Fatdog64-700 beta2 [Closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
smokey01

#41 Post by smokey01 »

I've just noticed links in Notecase no longer work in fd700b2.

It doesn't seem to recognise defaultbrowser. I think that's what Notecase is calling.

Illutorium

#42 Post by Illutorium »

Opus (VP9 WebM Standard) doesn't be found on VLC 2.1.5:
writes at a "undf"

UPDATE (29/11/14):

In GIT Version from a long ago: Doesn't haves a be problem... (Opus codec works around...)
Well I will be recommend a GIT Version instead...
Last edited by Illutorium on Sat 29 Nov 2014, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

JustGreg

#43 Post by JustGreg »

I am a long time user (since 1996) of Quicken for my checking account. I normally use it with Wine. I would like to change to a Linux application.

I have tried several, but, did not like them. I did find Money Manager EX version 1.1.0, but, I have not been able to get it to run under fatdog64. I get a missing library error. The missing library is libwx_gtk2u_unofficial_aui-3.0.so.0 Additionally, is there a way to check on the dependencies of an application before running it? Thanks for any help on this,

If I like it and get it to run, then I will make a package for other people's use.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

kirk

#44 Post by kirk »

The missing library is libwx_gtk2u_unofficial_aui-3.0.so.0 Additionally, is there a way to check on the dependencies of an application before running it?
Try installing wxwidgets from the repo, To find the libraries that a binary is linked to, open a terminal and type ldd followed by the name of the binary.
EDIT ops sound via HDMI doesn't work on this version. OK for now. The headphone jack works fine.
Try "Fatdog64 set default sound card" from the control panel. For just VLC click Audio and then select the device

JustGreg

#45 Post by JustGreg »

Thanks, Kirk for the information.

Follow up: The latest version of Money Manager Ex that is compatible with the libraries is 0.9.9.9 version. The later versions of mmex require a newer vesion (3.0) of the widgets library and a lot of symlinks for names. It is on with the 0.9.9.0 version.
Last edited by JustGreg on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

L18L

Internationalization of Fatdog64-700b2

#46 Post by L18L »

Just to let everyone know:
Internationalization of Fatdog has continued

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1&start=48

now using
Fatdog64-700b2 and
fd64-nls_700b2.sfs
Attachments
web_server_for_doc.png
(32.76 KiB) Downloaded 922 times

irishrm

#47 Post by irishrm »

Did a USB install.

I still struggle with wpa_gui in fact its disabled in this install.

Apart from that everything is working well. If this is the future of fatdog then the future is looking very bright.

However there is a cost for progress:

This is the first fatdog I failed to install on my ntfs formatted harddrive.
Installing to harddrive is that bit faster.
I know I could reformat part of the harddrive but I'll stick with the USB install.

There is a little pet which I use in all my puppies called "no blank screen". This is used to turn off the screensaver.
With fatdog700 I have to go into settings each time I want to turn off the screensaver, just a little bit more hassle.

Thanks guys.
irishrm.

kirk

#48 Post by kirk »

There is a little pet which I use in all my puppies called "no blank screen". This is used to turn off the screensaver.
I'm not sure why that doesn't work sometimes. Download the attached file and put it in /root/Startup. Make sure you click on it to unzip it. When you boot any scripts in /root/Startup are ran.
Attachments
Screen-saver-off.gz
(73 Bytes) Downloaded 378 times

JustGreg

#49 Post by JustGreg »

Money Manager Ex seems to work well and has a user interface similar to Quicken. One can import the Quicken data into it, but, there is an "oh by the way". The reconciled data is not imported. One has to do a manual setup using the last reconcile report for the account and start a new.

Money Manager Ex does require wxwidgers package. What is the best way to ensure the dependencies are addressed when installing the package? Just add them directly to the package or is way to tell the installer also get wxwidgets package?

Thanks in advance for any information. Yes, the sandbox is great fun for trying out different ideas.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

irishrm

#50 Post by irishrm »

kirk:

Thanks for the screensaver off script.

Put it in root/startup, works fine.

I presume if I want to enable the screensaver for a session I can do so in the settings.

Thanks again.
irishrm.

TJK

#51 Post by TJK »

Any suggestions on how to get python3 working with FD64 700b2?

IE What''s the best way to install it with-on FD?

irishrm

#52 Post by irishrm »

Instead of reactivating the screensaver I put my laptop to sleep by closing the lid.

Reopened the lid and everything seemed to work OK until I went to shutdown.

I tried shutdown and reboot but nothing worked.

I opened processes and found two sleep scripts still working. Tried to kill them but couldn't. Ended up doing a hard shutdown.

After rebooting I was able to shutdown normally.

Don't know if this makes any sense to you guys, it may be just my experience.

Irishrm.

kirk

#53 Post by kirk »

Money Manager Ex does require wxwidgers package. What is the best way to ensure the dependencies are addressed when installing the package? Just add them directly to the package or is way to tell the installer also get wxwidgets package?
If it's a slack package installed with gslapt, and the package was made with a install/slack-required file that lists the dependencies, then gslapt will try to install the dependencies. The packages in the repo are made this way. Inside the install folder of the package you may see these files:

doinst.sh --- This is an optional script that is run after install.
slack-desc --- This file just has a description of the package.
slack-required --- This file list the dependencies.

