Chromium v83 with pepper-flash **RUNS-AS-SPOT**

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
peebee

#221 Post by peebee »

Mike Walsh wrote:......So how come I'm running OscarTalk's version of Chrome 47.0.2526.106 (plus the obligatory libgconf2 and libgnomekeyring to get them to work) with absolutely no problems at all?......
Mike. :wink:
OscarTalks has answered this very succinctly above.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Mike Walsh

#222 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, everyone.

@OscarTalks, peebee:-

Ah; that would explain it, then. I'm surprised Google are still compiling against the earlier glibc.....but I'm certainly not complaining. BTW, Oscar, I'm running your 7.0.1.0 compile of Slimjet alongside Chrome. Brilliant browser. What you've just said also explains why PepperFlash was bang up to date when I checked two days ago. AlienBob's only just released the Chromium version of his extracted PepperFlash, which is the one I use.....and according to the Adobe site, 286 has been out for a couple of weeks now. I did wonder how come it was already up-to-date, while I was still waiting for Bob to 'do his thing'. That's neat. Nice one!

Appreciate the clarification. Cheers!

Mike. :wink: :D

peebee

Security update to pepperflash-20.0.0.306

#223 Post by peebee »

Security update to pepperflash-20.0.0.306 - see above for updated download links
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

Chromium_48.0.2564.109 + pepperflash_20.0.0.306

#224 Post by peebee »

Security update to Chromium_48.0.2564.109 - see above for updated download links

peebee

#225 Post by peebee »

Warning from Alien-Bob..... :cry: :x
new Chromium sources were just released, addressing several vulnerabilities. By the way, this new 49.0.2623.75 release is the first where Google is only releasing 64-bit binaries for Linux, so I am afraid that at some point the 32-bit plugins I used to extract from the Chrome binaries (pepperflash and widevine plugins) will stop working for the 32-bit chromium packages which I will of course keep compiling for you. The most recent versions of these binary-only plugins remain in my repository until they break.

gcmartin

#226 Post by gcmartin »

Actually, after reviewing Google's position, I have to agree with them. 64bit is where the world is. Manufacturing left 32bit over a decade ago. PCs today are much more efficient and sip power less. RasPi is now 64bit. SmartPhones and smartTablet, too. SmartCars new controllers (CPUs) are 64bit. ...

Google never said that 32bit will stop working. They just wont continue to devote resources to it while they concentrate their resources to what is being built by hardware manufacturers across the world.

Same is true with PUPs built since I started, here, when PUPs were only 32bit. They continue to work, today. Old PUPs still work on old PCs and they work as well today as they did decade ago.

I do understand that in spite of their focus, 32bit Chrome will continue to work. Same as WinXP. (I am neither a Google defender nor a Microsoft defender)

peebee

Chromium_49.0.2623.112 + pepperflash_21.0.0.213

#227 Post by peebee »

UPDATED 09-apr-2016

THIS VERSION WILL ONLY WORK ON "MODERN" PUPPIES - e.g. LxPup, LxPupTahr, Slacko6, TahrPup6, X-tahr, X-Slacko
and then only on versions with kernels newer than 3.14 unless you apply the patch here which does affect sandboxing

32bit sfs:
chromium_49.0.2623.112+pepper_21.0.0.213_lx.sfs

64bit sfs:
chromium64_49.0.2623.112+pepper_21.0.0.213_lx.sfs

Some .pet versions are available or use the converter.

Caveats and constraints as detailed above

If you need a .pet instead of a .sfs or you want the 64-bit .sfs to run on tahrpup64 then use this converter.

To use services, such as Netflix, with protected content, you probably need to add the widevine plugin to Chromium (see testing thread). Links to the versions compatible with the above versions of Chromium are below. Just download the .txz file and then click on the downloaded file to install it.

32-bit widevine plugin
64-bit widevine plugin
Last edited by peebee on Mon 18 Apr 2016, 11:14, edited 13 times in total.

peebee

32-bit chromium_49.0.2623.75+pepper_21.0.0.182

#228 Post by peebee »

Mike Walsh is a star!

