tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
sheldonisaac

the modified initrd.gz

#361 Post by sheldonisaac »

mavrothal wrote:Here is an initrd.gz[/url] for tahrpup-6.0
It has been tested in frugal installs in ext4 and vfat filesystems, with heavy and light encrypted savefiles as well as in version upgrate and works OK for me. So please test regardless if you have a boot issue or not, particularly if your setup is not any of the above or you have strange hardware.
I have only an ordinary frugal install on hard drive, no encrypted save files, none "of the above".

Renamed the existing initrd.gz, added yours; it booted the same as usual, as far as I could see.
I'm posting from it now.

Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

peebee

My usb keyboard problem

#362 Post by peebee »

Have now had my crawl about on the floor....

Have tested 3 usb keyboards - 2 wireless and 1 wired...

In both the rear usb sockets and the front panel sockets...

With each being the only keyboard attached.

All behave the same:

Under k3.4.x kernels they work perfectly

Under kernels since 3.12.22 (earliest post 3.4 tested) they:

behave correctly for grub4dos boot selection

are ignored / don't work for initrd savefolder selection

behave correctly once the system has booted with no savefolder selection.

WRT Mav's latest initrd.....under k3.4.103..... When I type 0 to boot with no savefolder then the savefolder with id=2 is mounted (choices are 0, 1, 2).

One other test - wired usb keyboard connected to my laptop:
doesn't work for grub4dos
does work for initrd savefolder selection
does work once booted

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rcrsn51

#363 Post by rcrsn51 »

I wonder if this is some kind of USB timing problem specific to this machine and these kernels. It's like when people complain that their USB bootable Puppy gives "sfs not found" because the Linux USB system has not yet initialized when Puppy needs to use it.

It's too bad that Puppy does not have a "waitusb" boot argument like Fatdog and other distros.

gowriel

Re: tahrpup 6.0 CE

#364 Post by gowriel »

666philb wrote:Puppy Linux 6.0 tahrpup CE
3.14.20 kernel

Tahrpup is built from ubuntu 14.04 LTS trusty tahr packages, and includes all the latest fixes and improvements from the 'woof CE testing branch'.

save to folder, easy kernel swapping, suspend to ram, quickpet, palemoon, vlc, deadbeef, qt, python, getflash, rightclick options, listDD, copyfast, samba tng, battery alarm, libhal fix, vdpau drivers, bash fix, frisbee fix.
the latest.... JWM, parcellite, mtpaint, sylpheed, geany, asunder, mhwaveedit, ffconvert, pavrecord, pburn, urxvt, abiword, grub4dos, isomaster, pfind, psync, sfsload and more.

thanks to all the developers, contributors & testers ......
barry k, 01micko, shinobar, mavrothal, giro, rcrsn51, zigbert, sfr, peebee, wjaguar, james c, billtoo, musher0, don570, wyzguy, radky, sszindiian, live, B.K.johnson, brownmouse, pemasu, gcmartin, and anyone i've forgot to mention.

tahrpup was only possible because of 'woofCE' ,maintained by 01micko and contributed to by various others.... all the hard work went on there :)

downloads:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 20-6.0-CE/
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... 20-6.0-CE/ quicker download usually

please read the post below this one to see any outstanding issues with tahrpup.

updates & bugfixes
If you open Quickpet you'll see a 'tahrpup bug fixes' button. As bugs are discovered and fixed, clicking on this button will install all the latest fixes, so it's a good idea to check this regularly.
After numerous fixes, they'll all be combined into a puppy service pack. when a service pack is available, you'll be prompted about it automatically when you open the puppy package manager.

