Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
zigbert

#481 Post by zigbert »

Happy new year!
RC is REALLY good news on the Lenovo Yoga 530

- Touchpad works.
- Screen brightness can not be set from the function-buttons on the keyboard, but the redshift gui works wonderful, and gives a preferable result.
- Wifi works, but the module had to be loaded manually (in net-setup.sh). Maybe it is just a naming issue. net-setup.sh listed 8821ce as available module while the naming showed rtl8821ce after installed.
- cpu-temp window is not popping up (as in earlier iso) anymore, and is probably correct, since amd hasn't got everything into the kernel yet.
- I reported earlier that hdmi didn't work. I now does!
- Touchscreen works. Great to see xvkbd included. It might be out of your scope, but have you considered pTheme to get easy switching between mouse/touch layout? I might give issues with radky's JwmDesk, and RC-status is probably to late for this anyway. Forget it...

Thanks a lot!

6.9.8 includes pBackup which I have pointed out over the last years that is not reliable and a piece of coding crap. The author apologize for the inconvenience ;-)

recobayu

#482 Post by recobayu »

Thank you 666philb for this new bionicpup,
I use it now. my problem is there are no sound in my default speaker here. But i can hear it using my headphone.
how to solve this? I use acer aspire 4830
thank you
Attachments
report-sound-card.txt.gz
fake gz. rename it
(6.88 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

ITSMERSH

#483 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi.

The 7.9.7 .iso was at 402MB.
The 7.9.8 .iso is at 344MB.

Since Libre Office and GIMP is out, why is it still that big in MB size?

666philb

#484 Post by 666philb »

Terry H wrote: Just one query. I copy the save2flash.desktop to /usr/share/applications to be able include it in my top panel. I normally then change code to not display on desktop. Problem is it is no longer in rc.sysinit and I am unable to find the code that controls adding the icon on the desktiop. Could you please advise where the code now exists.
hi Terry H,

not sure , have a look through the history of rc.sysinit here for clues https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... rc.sysinit

or just ask on woofce by creating a new issue .
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#485 Post by 666philb »

Hesse James wrote:Hello Phil
1.) Bionic64 cannot recognize a Sony eBook for data transfer via USB automatically (pmount doesn't see it too). Manual mounting to generate mount point and 'mount /dev/sdb /mnt/sdb' solved it. Different to 7.9.7 the drive-icon is still missing. Access after manual mounting via /mnt/sdb is then possible.
Some SD-cards are also affected. I had to mount one in the exactly same way as above. Automatic recognition didn't work.

2.) Android connection is requested correctly by bionic64 if a phone (Motorola G3) is plugged in. MTP activated on phone side. A window opens and shows some directories. If you click on of the directories then this just opened window vanishs. Reopening of the window brings no improvement.

3.) Puppy Package Manager seeks only ubuntu bionic64 universe, main and multivers repThank you again for your massive input of time to bring Puppy forward !

Despite 1 of January here are some (minor) glitches I found on short notice.
ositories. Configuring PPM brings up the possibility of new ubuntu repositories but no puppy noarch, tahr64 or xenial64 (as it is with 797). Updating the database generates the know repositories from 797 with noarch and so but the new ubuntu repositories are no longer there.

4.) Language packs (esp. german): the offered 20130608 leads to a vanishing desktop menu and right-click does no longer work. Newer ones from 2015 and 2017 alter only the number of shown menu-items. It seems to me that the german language packs cannot be used seriously. I investigated one Italian pack which performed much better..
hi Hesse James,

1. did usb icons show on the desktop in the last release?

2. android connection is working for me, have you tried restarting the process

3. The PPM is auto updated at boot using scottmans package /root/Startup/PPMupdatedatabase. editing to the following should fix it (will add a fix in quickpet)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec pkg ru
4. Well you know the solution there .... make a new langpack for your language and i'll add to the repo :)

cheers
Last edited by 666philb on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 23:05, edited 2 times in total.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

Re: Bionicpup64 7.9.8 CE RC

#486 Post by 666philb »

Billtoo wrote: Also tried 7.9.8 on my lenovo desktop with nvidia card, couldn't get
proprietary drivers to work, default kernel, also tried the nvidia pet
in quickpet, that didn't work either.

Thanks for new version.
hi Billtoo,

just tried with iso,devx & kernel src downloaded from nluug and the nvidia driver built for me here. what driver version do you need?

666philb

#487 Post by 666philb »

zigbert wrote:Happy new year!
pTheme to get easy switching between mouse/touch layout? I might give issues with radky's JwmDesk, and RC-status is probably to late for this anyway. Forget it...

Thanks a lot!

