NOP 4.13 r1 released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#21 Post by Sage »

ds: thanks for that advice on icons. What do I do normally? Search me! I guess I right click, select properties, look for the icon box, click it and change the picture. There is no 'Properties' in NOP, so it threw me. Same (non)answer about O10a, I'm afraid. I've always made it clear that I'm an imposter around here. Generally, I click here, click there - I don't really know what I'm doing. I am your archetypal end-user; the guy to whom all these wonderful efforts are directed - I do HW for kicks. Sometimes a kind soul like your goodself turns up and gives me a recipe. In Opera, it's easier - I've been using it since inception. I just choose the options that suit me & my kit - but it's not systematic; I'd never offer advice on details. Absolutely everything works that I need, but I do understand that it's quite different from other browsers. As for it's popularity, speed, etc., of that there can be little doubt if you've been reading the Forum (albeit with tremendous difficulty) this week. O10a simply bowls 'em over - same response from 'doze users, allegedly. Stick around and the gurus will give you chapter and verse.
Sorry.

magerlab

#22 Post by magerlab »

i use opera 10a( qt4 version) in "normal" puppy and can say it's very good
as for new NOP: I like almost everything ( i haven't yet much time to try though)

DaveS

#23 Post by DaveS »

Strange. This is the first EVER Puppy I have tried that has given me trouble. Specifically, when shut down commences, I get a blank screen, so I have no option to create a save file, and I cant print using setting that have always been fine in previous Puppies. Actually, just now I cant print at all!
The blank screen thing happens from the live cd and also from the usb install I created.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Henry

Printing :-(

#24 Post by Henry »

Well, I had quite a dissertation here about trying to get printing working in my pup_save upgraded to 4.13. I just took it down, as it's probably of little interest to anyone, including gray :-)

Indeed printing is working to a degree in the new Nop so I don't have a beef, just a disappointment that it doesn't work with my wonderful upgraded 4.12 system.

Reminds me of something the bugman (forum name) said,
"nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
not another cups!
[my least favorite 'improvement' in puppy] "

here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 73d6443e33
Last edited by Henry on Mon 16 Mar 2009, 03:29, edited 2 times in total.

techtype

#25 Post by techtype »

Prints fine for me to a usb Canon iP4500.

JMX

#26 Post by JMX »

Slam dunk!

A couple of observations:

I noticed that Opera 10a uses significantly different ini files and a new bookmark file (booksmarks.adr, not opera6.adr). So I had to make sure Opera was not using my previous Opera 9.63 settings from 412.

The Opera browser is also perfect for small laptop screens. I found a very nice Opera configuration tutorial here:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/opera

I also noticed that the 413 printing works a little differently than 412. So I will have to spend some time with configuration so that it will print as expected. (This does not appear to be a NOP issue at all, but an underlying tweak in the printer program.)

My WirelessBundle (a custom 30MB sfs file) merged perfectly with 413. I did not have to reinstall a single pet. I just made sure NOP413 would find that sfs file at bootup. And bingo! I have all of my proven wireless programs up and available with the new 413.

For the Asus eee 900HA, I gotta get NOP to see the internal wireless card (Atheros AR5007EG) and also the battery icon/monitor in the bottom tray, and the camera, and sound, and fan control, etc.

Even the current Puppy 4.2rc3 (with JWM/Rox) does not fully support out of the box all of the Asus eee features. So I expect others, myself included, will be working on these remaining details.

I plan to introduce my friends to Linux via the Puppy NOP remaster because the learning curve is dramatically reduced and makes for a real pleasant learning experience.

magerlab

#27 Post by magerlab »

Opera's bookmarks( and other stuff) can be synchronized via Opera Link. See File menu.

@JMX did you do a fresh istall on eee or upgraded?

JMX

#28 Post by JMX »

magerlab,

Fresh install. Opera works super.

I see all of the Asus eee drivers tempestuous made, but I have not yet determined if they have all been included in the new distros. I can see the battery icon/meter in 4.2rc3 so it seems some of these drivers have certainly been added. The icon may not show in NOP (yet) because of the different windows manager (simple fix probably).

But nothing I can do (so far) will let me see the internal wireless card on the 900HA (AR5007EG). My external wireless cards work flawlessly.

I see where some have got it going but I do not know how they did it (yet).

I will be able to explore this issue a little more in a couple of days...