please posts bugs in the bugs threadhttp://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 292#805292

enjoy

666philb
hello there Phil! I must congratulate you for this puppy distro!It's very very good and so far the only one that didn't made me bite the keyboard! As you may conclude I'm not new to linux but I have just one question for you : where is the buton for "screensaver settings"?! I watch a movie and I have to bet out of bed every 10 minutes to move the mouse so that the screen won't go black/in stand by! I am sure it's not a setting from the monitor itself so please tell me where's that setting for the screensaver! In almost all linux distros I have tried so far it was easy to find , in the preferences! I have no other bad things to say about tahr 6 , although I don't have a hard disk(died long ago), one memory card gave up the ghost too and now I have only 2 Gb of RAM memory and the whole tahrpup is on a 16 Gb stick with a 4 Gb just for itself :-) .
Thank you kindly once again and I hope you can answer me soon! Until then I'll probably use a llooong stick to move the mouse from the bed when I watch a movie! Cheers from Romania! 8)
here's a screenshot of the tahrpup:

http://img.plici.ro/image/FPd

mavrothal

Re: My usb keyboard problem

#365 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote:WRT Mav's latest initrd.....under k3.4.103..... When I type 0 to boot with no savefolder then the savefolder with id=2 is mounted (choices are 0, 1, 2).
Right!
Actually this is an issue in gyro's code since CREATEPUPSAVE2FS is not empty. If I patch the code to remove the entry then it still boots to PUPMODE=2 without a save folder.
As far as I can see this is not related to savefolder fs check, not to symlinking zdrv to initfs (removed them and the issue remains). So must be something with the moving of the savefile selection latter. Is probably because the PUPMODE is already set earlier before the savefile/folder selection
Have you tried it in your earlier tests with gyro's patch?
I'll look at it (if gyro does not first Very Happy )
peebee wrote:One other test - wired usb keyboard connected to my laptop:
doesn't work for grub4dos
does work for initrd savefolder selection
does work once booted
Grub4dos loads before the initrd so the new initrd can not affect it.
However, it looks like that it does auto inserts the required module in initrd, so is good I guess Very Happy

(Ooops. Edited this post instead of posting the one below :roll: . Hopefully I got it back to its original glory :P )
Last edited by mavrothal on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 07:26, edited 7 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

bigpup

#366 Post by bigpup »

gowriel,

Welcome to Puppy land. :!: :D

menu->Desktop->PupX set properties of X-> Screensaver

This is a very simple screensaver as you can see by the options.
Just turn it off or when watching movies.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gowriel

#367 Post by gowriel »

:shock: damn... is that simple?! I once messed with "X" and got the resolution really bad ; had to start all over again and maybe that's why I don't get anywhere near anything that modifies "x" parameters! I'm ashamed of myself now for asking this on a puppy forum...
thank you again and sorry for such a question!I'll remember where the screensaver is from now on!

Billtoo

#368 Post by Billtoo »

New manual frugal install of TahrPup to a 64gb SDXC card, pc is an AAO
netbook.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Fri 26 Dec 2014 on tahrpup 6.0 Linux 3.14.20 i686
5.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS880M 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.15.1
dimensions: 1024x600 pixels (270x158 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.3

AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor
Core 0: @800 MHz

Added applications with PPM.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(78.72 KiB) Downloaded 1018 times

gowriel

2Tb storage?!

#369 Post by gowriel »

Could this actually be true? 2Tb (2000 Gb) storage?!
I would be very impressed with such a memory card+tahrpup 6 on it! much better than a 16gb flash usb stick! 8)
"SDXC Standard
Massive Storage, Incredible Speed

The SDXC standard, the latest SD memory card standard, dramatically improves consumers’ digital lifestyles by increasing storage capacity from more than 32 GB up to 2 TB. Its exFAT file system handles large volumes of data. The standards for increasing bus interface speeds up to 104 MB per second for UHS-I and up to 312 MB per second for UHS-II, as well as UHS Speed Class, are available for SDXC memory cards and devices. SDXC's extended capacity will provide more portable storage and offer greater speeds required to support new features in consumer electronic devices, mobile devices and industrial devices. It also gives consumers a valuable easy upgrade option, allowing them to add capacity as needed vs. replacing devices and creating more consumer electronic waste. As a product developer, this gives you more options to determine the amount of storage required for each product and create more product options."
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/

mavrothal

#370 Post by mavrothal »

mavrothal wrote:
peebee wrote:WRT Mav's latest initrd.....under k3.4.103..... When I type 0 to boot with no savefolder then the savefolder with id=2 is mounted (choices are 0, 1, 2).
Right!
< snip>
I'll look at it
Fixed.
So now selecting no savefile boots puppy to pupmode 5 as it should.
Please check this initrd that should behave as expected when no savefile/folder is selected. As indicated by peebee, it should still be able to overcome hardware issues that appear during boot but are "fixed" when the Desktop is reached. And can still check the filesystem when booting with a savefolder and the "fsck" boot option :D

