WiFi will NOT stay connected [SOLVED I had gimpy adapters]

Booting, installing, newbie
bigpup

#21 Post by bigpup »

Wireless interference can come from some strange places.
You could be getting interference from other wireless devices in house.
Are all working thru one transmitter for connection?
How strong is your signal?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

starhawk

#22 Post by starhawk »

The network consists of a Verizon-issue MiFi 4620LE, as mentioned above, and three computers. All computers pull from the MiFi. My mother has a laptop and desktop in the living room. I have a laptop in the office, some 30-40 feet away from the laptop and desktop, and ~20ft away from the Mifi.

The signal from the MiFi to my computer has never had problems before within this room. It has had some issues if I go upstairs, but that's a known quantity and has been for some time. (I do not do much upstairs.) My mother's desktop has consistently had 'Net problems and we've never figured out why. It has to have super large antennas on the wireless card (presently a second RNX-N600UBE) to pick up any reasonable connection. Her laptop does not have this issue. Both of those systems run Windows (XP on the desktop, W7 on the laptop). The network issues (when there are any) with them, are entirely different and bear no relationship whatsoever to my issue, and as such are outside the scope of the thread.

The MiFi's connection to the tower (it works off of a mobile phone network) has been an issue for going on four or five /years/ now. We are probably in the antenna shadow of the nearest tower, and all four towers in our vicinity universally suck. That said: we're stuck with VZW for the time being, however much (or not!) we like it. This is because the only carrier that doesn't suck *worse* somehow, is the cable co that wants a truly princely sum to run the cable (we are ~500ft from the road -- 300ft or less distance, they pay the fee to run the cable, at 301ft and farther, the customer pays -- and holy crap is it costly!).

starhawk

#23 Post by starhawk »

Now my netbook is having problems.

Starting to wonder if that MiFi suddenly doesn't like penguins... this is getting to be a real bother...

starhawk

#24 Post by starhawk »

More I think about this, I think it's the MiFi. Makes me feel a bit better, actually...

I'll call Verizon later today and have a fit. They'll send me another MiFi and that'll be that.

rokytnji

#25 Post by rokytnji »

starhawk wrote:More I think about this, I think it's the MiFi. Makes me feel a bit better, actually...

I'll call Verizon later today and have a fit. They'll send me another MiFi and that'll be that.
My bad then.
I take that back then. :lol:

starhawk

#26 Post by starhawk »

:shock: :oops: :roll: :lol:

starhawk

#27 Post by starhawk »

Update: new MiFi came, no change. Still tethered to an external WiFi adapter if I want things to work. No disconnects, now, mind you -- but I definitely need a card to put inside this laptop, to properly solve things. I may be able to get that on Monday.

starhawk

#28 Post by starhawk »

Replaced the internal card today. All is well :D

...now to get back to the printer issue... although that's in a different thread in a different place (Canon Printer Drivers thread, where it should be)...

I'll mark this thread what it is -- [SOLVED] 8)