Lucid Puppy 5.0 - Bug Reports and Bug Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
jfanderson57

Re: Memory problems in LuPu501

#281 Post by jfanderson57 »

[quote="However, there seems to be a problem with freeing up memory. I didn't notice a t first and the first few boots seemed to run as it was supposed.
I[/quote]
I'm having the same problem. If I work long enough on my labtop (Dell of ancient lineage). The system will completely freeze. I usually have to bootfrom CD and run e2fsck on /dev/sda1 to clean up enough to boot from HDD.
This is a good distrubution, but I am having serious issues with memory not being freed.
Any suggestions to fix this?
Thanks,
John

RJARRRPCGP

#282 Post by RJARRRPCGP »

RJARRRPCGP wrote:The X.Org extension "glx" appears to be missing.

This is what xerrs.log in /tmp contains, from a live CD boot:

(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)

It's looking like I may have to go back to 4.3!
But I can fix that by installing the Nvidia package with Nvidia GPU.

But with Intel GPU, I dunno, but it looks like the module "glx" was left out and I have to install a .pet to fix it. That's sad. :(

I doubt the ISO would change by much if full Intel support was already included on CD.

The only thing that really changes, if at all, is the reported RAM usage.
Don't be surprised if top reports at least about 192 MB used with onboard graphics.

In that case, with Intel graphics, I'm afraid that the only possible solution is to lower the video memory allocation setting in the BIOS.

Ibidem

Xorg_High?

#283 Post by Ibidem »

I suspect Xorg High (under Drivers in Quickpet) may be helpful.
Xorg High contains drivers for ATI & Intel.

For RAM consumption, there's something up with recent kernels where caching and buffers are reported as used RAM. Noticed that/found it out when I was running Lucid Lynx alpha3.

imnotrich

5.1.1 network wizard doesn't see wifi and other bugs

#284 Post by imnotrich »

So to get past the blank screen at boot up bug and keyboard issues I had to turn acpi off, and now I have a sort of functional live 5.1.1 running. But when I rebooted, the acpi=off setting was not saved in my .sfs. Where do I save this setting, if I don't use grub?

The wired network wizard pulls an IP just fine and i can bop around the internet, but wireless (realtek 8180/8185) refuses to connect in fact doesn't even see my wifi when scanning despite being 18 inches from the router or when I'm sitting on the sofa downstairs.

Worked perfectly in 4.3.1, but with 5.1.1 no joy. The proper module is loaded but just for grins I tried re-loading. Doubt it matters but I am running DD-WRT WPA2 with a visible SSID. Puppy repeatedly says no networks detected.

Yes, I did install the update 2 pet, didn't help.

What am I missing?

While we're at it, let's find out why Puppy is not recognizing usb flash drives when they're inserted - they should probably automount but regardless...the puppy "mounter" does not see them so I can't mount them.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#285 Post by Béèm »

Imnotrich, you are in the wrong thread. You won't have much attention here.
In the sticky threads of this section there is one specially for 5.1.1 issues.
You better use this one.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]