Is there a FAST mozilla based browser for old PC ?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
totolanio

#41 Post by totolanio »

Of course, do you prefer having a body with 2 arms but can become sick/ill OR do you prefer a body immune to every sickness but with no arms ? :D

I tried to install the swiftfox pet but so many addons are disabled :'(

darry1966

#42 Post by darry1966 »

[quote="Colonel Panic"][quote="darry1966"]Hi Mikeb, and Colonel

Yeah found the same in Icepup 3.01. I am using 4.12 retro with my Dell from Hell and have used Icecat 3.6 with that and didn't have same issues.

mikeb

#43 Post by mikeb »

Yeah found the same in Icepup 3.01. I am using 4.12 retro with my Dell from Hell and have used Icecat 3.6 with that and didn't have same issues.
did you change the buggy gtk2 in 4.12?..I had to to prevent firefox/flash crashes.

mike

darry1966

#44 Post by darry1966 »

mikeb wrote:
did you change the buggy gtk2 in 4.12?..I had to to prevent firefox/flash crashes.

mike
For my AnitaOS Laptops based on 4.12 yes:
This GTK and Pango

http://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos ... t/download

http://sourceforge.net/projects/anitaos ... t/download

But I also updated Pixman and other stuff as well. For my 4.12Retro install no. I'm using Firefox 17ESR and didn't deem it necessary as I have no intention of firefox updating as 17 does the job and is quite stable.

mikeb

#45 Post by mikeb »

Ah ok...I actually meant the fixed build of gtk2...same version just without the crashes...also gets searchmonkey working as it happens....as apposed to a newer version.

This fixed firefox 3.5/flash 10.0.15 instability.

Just checking chicken :)

mike

darry1966

#46 Post by darry1966 »

mikeb wrote:Ah ok...I actually meant the fixed build of gtk2...same version just without the crashes...also gets searchmonkey working as it happens....as apposed to a newer version.

This fixed firefox 3.5/flash 10.0.15 instability.

Just checking chicken :)

mike
Cool. I like your idea of this earlier flash. The feature of a copy of what you are watching being in /tmp is very handy. Will try it.

You're right about the text file thing you were talking about as well just goes to show Mozilla badly needs to simplify not bloatify.

I'm not to happy about the latest Seamonkey releases so have been using the fox instead version 2.25 seemed to be the last decent one.

For example was using version 2.30 of Seamonkey it did an update and wiped my profile bookmarks and all. So until these things are sorted it's earlier versions and 17ESR for me.

mikeb

#47 Post by mikeb »

I sort of have a policy of not updating until the beta phase is over.... don't like being an unpaid tester.

Yes but unfortunately the flash 10.0 days are numbered... more sites want later partly to prevent downloading to temp , sometimes for DRM and also to have more annoying advert options. (the video player part has not really changed since circa flash 8-9..the rest is bull squirt) You tube has a significant proportion of 'won't play in that ' now...I just use the mp4 download addon for those...works better anyway and html5 is a joke for those who don't get new machines every birthday :D

Quite happy with seamonkey 2.9.1 for now... got it playing ok on windows and linux and its better with crappy sites at times...and yes it gets nagged as old too... can't please some people SO DON'T TRY TO :D

Onward and upward....

mike

darry1966

#48 Post by darry1966 »

Yeah had enough of the you must upgrade your system every 5 minutes with windows. I felt like a Hamster in a wheel, at least with the Pup I can retain what I have as I choose. I use a FF youtube downloader to handle mp4 download with the tube.

partsman

#49 Post by partsman »

I happen to give Firefox 3.6 a try yesterday !
I had no problems with YouTube or any other website I visited :wink:
I actually liked how fast it was :shock:
Just my 2cents :D
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

mikeb

#50 Post by mikeb »

I happen to give Firefox 3.6 a try yesterday !
yes still my default...just been trying out the 'monkey.

The expression is 'chasing the wind' :)

mike

partsman

#51 Post by partsman »

One thing i have learned in the land of linux is the latest and greatest isn't
always the best :D
If security is an issue i use the latest seamonky but we are only as secure as what we throw out there ! "Use common sense !"
Now I am no expert by any means but old browser, new browser is one really any safer than the other ? :?
I am sure they are to an extent !
But doesn't security really depend on what you do ?
Reputable web sites etc. ?
Like I said I am no expert so I really dont know :?
Some please enlighten me ! :oops:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

darry1966

#52 Post by darry1966 »

Hi Partsman,

You're right the latest and greatest is no guarantee. The best security is you and common sense.

I use Firefox 17ESR which is still more than adequate for my internet needs.

Mike has talked about this issue many times and I totally agree there is a lot of scare mongering that goes on that you have to have the latest and greatest to be protected from *threats*.

Well this will probably start another argument about this issue but I have used older browsers and had no problems its the Windows crowd that have the worries and I'd be worried about more than that on windows.

