DebianDog - Wheezy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

#161 Post by saintless »

Did you mean "replace all existing code content with only these lines of code"? [This is what I did]
Yes, LB-2 and 3 will not work anymore since they use initrd.1.img and initrd.img
Hence, no need to remove/delete it.
Never used # for live.cfg
I gave a safe choice to remove them but maybe you are right this is not needed. Test will show.
4. I used

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
and it seemed I was able to configure for English UK, and various other settings, but so far I see no change to the operation of the keyboard.
Do I need to restartX for the changes to take effect, or what?
You need to reboot but your changes will be included with RemasterDog and will work with remastered 01-filesystem.squashfs. Just be sure changing layout with Ctrl+Alt+Shift or other combinantion is choosen.
5. Used the command:

/sbin/firehol helpme >/tmp/firehol.conf
Which should have done the necessary, but so far I see no sign of the firewall running.
Please advise.
Read here:
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/firehol.htm
I need to make a newly remastered ISO file and also make a new CD-RW from that new ISO.
Will that be done?
RemasterDog will create new 01-filesystem.squashfs module. Use isomaster to replace it and rebuild new iso.

Toni

saintless

#162 Post by saintless »

Sylvander wrote:Is the "old /live/01.filesystem.squashfs" inside the ISO file?
And do I use "ISO Master" to do the replacement?
I didn't know how to delete things like the Firefox history from the files in 01-remaster folder prior to making 01-remaster.squashfs.
Yes, open the iso with isomaster, reomove /live/01-filesystem.squashfs and add there remastered 01-filesystem.squashfs
Also you can remove safe now /live/base/021-apps-porteus.squashfs since it is included in remastered 01-filesystem.squashfs. Again remove it from the iso using isomaster.

I don't use Firefox but i guess it creates directory in /root

fredx181

#163 Post by fredx181 »

Sylvander wrote:I didn't know how to delete things like the Firefox history from the files in 01-remaster folder prior to making 01-remaster.squashfs.
For this portable firefox it's in: /opt/bin/Firefox/profile

Fred

Sylvander

#164 Post by Sylvander »

1. Just be sure changing layout with Ctrl+Alt+Shift or other combinantion is choosen.
I was asked whether I wanted to include certain things and made what I thought were sensible inclusions.
Ctrl+Alt+Shift was one I included.

a. Read here:
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/firehol.htm

I read it, but it means next to nothing to me.
I used the command:
/etc/init.d/firehol start...
And got:
"root@debian:~# /etc/init.d/firehol start
[warn] Firewall disabled via /etc/default/firehol ... (warning).
root@debian:~#
" in xterm.

b. Opened /etc/default/firehol
Changed START_FIREHOL=no to START_FIREHOL=yes.
Instructions say:
"#If you want to have firehol wait for an iface to be up add it here
WAIT_FOR_IFACE=""

Don't know what to do here.
Saved the file with the single change made.

3. "open the iso with isomaster, reomove /live/01-filesystem.squashfs and add there remastered 01-filesystem.squashfs
Done.

4. "remove safe now /live/base/021-apps-porteus.squashfs"
Done.

@fredx181
5. "For this portable firefox it's in: /opt/bin/Firefox/profile"
Took a look at the folders and files, but I wouldn't know what to exclude.

6. Now to use the latest ISO to make a new CD-RW, and reboot using that.
Rebooted using "load to RAM, no save".
Things look OK here, EXCEPT...
a. All of the partition filesystems are mounted.
i.e. sda1, sda2, sda3, sda5, sda6, sr0.
Save file is on dsa5, but shouldn't be used therefore shouldn't be mounted.
Should sr0 be mounted?

7. I'll try doing some online banking.
a. Well, everything went just fine until I got to the point of copy [ctrl+c] and paste [ctrl+v]; these didn't work.
Because of the problem with the keyboard?
Actually the " and @ are now working as they aught.
So...
b. I highlighted [selected] the source [password in box], right-clicked, chose "Copy" from the context menu, then...
Went to the destination, right-clicked in the box, chose "paste" from the context menu.
These worked, and got me in to the website.

c. 2nd attempt:
Able to copy and paste the web address OK using ctrl+c & ctrl+v.
Managed at 2nd attempt to copy and paste the username using ctrl+c & ctrl+v.
Still unable to use these to copy and paste the password.

So that's a [almost perfect] SUCCESS !
Last edited by Sylvander on Wed 07 May 2014, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#165 Post by saintless »

Sylvander wrote:Changed START_FIREHOL=no to START_FIREHOL=yes.
Replace yes with YES.

