Installing Frugal Wary and Retro Precise - severe issues!

Booting, installing, newbie
rcrsn51

#41 Post by rcrsn51 »

yorkiesnorkie wrote:That was my suggestion as well earlier this weekend. I was puzzled why it didn't work.
From the depths of my failing memory, I seem to recall something about BIOS's where the last logical partition had to be DOS. Maybe that's the problem here.
What about the mapping? I noticed this in one of the menu.lst entries:

Code: Select all

map (hd1) (hd0)
  map (hd0) (hd1)
  map --hook
  root (hd0,0) , 
VV5 has a device called sdb which he stated is a "floppy drive". I'm assuming that it's an external USB drive. So Grub is seeing it as hd1.

rcrsn51

#42 Post by rcrsn51 »

VictorVictor5 wrote:is it possible to have a full install Puppy and a frugal install on the same partition, i.e., Wary Full on sda6, and Retro Frugal on sda6?
Yes it is. It's up to you.

yorkiesnorkie

#43 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

[quote="rcrsn51"][quote="yorkiesnorkie"]I found this reference with regard to error 15:

[quote]The error gives you a message “Error 15: File not found!
[url]http://www.busygamemaster.com[/url]

rcrsn51

#44 Post by rcrsn51 »

When you run Grub4Dos Config, it gets information about partitions from Linux. So it's aware of your extended partition and logical volumes.

But when you boot your machine, GRUB gets its initial information from the BIOS. So if the BIOS doesn't report the presence of (hd0,5) to GRUB, there are going to be problems.

On Page 2, L18L installed Puppy into a logical partition with Grub4Dos, so it is definitely possible.

yorkiesnorkie

#45 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

When you run Grub4Dos Config, it gets information about partitions from Linux. So it's aware of your extended partition and logical volumes.

But when you boot your machine, GRUB gets its initial information from the BIOS. So if the BIOS doesn't report the presence of (hd0,5) to GRUB, there are going to be problems.

On Page 2, L18L installed Puppy into a logical partition with Grub4Dos, so it is definitely possible.
Here's a thought, maybe sda6 should be something the bios will recognize, instead of ext2, fat32, or ntfs?
[url]http://www.busygamemaster.com[/url]

VictorVictor5

#46 Post by VictorVictor5 »

rcrsn51,

If I have a full install of Wary and a Frugal of Retro, how would I go about setting that up in terms of the problems I've been having as discussed in this thread?

yorkiesnorkie and I were trying that before I posted, and that's what brought this thread on.

Thanks!
VV5

VictorVictor5

#47 Post by VictorVictor5 »

Another question/addendum to my last post - I guess if we went with a full install and added a frugal one after that, would it make more sense to have Retro as the full now and Wary as the frugal, or vice versa?

I didn't know if Retro had any more capabilities than Wary since it's the latest release.

Also, if someone can let me know how to do a full and frugal install at the same time given my configuration as discussed that would be great!

Thanks!
VV5

bigpup

#48 Post by bigpup »

What is the full install and what is the frugal install is not an issue. Choice is yours.
They are both just ways to install.

Basic difference.

Frugal -can be anyplace, not dependent on format. It is only files in a folder/directory. Can have multiple frugal installs on one partition.

Full install -must be placed in a Linux formatted partition. Only one full install per partition.

Do the full install first. Good chance anything on partition will be deleted during the install process.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

VictorVictor5

#49 Post by VictorVictor5 »

bigpup,

Thanks for the shout back - besides frugal being a smaller install, is there any advantage of just frugally installing versus having a full install with a frugal inserted in the full install?

Also, going back to your Grub4Dos post - do I have to install it in each version of Puppy I put on my machine?

Thanks!
VV5

bigpup

#50 Post by bigpup »

The biggest advantage of a frugal install is it can be placed anywhere and is just files taking up space.
The size of it's save file does need to be adjusted as you install programs.
You get option to make save file at first shutdown.
This file is the only space used for storage by the frugal install. Anything you do, while running Puppy, uses only the save file for data storage.

The biggest advantage of a full install is it takes over the entire partition and all the free space in partition is always available.
Also, by my experience, seems a little less prone to file corruption. It does not need to use a layered file system.
Also, going back to your Grub4Dos post - do I have to install it in each version of Puppy I put on my machine?
The first time you run Grub4dos config, that installs the boot loader and makes the boot menu, with entries for what is on computer, at that time.
Yes. It will have to be run, each time, to update the bootloader. Need to make a boot menu entry for the new install.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rcrsn51

#51 Post by rcrsn51 »

bigpup wrote:Yes. It will have to be run, each time, to update the bootloader. Need to make a boot menu entry for the new install.
@VV5:
In your case, you already know the correct menu.lst entries for both a full and frugal install. So you don't need to run Grub4Dos again. If you do, it will just generate the entries that don't work for you.