Install Firefox 3.5.* in Puppy 4.2*, 4.3.* Instructions here

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
DaveS

#21 Post by DaveS »

ttuuxxx wrote:
DaveS wrote:
kylerickards wrote:Thanks, may give that a go - still doesn't explain why two identical installs yield different results though? (And just booted up with each stick to make sure I am not going mad!)

Kyle
Now that is just plain odd! Sadly, despite all the hype about how customisable Firefox is, they dont give us a menu option to change menu fonts, which always seemed like an 'oversight' to me.
All you had to do is ask :)
This is how its done
Step 1 go to /root/.gtkrc-2.0 and open it up as text
Step 2paste this line at the very bottom and save it, Then restartX-server gtk-font-name = "Sans 12"

Is it really that simple ... duh :)

Or you can make the font like 18 in size, gtk-font-name = "Sans 18" lol
ttuuxxx
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

ttuuxxx

#22 Post by ttuuxxx »

Yes Dave its that simple :)

Also If you want all your QT apps too look great eg, fonts, mouse over theme etc, Install this is basically like what the gtk is but for setting Qt fonts.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=21338
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

KittyCat

#23 Post by KittyCat »

ttuuxxx wrote:All you had to do is ask :)
This is how its done
Step 1 go to /root/.gtkrc-2.0 and open it up as text
Step 2paste this line at the very bottom and save it, Then restartX-server gtk-font-name = "Sans 12"
Thank you!! Now I can read my Firefox menus again! :)

And thank you DaveS for the pets and the installation guide. I really prefer Firefox to Seamonkey.
[color=darkred]Not a dog person. :P [/color]

puponmanyoldlaptops

Install Firefox 3.5.2 in Puppy 4.2*. Instructions here

#24 Post by puponmanyoldlaptops »

Once again, Dave, the answer to my Puppy 4.3 frustrations has been found in the pages of your wisdom.

You know I've recently posted my frustrations with Puppy 4.3. The largest being what happens when I tried to alter home pages in Sea Monkey and Firefox 2.0.0.7.

I just rediscovered your instructions for placing Firefox 3.5.2 into Puppy 4.3 and I'm pleased.
Again, I owe my new found pleasure with Pup to your obvious skills and talents, Dave.

Thanks from a big and long-time supporter of Puppy Linux.

POMOL

DaveS

Re: Install Firefox 3.5.2 in Puppy 4.2*. Instructions here

#25 Post by DaveS »

puponmanyoldlaptops wrote:
Thanks from a big and long-time supporter of Puppy Linux.

POMOL
Thanks. I wish I were a programmer and so could contribute more, but as a simple 'user', I am restricted to figuring out how to make stuff work, then passing that info on. I guess what I love about the open approach of Linux in general is that everybody has something to contribute if they wish.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

duce
Location: Minnesota,USA 20 below zero (F. not C.) ain't that cold

#26 Post by duce »

Thanks guys! This is awesome, I installed 4.30 on a usb stick (super floppy style) for our Compaq V5000 laptop, followed the instructions for installing Firefox (they're up to 3.54) and after several successful tests and reboots that old XP cow is now a !one minute! boot up machine with puppy and Firefox!!! I begged my daughter to try it out cuz she likes the fox and hasn't been using the laptop cuz it's sooo slow to boot. And it's a dog. Whoops, I mean now it's a puppy.
My fingers are crossed for another puppy convert....
And the "original" operating system is still untouched for "emergencies" or something. :roll:
No hiccups, no foolishness and no belches. Puppy rocks!
Thanks Much
DAC

abushcrafter

#27 Post by abushcrafter »

Thanks

By the way people with Firefox 3.5 to 3.5.5 (the ones I have used-ish) fonts for the menus and stuff are ugly but that's the theme, So change it!

EDIT: I am very wrong its not the theme! Fonts are missing they must have came from a package :oops:.
Last edited by abushcrafter on Tue 26 Jan 2010, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

stiginge

#28 Post by stiginge »

How can firefox be made the default webbrowser in puppy 4.3.1?

mikeb

#29 Post by mikeb »

Ok here's a fun one....installed firefox 3.5.2 to puppy 4.12.....added dbus lib..already had dbus for vlc....runs just dandy.

Just tried to add to 4.12 retro and it will run the first time but not after that giving error

Code: Select all

# firefox
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2: undefined symbol: dbus_watch_get_unix_fd
The cure is to use an older version of libdbus-glib
debian etch for example...libdbus-glib-1-2_0.71-3_i386.deb

don't yer just love linux :evil: each upgrade means a major investigation :D

mike

DaveS

#30 Post by DaveS »

mikeb wrote:Ok here's a fun one....installed firefox 3.5.2 to puppy 4.12.....added dbus lib..already had dbus for vlc....runs just dandy.

Just tried to add to 4.12 retro and it will run the first time but not after that giving error

Code: Select all

# firefox
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2: undefined symbol: dbus_watch_get_unix_fd
The cure is to use an older version of libdbus-glib
debian etch for example...libdbus-glib-1-2_0.71-3_i386.deb

don't yer just love linux :evil: each upgrade means a major investigation :D

mike
Sweet fix Mike, yeah.......... dont you just love this stuff!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

bjoenn

installation fails after trouble with truecrypt??!!!

