My project remote monitoring pc audio and alarm

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
AdrianH

#21 Post by AdrianH »

Hi Mike.

The reason I use slacko 5.6 was that was the only one of the current Puppy distro's I could get SSH server working. And as people have been kind to assist with the add ons by way of pets the plan is to stay with Puppy,

I have been searching on web for a small distro, but many require lots of knowledge! :oops:

I have been confused by the option to create a zdrv when remastering, not having one and amending the /etc folder to be more for my hardware has led to smaller ISO's

Ebay memory will probably be my friend again, unless there becomes a thinslacko 5.6.

I guess I am after a headless version? I have read posts on command line pet installation but they always seem to call X, unless I read them wrong.

There was also a zdrv_cutter.pet to remove unwanted kernel modules I think.

What ever don’t buy any Oracle Sun ray 2's even if they are extremely cheap. No use for anything else.

Adrian

mikeb

#22 Post by mikeb »

Okay dokay.

Well I just used the ssh/sshfs server from slax , made it into a 350k sfs and merged it into puppy 4 so probably good for any puppy from the last few years if you ever have the need.

Pretty sure there are headless stripped down jobbies around here... I mean something 30-50MB should do the job...not like you need 90% of the stuff in there though its not always obvious what can be removed if you are unfamiliar.

Once you get the wrinkles ironed out a system like this might prove to be a little on the popular side ;)

Hope mum's feeling a bit better,

regards

Mike

AdrianH

#23 Post by AdrianH »

I have not forgotten the group and will get on with more work on the monitor when I can to sort of finish off and present information to others if a similar thing is required.

Mum was moved to nursing care on the 21st December. The house is now empty, so the computer allows me to listen in to the house for a while to check all sounds OK.

Had to update the fire wall blacklist a few times to restrict other countries including some IP's from Germany.

If I replaced the pendent output with an output from a alarm type movement sensor it would act as an intruder detector and send me a text. I do have mums neighbours looking out for problems for me anyway.

Hope you all had a good festive time over the season.

Best wishes to all

Adrian