Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
im.saravanan

#461 Post by im.saravanan »

Hi, installed the updated fix packages. Give id and password. But still could not connect. the results are as below
-> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
ERROR
--> Voice line detected. Trying again.
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
ERROR
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
ERROR
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
ERROR

One thing i noticed is , in winXP the modem red LED turns green after sucessful initiation. in puppy that does not happen. I dont understand whatz wrong. Am i missing out something.
Idea cellular sim is inserted in the modem. Which can be used in mobile phone for voice, sms and gprs/edge services.

output concerning USN in dmesg is

PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
USB Serial support registered for generic
usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi8 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 5
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
usbcore: registered new interface driver option
option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems
option 1-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
option 1-1:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
option 1-1:1.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
scsi 8:0:0:0: Direct-Access Micromax MMC Storage 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
usb-storage: device scan complete
sd 8:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk

Caneri

#462 Post by Caneri »

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the long delay.
So far no joy with the new pets and pet2.
I can't find the info you asked for so I'm under the impression the Huawei E182E is not going to work.

I have a suspicion this modem is locked by the isp I'm connecting to as I see the modem mode (and all other options) are grayed out when I run Win7/XPP.

I'll get more info soon.
I'm attaching a file for you in case there is something you can glean from it..ty

Eric
Attachments
Huawei-E182E.tar.gz
(453 Bytes) Downloaded 441 times

rerwin

#463 Post by rerwin »

Caneri,
This log shows only the device as a storage device. The two logs you PMed to me show the modem part as well, and that the modem driver gets loaded. Please create a diagnostic tarball by entering the command, pmodemdiag, to capture everything needed for diagnosis.

im.saravanan,
I notice the error is that the connection appears to be with a voice line instead of a data line. Maybe your problem is like Caneri's in that the data part of your subscription is disabled. I have to rely on others more famiiar with the wireless ISPs, to explain your situation. I know how to make Puppy detect and use the wireless modems, but the details of some ISP connections are beyond me, as I do not have such a modem to experiment with.

To send diagnostic information, please use the pmodemdiag command and send (via PM) or attach here the generated tar.gz file, so I can get the complete picture.

Just an idea: blank out your APN info and change the phone number to *99***1# which should use whatever APN is already stored in your SIM card. Or double-check the APN you use, to be sure upper and lower case are correct, and that you have the full name. You can edit the /etc/wvdial.conf file to uncomment the #Init8 line (remove the #), to get pupdial to list your stored APNs in the connection log.
Richard

im.saravanan

#464 Post by im.saravanan »

Hi Richards, Thanks, but little clarification to give you more info.
Maybe your problem is like Caneri's in that the data part of your subscription is disabled
I would like to clarify that i am connecting to internet with the same device from winXP. So i think data part of subscription is not disabled.
Or double-check the APN you use, to be sure upper and lower case are correct, and that you have the full name
APN IS 'internet' and dial number is *99#. The detailed settings are here. http://www.ideafresh.com/gprs_settings.php

My doubt is even though it says modem initiated, ithink it is not really initiated. In in winXP after initiation the red led turns green. but it doest not happen here in puppy

The other information i shall post soon (ihave to restart in puppy)

im.saravanan

#465 Post by im.saravanan »

Sending results of pmodemdiag. one of interesting info, when run wvdial from rxvt it end with 'modem not responding'. in pupdial 'voice line detection'
Attachments
pmodemdiag-20010109.tar.gz
(30.26 KiB) Downloaded 423 times

im.saravanan

#466 Post by im.saravanan »

Hi, Friends

Is there no way i could connect to net. To overcome this voice line detection problem.

rerwin

#467 Post by rerwin »

im.saravanan,
Sorry to have to take so long to get back to you, but I have had several distractions.

In your data, I see an inconsistancy in the device name you use. In your first posting you showed the modem (in wvdial.conf) as ttyUSB2. In your data, I see you using ttyUSB1. However, with only a few exceptions, the modems normally use ttyUSB0.

