java

Henry wrote:Getting info on a package in the package manager opens the browser but not wikipedia.
In my case it works just fine. You have made opera the default browser and html viewer right? Which puppy are you using?

Henry wrote:A URL in a Thunderbird email opens the browser but not the URL.
I can't be sure about that. If opera is the default browser (obviously) it should work. If you have it already opened does it work? If you run from terminal does it produce any errors?

stu90 wrote:Thanks for this - using the portable version from my HDD partition so i don't have to install to each puplet save file is very handy. 8)
Thanks also :D
I also believe that portable is more handy and I prefer it.

xman

#163 Post by xman »

I have some problems with new Opera 10.60 (Wary & 431, pet & deb). Youtube videos are mostly OK, but I can't see embedded videos and streams from many other sites. Sometimes both picture and sound are missing, sometimes I can hear voices :roll: (as for example http://video.syfy.com/). Situation is new, since there is no such a problem with Opera 10.10, Firefox 366, Seamonkey 204, Chromeplus 133 or Crome 5x stable. New flash 10.1r53 was crashing many times on Firefox 364, but after updating to 366 flash has been very stable.

So I can use Firefox or Chrome to everything but this is interesting. Somebody with same problems? Suggestions?

Henry

Can't open URL from Thunderbird - SOLVED

#164 Post by Henry »

I also believe that portable is more handy and I prefer it.
Yes, many thanks for all the assistance. I have carefully reinstalled it in /mnt/home/opera/ It's quite an improvement over 10.10. It all looks good except I still have the problem to open a URL from email. I recall I had this problem years ago when I first switched to Thunderbird, but I'll sort that out, no worry. (Yes, Opera is the default browser.)

EDIT: I found the fix I had used before. Add these three lines to prefs.js in the Thunderbird profile.

Code: Select all

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "defaultbrowser"); 
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "defaultbrowser"); 
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "defaultbrowser");
I note that my default browser in /usr/local/bin has the full path to /mnt/home/opera/program/opera, which can't hurt. It seems lots of people have this problem with Thunderbird.

Henry

Opera 10.60 as external viewer for Bluefish 2.

#165 Post by Henry »

I use Bluefish 2 every day with Opera as its external viewer.

Now that I've installed Opera 10.60, outside the pup-save, I've had to make various little changes to get it connected here and there. This is the last one I have to solve. I've tried things like:

defaultbrowser '%p'&
/mnt/home/opera/program/opera '%p'&
/mnt/home/opera/program/opera -remote 'openURL(%p)' || opera '%p'&

(double click to edit the entry, then hit ENTER.)

They open the browser but all I get is its home page.

Any good advice would be really appreciated. Of course there are workarounds, but . . .

Michalis

#166 Post by Michalis »

xman wrote:I can't see embedded videos and streams from many other sites. Sometimes both picture and sound are missing, sometimes I can hear voices :roll: (as for example http://video.syfy.com/). Situation is new, since there is no such a problem with Opera 10.10, Firefox 366, Seamonkey 204, Chromeplus 133 or Crome 5x stable.
I don't even get sound at this video. Unfortunately this is a problem that sometimes occurs between opera and some bad made sites. Some web developers are unable to make a proper site so that it can work with every browser. The page of that video has 89 errors and 65 warnings according to W3C standards. :evil:

The only solution is either to send an email to the SyFy staff and tell them that their webpage isn't compatible with opera and the W3C standards and thous they should fix it, or inside opera whenever you find a page that doesn't work well go to "Help"-->"Report site problem" and send the report automatically to opera devs. Moreover you could go to operas' forum and open a topic for the problems you are facing.

The truth is that the latest opera has changed a lot and still has bugs. But if every site was made according to the standards there wouldn't be any problem.

Henry wrote:I note that my default browser in /usr/local/bin has the full path to /mnt/home/opera/program/opera, which can't hurt.
No problem with that.
Henry wrote:It seems lots of people have this problem with Thunderbird.
In that case I recommend you to post your solution in the Thunderbird topic so that to help others too.

Henry

Remove menu items

#167 Post by Henry »

Good morning,

I'm a simple man who likes a tidy browser and would rather not be bothered by widgets and feeds - not even have to see them in the menu. :-)

How can I remove them? standard_menu.ini looks complicated.

Thanks

Michalis

Re: Remove menu items

#168 Post by Michalis »

Henry wrote:I'm a simple man who likes a tidy browser and would rather not be bothered by widgets and feeds - not even have to see them in the menu. :-)

How can I remove them? standard_menu.ini looks complicated.
There isn't any way to remove them, you can only hide them. The only way to achieve that is buy changing the file standard_menu.ini, and maybe you could search and delete everything that has to do with the words "widget" and "feed". Anyway I'll check tomorrow and see if I'll find out.