#31 Post by bjoenn »

Hello@DaveS!
Hm, my problem will be a bit aside your howto, nevertheless my problem:
it's Puppy_431_de with FF-3.5.5 en-version;
after tryin' out truecrypt 6.2a in opening a volume created on a usb-pendrive under Win-XP with TC 6.3 (eehehm...recognized that afterwards :oops: ), I got some Geany-Window opening with an "appl"-Tab, asking for what ever... I gave it a kick and closed.
Now I wanted to go for an update to TC and looked up under TC's Help>TC Website; normally the browser should open now - but nothing occurred..
well, I closed TC and got to my Dektop-Starter-Icon of Firefox, gave it a click to get into the web - some short rumour of hd was to be heard, but nothing else happened. Hm. I went to Menu>Internet>Firefox Browser, click: no reaction.

Now I went to Mozilla website (with XP) and downloaded the german
Firefox-3.5.5.tar.bz2 - file & the libs you linked, had it per Dropbox into my Puppy and installed. Refreshed, reboot.
All looks really peaceful, as there are folder and files under /root and usr/..;
but not any reaction, when clicking on Menu>Internet>Firefox Browser!

I now tried the Opera browser, which came with that Puppy originally: no reaction!
Tried then Thunderbird, to check internetconnection in general, and there's no problem: emailclient is working as usual.
So, any idea, any hint what to do now? Thanks for reading and maybe an answer! Regards,
bjoenn[/u]

DaveS

Re: installation fails after trouble with truecrypt??!!!

#32 Post by DaveS »

bjoenn wrote: So, any idea, any hint what to do now? Thanks for reading and maybe an answer! Regards,
bjoenn[/u]
First, go to /root/firefox and click on the file firefox, or use terminal command /root/firefox/firefox

Does Firefox load?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

mikeb

#33 Post by mikeb »

Not sure if its relevent for the recent post but I tried to install ff3.5 to 4.12 retro...the 2.6.21 kernel and it refused to run until I changed the libdbus-glib to libdbus-glib-1.so.2.0.0 from the debian 0.71-3 package...seem like this one is kernel dependant :shock:

mike

DaveS

#34 Post by DaveS »

mikeb wrote:Not sure if its relevent for the recent post but I tried to install ff3.5 to 4.12 retro...the 2.6.21 kernel and it refused to run until I changed the libdbus-glib to libdbus-glib-1.so.2.0.0 from the debian 0.71-3 package...seem like this one is kernel dependant :shock:

mike
Mike, bjoens post reads like Firefox WAS working. I suspect a corrupt defaultbrowser script.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

mikeb

#35 Post by mikeb »

corrupt profile perhaps.

Anyway if anyone is wishing to use ff3.5 on the retro kernel the symptoms are it will run the first time but not subsequently..very odd...the older dbus-glib is available here
http://packages.debian.org/etch/libdbus-glib-1-2

mike

bjoenn

#36 Post by bjoenn »

@DaveS & mikeb:
first Iwant to thank you for your rushed answers!
And yes, that's right:
Mike, bjoens post reads like Firefox WAS working. I suspect a corrupt defaultbrowser script.
The english version 3.5.5 ran without any kink!
No, when starting in terminal with "/root/firefox/firefox ", nothing occurs.

Tell me please: what is/where is
defaultbrowser script
?
and secondly, I'm really a bloody nooby with linux, so: how do I a sweep-out
of all relics of the crushed Firefox install?
I want to get rid of all and everything, just to have a chance of a really immaculate new installation...(my search was unsuccessful, may be in consequence of bad catchphrase - I'm no native English speaker..)

Quite astonishing to me is the disfunction of Opera browser same time with same symptoms: just doesn't start any more...but that's another thread, may be...
Again: thanks so far!

shanali4

#37 Post by shanali4 »

I tried to install firefox on my Puppy Linux according to your suggested method, But i have a problem when ever i run dbus-glib.pet or dbus.pet file it makes my computer stuck. showing a window saying "PETget updating menu...." then i had to reboot my pc. Plz help

Sorry 4 my bad english

mikeb

#38 Post by mikeb »

I tried to install firefox on my Puppy Linux according to your suggested method, But i have a problem when ever i run dbus-glib.pet or dbus.pet file it makes my computer stuck. showing a window saying "PETget updating menu...." then i had to reboot my pc. Plz help
as a quick fix rename the .pet to .tgz ..then you can extract and install the files manually to /usr/lib.

@bjoenn
/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser

regards

mike

shanali4

#39 Post by shanali4 »

mikeb wrote:
as a quick fix rename the .pet to .tgz ..then you can extract and install the files manually to /usr/lib.

@bjoenn
/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser

regards

mike
I have renamed it to .tgz but still their is an error see the screenshot
Attachments
eror.jpg
(91.49 KiB) Downloaded 582 times

mikeb

#40 Post by mikeb »

I have renamed it to .tgz but still their is an error see the screenshot
Forgot to mention...ignore that message...its the hash built into the pet that causes that...the files should still extract ok..I do it all the time

mike