Puppy 4.2 RC1 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

davesurrey

#281 Post by davesurrey »

Hi ttuuxxx
Well I actually was thinking keep it where it is so that it's fairly visable to newcomers who are most likely to need it but if it really is a question of saving space then I agree Setup is the most logical next choice.
Sorry if my post was confusing.
Cheers
Dave

ttuuxxx

#282 Post by ttuuxxx »

davesurrey wrote:Hi ttuuxxx
Well I actually was thinking keep it where it is so that it's fairly visable to newcomers who are most likely to need it but if it really is a question of saving space then I agree Setup is the most logical next choice.
Cheers
Dave
Well WhoDo can choose which one he likes :)
smaller the menu height better for small laptops
ttuuxxx
Attachments
movedHelp.png
(57.56 KiB) Downloaded 1703 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

gerry

#283 Post by gerry »

Running live cd, 4.2 does not unmount the cd after boot-up, and won't allow me to unmount it with pmount.

I used a Puppy 4.12 pup-save file to see how update happened. I set up my printer in cups, using smb as the printer is attached to a Windows machine. I get a cups message saying there is a syntax error in smb.conf, use testparm to debug it. We don't have testparm do we? (Yes, I know- we can't have everything in our little distro.) Anyone else got this? Or is it a one-off?

I'll try again with a virgin Pupsave.

Gerry

ttuuxxx

#284 Post by ttuuxxx »

davesurrey wrote:Hi ttuuxxx
Cheers
Dave
New comers can see it on the desktop, or when they go to setup something and need help, they'll find it in the setup :) Makes sense to me, You know even when I was new to Linux, I never looked that document over once, The only time I look at it is when I get a puppy iso mixed up and want to know the model number, usually its on the top.
ttuuxxx

TheBlackSheep

#285 Post by TheBlackSheep »

Gerry said.
I used a Puppy 4.12 pup-save file to see how update happened. I set up my printer in cups, using smb as the printer is attached to a Windows machine. I get a cups message saying there is a syntax error in smb.conf, use testparm to debug it. We don't have testparm do we? (Yes, I know- we can't have everything in our little distro.) Anyone else got this? Or is it a one-off?
I spent a couple of hours messing around with this last night trying to get CUPS to work in a similar configuration (canon printer on a windows-xp share) and couldn't get it to work either. Running "testparm" did work but didn't highlight any issues - I thought it was a permissions thing as the error with a test print in CUPS says it can't load smb.conf or something similar. I tried creating a save.2fs file but that didn't make any difference.

I thought it was maybe my system and was planning to try again tonight to give Ttuuxx some more feedback on this. I have had it working with Dingo previously but think I had to download something else (possibly a 17Mb gutenprint pet) from somewhere to get the full canon drivers in here. Ttuuxx's work on this should hopefully avoid the problem but can't see what else needs changing to get this to work yet!

Not strictly a 4.2 issue but one useful addition on the Samba package in the PET repository might be the addition of the symbolic link that needs to go into the CUPS backend in /usr/lib/cups/backend. Since CUPS is in the system by default, the addition of the symbolic link when samba is installed presumably won't upset anything but would make M$ printers accessible directly from CUPS following samba installation (or would the CUPS daemon also need restarting?). The information on this is available in the forums as in rcrsn51's message here;

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 18&t=29124

but I think the info is not so easy to find. Also some hints for the format of the URL for smb on the cups html page might be useful (as in "smb://username:password@windows-device/printer-share"), I must've added the printer three times last night before I realised I'd not been putting the windows username/password in the URL ;-).

Chris

aragon

Re: PPLOG Hiawatha problem

#286 Post by aragon »

aragon wrote:
growler wrote:
aragon wrote:
- pplog didn't run. i also could not open 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1'. Everything is "403" if i look at pprocess, hiawatha is running as 'nobody'. might that be the problem?

This bugs the life out of me (pun intended) because I can start PPLOG, follow the prompt to fire up Hiawatha and then all is well. Why should it work on my machine and not on yours? I have no idea, since I can't duplicate the problem in the first place. I'm sorry aragon, but that needs to be debugged by someone who actually has the problem and can then pass on the solution for everyone else.
I get this problem too and have meditated on it for much longer than is healthy!!
I guess WhoDo is using a full HD install to build the unleashed tree - Aragon and I using a frugal.
The issue is that the user nobody is unable to read /root/httpd/hiawatha - the web-root files!! The problem can be repeated by going

#cd /root/httpd/hiawatha
#su nobody
#less index.html

permission denied!!!

but the files show that they are readable by all?? What the ....