He has discovered how to obtain the latest pepperflash 32-bit - details here.

32-bit chromium_49.0.2623.75+pepper_21.0.0.182_lx.sfs has been uploaded - see above.

Mike Walsh

Re: 32-bit chromium_49.0.2623.75+pepper_21.0.0.182

#229 Post by Mike Walsh »

peebee wrote:Mike Walsh is a star!

He has discovered how to obtain the latest pepperflash 32-bit - details here.

32-bit chromium_49.0.2623.75+pepper_21.0.0.182_lx.sfs has been uploaded - see above.
Aw, shucks... (as our American cousins would say). War'nt nuthin'!

It's silly, really; because the means for doing this appear to already exist within the Linux release of Chrome. It just isn't fully implemented, the way it is in the Windows version. (Wonder why that is, hmm..?)

Actually, we may be able to mechanise this into a script ( for Chrome, at any rate). Geoffrey's going to try and have a look into this for me, as and when time permits. I suspect for Chromium it may have to remain a 'manual edit', but it's easy enough to do. Just follow the simple instructions as supplied with the tar.gz package (from here):-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 336#894336

Anything to help out fellow 'Puppians'. But I will be glad when it's finally given the 'heave-ho' in favour of full HTML5 web-wide support, I can tell you. It's a real PITA keeping on top of it.... :roll:

The ultimate aim is to make it so that Puppy can offer full Flash support, until web-wide consensus eventually does kill it off... We shall see.

Watch this space.

peebee

Chromium_49.0.2623.108 + pepperflash_21.0.0.197

#230 Post by peebee »

Chromium_49.0.2623.108 + pepperflash_21.0.0.197 is available - see above

Mike Walsh

#231 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, peebee.

Thanks for the converter .pet, by the way. I've used it to get Chromium64 version 49 up-and-running in Tahrpup64. :D

Works pretty well.....and very easy to use.

Cheers!

trlkly

#232 Post by trlkly »

I just confirmed that getting widevine from Chrome works, at least, on the 32-bit version.

I downloaded the last 32bit version of Chrome from the link on archlinux's chromium-widevine package.

I then extracted libwidevinecdm.so and libwidevinecdmadapter.so, and put them in /usr/lib/chromium, replacing the libwidevinecdmadapter.so that was already there.

It doesn't show up in chrome://components, but when I logged into Netflix, I was able to watch video.

Since you add Flash already, maybe consider adding widevine, too.

Mike Walsh

#233 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, trikly.

Mmm..! This could be quite useful information.

I don't use NetFlix myself (don't have the time, for one thng), but I know there's a lot of people here on the forums who do use it, many of whom aren't too happy about installing Chrome in order to be able to do so.

Which version of Chromium have you done this with? Is it one of the newest versions.....or are you like me, with the Pepperflash modules...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101275

...and installing this to an older version of Chromium, just to see if it would work?

Oh, one other thing, trikly; what Puppy are you using? This also might have some bearing on it, 'cos a lot depends on which version of glibc is installed in the Puppy as to whether it'll work with certain Chrome/Chromium features in the first place, y'see.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@peebee:- What do you think.....viable? I started looking into this once before, but upon finding that the libwidevine modules were already there, never went any further. I never thought about replacing one set with another (but then, that's exactly what we're doing with Pepper, isn't it? :) No difference.)

I can't help thinking this has been tried before. I'm sure I've come across at least one post on this subject somewhere in this very sub-forum..... Still, I reckon it'd be very well-received if you could offer 'NetFlix-ready' Chromium, wouldn't it? :D

I can let you have the requisite modules for 32- and 64-bit, if you want to give it a try. Let me know if you want to experiment.

trlkly

#234 Post by trlkly »

Oh. I used the latest Chromium SFS (version 49) that you guys have here. And I'm on tahrpup (6.0.5, I think). I didn't test anything else.

The Chrome I used was version 48, since that's the last 32-bit Linux version. There's a link to the .deb file on the chromium-widevine page I linked earlier.