6.9.8 includes pBackup which I have pointed out over the last years that is not reliable and a piece of coding crap. The author apologize for the inconvenience ;-)
hi zigbert,

i'm glad it's working now! that driver sfs that i made you before did have the correct drivers in but i didn't read the small print that they couldn't be installed over the inbuilt kernel driver. so this kernel is patched, but the driver should be included in newer kernels soon

i don't want both ptheme & jwmdesk as gets to complicated for users.. there is a shiny touch gtk theme ... but i guess we should have both a numix gt2 & gtk3 touch theme (note that various apps are gtk3 in bionic). i have no touch screen so don't know what's needed apart from bigger scroll bars.

ha ha, i had seen you say that about pbackup but thought you were joking!!
i have been trying to clean the menus up so glad i can now officially remove it :)

cheers

666philb

#488 Post by 666philb »

recobayu wrote:Thank you 666philb for this new bionicpup,
I use it now. my problem is there are no sound in my default speaker here. But i can hear it using my headphone.
how to solve this? I use acer aspire 4830
thank you
hi recobayu,

have you tried the multiple soundcard wizard? either menu>>setup or right click on the volume icon

666philb

#489 Post by 666philb »

ITSMERSH wrote:Hi.

The 7.9.7 .iso was at 402MB.
The 7.9.8 .iso is at 344MB.

Since Libre Office and GIMP is out, why is it still that big in MB size?
hi ITSMERSH,

first off 342mb isn't big for a full fledged 64bit swiss army knife style operating system ;)
second compressed size doesn't reflect the exact amount MBs removed. an uncompressed 7.9.7 iso is 1432mb

i had to switch back to ubuntus ffmpeg & mpv as there were compatibility issues with various packages in the PPM and also the previous iso had various added kernel drivers that i mistakenly stripped which caused them not to work, so they are now in un-stripped

added
ffmpeg = 40mb (after subtracting puppy compiled version)
kernel modules = 10mb ish
abiword = 26mb
gnumeric = 11mb
goffice = 2.9mb
inkscapelite = 2.5mb
other bits missing libs etc = approx 15mb
mtpaint = 2mb
total = 110 ish

removed..
gimp 111mb
libreoffice 250mb ish (note this is super stripped!!... a libreoffice sfs is 600+mb uncompressed)
total 360mb ish

250 ish difference

well that's my rough working out, actual uncompressed iso sizes ...
7.9.7 = 1432
7.9.8 = 1170
262mb difference

so 262mb compresses down to about 40mb

p.s ... i may be wrong

Billtoo

Re: Bionicpup64 7.9.8 CE RC

#490 Post by Billtoo »

666philb wrote:
Billtoo wrote: Also tried 7.9.8 on my lenovo desktop with nvidia card, couldn't get
proprietary drivers to work, default kernel, also tried the nvidia pet
in quickpet, that didn't work either.

Thanks for new version.
hi Billtoo,

just tried with iso,devx & kernel src downloaded from nluug and the nvidia driver built for me here. what driver version do you need?
The nvidia run file needed --no-drm added to it,
Working now.
Thanks

ITSMERSH

#491 Post by ITSMERSH »

i don't want both ptheme & jwmdesk as gets to complicated for users.
Agreed.

It is also too complicated for hobbyist in development (like myself) whom like to modify stuff temporarily. In a puppy with ptheme included (can't recall the version atm) I wasn't able to modify the JWM's menu as the /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc was replaced each time after doing a fixmenus.

I suspect this is done by ptheme...

That's pretty much annoying and heavily tooooooooo complicated!

Thanks for the explanation about the .iso's size!

zigbert

#492 Post by zigbert »

ITSMERSH wrote:It is also too complicated for hobbyist in development (like myself) whom like to modify stuff temporarily. In a puppy with ptheme included (can't recall the version atm) I wasn't able to modify the JWM's menu as the /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc was replaced each time after doing a fixmenus.

I suspect this is done by ptheme...

That's pretty much annoying and heavily tooooooooo complicated!
pTheme is made to simplify - not to complicate...

It would be nice to know what system you were running when meeting your issues. I am sure it's fixable ;-)

ITSMERSH

#493 Post by ITSMERSH »

Probably it was Artful Puppy 17.11, though I can't say for sure. But I think this was one of the reasons why I used Smithy's Music2Go Artful to build my Studio2Go, since it came with Openbox WM installed as the default Window Manager (a very old version btw).

Also I doubt I could recall this or examine, since I had already removed some Puppies from my HD and USB drives.

But I'm absolutely sure about Artful Puppy 17.11 came with ptheme.

When booting, I had tried to replace the /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc with a modified version through some code executed at boot (modified init script for that). The replacement for /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc never had taken place.

Even overwriting /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc manually after X desktop appeared didn't work, as it was again replaced by the original /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc after executing a fixmenus (probably also when changing a theme?).

Sorry for not being very helpful on the issue...

zigbert

#494 Post by zigbert »

Not that it matters to me, but it seems that 2 batteries is detected.

Redshiftgui is not working anymore for me. Do anyone has a clue about where I should dig. It worked yesterday.
Attachments
test.png
(62.21 KiB) Downloaded 464 times

gyro

#495 Post by gyro »

Hi,

It's not a real problem, but has anyone else noticed that DISTRO_SPECS looks a bit strange?

gyro

ITSMERSH

#496 Post by ITSMERSH »

Yes.

Already since 7.9.6.