Puppy currently assigns ttyUSB0 unless the user sets another number in /etc/modemttyUSBnum. The data shows that value as zero, which is the most likely value. So, the question is "how did the device get changed to ttyUSB1?".

Another strange issue is that the modem initialization script should log some information to /tmp/udevtrace-modem.log, but that info is not there. (The lines would begin with "Script".) My conclusion is that you must have edited wvdial.conf and linked /dev/modem to /dev/ttyUSB1, or had that value left over from a previous run. Next time, please be sure that no modem is shown as detected in either the wizard or pupdial, before rebooting with the modem plugged in. Do that by clicking on "probe" and then "ERASE" in pupdial and exiting out of pupdial. Then reboot so that puppy can detect ttyUSB0.

Although I see nothing in google about your modem needing anything other than ttyUSB0, if you need to experiment with "1" or "2", please set that number in file /etc/modemttyUSBnum, "probe-ERASE" then reboot, to try another value. But ttyUSB0 is your best bet.

About when to run pmodemdiag: please run it after you have tried dialing, but before exiting pupdial. That way I will be able to see your connection log.
Richard

rerwin

#468 Post by rerwin »

Caneri,
Got your PMed pmodemdiag files. I think you need to do one more thing. I see your modem as a storage device, but no indication that its mode got switched to "modem". There is a rule to do that, but it is commented out because there are several possible rules for the storage part of the device. (They all have the storage ID of 12d1:1446, but their modem parts get different IDs. Yours uses 12d1:14ac, from what I see in google.

To get your modem switched, Edit file
/etc/udev/rules.d/51-usb_modeswitch-option-0x12d1-0x1446.rules.
There is an entry:

Code: Select all

########################################################
# Huawei E270+  (HSPA+ modem)
# Huawei E1762
# Huawei E1820

#SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1446", ATTRS{idVendor}=="12d1", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/sbin/pusb_modeswitch.sh -v 0x%s{idVendor} -p 0x%s{idProduct} -V 0x12d1 -P 0x14ac -M '55534243123456780000000000000011060000000000000000000000000000'"
Remove the initial "#" from "#SUBSYSTEM==". It is line 19. Save it, probe-ERASE and reboot with the device plugged in.

I know having to edit rules files is a "weak link" in puppy's modem rules. I hope to step up to that issue eventually.
Richard

im.saravanan

#469 Post by im.saravanan »

Hi Richards,
1. I did as per your instructions. started pupdial->probe->erase->closed pupdial->reboot.

2. Now i started pupdial, no modem detected. Then i run the script file with three commands to switch the modem.

3. Now again started pupdial->probe->modem found /dev/ttyUSB1 not ttyUSB0. Dialed to connect to net. voice line detected.

4. executed pmodemdiag before exiting pupdial and sending you the results. Hope this time it has the info you need.

I am using ACER aspire One.D250.Netbook.
Attachments
pmodemdiag-20010112.tar.gz
(36.34 KiB) Downloaded 427 times

Caneri

#470 Post by Caneri »

Well Richard you're a Godsend.
IT WORKS!!! Thank you very much.

I need to repair my regular install but a fresh pupsave is going gangbusters.

I had to set my speeds to 21600000 but it saved and the connect button works.

Again Thanks a bunch, as I had a slow (dial-up speed uploads) connection and I hate using Windows to do the .ca/.asia admin!
Now all I need is to get more bandwidth on this Huawei E182 from my ISP :-)
Eric

EDIT: Later this day it seems to be broken...grrrr.....I'll read some more to try and fix it. I think I have enough info now..ty
I had the correct settings then it suddenly stopped (on clean boots and all pets installed) Even though it says it's connected I can't go anywhere..much like some of the posts above.

