Setting up a web server on Puppy; Quisp, Monkey

Using applications, configuring, problems
Kemas

PHP and MySQL?

#21 Post by Kemas »

Hi all,

Is it possible to add PHP and MySQL as well? Can Puppy be used as a server-distro?

Thanks. :)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Puppy server: is a firewall necessary?

#22 Post by Flash »

Nathan F wrote:Thanks. Will try that. I don't think I should have any real problems using port 80, as I'm going to reboot the computer every now and then and just re-insert monkey and the pages that I want, after deleting the pup100 file. So even if someone does compromise the server, any damage should be gone at the next bootup. This was my primary reason for wanting to do this with Puppy and Monkey. My first plan was to use DSL, but I'm way more comfortable running Puppy so far.

Thanks again,
Nathan
Nathan, I don't know much about servers, but your idea suggests to me that if the data the server serves doesn't change then it is possible to put server Puppy and the data on a bootable CD or DVD, and have a "thin server" without a hard drive at all. Conceivably a server farm could be made up of 'blades' that only have a DVD ROM drive, 128 MB of RAM, and no hard drive. As you seemed to say, there would be no need for a firewall either, just reboot occasionally to clear any viruses or worms.