Also I will tell you about the Bluefish.

Henry

#169 Post by Henry »

Michaelis wrote:
There isn't any way to remove them, you can only hide them. The only way to achieve that is buy changing the file standard_menu.ini, and maybe you could search and delete everything that has to do with the words "widget" and "feed". Anyway I'll check tomorrow and see if I'll find out.
Thanks. But I should further say - please don't go to a lot of trouble for this. I was overwhelmed by the volume of RSS feeds that Opera included with the new browser. I have now deleted them.

I suppose I might want to use this feature sparingly sometime in the future - widgets much less likely.

Henry

Henry

PARTIALLY SOLVED

#170 Post by Henry »

I think it's a more general thing that prevents passing the specified destination to the browser, since it is now outside pup-save (otherwise an excellent arrangement!)

The following items all should open the Opera browser in the specified page, but they only open the browser:

SOLVED: In package manager, package description should open wikipedia artcle in browser but only opens browser.
SOLVED: In Bluefish, View in browser with external command should open edited page in browser but only opens browser.
In OpenOffice.org Writer, Menu-Help-Support-support@openoffice.org should open support page in browser but only opens browser.
In OpenOffice.org Writer, Menu-Help-Registration should open registration page in browser but only opens browser.
In Gimp, Menu-Help-Gimp Online-Main WEb Site should open the Gimp site in browser but only opens browser.
In Gimp, Menu-Help-About- Visit the Gimp Website should open the Gimp site in browser but only opens browser.

There's definitely a pattern here :-) All these worked with the previous Opera 10.10 which was in the pup-save. In /usr/bin/defaultbrowser the exec has been updated to /mnt/home/opera/program/opera.

PARTIAL SOLUTION: I looked for instances of exec=opera or similar in pup-save and changed opera to /mnt/home/opera/program/opera. I did this in several places but have not been able to determine the fix. I went back and removed the changes one at a time but the two SOLVED items above kept on working. Unsatisfactory in one way but satisfactory in another. I haven't had time to puzzle much over the remaining problems.

More elegant approaches or rationales will be appreciated. But I'm happy to have Bluefish working right again. Perhaps the .pet should have done more? I do have an old system that has been upgraded several times.

Henry

DaveS

#171 Post by DaveS »

Henry, when you have Opera mounted outside the save file, are you using symlinks so that the operating system thinks Opera is actually inside the save file?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Henry

#172 Post by Henry »

DaveS wrote:
Henry, when you have Opera mounted outside the save file, are you using symlinks so that the operating system thinks Opera is actually inside the save file?
DaveS, No, and something like that is likely missing. There was no mention of it in the wikka for the 10.60 .pet.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Opera
How does a user -not a developer - know how to do that? I think it's a little different in Xfce (as in Nop) than JWM.

I am using Nop 431r2 and my pup-save has endured through several version upgrades. As a result my last Opera 10.10 could not be uninstalled by the package manager and I did it manually as well as I could. Any specific instructions on how to do the symlink thing?

Thanks, Henry

DaveS

#173 Post by DaveS »

Henry wrote:Any specific instructions on how to do the symlink thing?

Thanks, Henry
OK, lets have a go. The symlink is one of the most powerful and useful shots in the Linux arsenal. It works like this: you put a file or directory somewhere that is convenient to you, then set a symlink to wherever Linux expects or wants that file to be.
So. Lets think about Firefox, because I know it so well. Assume you have downloaded the tgz file from the Firefox site, extracted it and you now have a directory in /root/ called firefox, which is as good a place as any, but you want it outside the save file. Just move the directory to /mnt/home, or actually, anywhere you like, even another partition. In JWM, then drag it back to /root/ and from the pop-up menu, select 'link' and you are done. Puppy now thinks and behaves as if Firefox is back in /root/
If I remember correctly, using Xfce, which has Thunar file manager, you right click on the file or directory, select 'create symlink', and the link will be created in the same directory/drive as the original, and is called link to (original file/directory name). You then drag this link to the target directory and rename it to the same as the original file/directory.
Give it a try. You can be quite creative with symlinks.............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Nooblet0218

#174 Post by Nooblet0218 »

DaveS wrote:
Henry wrote:Any specific instructions on how to do the symlink thing?