Code: Select all

#One or more words that identify this distribution:
DISTRO_NAME='bionicpup64'
#version number of this distribution:
DISTRO_VERSION=7.9.6
#The distro whose binary packages were used to build this distribution:
DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT='ubuntu'
#Prefix for some filenames: exs: bionicpup64save.2fs, bionicpup64-7.9.5.sfs
DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX='bionicpup64'
#The version of the distro whose binary packages were used to build this distro:
DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION='bionic'
#read by /usr/bin/xwin to bypass Xorg Wizard at first boot:
DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='yes'
DISTRO_KERNEL_PET='Huge_Kernel'
DISTRO_DB_SUBNAME='bionic64'
DISTRO_PUPPYSFS='puppy_bionicpup64_8.sfs'
DISTRO_PUPPYSFS='puppy_bionicpup64_8.sfs'
DISTRO_ZDRVSFS='zdrv_bionicpup64_8.sfs'
DISTRO_ZDRVSFS='zdrv_bionicpup64_8.sfs'
DISTRO_FDRVSFS='fdrv_bionicpup64_8.sfs'
DISTRO_FDRVSFS='fdrv_bionicpup64_8.sfs'
DISTRO_ADRVSFS='adrv_bionicpup64_8.sfs'
DISTRO_ADRVSFS='adrv_bionicpup64_8.sfs'
DISTRO_YDRVSFS='ydrv_bionicpup64_8.sfs'
DISTRO_YDRVSFS='ydrv_bionicpup64_8.sfs'
DISTRO_PUPPYDATE='Mar 2018'
DISTRO_PUPPYDATE='Mar 2018'
DISTRO_ARCHDIR='x86_64-linux-gnu'
DISTRO_TARGETARCH='x86_64'
BUILD_FROM_WOOF="No woof-CE-git info available"
#Puppy default filenames...
#Note, the 'SFS' files below are what the 'init' script in initrd.gz searches for,
#for the partition, path and actual files loaded, see PUPSFS and ZDRV in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
DISTRO_PUPPYSFS='puppy_bionicpup64_7.9.6.sfs'
DISTRO_ZDRVSFS='zdrv_bionicpup64_7.9.6.sfs'
DISTRO_FDRVSFS='fdrv_bionicpup64_7.9.6.sfs'
DISTRO_ADRVSFS='adrv_bionicpup64_7.9.6.sfs'
DISTRO_YDRVSFS='ydrv_bionicpup64_7.9.6.sfs'
DISTRO_PUPPYDATE='Oct 2018'
#multiarch distros, such as Ubuntu, will have this. ex: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu, so DISTRO_ARCHDIR=i386-linux-gnu

rerwin

#497 Post by rerwin »

zigbert wrote:Redshiftgui is not working anymore for me. Do anyone has a clue about where I should dig. It worked yesterday.
Thanks for mentioning this. I consider myself as being responsible for redshiftgui-0.2.4.

In order to avoid having redshift start automatically if a user does not elect to use it, I made automatic startup contingent on there being a location set, other than 0,0. So, if you don't set up your location, you will not see redshiftgui at boot-up time.

To recover, simply run redshiftgui from the menu again and set and save your location. The simplest way to set the location may be to use your ISP's location, Method "Lookup by IP".

The only documentation of the "non-zero location" control is in the /root/Startup/redshiftgui_tray script:
"# Automatic minimized startup only if a location other than 0:0 specified." I cannot add that info to the compiled redshiftgui executable.

If you still have a problem with redshiftgui, we can work it via PM, if you care to.
Richard

ETP

Bionicpup64 7.9.8 CE RC

#498 Post by ETP »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the above RC.
Another manual frugal install to the 3rd (f2fs) partition on a 16GB USB3 stick. Syslinux 4.04 boot with a new save folder.

Issues:

1. Rshift was not working and a full LDD system scan showed that it had missing libs. Quick fix was to disable it and install fredx181´s rshift-portable-64-v3.tar.gz
which is self contained.

2. pmcputemp seemed to have gone awol so I installed forum member ozsouth's pmcputemp-0.63a.pet
from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 96#1008276

That correctly displayed both temp & CPU core speeds with my Intel hardware.

3. Upgraded Hardinfo again from the included 2012 (0.52-pre) version to the 2017 (0.6 alpha) via ppm. (Temperatures in that agree with pmcputemp)

The following screenshot shows all of the above including the complete list of items so far installed.

Please press F11 to toggle into full-screen then click on link;---

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... WG4l0P8lAi
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

zigbert

#499 Post by zigbert »

rerwin wrote:In order to avoid having redshift start automatically if a user does not elect to use it, I made automatic startup contingent on there being a location set, other than 0,0. So, if you don't set up your location, you will not see redshiftgui at boot-up time.
It is not the gui that is troublesome (sorry for being incorrect). I am not able to adjust the brightness even if disabling auto-adjust... everything worked yesterday - both by setting location and when adjusting manually. Thanks for a great tool.

EDIT:
Second reboot - everything works fine again. Hmmm! there are still strange things happening with my Yoga.

Terry H

#500 Post by Terry H »

I generally use my laptop, but today did a new frugal install to internal SSD on my Desktop computer. HP with AMD FX6100 8GB DDR3 RAM, Wifi connection via Intel 7260 Wifi-AC card. All running very smoothly after initial setup.