Take a look at an existing package to see how to format those files. We do use standard slackware packaging, so you can also google that and check the FAQs on making a package. Please note that if you install a package by right-clicking on it then dependencies are not resolved.
I presume if I want to enable the screensaver for a session I can do so in the settings.
Yes, but every time you boot with that script in /root/Startup it will be disabled. All the script does is use the xset tool. You could also open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

xset s 600 +dpms
to turn on the screen saver with a 600 second delay.

xset s off -dpms
to disable the screen saver.
Any suggestions on how to get python3 working with FD64 700b2?

You would have to compile it from source and any add-on modules you might need. We don't have it in the package manager. Having python 2x and python 3x coexisting is something I haven't looked into yet.
Reopened the lid and everything seemed to work OK until I went to shutdown.
Unfortunately suspend problems are common and it's different from one kernel to the next. The -dpms of the "xset s off -dpms" command disables power management for the monitor, so that could cause a problem.
Usually suspend/resume problems are due to a bug in one of the kernel modules that's in use. If you can identify which kernel module is causing the problem and it can be removed, then you can edit /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh. and rmmod it before suspend and modprobe it after resume. You'd have to look at /var/log/messages and/or dmesg to see if you can spot the problem.
For final we'll get the latest Linux-3.17.x kernel, so things may change.

jangelelcangry

#54 Post by jangelelcangry »

Hi there. Congrats on the beta 2. it's VERY responsive :D.
but i have a problem installing fglrx:

Supported adapter detected.
Check if system has the tools required for installation.
Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.
Unloading radeon module...
rmmod: ERROR: Module radeon is in use
Unloading drm module...
rmmod: ERROR: Module drm is in use by: ttm drm_kms_helper radeon
[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
[Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
make -C /lib/modules/3.17.1/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-3.17.1'
  CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
  CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c: In function 'KCL_ACPI_Slot_No_Hotplug':
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:845:21: error: 'struct acpi_device_flags' has no member named 'no_hotplug'
          tdev->flags.no_hotplug = true;
                     ^
scripts/Makefile.build:257: recipe for target '/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o] Error 1
Makefile:1373: recipe for target '_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-3.17.1'
Makefile:88: recipe for target 'kmod_build' failed
make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
build failed with return value 2
[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.
Any additional information please let me know.
Once again good work

kirk

#55 Post by kirk »

but i have a problem installing fglrx:
ATI is slow at supporting new kernels and new xorg-servers. What you posted shows that Fatdog's kernel (Linux-3.17.1) is not supported yet. Can't tell if Fatdog's xorg-server-1-16.1 is supported, you'll want to look at the release notes for the driver you down loaded to see what kernels and xorg-servers are supported. For the kernel version not being supported you can usually find patches to make it work. The Arch linux guys are pretty good at posting that. If the xorg-server is not supported then you really are out of luck for now. Do keep in mind that the kernel in beta2 is not the one that will be in final.

jangelelcangry

#56 Post by jangelelcangry »

Thanks. BTW. is there a way to downgrade the kernel to at least 3.16?

peebee

chromium38 on FD64

#57 Post by peebee »

The 64-bit Chromium-38 with PepperFlash sfs seems to work OK on FD64-700 - reports adequate sandboxing and works with BBC iPlayer in the UK.

There are various messages if run in terminal but they don't seem to be show stoppers.....

See:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 964#805964
Attachments
scr1.png
(122.73 KiB) Downloaded 598 times
scr2.png
(195.12 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

gcmartin

#58 Post by gcmartin »

Or steps to upgrade to 3.18, soon to be out. Listing of kernel versions from Linux development

kirk

#59 Post by kirk »

Thanks. BTW. is there a way to downgrade the kernel to at least 3.16?
If you're booting with grub it's pretty easy. Download the vmlinuz-x.x.x and kernel-modules.sfs-x.x.x version that you want from here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/kernels/700/

* Rename the kernel-modules.sfs-x.x.x to just kernel-modules.sfs and then click on it. A window will popup. In that window navigate to lib/modules. Then copy the folder you find there that will be named with the kernel version to /lib/modules/.

* Rename vmlinuz-x.x.x to just vmlinuz and replace your current kernel with it.

Then reboot.

If you want to be able to boot the original kernel too, you can skip the part about renaming vmlinuz-x.x.x and make a new grub entry that's the same as your current grub entry except the kernel name matches the vmlinuz-x.x.x you downloaded.

If you only want to use the kernel you downloaded and you don't want the kernel modules in your savefile/savefolder, you can put the kernel-modules.sfs in the initrd. Just click on the initrd, after a few seconds the initrd will be extracted. Then replace the kernel-modules.sfs with the one you downloaded. Then click repack-initrd.

The 64-bit Chromium-38 with PepperFlash sfs seems to work OK on FD64-700
There's also a google-chrome package in the repo.

Or steps to upgrade to 3.18, soon to be out.
I've attached the Fatdog64 kernel build instructions. You'll also want to get the current kernel config from /proc/config.gz
Attachments
fatdog64-kernel-build.txt.gz
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 350 times

irishrm

#60 Post by irishrm »

Kirk:

Thanks for the information.

Looking forward to the final.

Irishrm.