I am thinking this is something to do with the layered file system glitch. I even changed ownership of /root/httpd/hiawatha to our friend nobody but still nobody is unable to read these files... something is way wrong here.

Appreciate anyone's input to fix this!! I am surprised this issue only affects hiawatha/PPLOG perhaps this is the only application that uses an alternative user other than root?
@ growler

a short report:

yes i'm running frugal.

but to test, i started the iso on virtualbox. i changed nothing, did not setup anything (aside of mouse, keyboard and display) and tried to start pplog.

result: "403"
errorlog: access denied by filesystem

atm i have no idea at all.

but if i remember right, i've been able to run pplog in beta1 or beta2, so maybe this is a point to hunt for differences.

aragon
just a status report:

tested now also with alpha4, beta1 (pplog not in) and beta 2. all same results: 'not running'.

so no further idea other than growler's so far. i've no idea at all.

aragon

gerry

#287 Post by gerry »

As I mentioned before, running live cd, the cd is not unmounted after boot. In fact, when I start an application for the first time during a session, it loads from the cd. This takes a long time. If I close the app, then next time I start it, it starts quickly. Is this the way this version of Puppy is supposed to work??

Gerry

playdayz

PWidget Weather

#288 Post by playdayz »

PWidgets dialog shows Puppy Linux, clock, calendar, puppyspace, and weather on desktop--but I can't see the weather.

I clicked Apply and there came the weather.

tasmod

#289 Post by tasmod »

Last ones due to timing. If you click apply, you make it go online to site straightaway to retrieve weather info.

mawebb88

Eee PC901 ressolution

#290 Post by mawebb88 »

According to Hardinfo the Eee PC901 is 1024x600.
Rgds Mike
davesurrey wrote:mawebb88
The "Puppy Linux Package Manager" window does not fit on an Eee PC901 screen height wise.

ttuuxxx
take a screenshot and submit it here, I'll fix it
I remember this coming up on the DingoPlus thread last year where it seems this is a prob with Puppy Package Manager itself going back to Pup4.0.
With the small screens on these netbooks you can usually hold down the Alt key with the mouse left key to move the window but it doesn't work with PPM.

Probably never fixed before because it's not really an issue except with a netbook or similar small screen (800x480) in which case it's a big nuisance.

HTH
Dave

TheBlackSheep

#291 Post by TheBlackSheep »

Update on RC1 printing to Windows shared Canon Pixma MP160.

Ok started again - straight from ram based boot (not from CD but without loading a saved 2fs file)

Setup locale and network, Installed Samba from PET4 repository, added the symbolic link and restarted CUPS. Added the printer as;

smb://192.168.0.8/mp160

chose the relevant canon driver and setup the defaults.

Error reported when trying to print test file was "can not load .../smb.conf", went to file and did "chmod 666 smb.conf". Restarted CUPS again, printer worked but reported "Can not find ticket cache for root" Ahhh!!! :-| but then I spotted gerry's post here;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 41&t=34819

and realised it's not necessarily the "Administrator" user that's important but just any valid windows user name, so changed the url to;

smb://chris@192.168.0.8/mp160

and bingo, printing works and CUPS retrieves the printing progress from the shared printer. Have also changed the ip-address to the windows device name and all still fine!

Also confirmed printing works direct from Abiword (to the same printer of course).

Hurrah!! :-)

Chris

mawebb88

Moving PPM

#292 Post by mawebb88 »

The "hold down the Alt key with the mouse left key to move the window" works for me both in JWM and ICEWM. Thanks. Mike :)
davesurrey wrote: you can usually hold down the Alt key with the mouse left key to move the window but it doesn't work with PPM.

hxc

4.2 RC1 Observations

#293 Post by hxc »

First of all, great work guys, thanks for continuing such a great project!

Now, on to a few observations:

1.) I've tested 4.12 on a great many platforms and found it to be smooth, attractive and reliable. 4.2 RC1 seems slower for some reason and doesn't run as well on the older machines. For example, the Space War game is quite playable on a Dimension 8100 running 4.12, but unusable on 4.2 RC1. Is this due to the "borrowing" of another applications packages as opposed to building the PET's by hand?

