Upup Precise 5.3.3.3 with kernel 3.3.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#241 Post by peebee »

zekebaby wrote:
pemasu wrote:Upup Precise-5.3.3.3 has been uploaded.

- updated broadcom wl - b43 - b43legacy detection
Broadcom/Dell wireless adapter not detected by Network Wizard on Dell D430 (works fine in Racy 5.3 and latest slacko beta)
Hi zekebaby

Is there any reason why you do not use Frisbee? Precise sort of comes with Frisbee "pre-selected" - you just right click on the wifi aerial in the tray to connect. Could you try it?

What mode are you running Precise? If frugal, have you created a savefile and rebooted a couple of times?

Is wlan0 being created? Do you know which driver is being used? (NetWiz will tell you this)? What encryption scheme is being used?

Could you post the output of lsproc and dmesg? Does dmesg show any errors?

Or pm me the output of pmodemdiag (ignore any error messages it might throw).

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

linux28

#242 Post by linux28 »

new2dir make install
error compiler can not
But it can directly use
make install
new2dir can not use it?

01micko

#243 Post by 01micko »

linux28

This was a bug we solved in lucid puppy, it's probably missing installwatch. Perhaps it is in the precise repos.
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

linux28

#244 Post by linux28 »

pygtk?
wxpython?
Install the deb, but does not work

Very like Upup the Precise
Thank pemasu

pemasu

#245 Post by pemasu »

With Python people are very much on their own. I try to avoid Python like plague. I did have Python apps in Snow Puppy....since then I have tried to avoid them as much as I can...

I did need pygtk for my experiments with wireless apple airport dongle for wireless music streaming to my stereos...in Lucid 5.1 time.
I compiled it and...
I got it working but I also decided not to like Python at all...Python seems to conflict how I hope apps to work. Sorry.

Installwatch is in checkinstall deb. Activate ubuntu-precise-universe repo and install it. I have added it to the distro pkgs specs...

Yeah...I will follow this thread actively....

linux28

#246 Post by linux28 »

deadbeef-0.5.2

make
CXX temuopl.lo
CXX u6m.lo
CXX xad.lo
CXX xsm.lo
CXXLD adplug.la
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsupc++
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [adplug.la

linux28

#247 Post by linux28 »

deadbeef-0.5.2

make
CXX temuopl.lo
CXX u6m.lo
CXX xad.lo
CXX xsm.lo
CXXLD adplug.la
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsupc++
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [adplug.la

pemasu

#248 Post by pemasu »

libstdc++6-4.6-dev

I have removed the older libstdc++6-4.4-dev...it seems to be obsolete and leads to missing dev file.
Distro pkgs specs has been updated.

Thanks !

rerwin

#249 Post by rerwin »

zekebaby wrote:Broadcom/Dell wireless adapter not detected by Network Wizard on Dell D430 (works fine in Racy 5.3 and latest slacko beta)
The "updated broadcom detection" may require a second boot-up to have a device be detected by the b43 (open-source) driver. The first boot uses the proprietary (wl) driver if it claims to support a particular device. But sometimes it lies! In that case, an error message is detected and changes are made so that the next boot-up will use b43. So, before concluding that a broadcom wifi device is not detected, try a reboot. If that still fails to detect, then we have a problem to work.
Richard

mrokosz

Upup precise 5.3.3.3

#250 Post by mrokosz »

Pemasu,
Could You please explain why the last image is 30 MB smaller then the previous once's. Is it something not included in the latest image. I did not notice ext4 saving option for the save file. Just I am curious and want only confirmation everything is right. Also to install bleachbit probably I just need pygtk not whole phyton, can You also confirm that. Ubuntu Precise has add on tool called ubuntu tweak, that probably can eliminate bleachbit and is also created specifically for Ubuntu, this package includes distro cleanup and works well on Ubuntu, can it be adopted to puppy. I've got a filling that previous version, I mean 5.3.3.2 worked better than the last one. It works kind of slow.

mrokosz

pemasu

#251 Post by pemasu »

The smaller iso size has been explained in release statement. I used xz compression instead of default gzip. It makes the sfs file smaller. I used the most efficient method for it also...

