Putting Unleashed under a Revisioning System

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Dougal

#41 Post by Dougal »

Nathan F wrote: Could be the difference between a dozen or so developers actually working on the builds vs. 2-3 people. Seriously, that's my cynical thinking at present.
Ahem, my cynical thinking would be that you'd be lucky to find a dozen people do do any work even without any VCS complications...

You still out fraternizing with Rubber Duck?
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

cb88

#42 Post by cb88 »

I know at least one personally... person that uses VCS that is xD

VSC doesn't have to be a complication... I think I suggested scripts to handle somple tasks like updateing to the latest revision... and resyncing with upstream

so similar to how T2 does ./scripts/update && ./scripts/sync which would upload your source

I guess in theory you could even change VCSs without much notice by modifying the scripts
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Pizzasgood

#43 Post by Pizzasgood »

B: Modify the createpuppy and createpets scripts to exclude any directories named '.svn'. In the process, the copying from the packages/ directory into rootfs-complete/ could be replaced with rsync to speed it up a little if you've already built a puppy there, since only changed files would be copied.
Brain fart: Unleashed copies package directories one at a time, so the speed saving rsync idea doesn't work without modifying things. Basically, the copy commands would have to be replaced with a line to append the directory names to one of two variables (one for normal packages and one for the _DEV ones), then after the loop is done it could do the copying with rsync in one whack.

For now, I'm not going to bother with that. I'm trying not to do any feature-adding beyond what it takes to get everything working, to minimize the differences between pre-SVN Unleashed and post-SVN Unleashed. Once it's all running we can go back and make improvements like that.

I am still using rsync to do the copying, just without the magic delta stuff. Reasoning: I can simply replace cp -a <SOURCE> <DEST> with rsync -a --exclude=".svn" <SOURCE>/ <DEST> to automatically ignore the svn stuff (this is what led me to the idea of using rsync in the first place).

In addition to the createpuppy* scripts, I also had to modify the createpets, makeiso, burn2dvd2iso, and pickmodules.sh scripts.

I'm now in the process of building Puppy with it so I can make sure I didn't miss anything. My goal for the night is to have the SVN-Unleashed finished, which means working out any remaining bugs and then adding a script to convert from an Unleashed tree expanded from .pet packages into the SVN-Unleashed tree, to avoid having to checkout the entire thing.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

mysticmarks

#44 Post by mysticmarks »

This looks like it will be great. Let me know if you need a test run. Im getting ready to build from unleashed, and would like to see what happens.

Pizzasgood

#45 Post by Pizzasgood »

Humbug. Looks like I have everything working. I just ran the script to take a normal Unleashed tree and turn it into an SVN-compatible one, and it worked flawlessly as far as I can see.

Except, you don't actually get to save any bandwidth doing that. Seems like you should, but I measured it and it still took about 450 MB or so from the SVN server.

Well, on the plus side, at least this means we don't have to waste time explaining to new people how to use that method to save bandwidth. I know it would have caused people headaches. Just doing a normal checkout is much simpler.

I think that I have all the build scripts finished and working. The test Puppy I made booted fine, anyways, and I couldn't find any hidden .svn directories in it. So if you want to test it, go ahead.

Just be aware that I'm hosting this test server from a dorm room, so it would be nice if no more than two people do a full trunk checkout each day. The network admins here consider using more than a gigabyte per day to be abusive, so that's one trunk checkout every 12 hours.

So if you check it out, just post here the time that you start, so that people can hopefully stagger themselves a little.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Pizzasgood

#46 Post by Pizzasgood »

This is a heads up: I will be shutting down this test server on Friday. I fly out of state on Saturday morning to start my Christmas vacation, and don't want to leave it running while I'm gone. I can start it back up, if needed, when I return (January 4th).

Pizzasgood

#47 Post by Pizzasgood »

Server should be up and running again.

WhoDo

#48 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:Server should be up and running again.
Jeremy,

I can't think of a better reason for this than the drama Jack (tronkel) and I had trying to build from Unleashed 4.1.2 while you were away. Glad to see you are back on the case.

Did we resolve the hosting issue? Puppylinux.org is still well under its limits AFAIK, just in case you want to use that.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Pizzasgood

#49 Post by Pizzasgood »

No, not quite. I got it mostly worked out around the beginning of December, but that was when things started getting crazy due to the approaching Finals and Christmas Break. So I didn't get a chance to check in with Caneri and see what was shaking on his end. I lost track of his progress about the time he was recovering from the attack on the new servers.

I sent him a PM earlier tonight to see what the status is and to let him know I was ready to start testing if he was. So hopefully I'll know whether that will work tomorrow.