DaveS

#29 Post by DaveS »

techtype wrote:Prints fine for me to a usb Canon iP4500.
ERrrrrr........Yes, helpful
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#30 Post by DaveS »

I have been looking for a soln to this printing problem all over the forum and internet, and the conclusion I come to is that CUPS is a mess :-)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

davesurrey

#31 Post by davesurrey »

sage: thanks for your reply.
JMX: a good article on opera even though it's biased towards the EEE.
Cheers
Dave

magerlab

#32 Post by magerlab »

i would also suggest again polymer qt engine to make opera look much better
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=33041

@gray : is intird.gz in NOP modified to load more sfs?

techtype

#33 Post by techtype »

DaveS wrote:I have been looking for a soln to this printing problem all over the forum and internet, and the conclusion I come to is that CUPS is a mess :-)
ERrrrrr........Yes, helpful

Henry

#34 Post by Henry »

gray and all,

Here are my user's Nop 4.1.3 preliminary conclusions:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks very good in its bare state. Some nice minor improvements to Xfce.

Unusable as an upgrade to my fully functional and populated Nop 4.1.2 configuration.

1 Opera problems (slow bookmarks, bad scrolling, slow first start after reboot, e.g. 25 sec.)

2 Doesn't print. Response from installed printers:
CUPS-PDF "Unable to open file "/var/spool/cups/d00016-001" - Permission denied"
Laserjet (Default Printer) "Unable to open file "/var/spool/cups/d00013-001" - Permission denied"
HP4480 "Unable to open file "/var/spool/cups/d00011-001" - Permission denied"
(But note that the HP 4480 3-in-1 continues to work as a scanner with hpliplite.)

New Opera and Cups seem promising but I have to revert to v. 4.1.2 until solutions are found.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nop has been excellent! I have faith there will be a way around these problems, as in the past. No one wants to have an orphan distro, or have to start from scratch. Any clues will be appreciated.

Henry

techtype

#35 Post by techtype »

Henry wrote:gray and all,

Here are my user's Nop 4.1.3 preliminary conclusions:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks very good in its bare state. Some nice minor improvements to Xfce.

Unusable as an upgrade to my fully functional and populated Nop 4.1.2 configuration.

1 Opera problems (slow bookmarks, bad scrolling, slow first start after reboot, e.g. 25 sec.)

2 Doesn't print. Response from installed printers:
CUPS-PDF "Unable to open file "/var/spool/cups/d00016-001" - Permission denied"
Laserjet (Default Printer) "Unable to open file "/var/spool/cups/d00013-001" - Permission denied"
HP4480 "Unable to open file "/var/spool/cups/d00011-001" - Permission denied"
(But note that the HP 4480 3-in-1 continues to work as a scanner with hpliplite.)

New Opera and Cups seem promising but I have to revert to v. 4.1.2 until solutions are found.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nop has been excellent! I have faith there will be a way around these problems, as in the past. No one wants to have an orphan distro, or have to start from scratch. Any clues will be appreciated.

Henry
As for your printing, it sounds like you have not entered the user: root and password: woofwoof required by the new Cups??

Henry

#36 Post by Henry »

As for your printing, it sounds like you have not entered the user: root and password: woofwoof required by the new Cups??
Yes, of course I have to use that when it asks for it. Thanks.

Sage

#37 Post by Sage »

How good is NOP? This afternoon, almost booted in 32Mb with 77Mb swap disk. Added a 16Mb strip and it made it as a usable entity if a tad slow. 128Mb strip and it zings along even on an old Duron1100. Xfce & Opera are a terrific combination. Want a suggestion what to do with those Intel quad cores?
Now for the masterstroke, gray: get it down to 50Mb. When you've finished that, port it for RISC MIPS machines. Am away tomorrow, so take your time - back Thursday....

magerlab

#38 Post by magerlab »

the only bug i've noticed is galculator seg faults :D
but i do not often us it
anyway everything is fast on my desktop ( even with composite enabled)
shure i want to put it on eee pc also( maybe with openbox--replace)

Henry

A second thought

#39 Post by Henry »

Although my Nop 4.1.2 was working correctly in every known way, it appears that upgrading it to 4.1.3 is not going to work. I tried to try different cups versions, for instance, but of course can't really, the current one being "hardwired" via the live CD. Who knows what other obstacles, incompatibilities lie in wait?

So I have begun the tedious task of rebuilding in 4.1.3. I reckon it will be better in the end. No more complaining :-)

DaveS

Re: A second thought

#40 Post by DaveS »

Henry wrote:So I have begun the tedious task of rebuilding in 4.1.3. I reckon it will be better in the end. No more complaining :-)
Well done Henry. Opera seems much improved, though it hung on one site I use regularly. The Xfce desktop seemed snappier than the previous NOP too, and font rendering seems nicer. Sadly, I could not solve my printing problems though, so have gone back to standard Puppy. Maybe I have to wait for NOP Deep thought. :-)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!