Attached is the init script of the above initrd

(Nice wallpaper Billtoo :lol: )
Attachments
init.gz
(27.1 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

#371 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:Please check this initrd
Hi mavrothal - confirmed (when using k3.4.103) this initrd allows selection of no savefolder (0) and the desired savefolder (1 or 2 etc).

By changing the read at line #1242 of init to include a timeout, I was able to complete a boot using k3.14.20 and attach the /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log file (false .gz) in case anybody is clever enough to see why my usb keyboard does not work - there are lots of FATAL messages to do with usb but I don't understand what they mean.... :cry:

Thanks
peebee
Attachments
bootinit.log.gz
(50.5 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mavrothal

#372 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote:By changing the read at line #1242 of init to include a timeout, I was able to complete a boot using k3.14.20 and attach the /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log file (false .gz) in case anybody is clever enough to see why my usb keyboard does not work - there are lots of FATAL messages to do with usb but I don't understand what they mean.... :cry:
Yes the 10 seconds read timeout allows it to boot at pupmode 5 but does not really solves the dead keyboard issue.

The FATAL errors is not a problem as they are the result of the read-only file system that the kernel modules are on.
What you really looking for is the 'insmod' entries. From what I see there are 2 modules inserted related to USB and/or mouse:
/lib/modules/3.14.20/kernel/drivers/usb/class/usblp.ko and
/lib/modules/3.14.20/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.ko
There is also a bounce of wifi/network related modules.
Would be interested to see the output with the working kernel to see what modules it may be loading.
If your 3.4.x kernel/init is not of the "huge" flavor then just add

Code: Select all

set -x ; exec 1>/tmp/bootinit.log 2>&1
after the init script comment lines
comment out lines (~600)

clear #clear the screen.
[ ! "$LOGLEVEL" ] && exec 1>/tmp/bootinit.log 2>&1 #remove o/p from console. v2.22 loglevel added.
and post the new bootinit.log to see what is going on with the working kernel

Bit Latter: Is this a wireless keyboard right?
I see in the log that you need the kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800usb.ko module but it has 7 dependencies. The current init script can load up to 4 dependencies, so this module is not loaded.
Try the attached init script that loads up to 8 dependencies to see if it behaves better.
BTW I also added the 10 seconds timeout for you.
Attachments
init.zip
(27.67 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

peebee

#373 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:If your 3.4.x kernel/init is not of the "huge" flavor then just add

set -x ; exec 1>/tmp/bootinit.log 2>&1
after the init script comment lines
comment out lines (~600)

clear #clear the screen.
[ ! "$LOGLEVEL" ] && exec 1>/tmp/bootinit.log 2>&1 #remove o/p from console. v2.22 loglevel added.
and post the new bootinit.log to see what is going on with the working kernel

Try the attached init script that loads up to 8 dependencies to see if it behaves better.
BTW I also added the 10 seconds timeout for you.
Tried the "8 dependencies" initrd with k3.14.20 - no change I'm afraid.

As well as the usb keyboard, I have a usb laser printer and a usb wifi adaptor plugged in - these account for usblp and rt2800usb I think.

Attached are the bootinit.log and the dmesg on successful boot of k3.4.103 with "0" selected savefolder. The k3.4.103 is a "huge kernel"

I think we had already established that none of my usb keyboards require any module loading - all the drivers are built-in to the kernel? But the drivers have changed between 3.4.103 and 3.14.20....