About ext4 savefile. I havent made savefile yet...so I dont know if the implementation works. And I cant test it now....I have started my other projects already....and I have several scientific documents open and under work. Probably will be couple of days....

I will post what I know when I can....

I cant contribute much now....but I try to give feedback in the form which is possible for me....

About bleachit...and ubuntu tweak. I know nothing about them. Yet....

don570

#252 Post by don570 »

The value of Bleachpit is overblown. It basically removes files
that aren't needed thus saving space.

For someone who is knowledgeable about Upup precise distribution
it would be easy to write a program that duplicated this function.

For instance delete browser cache and thumbnails used by Rox.

Rox has a feature limiting it's thumbnail cache anyway.

pemasu

#253 Post by pemasu »

Keep your savefile slim and healthy

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62110

don570

#254 Post by don570 »

Note to pemasu:

Did you try out my puppy backup app?

A bit of modifying made it compatible to Exprimo and Precise.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77685

peebee

#255 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:
zekebaby wrote:Broadcom/Dell wireless adapter not detected by Network Wizard on Dell D430 (works fine in Racy 5.3 and latest slacko beta)
The "updated broadcom detection" may require a second boot-up to have a device be detected by the b43 (open-source) driver. The first boot uses the proprietary (wl) driver if it claims to support a particular device. But sometimes it lies! In that case, an error message is detected and changes are made so that the next boot-up will use b43. So, before concluding that a broadcom wifi device is not detected, try a reboot. If that still fails to detect, then we have a problem to work.
Richard
Hi Richard

I think we do have a problem as:

no wlan0 is created on initial boot - neither by wl or b43

if wl is blacklisted then b43 does load - I suggest this is the short term fix for people to try

if b43 is blacklisted then wl does not create wlan0 - but dmesg does not show errors and modprobe wl does not give any errors

if I load the pet I sent to pemasu into Precise 5.3.3.3 then wl does work as expected.

I suggest the best course of action is for me to send you a PM with pmodemdiag info so hopefully you can see what has gone wrong in building the pet into the iso.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#256 Post by pemasu »

Or...I did put in MODULESCONFIG the preferences in wrong order, I put it ssb:wl...maybe it should have been wl:ssb ?

Jim1911

#257 Post by Jim1911 »

Re. ext4 save file on shutdown. There was no option to create an ext4 save file when shutting down the two desktops that I tried Precise on. Hopefully Barry's implementation in Woof will work. In the meantime, I used shinobar's pupsaveconfig-2.1.2 which is excellent.

My oldest computer with an intel P4 processor would not shutdown at all, it hung at the shutdown message so I had to manually shut power down. My other desktop with an intel i7 processor shuts down fine.

It's still looking good.

Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#258 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Jim1911. I probably have something somewhere overwriting some of the relevant files. I need to use find command and check my packages.

rerwin

#259 Post by rerwin »

pemasu wrote:Or...I did put in MODULESCONFIG the preferences in wrong order, I put it ssb:wl...maybe it should have been wl:ssb ?
pemasu,
The preference is correct. However, the association between the wl module and its "firmware" is omitted from /etc/modules/firmware.dep.3.3.2-upup. It needs the entry, "wl:wl.ko". The attached fix package inserts it just before the entry, "zd1201_firmware:zd1201.ko". It contains only the pinstall-script command:

Code: Select all

grep -q '^wl:' etc/modules/firmware.dep.`uname -r` || sed -i 's/^zd1201_firmware/wl:wl.ko\n&/' etc/modules/firmware.dep.`uname -r` #Associate module with firmware tarball.
Here is a package anyone can use to add the association to precise-5.3.3.3.

("BTW" deleted. Sorry about my confusion between the puppy version and the kernel version. I'm getting punchy.)
Richard
Attachments
precise-5333_broadcom_fix-1.pet
Adds wl:wl.ko to firmware.dep.3.3.2-upup.
(456 Bytes) Downloaded 269 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 28 Apr 2012, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#260 Post by pemasu »

Thanks rerwin. About naming. The kernel is 3.3.2...the Upup precise version is now 5.3.3.3....next will be 5.3.3.4

So....
# uname -r
3.3.2-upup
....is correct...it outputs the kernel version correctly.

-r, --kernel-release print the kernel release