Caneri

#471 Post by Caneri »

Hi Richard,
Well it seems my Huawei e182 is somewhat intermittent.
Sometimes it boots up and works (USB0/ppp0) and other times it shows up as SHSF0...very odd (then I do the erase procedure/reboot etc) .

I must have the correct pets installed as it works sometimes on clean pupsave as well as my old dirty usb puppy installation with 4.3.1.

All this happens without further edits of files or installations of pets...grrr.

And the hunt continues..ty
Eric

To add...the modem is plugged in at boot..FYI

rerwin

#472 Post by rerwin »

im.saravanan,
Thanks for your diag file. It appears that the mode switch is not being done by Puppy. I have found that I mistyped the new udev rules I added, including yours! Thank you for getting me to focus on that bug.

Please download the replacement "modem_fix_pack_to_431-3", uninstall the old (-2) version, and install "-3". Get it from the same posting as before. When you test it, please avoid entering your 3 commands, as they comfound the evidence I need to debug your situation.

My goal is to have Puppy detect all modems, without users entering extra commands. Please help me work toward that goal. When Puppy behaves as intended, if you still have a problem, we can work from there. After you have gone as far as you can with Puppy's default (ttyUSB0), if you cannot use the modem, then try changing /etc/modemttyUSBnum to "1" (w/o the quotes), probe-erasing, and rebooting. That should let you connect as far as you have already.

Caneri,
Your success is good news! But the intermittency factor concerns me. It sounds like a timing issue, where the initialization script is not waiting long enough for the modem driver to load. Could you send me a pmodemdiag file when you boot up and ttyHSF0 is detected? Before rebooting, be sure you have "probe-erased" the old detected-modem setting. In that case, the modem driver should tell me what happened. Thanks.

Everyone else who installed 3G_pupdial-wireless-13 and is still unsuccessful at having the USB modem detected, please re-download "-13", because I have re-uploaded it with correction of the new rules. Likewise, anyone using the modem_fix_pack_to_431-2 should replace it with "-3" from the same 4.3.1 Bugs-thread posting.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 13 Feb 2010, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

Caneri

#473 Post by Caneri »

Hi Richard,
Oh no...I hate to think I have to break it to fix it after all this...c'est la vie ;-) and ty again...it's been very good info from you.

I'll poke around tomorrow...today is a celebration, as my solar project is now signed, sealed and delivered with a construction date to begin to build the small 10kw solar array in April...hooray!!....thus my lack of focus over the last few weeks/months.

What?...I'm posting from the Huawei e182 now....smiles all 'round gents.

Eric

im.saravanan

#474 Post by im.saravanan »

Hi Richards, HAPPY TO HELP TO MAKE PUPPY THE BEST

unistalled ver.2 and tried to install modem_fix_pack_to_431-3. It ends up in error cannot install package. some how it decompressed into modem_fix_pack_to_431-3 folder. in that i saw etc, sbin and lib folders i copied the contents into corresponding folders on my system. and copied pinstall.sh to / and run it "sh pinstall.sh".

Now started pupdial->probe->erase->reboot.

after reboot->pupdial->no modem->probe->modem found ttyUSB1. tried to connect to internet. after modem intialisation send ATZ *99#-> it said." disconnecting at date and time.

so i changed the ttyUSBNUM to 1. run pupdial.

Now it went upto voice line detected. error. same old problem.

NOTE:- THIS TIME I HAD NOT RUN THE THREE COMMANDS THE MODEM WAS SWITCHED DURING BOOTING. :D

rerwin

#475 Post by rerwin »

im.saravanan,
Thanks for trying the update. I am disappointed that the re-install did not go smoothly. There must be some other factor that messed it up, since I can do the uninstall and re-install with no trouble. But I am pleased that your use of the modemttyUSBnum file worked.