#To enable firehol at startup set START_FIREHOL=YES
START_FIREHOL=YES
#If you want to have firehol wait for an iface to be up add it here
WAIT_FOR_IFACE=""

root@debian:~# /etc/init.d/firehol start
[....] Starting Firewall: firehol

WARNING
File '/etc/firehol/RESERVED_IPS' is more than 90 days old.
You should update it to ensure proper operation of your firewall.

Run the supplied get-iana.sh script to generate this file.

IMPORTANT WARNING:
 ------------------
 FireHOL cannot find your current kernel configuration.
 Please, either compile your kernel with /proc/config,
 or make sure there is a valid kernel config in:
 /usr/src/linux/.config

Because of this, FireHOL will simply attempt to load
 all kernel modules for the services used, without
 being able to detect failures.

. ok
root@debian:~# touch -m /etc/firehol/RESERVED_IPS
root@debian:~# /etc/init.d/firehol start
[ ok ] Starting Firewall: firehol.
After reboot firehol is running. For further configuration in /etc/firehol/firehol.conf you can search in the link I gave or different firehol configuration site. Reading and testing is the way to make it work. I do not use firewall at all and can't help further.
If it is difficult to setup just remove it:

apt-get purge firehol
And install any firewall you like.
Firestarter GUI for example or search for Debian Firewall.
Some more tiny firewalls available in debian repository:
1. dtc-xen-firewall
2. apf-firewall
3. ipkungfu
4. ferm
5. firehol
6. mason
7. shorewall
8. shorewall6-lite
9. uruk
10. uif
11. pyroman
12. arno-iptables-firewall
13. fiaif
To stop mounting all partitions on boot open /etc/rc.local and comment this line:

/opt/bin/mnt-all
Or I think for your needs it will be best to edit /etc/rc.local to look this way and save it:

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

exit 0
Toni
Last edited by saintless on Wed 07 May 2014, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#166 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Sylvander,
@fredx181
5. "For this portable firefox it's in: /opt/bin/Firefox/profile"
Took a look at the folders and files, but I wouldn't know what to exclude.
Well, I just thought maybe you wanted to clean everything to make fresh start, in that case remove only the contents of /opt/bin/Firefox/profile not the folder itself.
For cleaning history and/or cache you can do it in firefox (History > Clear Recent History)

Btw, just a thought, isn't it better maybe to make a frugal install and set up changes to a savefile and explore things a little more before making remaster and new iso?

Fred

Chili Dog

#167 Post by Chili Dog »

I have DebianDog-Porteus-jwm_icewm-beta.iso running in a virtual machine. I installed some programs, but can't save my changes. Or remaster.

I have tried the "Cow" and "Dog: methods of remastering, and saving from the menu, but all methods create an empty folder and then an empty file.

Sylvander

#168 Post by Sylvander »

@fredx181

1. "Well, I just thought maybe you wanted to clean everything to make fresh start, in that case remove only the contents of /opt/bin/Firefox/profile not the folder itself.
For cleaning history and/or cache you can do it in firefox (History > Clear Recent History)
"
a. I guess I should only do this immediately prior to a remaster, so they are not included in the ISO and resulting CD.
b. If I did this when using a save file, the changes would be saved to the file, but then so would other unwanted changes [new history created after removal etc], and these would persist, and be included in a remaster unless I removed these yet again, and again, and again.
Or is my brain going into a spin?

2. "isn't it better maybe to make a frugal install and set up changes to a savefile and explore things a little more before making remaster and new iso?"
Yes, provided I can control what does and what doesn't get saved!
Now I can do this in my copies of:
Slacko-5.5.91
Precise-5.6.1
Lupusuper-5.2.8.6-20131012
Although the pupsaves for these are in their own folders in a partition on an internal HDD, they've been told that the pupsaves are on a Flash Drive, so they behave accordingly.
I also have them configured to ask at shutdown/reboot whether "to save or not to save", with the default as "not save".
If I could do this in DebianDog, I hope it would be possible to control what gets saved and when, therefore what would go into the remaster.

3. Now I need to tweak DebianDog so as to perfect it.
e.g. Seems I have no Firewall running.
My router has a firmware firewall.
Would that be all I need, or [as I believe] is it good to add a software firewall?
Stops improper stuff going out?
Replies to that outgoing improper stuff would be allowed back in by the router, eh?