2.) The new themes and icons don't look as good as the old ones on older hardware. 4.12 was stunning even on the D 8100, but 4.2 RC1 takes a lot of tweaking to get a decent look. The gradient backgrounds look pixelated.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all. I'm just trying to get a feel for the kind of hardware we're going to be able to salvage and donate to charitable causes in the future and if the project is going to require better hardware, then so be it. I just don't want to trash usable stuff if the performance/display issues aren't permanent.

ecube

Left-handed mouse

#294 Post by ecube »

Apparently Xvesa server doesn't support xmodmap. Thus, Xorg is required for left-handed mouse. I suggest that the Mouse Wizard text is changed accordingly.

Ecube.
Attachments
input-wizard.gz
(4.94 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
mouse.png
(24.2 KiB) Downloaded 895 times

WhoDo

Re: Testing on an Eee 901

#295 Post by WhoDo »

mawebb88 wrote:Overall I would say this is not at RC status at the present.
Agreed, absolutely. Please see my reasoning - given much earlier in this thread - for applying RC status to what is effectively a Beta release. Just a question (not a shot at you at all) ... would you have tried this version and found all of these valid problems if it had been released as Beta3? If the answer is no, then you have confirmed the logic in my decision! :P

Thank you for your report. It is much appreciated. Now that ttuuxxx is over the immediate :shock: from your apparent criticism of his hard work, I'm pleased to see that he is working to resolve these issues for all of us. 8)

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

Re: clock skins in widgets

#296 Post by WhoDo »

davesurrey wrote:Small issue:

The clock skins for Ring and Roman are the same (ie Roman).
See /root/.pwidgets/clock_skins.
And Ring.png is showing up as 77kB !
This is a small "glitch" in the Pwidgets analog clock widget. The Ring skin has been used as the "default" in the widget code, so when you select to display Roman or any other skin, that overwrites Ring with a copy of Roman or that other skin. A quick workaround is to reinstall Pwidgets and copy the original Ring to ORing or similar before changing skins. Then it will be available to copy back whenever you want.

I'm sure the guys in the Pwidgets team would appreciate a "heads up" in their thread on this one.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#297 Post by WhoDo »

brymway wrote:The new things that are included in this release will go a looooonngg way to getting my wife and daughters to prefer Puppy over MS and OSX.
Now THAT'S what I'm "talkin' about, Willis"! :lol: More Puppy addicts in the making! :P

ttuuxxx

#298 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey WhoDo

Nice to see your back in the building :wink: again
So what do you think of the JWM shutdown? I made you 2 versions, one with the moved menu Help link, and one without moving it, Is it the way you envisioned it?
ttuuxxx

WhoDo

#299 Post by WhoDo »

Lobster wrote:
Puppy 4.12 Retro loads
As far as I am aware Warren intends to release a 4.20 Retro
but so far has not - if so hope that works on your netbook :)
Yes, I'm a one-step-at-a-time kind of guy! :P Since the only difference between the standard and retro versions is the choice of kernel, I have deliberately left that until we work out the major issues with the standard version.

Certainly I could upload a retro kernel version and increase the pool of testers in doing so, but then I'd need to upload 6 x ISO files instead of 3 and at around 1 hour for each upload, it's a bit too taxing for a comparatively small return.

Please rest assured, there WILL be a retro version when we are closer to the end of the release cycle.

BTW, Ed, thanks for the updated release notes. I'm not at home at the moment and not using my Puppy laptop, so I'll have to wait to download them until later.

WhoDo

#300 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:I made the JWM shutdown the way WhoDo asked for :wink:
Yep. That's exactly what I wanted - a shutdown dialog that had a consistent look and feel for those switching between the two window managers.

aragon's version of the original has the JWM-Gtk look and that is a more consistent look for those who are unlikely to switch into Icewm. OTOH I'm hoping most users will go back and forth between the two and so make an informed decision about which WM best suits their needs. Those who intend to stick with JWM and not venture into the land of Icewm can then download aragon's version from early in the thread and use that instead.

Of course the choice between JWM and Icewm just got a whole lot harder thanks to Patriot's excellent implementation of a composite manager, translucent windows and menus and rounded window corners! :P