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
bootinit.log.gz
(62.87 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
dmesg.gz
(48.08 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

don570

#374 Post by don570 »

I was able to make a version of audacity for tahrpup using alien2puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 377#817377

I tested it on tahrpup 5.8.3. It's very stable and the most up todate version.

mavrothal

#375 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote: Tried the "8 dependencies" initrd with k3.14.20 - no change I'm afraid.
<snip>
I think we had already established that none of my usb keyboards require any module loading
Actually, I'm happy that is usless :shock:
Because all this mounting the kernel read-only, moving around the savefile selection point and changing pupmode after is selected, looked way too hacky to me for mainsteam. So unless some (more than one) find some real use to it I would rather keep it out of mainstream puppies.

Now regarding kernel differences, you may want to see what 3.4.103 is using for your hardware, how this is changed in 3.14 (assuming a similar configuration) and file a bug with kernel.org. 3.14 is long term and still supported so bugs against it are valid.

gyro

usb keyboard problem during "init" script

#376 Post by gyro »

mavrothal wrote:Actually, I'm happy that is usless
Sorry, no it's not, it works for my case.
It found and loaded the missing module, and my Logitech keyboard worked to type in the number for the savefolder.

So, there are 2 problems here, peebee's and mine.

Mine is definitely due to a kernel module not being available, during 'init'. Every time any hacked 'init' has loaded the required module, before the

read NUMSAVE
line, the keyboard has worked. With any 'init' that did not do this, the keyboard did not work.

peebee's problem has nothing to do with modules, since the modules required for his keyboards are built-in to the kernel.

gyro

yerc1

kernel 3.17.7 and toshiba chromebook touchpad

#377 Post by yerc1 »

I reported before that touchpad did not work with kernel 3.17.4 from the downloads page.

With the newer kernel 3.17.7, touchpad navigation is now possible (it's actually very responsive), but right-click option seems unavailable.
I tried the touchpad wizard but it gave me: "Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?"

I have not applied any update at the moment as I'm very close to my data limit.

I don't know whether the output of dmesg command is relevant to my question below, but I attached it just in case.

Is there anything I can try to enable right-click for the touchpad?
Attachments
dmesg_tahr.tar.gz
dmesg output
(10.73 KiB) Downloaded 267 times

mavrothal

Re: usb keyboard problem during "init" script

#378 Post by mavrothal »

gyro wrote:
mavrothal wrote:Actually, I'm happy that is usless
Sorry, no it's not, it works for my case.
It found and loaded the missing module, and my Logitech keyboard worked to type in the number for the savefolder.
OK one for it.
Still might be a better idea to builtin more keyborad modules instead of all this. There are not many left out anyway.
You should not need anything else during console boot to require other modules (unless you want a bluetooth keyboard of course...)

Latter:On a second thought... :roll: could you test the attached init script.
It basically removes the symlinks to kernel/firmware after savefile selection avoiding the mess when init is trying to copy up its modules or save modules during upgrade,
Attachments
init.gz
(27.21 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

gyro

Re: usb keyboard problem during "init" script

#379 Post by gyro »

mavrothal wrote:Still might be a better idea to builtin more keyborad modules instead of all this.
I agree, my next project in this area is to try to compile a kernel that contains the module I require, as a test.
I wonder if all the 'hid' modules could be builtin?
mavrothal wrote:could you test the attached init script.
But I will try this one anyway.

Edit: Yes it works for me.
My situation requires simply that the missing module is loaded before 'init' tries to read from the keyboard.
Having established that, my intention is to try to provide the missing module by making it builtin.

gyro

gyro

usb keyboard problem during "init" script

#380 Post by gyro »

I finally managed to compile a new kernel 3.14.20, with the module "hid-logitech-dj" built-in.
Using my normal tahrpup "initrd.gz" containing a non-hacked 'init' script, my Logitech keyboard worked to enter the savefolder number.

When users have problems with keyboards not working in 'init', due to missing kernel modules, recompiling the kernel to add the missing built-in keyboard module(s), might be a way to go.

For my keyboard that means changing the following line in the kernel "DOTconfig" file

CONFIG_HID_LOGITECH_DJ=m
to

CONFIG_HID_LOGITECH_DJ=y
gyro