My report on Quirky 6.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Billtoo

#301 Post by Billtoo »

timothyli wrote:This is more about Seamonkey than Quirky6. Does anyone know why this video podcast, one of my favourites, is so laggy under Seamonkey?
http://twit.tv/show/this-week-in-google/231
I have Chrome browser on my other puppies and it plays fine under Chrome.
By the way I just did a fresh install of 6.1.2 and it works great. Thanks!
I tried it in Seamonkey and it player okay but when I went full screen it was laggy.
It plays fine in xbmc under wine on this pc which has the proprietary nvidia driver installed.
Attachments
xbmcscreen.jpg
(50.35 KiB) Downloaded 748 times

James C

#302 Post by James C »

Used the Upgrade Manager to upgrade to 6.1.2....... rebooted....... no problems.Everything appears to be working as expected.

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1033MB (209MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Quirky - 6.1.2
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 10 Jan 2014 10:43:31 AM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

timothyli

#303 Post by timothyli »

Billtoo wrote:
timothyli wrote:This is more about Seamonkey than Quirky6. Does anyone know why this video podcast, one of my favourites, is so laggy under Seamonkey?
http://twit.tv/show/this-week-in-google/231
I have Chrome browser on my other puppies and it plays fine under Chrome.
By the way I just did a fresh install of 6.1.2 and it works great. Thanks!
I tried it in Seamonkey and it player okay but when I went full screen it was laggy.
It plays fine in xbmc under wine on this pc which has the proprietary nvidia driver installed.
Yes, the problem is with fullscreen. Chrome plays fine in fullscreen though. Perhaps Chrome has some "secret sauce" which Seamonkey does not have:) and that's why I am looking forward to a Chrome pet for Quirky 6 to try. However, having said that, I do notice that Seamonkey plays other videos (e.g. Youtube) fine even in fullscreen.

gcmartin

#304 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Timothyli

And, as suggested, if could be a video driver issue on the local PC. My ignorance in this matter suggest that it could be the fact of HTML5 (Chrome) vs Flash (Seamonkey) or it may be a codec issue (version). Again, my ignorance suggest this.

Hope this helps

slenkar

#305 Post by slenkar »

has anyone gotten skype to work?
also Dropbox works but doesnt show up in the tray

I tried an old version of skype from portable linux apps but it said it wants
libXv.so.1

I also need libGL.so.1

I installed the xorg driver for intel from the quirky6 archive.org page
ran xorg wizard and chose Intel
but it still says direct rendering: No

BarryK
Puppy Master

#306 Post by BarryK »

eowens2 wrote:Using quirky 6.1.1.

'Business/Ycalc' does not open from Menu.

'ycalc' in terminal also does not open, and gives error "Cannot open font '8x13'".

'Business/Xcalc' opens from menu and seems to be functioning.

'xcalc' from terminal opens and appears to function, but gives a bunch of warnings.
This was caused by a bug in an earlier version of Quirky, when you installed the 'devx' PET I think. It caused the /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/misc directory to disappear.

Without the 'misc' fonts directory, some X11 apps such as ycalc and rxvt won't work.

You could get that folder out of another Quirky or Puppy, to repair your installation, or do a fresh installation of 6.1.2.

Note, if you have taken system snapshots, they may also be broken, so a fresh install is recommended.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#307 Post by BarryK »

slenkar wrote:has anyone gotten skype to work?

libXv.so.1

I also need libGL.so.1

This has libXv and libGL:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... uirky6.pet
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

smokey01

#308 Post by smokey01 »

I've just upgraded Quirky-6.1.1 to 6.1.2 using the PET and it all looks fine so far. It now shuts down properly because it didn't in 6.1.1.

The only problem I have found so far is HardInfo. If the first menu item, Computer, is selected the application closes. The remaining items seem ok.

I installed VLC from the repository and it's working much better than MPlayer. MPlayer has problem displaying full screen on my desktop. I'm sure It could be fixed by using the appropriate Nvidia driver but I like VLC much better anyway.

The current installation is running from a 4G SanDisk Cruzer Blade flash drive.

Good job Barry.

slenkar

#309 Post by slenkar »

BarryK wrote:
slenkar wrote:has anyone gotten skype to work?

libXv.so.1

I also need libGL.so.1

This has libXv and libGL:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... uirky6.pet
thanks they work now

sszindian

Memory usage

#310 Post by sszindian »

@ james C :

Hi... just curious... I noticed your two benchmark tests of the new Quirky (graphics attached) and wondered if you have any thoughts on this?

Your post on 08/Jan/2014 for Quirky 6.1.1 shows a very low usage of memory compared to your post on 10/Jan/2014 with Quirky 6.1.2 with much higher memory usage.