Thanks, Henry
OK, lets have a go. The symlink is one of the most powerful and useful shots in the Linux arsenal. It works like this: you put a file or directory somewhere that is convenient to you, then set a symlink to wherever Linux expects or wants that file to be.
So. Lets think about Firefox, because I know it so well. Assume you have downloaded the tgz file from the Firefox site, extracted it and you now have a directory in /root/ called firefox, which is as good a place as any, but you want it outside the save file. Just move the directory to /mnt/home, or actually, anywhere you like, even another partition. In JWM, then drag it back to /root/ and from the pop-up menu, select 'link' and you are done. Puppy now thinks and behaves as if Firefox is back in /root/
If I remember correctly, using Xfce, which has Thunar file manager, you right click on the file or directory, select 'create symlink', and the link will be created in the same directory/drive as the original, and is called link to (original file/directory name). You then drag this link to the target directory and rename it to the same as the original file/directory.
Give it a try. You can be quite creative with symlinks.............
a neat example is to move the .opera folder outside of your pupsave (i run off a usb drive so this is ideal) and then create a symlink to it in its old location. this is great because i have a large opera mail folder that keeps growing, so it won't eat my pupsave space.

DaveS

#175 Post by DaveS »

Nooblet0218 wrote:this is great because i have a large opera mail folder that keeps growing, so it won't eat my pupsave space.
You can also 'share' that .oprea folder with as many installs of Puppy as you like, as long as they all have the same version of Opera installed.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Henry

EDITED & SOLVED

#176 Post by Henry »

DaveS wrote:
Thanks for that clear explanation. That was pretty much my understanding. I have always kept as much "data"outside the pup-save as practical. What I have now is within a micron of what I want and perfectly usable (well of course I use it all the time), but it would have been easier using the symlink, and I will do that, time permitting.

EDIT: Actually, I found time last night, and used this procedure:
1. Move Opera from /root/opera to /mnt/home/opera
2. ln -s /mnt/home/opera root/opera

This works fine, except that I still have the problem that certain links from apps to the internet, e.g. Menu, Help, Homepage as described above do not work. Sorry, it's not that simple :-( Doing these tests on a different hard drive so as not to compromise my mission critical system.

EDITED AGAIN: As far as I'm concerned this is now SOLVED. I'm actually not using the symlink, But I understand it now, and my equivalent installation in working virtually perfectly.

BTW, Gimp not being able to access its site through its Help Menu was because the non-existent Firefox browser had been set in the Gimp preferences. Embarrassing.

Many thanks to Michaelis, DaveS, and all for helping me thru this! Was Opera 10.60 worth it? Probably.

Henry

Nooblet0218

#177 Post by Nooblet0218 »

the jump from opera 10.10 to 10.53/10.60 was a big one as far as i can see, it looks a hell of a lot better and they added a lot of useful features

Nooblet0218

#178 Post by Nooblet0218 »

anyone having problem with input to plugins? using the same plugins (the exact same files), work completely find in firefox... any flash application pretty much just accepts the first click and then stops responding to clicks (still responds to mouseovers though) and keystrokes. i've had the exact same problem in ubuntu with opera, has anyone seen any possible solution to this?

the solution i used to fix this last time was to start opera using this:

GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 opera &
however this doesn't seem to be working anymore

Michalis

#179 Post by Michalis »

Nooblet0218 wrote:anyone having problem with input to plugins? using the same plugins (the exact same files), work completely find in firefox... any flash application pretty much just accepts the first click and then stops responding to clicks (still responds to mouseovers though) and keystrokes. i've had the exact same problem in ubuntu with opera, has anyone seen any possible solution to this?
I've seen that happen randomly also. Unfortunately I believe that they released opera 10.60 sooner than they should, because there were many people demanding a "stable" release and thous still has bugs. Anyway I will try to check in it's options for a possible solution.

By the way 10.70 snapshots are out (already, wonder why?) but they don't have any significant change and I'll wait till I see an important change before I'll provide pets.

Henry good to see that you managed to solve your problems with the help of DaveS :D Hope now you really enjoying it.

aarf

#180 Post by aarf »

Nooblet0218 wrote:anyone having problem with input to plugins? using the same plugins (the exact same files), work completely find in firefox... any flash application pretty much just accepts the first click and then stops responding to clicks (still responds to mouseovers though) and keystrokes. i've had the exact same problem in ubuntu with opera, has anyone seen any possible solution to this?

the solution i used to fix this last time was to start opera using this:

GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 opera &
however this doesn't seem to be working anymore
switch tabs then switch back again.works for when the keyboard stops responding too.
from inside the directory:

GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 ./opera &
will start opera. not sure whether it fixes anything