From what I understand, the ArchLinux [extra] distro started compiling Chromium with widevine support, but without the actual widevine module. Then they came out with the chromium-widevine package to handle that. (Their package only installs libwidevinecdm.so, but I find that not also replacing libwidevinecdmadapter.so leaves Netflix spinning for a while and not working.)

Maybe that patch to allow widevine support went upstream, and so now everyone has it. (That is, assuming you didn't just follow the archlinux compiling options yourself.) That would explain why it didn't work before. There's also a new EME flag in chrome://flags, and it's turned on by default in Chromium 49. (It mentions a legacy EME that is turned off.)

I also assume you have to have the right codecs installed. According to what I find online, Netflix starts with H265, falls back to H264, and then potentially to MPEG-2. No info on the audio codec, but I'd assume AAC, MP3, and possibly any DVD-Video audio format.

----

I really just posted to let people know so they could try it for themselves, but then the idea of having you guys include it in your package occurred to me as I was writing.

And, BTW, I find Chromium 49 rather fast. I think it's because I'm running from USB, which means that the program is essentially running from a RAM disk. Chrome from my hard drive is much slower on startup and opening new tabs.

peebee

#235 Post by peebee »

I need somebody else to take this on please - I don't have any accounts needing this widevine technology and so am unable to test .....

Alien-Bob provides widevine modules at:
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbu ... /pkg/14.1/ 32bit
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbu ... kg64/14.1/ 64bit

but you will note that the 32bit is already lagging the 64bit in version.

He says:
This package contains the Widevine Content Decryption Module (CDM) 1.4.8.824,
extracted from official Chrome binaries (needs chromium of the same version).
NOTE: Only for 64-bit! Google has stopped distribution of 32-bit official
Linux Chrome binaries as of version 49.
For now you can keep using the older 48.0.2564.97 version but I have
no idea when that will stop working.
To test, just download the .txz and then click on the downloaded file to install...

Mike Walsh

#236 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, peebee.
peebee wrote:I need somebody else to take this on please - I don't have any accounts needing this widevine technology and so am unable to test .....
I'm in exactly the same boat as you, here. I don't have anything that needs widevine myself.....but I'm more than happy to co-ordinate testing on this one. How about I put together a post, requesting volunteers?

trikly would appear to be right about the EME flag. I've gone back to using Chromium 36.0.1985.143 in Precise 571, alongside the most recent 32-bit Chrome (48.0.2564.97). Even in 36, if you go into 'chrome://flags', and scan down the page, the option for 'Enable Encrypted Media Extensions' was there, all those versions ago. I've just set 36 up with the sign-in box at the top right, next to the window buttons; it's a handy feature, that wasn't included by default till about 40, 41 (maybe 42...I forget). The option was there for that, too.

Yes, we need some testers. I'll see if I can drum some up. Leave it with me.

trlkly

#237 Post by trlkly »

Do note that, as I said, the widevine from Chrome 48 does still work on Chromium 49. From what I read, the module hadn't changed. But it may in the future.

And I'm probably not going to be able to help much with testing. I hope at least bringing it to your attention is appreciated.

Mike Walsh

#238 Post by Mike Walsh »

trlkly wrote:Do note that, as I said, the widevine from Chrome 48 does still work on Chromium 49. From what I read, the module hadn't changed. But it may in the future.

And I'm probably not going to be able to help much with testing. I hope at least bringing it to your attention is appreciated.
Hi, trikly.

Oh, yes. Very much appreciated. We've got some people trying this out right now, and should have some definite conclusions before very long. In fact, I've opened a NetFlix account myself, for testing purposes. I might even keep it up; I'm a big sci-fi nut, and there's a lot of good stuff on there.

There's a lot of people prefer Chromium to Chrome (when they can't get FireFox to do what they want). Some people point-blank refuse to have anything to do with Google or the Chromium Projects! :lol:

I'm a long-term Chrome user; been with it ever since version 1 was in beta, years ago.....

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 05 Apr 2016, 11:00, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#239 Post by Mike Walsh »

Double post; sorry!

peebee

Chromium 49.0.2623.112 Pepperflash 21.0.0.213

#240 Post by peebee »

Chromium update to 49.0.2623.112
Pepperflash update to 21.0.0.213

- see above