RAM boot for video editing - some questions

Booting, installing, newbie
bark-woof-fetch

Re: Suspect codec problem under Openshot 2.4.3 component.

#21 Post by bark-woof-fetch »

mikeslr wrote:Consequently, I think the Openshot component of O.F.I.N.S.I.S.'s SFS has a codec problem.
(from http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 23#1058423)

nice catch, thanks for the extra test and update

O.F.I.N.S.I.S.

#22 Post by O.F.I.N.S.I.S. »

Consequently, I think the Openshot component of O.F.I.N.S.I.S.'s SFS has a codec problem.
I don't have that much different types of videos like you seem to have.
Could you please list those types of videos that crashed Openshot?
Our Future Is Not Set In Stone
[url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfyaxCNMduwyXlQFRQKhhQ[/url]
[url]https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367[/url]
[b]My own build of Bionic64[/b]

mikeslr

#23 Post by mikeslr »

O.F.I.N.S.I.S. wrote:
Consequently, I think the Openshot component of O.F.I.N.S.I.S.'s SFS has a codec problem.
I don't have that much different types of videos like you seem to have.
Could you please list those types of videos that crashed Openshot?
After further testing I edited the referred-to post to suggest that rather that the problem, rather than relating to codec, had to do with conflicting ways or modules KDEnlive and Openshot employ python.

I don't have an exhaustive bunch of test vids --there are just too many formats and too many codec. The contents of my Test Vid Folder came about usually as a bi-product of doing something else, not really having a reason to otherwise save one of several versions and not wanting to simply discard it. And once, I wanted to see what size difference resulted from different choices under ffmpeg. The attached screenshot shows information about three vids: the original flv downloaded from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1GbIxE2bjY and two conversions. Neither version of Openshot could run any version of this vid, after I had first run, or had had loaded, KDEnlive.

If this is a codec problem, as the Web and Recorders generate many originals combinations, and there are may possible formats and codec for intermediary or final products, more useful is mediainfo. I opened 3 instances and superimposed their windows to take the screenshot. Both 32 and 64 bit AppImages are available here, https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/AppImage. I can confirm that the 64-bit works OOTB under Bionicpup64. pkgs.org indicates a version is generally available without regard for what you may be running.
Attachments
SameVid-DifferentCodecsFormats.png
Superimposed reports by mediainfo
(90.94 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Mike Walsh

#24 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ mikeslr:-

Mike, you're a star, mate! Finally; an easy to use Linux codec checker....

Up till now, if I wanted to do this I've been using something called GSpot, a Windows PortableApp running under WINE.....which doesn't always function fully. Go figure..! :roll:

I'll link to this in the AppImage thread, okay?

Mike. :wink:

bark-woof-fetch

#25 Post by bark-woof-fetch »

Leaving the portable OpenShot WINE GSpot innuendos somberly aside the first few RAM disk reality checks brought up some new considerations here.

The clip properties inside kdenlive are also handy but ofc irrelevant if you're using OpenShot Mike Walsh.

H264 files played nicely, some gopro 1080p handheld stuff came out a bit jumpy but that might be shaky camerahands most of all. Another gopro snip captured with their cineform coded never played smoothly.

In my 1st roll of Fred's BusterDog, with kdenlive on the iso, loaded into a 5GB RAM Virtualbox, I couldn't find a frugal boot option similar to http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/doc ... ersistence

Modest test footage around 1.5GB in total crashed quickly. There's a balance waiting to be found ahead between allocated RAM (on metal) and binary workload from / into RAM or from .sfs on a HDD. Probably other tweaks as well, zram instead of tmpfs f.ex.

It's surely a noob issue waiting to be solved. Much to learn every day so that's a nice challenge.
Attachments
gopro_widescreen_cineform.PNG
(27.41 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
gopro_1080_H264.PNG
(36.85 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

wiak

#26 Post by wiak »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ bark-woof-fetch:-

Olive - To the best of my knowledge, nobody has yet got this one working in Puppy. Doesn't mean they won't, just that it hasn't happened yet...
Olive works in WeeDogLinux Arch64. I tried it by installing it from Arch AUR repo. Was easy enough to install in WeeDog, which is what I'm using.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/olive-git/

wiak
Attachments
olive-editor-running-on-WeeDogLinuxArch64.png
(97.14 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

greengeek

#27 Post by greengeek »

mikeslr wrote:...more useful is mediainfo. I opened 3 instances and superimposed their windows to take the screenshot.
Hi Mike, i have been using Mplayer to identify what codecs are used by a video - do you have that programme available? I would be interested to compare the Mplayer "details" output with the Mediainfo output. cheers!