Sylvander

#169 Post by Sylvander »

@saintless
See this post explaining my testing installation of "Firestarter".
What think you? Should I make this permanent?
Synaptic Package Manager warned that there were certaain [vital?] things that Firestarter couldn't do, and to try better alternatives.
It suggested one, I forget which.

So far, using DebianDog has presented no problems.
Setting it up for use was rather complicated and time consuming, but [so far] I'm glad I did it.

MrAccident

#170 Post by MrAccident »

Hello.
I want to install "DebianDog-Porteus-jwm_icewm-beta" to the hard-drive. What is the recommended way; frugal, burning to disk and then installing from there, extracting the iso to the preferred partition?
Also, I had Puppy Slacko braking something, pretty much every time there was an improper power-off. Do you know of ways to overcome this? Maybe like in Windows - with last good saving points you can revert to.

fredx181

#171 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Sylvander,
a. I guess I should only do this immediately prior to a remaster, so they are not included in the ISO and resulting CD.
b. If I did this when using a save file, the changes would be saved to the file, but then so would other unwanted changes [new history created after removal etc], and these would persist, and be included in a remaster unless I removed these yet again, and again, and again.
Or is my brain going into a spin?
My brain certainly is after reading the above :)
Seriously, Indeed, I would clean a lot just before making remaster and after remaster start with a empty savefile.
But maybe I don't understand exactly what you mean.
Yes, provided I can control what does and what doesn't get saved!
I also have them configured to ask at shutdown/reboot whether "to save or not to save", with the default as "not save".
With the porteus-boot method you can do the same with the "changes=EXIT:/<path>/changes.dat" boot option.
It will only save at shutdown then and there'll be question then to save or not at shutdown.
For example if changes.dat is inside "debdog" folder on your HDD or USB drive.
(and "debdog" folder is on root of the drive):

label DebianDog Porteus in RAM
kernel /live/vmlinuz1
append initrd=/live/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=EXIT:/debdog/changes.dat
Fred

saintless

#172 Post by saintless »

Sylvander wrote:@saintless
See this post explaining my testing installation of "Firestarter".
What think you? Should I make this permanent?
No, because Firestarter will add around 20Mb to the iso size after remaster and all just to have GUI firewall.
As I posted here Firehol works:
http://ns1.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... 1f7#776017
You just need to read more what settings to include in /etc/firehol/firehol.cfg file. It will do the same job as Firestarter without adding extra size. Firehol is only small script.
Or you can try ipkungfu

apt-get install ipkingfu
But it also need to edit manually the configuration file.
http://www.adercon.com/ac/node/93

If you have firmware firewall I don't think you need at all software firewall but I'm not an expert. Online banking needs maximum protection but I can't advise how to do it best.
If 20Mb more does not matter use Firestarter. If it does try to read and experiment more with Firehol or Ipkungfu.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Thu 08 May 2014, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#173 Post by saintless »

MrAccident wrote:I want to install "DebianDog-Porteus-jwm_icewm-beta" to the hard-drive. What is the recommended way; frugal, burning to disk and then installing from there, extracting the iso to the preferred partition?
I would suggest frugal install since you have already Slacko installed. It will be easy for you to add boot code in grub menu for DebianDog. Just click on the iso from Puppy to open it and copy /live folder. Or use IsoMaster to extract /live folder from the iso. Use porteus boot since it is much closer to Puppy boot and save changes options. Follow the links in this post with example boot codes and saving changes options.
http://ns1.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... 44a#771571
Direct link for porteus-boot:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 456#774456
I suggest also to read about the utilities spacial for DebianDog here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93391

And just to make clear running DebianDog you are running Debian Wheezy. If you have some experience with Debian it will help a lot. Otherwise you may find it difficult at first.
Also, I had Puppy Slacko braking something, pretty much every time there was an improper power-off. Do you know of ways to overcome this? Maybe like in Windows - with last good saving points you can revert to.
Making separate sfs with RemasterCow (Save changes in module) will give you something similar. If you run RemasterCow at the end of session before shutting down it will create separate sfs (squashfs) module with all your changes included inside the save file. Then booting the system with this separate sfs file loaded will give you the same system changes without using save file. Running next session with the same save file and adding more programs and changes can be saved the same way with RemasterCow and if you put the date in the name you will get second restore point. It is much like system restore point in windows and I'm working on something automated like this already.

Toni
Last edited by saintless on Thu 08 May 2014, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#174 Post by saintless »

Chili Dog wrote:I have DebianDog-Porteus-jwm_icewm-beta.iso running in a virtual machine. I installed some programs, but can't save my changes. Or remaster.

