Fatdog64-700 beta2 [Closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

#341 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Jamesbond. I remember your asking for some coding for FirstRUN which could work for friendly user system start where user feels he has covered the basics, personally, at initial boot on one's system. A false sense of power, I know, yet, it begins a level of comfort to all PUP users.

Here is the FirstRUN facility that @TaZoC adapted for LightHouse (which his system models after FATDOG in basic system structure).

Hope this helps in some small way.
Attachments
2JamesBond.tar.gz
App positioned for FATDOG
(17.29 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

boblark

#342 Post by boblark »

Keyboard collision:
SD64 as with others, uses ALT-F4 to close an app. I need to disable it and it doesn't come from Sven. Can somebody steer me to the file that controls this?

(I must confess i altered this in Puppy 5.x and can't find how I did it---shame)

WillM

#343 Post by WillM »

Hi boblark

In the file /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml there is a key binding for A-F4 to close windows. rc.xml may also be in ~/.config/openbox

boblark

#344 Post by boblark »

WillM wrote:
In the file /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml there is a key binding for A-F4 to close windows. rc.xml may also be in ~/.config/openbox
SOLVED - That did it when I commented out the binding on the first file. I couldn't find any more rc.xml files in a search, and it all survived a reboot, so onward. Thanks

gcmartin

#345 Post by gcmartin »

Alt-F4 is a 30 year old International architectural standard for closing desktop windows. Just like the X in a dialogue box on the Window, itself.

Of course, I'm sure you know this.

boblark

#346 Post by boblark »

Yes, it is sort of a battle of old stuff. The colliding program goes back to 1996 used for controlling an SDR (DSP-10 radio), before they were called that. It uses SCROLL-ALT-F4 for ending the program.

The neat thing is that it runs just fine under SD64 and DOSBox. The last MS OS that was fully able to do that was Win98! XP ran it, but latency issues messed up a bunch of functionality.

jamesbond

#347 Post by jamesbond »

@gcmartin: thanks for the first-run scripts. Have you tested whether it works with Fatdog?
gcmartin wrote:Alt-F4 is a 30 year old International architectural standard for closing desktop windows. Just like the X in a dialogue box on the Window, itself.

Of course, I'm sure you know this.
Well, I certainly don't know that.

As far as I know, this Alt-F4 thingy comes from the world of Windows. No other GUI environments prior to Windows use Alt-F4 for closing a desktop window. Non-Windows keyboard may not even have an "Alt" key ... And 30 years ago, Windows was barely a standard (Windows 1.0 was released on November 1985) ...

Same as "X" to close windows. Windows 1.0 doesn't even have an "X", neither did early Macs, neither did early X Windows manager (twm, mwm). They all used little squares or different symbols; some didn't even have an icon - you'd had to right-click and choose "Kill" or something.

EDIT: Typo and clarification.
Last edited by jamesbond on Fri 30 Jan 2015, 20:25, edited 2 times in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

stemsee

#348 Post by stemsee »

I just closed google chrome using alt-F4. and a rox window! cool..

Ted Dog

#349 Post by Ted Dog »

Earliest was 25 years ago in Xwindows for AltF4 for me, but I also recall crazy three button mice and interweb was run with gophers. :lol:

prehistoric

#350 Post by prehistoric »

Ted Dog wrote:Earliest was 25 years ago in Xwindows for AltF4 for me, but I also recall crazy three button mice and interweb was run with gophers. :lol:
Bet you also know how to access an M.I.T. AI lab coke machine from the keyboard of a Lisp machine.

jamesbond

#351 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:Earliest was 25 years ago in Xwindows for AltF4 for me, but I also recall crazy three button mice and interweb was run with gophers. :lol:
Well, it ain't dead yet :lol: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... verbiteff/
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

anikin

#352 Post by anikin »

stemsee

#353 Post by stemsee »

That is 'Ctrl + Alt + Del' ... this 'Alt + F4' ... hellooo!

Ted Dog

#354 Post by Ted Dog »

I recall it was so easy to use the interweb to setup remote file folders, why is it like pulling teeth now days on my private lan? No MIT was too far away we had a remote controlled coffee pot and its own little icon in X on a SUN server it would alert you on the freshness of the coffee. That was about 7 minute walk so useful :wink:

anikin

#355 Post by anikin »

stemsee wrote:That is 'Ctrl + Alt + Del' ... this 'Alt + F4' ... hellooo!
I'm just expanding gcmartin's theory a bit.

neerajkolte

#356 Post by neerajkolte »

I tried making an SFS of Vivaldi Browser.
But when I run try to run it as spot, using following command, I get error

Code: Select all

# run-as-spot vivaldi-stable
su: can't execute '/bin/dash': Permission denied
stat /bin/dash says

# stat /bin/dash
  File: '/bin/dash'
  Size: 74832     	Blocks: 152        IO Block: 4096   regular file
Device: 10h/16d	Inode: 238         Links: 1
Access: (0775/-rwxrwxr-x)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 2015-01-28 14:32:00.209338640 +0530
Modify: 2014-10-25 08:30:19.000000000 +0530
Change: 2015-01-28 14:32:00.209338640 +0530
 Birth: -
# 
Maybe I am using run-as-spot wrongly.
Any help?
Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

SFR

#357 Post by SFR »

neerajkolte wrote:

# run-as-spot vivaldi-stable 
su: can't execute '/bin/dash': Permission denied
Hmm, I've seen this before... I think you need to repack the SFS. But this time make sure all crucial directories like vivaldi/usr, vivaldi/usr/bin, vivaldi/usr/share etc. have proper permissions and ownership (in most cases it will be 0755/root:root), especially the top-most directory, which is later given as a parameter to mksquashfs (in this case: mksquashfs vivaldi vivaldi-browser.sfs).

HTH
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

neerajkolte

#358 Post by neerajkolte »

Thanks SFR,
I will try it tomorrow.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

rufwoof

#359 Post by rufwoof »

@JamesBond

I always remaster to a version where the ISO files have local copies of those files stored internally. i.e. all ISO files except the fd64.sfs and kernel-modules.sfs - which the remaster process creates anyway. Typically I create a /usr/sbin/remaster/ISO-FILES directory and copy them to there. That way you can remaster without either a CD or local ISO file (just point the remaster process to the vmlinuz in the /usr/sbin/remaster/ISO-FILES directory).

Particularly handy if your pup contains a PXE server as then any PXE booted client can remaster and drop the initrd/vmlinuz into the PXE server directory and become a PXE server itself.

I've changed my version of fatdog-remaster.sh to use gzip -1 mksquashfs compression and it remasters a lot more quickly - typically around a minute compared to around 5 mins when using xz high compression. Larger ISO output, but if you're only using the ISO to extract initrd/vmlinuz and frugal boot its better to have the faster remaster time.

gcmartin

#360 Post by gcmartin »

Removed. Sent as a PM, instead.