Mike Walsh

#28 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ian:-

If you go to the link from the other Mike's post, here:-

MediaInfo

....you'll find download links for 64-bit & 32-bit, further sub-divided into GUI & CLI. Download 'em (around 14 MBs), make them executable (I'm sure you know how to do that), then just click on it to run. It'll run from anywhere.

Mike Walsh

#29 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ bark-woof-fetch:-
Modest test footage around 1.5GB in total crashed quickly. There's a balance waiting to be found ahead between allocated RAM (on metal) and binary workload from / into RAM or from .sfs on a HDD. Probably other tweaks as well, zram instead of tmpfs f.ex.
One thing I will say here concerning video editing. If you want a larger, less cluttered 'workbench', as it were, with more stability, install as much RAM as you can. Simple as that.

Aside from gaming (which doesn't interest me), video editing/rendering is the most hardware/software intensive thing you can perform with a computer. It's also why it tends to be very slow & often unsuccessful on older, low-resource hardware.

I do a lot of it. It was a slow, painful business with the old Compaq's dual-core Athlon64, and I only had 3 GB DDR1 RAM. (15-year old tech, y'see.) This new Pavilion tower runs a Coffee-Lake Pentium Gold; twice the cores, twice the speed, much more advanced instruction sets and uses a fraction of the power to run. It came with 4 GB DDR4, which I promptly doubled to 8 GB.

After a wee while using the machine as is, I've come to the conclusion that for some of the editing I want to do, I still need more RAM. Accordingly, I ordered a 16 GB Crucial kit yesterday; should be here by the weekend.

It'll give me a larger "workbench"....

bark-woof-fetch

#30 Post by bark-woof-fetch »

wiak wrote:

Olive - To the best of my knowledge, nobody has yet got this one working in Puppy. Doesn't mean they won't, just that it hasn't happened yet...
Olive works in WeeDogLinux Arch64. I tried it by installing it from Arch AUR repo. Was easy enough to install in WeeDog, which is what I'm using.

Hey wiak

do you have any experience using it or kdenlive for that matter?

or any recommendations for best performance and system tweaks for this task?

bark-woof-fetch

#31 Post by bark-woof-fetch »

If you want a larger, less cluttered 'workbench', as it were, with more stability, install as much RAM as you can.
....Pavilion tower runs a Coffee-Lake Pentium Gold; twice the cores, twice the speed, much more advanced instruction sets and uses a fraction of the power to run. It came with 4 GB DDR4, which I promptly doubled to 8 GB.
....for some of the editing I want to do, I still need more RAM.
Hi again Mike Walsh, thanks for your feedback and comments

My workbench is sort of opposite yours, an old Sandy Bridge i5 with 12GB or a newer i7 with 6GB.

The i5's been fine for kdenlive projects on metal but still sluggish enough to have me researching RAM boots and now Puppies.

From reading about CPU vs GPU talks like https://forum.shotcut.org/t/clarificati ... eans/10772 and comparisons between variours editors it's hard to tell where system bottlenecks may appear in pipeline between OS architecture > CPU/GPU > media libs > editor config.

So maybe running kdenlive from RAM won't make much of a difference, or maybe placing its proxy files for a project in RAM will boost performance more than a boot to RAM session. To be tested! With much joy and excitement :)

wiak

#32 Post by wiak »

bark-woof-fetch wrote:
wiak wrote:

Hey wiak

do you have any experience using it or kdenlive for that matter?

or any recommendations for best performance and system tweaks for this task?
No, I was just seeing if it would work/install. I've only ever used Adobe Premiere much, which was a long time ago when I did a course on documentary film making using DV cams for input material. I've since used Openshot a little but I'm not generally editing videos much any more. I remember all the cutting and transition tricks were a lot of fun though, but I'm too busy on other matters to spend the huge hours needed for that pursuit any more.

wiak