My question: - Quirky which 'I think' is a fork of Racy as is Lina-Lite has this problem -Do you find the newer version of Quirky more of a RAM-HOG now than before?

Reason I'm asking is Lina-Lite-0.0.5 sometimes builds the ram usage like this, sometimes up in the 300+ range. It doesn't appear to affect performance of the program but the 'fan' runs a lot faster... Racy, Wheezy, Slacko, Raring, SuperLupu and some others all run with under 100 +/- RAM at desktop idle (if you can call it that) and the fan runs a lot slower.

Would like to try to pinpoint this and possibly someone with the knowledge could correct it or at least tell us why this is happening.

'Thanks for your time!'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

smokey01

#311 Post by smokey01 »

sszindian my Quirky-6.1.2 uses 57M when running idle with no apps running however, uses 215M when Seamonkey is running.

Cheers

sszindian

RAM

#312 Post by sszindian »

smokey01 wrote:
sszindian my Quirky-6.1.2 uses 57M when running idle with no apps running however, uses 215M when Seamonkey is running.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Thanks for that smokey01' I haven't had the time lately to jump in on Quirky build... hope to soon though! I seems as we get older time gets much, much, shorter :cry:

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

8-bit

#313 Post by 8-bit »

I initially tried to use the install to hard drive script running it from a terminal in the directory the files were in.
The script stopped after reporting that mkfs.f2fs did not exist on Slacko 5.5.
So I guess I will have to try another version of Puppy to see if the needed file is included in it.
So that tells me that not all versions of Puppy have all the files needed for use by the script.

slavvo67

Seamonkey Pop-up returns

#314 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi Barry,

If you recall, I downloaded the unofficial 6.1.2 in error a few days back where I announced the Seamonkey pop-up was fixed. It looks like it's back again in the official 6.1.2 release. This was off a clean install onto USB.

I had the FFConvert working on the previous 6.1.2, as well by adding the right click tools located at the bottom of the page on the following link:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=195

Or directly here:

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/00aa27d3

Best,

Slavvo67

smokey01

#315 Post by smokey01 »

I tried Quirky on my ASUS 1015 PEM and it worked very well, quite speedy in fact. Not bad for a 1.6Mhz machine.

Wifi and sound both worked fine and so did the touch pad including tapping.

My HP ProBook also worked very well except tapping didn't work. This is a UEFI machine so I was quite surprised when it worked so well.

Cheers

slavvo67

Quirky 6.1.2

#316 Post by slavvo67 »

The SeaMonkey pop-up appears to go away after 3 or 4 times of use. Seems okay after that.

Snapshot manager works. Restored fine with reboot option. A little slow in my eyes but not the end of the world.

Best,

Slavvo67

James C

#317 Post by James C »

Used Upgrade Manager to upgrade another install from 6.1.1 to 6.1.2 ...... all looking good.

-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory : 2065MB (200MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Quirky - 6.1.2
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 11 Jan 2014 05:30:15 AM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

bobtron

Q6.1.2

#318 Post by bobtron »

Greets Q-folks!
My test notes: in Q6.1.1 downloaded repo {Billtoo} VLC and ibiblio QT stuff...worked a couple times then it would only load file but refused to play.
Started over clean partition sda6, loaded Quirky 6.1 then took service pack update to Q6.1.2..installed VLC from repo and QT from ibiblio files..same symptoms..worked fine a couple times then it would load file {proper time counter} but would not play..also tried to uninstall VLC / QT stuff but i don't know. still had menu entry in Multimedia. Am I missing something or doing it wrong?

bobtron

Q6.0

#319 Post by bobtron »

I have had no problems with Seamonkey popups that a lot of the lads have reported...Seamonkey has worked for me OOTB ever since Barry K. unleashed Q to the world ~ New years eve?
Also, Seamonkey addons {download helper} work fine for Youtube or podcast clips.

James C

Re: Memory usage

#320 Post by James C »

sszindian wrote:@ james C :

Hi... just curious... I noticed your two benchmark tests of the new Quirky (graphics attached) and wondered if you have any thoughts on this?

Your post on 08/Jan/2014 for Quirky 6.1.1 shows a very low usage of memory compared to your post on 10/Jan/2014 with Quirky 6.1.2 with much higher memory usage.
In the above post,SeaMonkey is open along with Hardinfo and Xclipboard.

Code: Select all

Memory : 2065MB (200MB used)

The Screenie of Htop is the same install at idle w/ nothing running.

Haven't noticed any difference in performance between the Quirky versions and overall it seems to use less ram than other Pup's ....... at least on my hardware.
Attachments
Quirky 6.1.2 at idle.jpg
(96.45 KiB) Downloaded 809 times