I am still concerned that Puppy did not detect ttyUSB0. I would expect it to detect, but that on going to pupdial the test of the modem would fail. That is when one could change modemttyUSBnum to "1" and reboot. But since it doesn't seem to work that way, could you try starting with a new pupsave environment, install the three dotpets, and reboot. As soon as you see that no modem is detected, please run pmodemdiag and send me its file. That should help me as I rework some of the initialization process.

I checked the link you provide above, to verify the APN (and to see what I could see). I find a contradiction.
GPRS Modem Settings

GPRS = When Needed
APN = internet (in small letters)
But:
Connectivity via datacable
. . .
# Go to Control Panel > Select Phone & Modems > Select the Required Modem (e.g. Nokia USB; Samsung Cable etc.) > Go to Properties of that Modem > Select Advance TAB & insert Extra Initialization Command (AT+CGDCONT=1, "IP", "INTERNET").
So, try entering the APN in all upper case. (Pupdial does not convert it.)

I hope it is that easy.
Richard

im.saravanan

#476 Post by im.saravanan »

Hi Richard,

Tried using APN as INTERNET. it was not working-it was not even detecting voice line- was disconnecting prior to that.

I deleted the pupsave file and started afresh. install the 2 dotpets and has problem in the 3rd as i said earlier. so i installed same way as before. the problem was in decompression-gunzip ...........tar.gz -it says decompression OK. ignored garbage or others---something like that. Can you send the file without compressing.

anyway after i installation-reboot-on starting pupdial it said it seems you have a modem at ttyUSB0. when i clicked on ttyUSB0 it said sorry no modem found, at this stage as you said i run pmodemdiag and sending you the file. Hope it helps.
Attachments
pmodemdiag-20010115.tar.gz
(21.58 KiB) Downloaded 414 times

rerwin

#477 Post by rerwin »

im.saravanan,
Just to be clear about it, by "install" I mean for you to simply single-left-click on each of the three file icons in ROX, then clicking OK in the two popup boxes for each. I cannot imagine what else you might be doing than that.

Please post the exact text of any error messages, because I am clueless. Thanks.
Richard

im.saravanan

#478 Post by im.saravanan »

Hi richards,

Let me explain.

when i single left click on modem_fix_pack_to_431.3.pet.gz it decompress to modem_fix_pack_to_431.3.pet. Again when i single click on it a popup ask confirmation to install the package
when clicked ok. it return error message "Error,package modem_fix_pack_to_431.3.pet failed to install.

I again decompressed the original compressed file via terminal with commmand "gunzip modem_fix_pack_to_431.3.pet.gz" It says gunzip:modem_fix_pack_to_431.3.pet.gz decompress OK, trailing garbage ignored.
The compressed gz pet file was decompressed to modem_fix_pack_to_431.3.pet. when i single clicked to install, it returns the same error as above.

But the other two dotpet files modemprobe_erase-fix_to_431-1.pet and pup_event_backend_modeprobe_fix_to_43x-2.pet got installed smoothly without any errors.

Caneri

#479 Post by Caneri »

Hi Richard,

I no longer have the Huawei e182 but have switched to a Sierra USB 306.

Sorry to leave your work unfinished with the Huawei e182 but the Huawei was causing all kinds of problems with Windows 7 although it worked quite well with Pup 4.3.1.

FYI... the Sierra works well with W7. Very good software UI.
@W7 users...avoid the Huawei e182....bad UI and software to boot, with no support for Dlink routers.

OK..so now the hunt for the Sierra USB306 solutions begins.
TY,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

electricroo

A little help needed Verizon USB720 modem

#480 Post by electricroo »

Hi;
Got this old Sony Vaio PCG-C1VP laptop.
So far Puppy is the only small distro that I can get to work.
This vaio has a Transmetta Crusoe processor with 175mb ram
and a 1024x480 screen.
I installed the 3G_pupdial-wireless-13.pet package, but am stuck.
The pup dialer screen is corrupted, see the attached screen shot.
Attachments
screen.jpg
pup dialer screen shot
(64 KiB) Downloaded 466 times