I have tried the "Cow" and "Dog: methods of remastering, and saving from the menu, but all methods create an empty folder and then an empty file.
It will be very difficult for me to test this on 512Mb RAM PC but I will try.
What boot method and some output from xterm will help. RemasterCow and RemasterDog both start xterm in separate window. There should be some errors about cp command since the squashfs module is empty at the end.

Toni

MrAccident

#175 Post by MrAccident »

OK, thanks a lot.

Sylvander

#176 Post by Sylvander »

@fredx181
1. "after remaster start with a empty savefile"
Can that be done? How?
I've never deleted the contents of a savefile before!

2. "But maybe I don't understand exactly what you mean"
By George you've got it! I think you've got it! :D

3. "With the porteus-boot method you can do the same with the "changes=EXIT:/<path>/changes.dat" boot option"
I don't understand this, can you explain?
Ah wait, this is the setting you show in the code below this line I'm quoting, right?
I've already worked with that file but I've already forgotten which file it is.
I'll go back and look it up.
Is it possible to have a "Save" icon on the desktop?
Or some way to manually save during a session that doesn't auto save?
Does a DebianDog that's using a save file during a session, normally auto-save during the session?

fredx181

#177 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Sylvander,
Can that be done? How?
I actually did mean to create a new save file, use that and delete the old one (that's the easiest way).
But it can be done to remove the contents of a savefile but only if it's not in use.
You can do it from puppy or whatever linux system:
----------------
Edit: Or just do it from DebianDog booting without using a savefile.
----------------
For example to create a directory: /mnt/mychanges and mount the savefile there, so in terminal:

mkdir /mnt/mychanges
# Adjust the path to changes.dat to your situation, let's take as example: it's  /mnt/sda1/changes.dat
mount -o loop /mnt/sda1/changes.dat /mnt/mychanges
Then open /mnt/mychanges with file manager and delete whatever you want and then:

umount -d /mnt/mychanges
3. "With the porteus-boot method you can do the same with the "changes=EXIT:/<path>/changes.dat" boot option"
I don't understand this, can you explain?
You should read more from the documentation Toni wrote on the first page of this thread, he did't write all of it for nothing!
See here for the porteus boot method (one of the three possible boot methods):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 456#774456
These examples are for grub(4dos) but the changes parameter is the same if you're using syslinux or isolinux.
The porteus "changes=EXIT:/..." boot parameter is in fact the same as "pupmode=13" in puppy (save on exit only).
Or some way to manually save during a session that doesn't auto save?
Does a DebianDog that's using a save file during a session, normally auto-save during the session?
Yes, but only if you setup correctly "changes=EXIT:/<path>/changes.dat" you can do from terminal:

save2flash
That will save in the middle of a session.

Are you still running from cd?
If that's the case better make frugal install using DebianDog-installer to USB drive and you can adjust the boot parameters to your liking in for example menu.lst (for grub4dos bootloader) or syslinux.cfg (for syslinux bootloader)
As you know a cd is read-only so you can't change anything unless you create new iso with the changes and burn it to cd again.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 08 May 2014, 18:20, edited 2 times in total.

dancytron

#178 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote: *stuff deleted*

Yes, but only if you setup correctly "changes=EXIT:/<path>/changes.dat" you can do from terminal:

save2flash
That will save in the middle of a session.

*more stuff deleted*

Fred
Will this work with Porteus style boot with changes kept in a folder configured to save only on exit.

saintless

#179 Post by saintless »

Sylvander wrote:@fredx181
Can that be done? How?
Download the attached archive and extract mnt-img (added *,dat as supported file format). Replace old mnt-img with this new one in /opt/bin
XFE->cnahges.dat->Properties->File Assiciations-> In Open (white field) type there mnt-img->click Accept button.
Now single click on changes.dat save file will open new XFE window with the save file content. Delete all or what you need or add more files and close XFE window. Thats it.
it is recommended to delete the content of save file which is not in use running DebianDog with No-Save boot option.
Attachments
mnt-img.zip
(492 Bytes) Downloaded 161 times

fredx181

#180 Post by fredx181 »

Chili Dog wrote:
I have DebianDog-Porteus-jwm_icewm-beta.iso running in a virtual machine. I installed some programs, but can't save my changes. Or remaster.

I've just tested running DebianDog on VirtualBox and made a remaster using RemasterDog without problems.
If you give more information maybe we can help.

Fred