Now Scottman made 2 very good Browsers the Akita Firefox 17ESR and his older Firedog based on 3.6 Firefox. So anyway there it is the choice is yours and you can read many of Mike's wise thoughts on the matter in these forums.

darry1966

#53 Post by darry1966 »

Its also about your machine and what it can handle and how much ram. Have to say Mike flamin heck these latest Mozilla Monsters know how to use ram sheesh!

mikeb

#54 Post by mikeb »

Well security is definitely another thread bunny...gets nasty :D
In real terms...ie which potential threats are actually in use seems firefox and similar in any release is fine...and I do NOT browse carefully...indeed sometimes I deliberately go on bad sites and click bad email links to see if anything happens...worst I ever get is a javascript induced browser crash.... no real harm done.

Since this is about performance I do indeed wonder what these huge browsers are actually doing...I know about the huge profiles storing crap but what code is in there. Flash is 5 times the size with little increase in functions...whats the rest for...and if you are talking security then more code = more risk and there are more potential things to go wrong.

I also disable the flash plugin..... most of the time its not missed and indeed does make browsing life more pleasant than even using flashblock...its also a 2 second job to enable now so easy to flick it on if needed. Having JAVA in to me for the net is just silly and that IS a security risk with used exploits.

On topic.... best compromise I know at the moment is firefox 3.6.... I like seamonkey 2.9.1...its equivalent to ff 12 if sites are being awkward...but like FF some preference tweaking helps keep it tidy.
Opera was the performance bunny but it strayed into webkit land and that stuff is too close to googles heart...not to mention huge...not that its size seems to affect performance though it may bog down systems affected buy app size...eg loading to ram...squashfs access times.

Chome...well its a privacy thing...and with that you have none...worse than IE's heyday but without the viruses....though you could argue it IS a virus :D Everyones internet friend thats quietly stabbing you in the back.

mike

partsman

#55 Post by partsman »

Well security is definitely another thread bunny...gets nasty
Well i didn't me to get off topic there but needed some clarity ! :wink:
Anyway ! Opera is 12.16 is doing well here ! Firefox 3.6 is also ready with just a click :wink:
@darry1966: Yes indeed ! Firedog is very nice too ! :wink: :D

@darry1966 & mikeb : Thanks for you input :wink:

mikeb

#56 Post by mikeb »

No problemo :)

Seems like 2 browsers are better than one....

mike

darry1966

#57 Post by darry1966 »

partsman wrote:
Well security is definitely another thread bunny...gets nasty
Well i didn't me to get off topic there but needed some clarity ! :wink:
Anyway ! Opera is 12.16 is doing well here ! Firefox 3.6 is also ready with just a click :wink:
@darry1966: Yes indeed ! Firedog is very nice too ! :wink: :D

@darry1966 & mikeb : Thanks for you input :wink:
Anytime Partsman great to hear from you its been awhile,

darry1966

#58 Post by darry1966 »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the way you explain things so concisely and clearly for us non-techies understand.

I can definetlty also attest only having browser crashes when using an old browser as the worst experience caused by bad script on a site.

One thing I have noticed with regards to HTML5 and I'm speaking of sourceforge file uploading, it is not supported in ff3.6 so had to use a newer Seamonkey to achieve this so yeah not to shook on HTML5. Youtube was ok and GMail was basic mode which doesn't worry me. So FF3.6 still can do the job and Icecat version equivalent.

mikeb

#59 Post by mikeb »

HTML5 and I'm speaking of sourceforge file uploading,
ah so a replacement for the buggy flash uploader eh...why the hell not use a standard html 4 form that everyone can use..after all is not sourceforce the domain of dillo users.

Same applies to any site handling money...use generic code .... basic functionality is important NOT gimmics. Fortunately my bank tarted up their site recently but it still uses generic code and all works...just looks nicer and some functions were grouped...ah sanity prevails ....Co op by the way...regardless of any press rumblings from a users point of view they are the best and not staffed by selfish, arrogant bar stewards. :D

Some of the internet banking sites are just plain dumb...security is poor (one forced IE to initialise the account) and I heard of some that use JAVA!...and don't even try running a web standards check on them...

As for source forge and similar, do these site coders have some vested interest in pushing certain browsers? I can understand google doing it...its their business...but the world of open source using corporate bully tactics seems a little sick.

all fun and games.... well perhaps if they show mummy their latest web page creations she will buy them a new machine for their birthday :D

mike

Colonel Panic

#60 Post by Colonel Panic »

I don't have anything to add to what's been said so far, but I do want to say that this has turned into a really good and thought-provoking thread, so thanks to everyone who's taken part.

It's clear that there's a law of diminishing returns with software - where beyond a certain point the extra features no longer compensate for the extra bloat and / or instability.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.