Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

#481 Post by rerwin »

electricroo,
What a pupdial mess! That may be related to the odd screen shape or the window management. That is beyond my competence.

Which version of Puppy are you using? This (3G--13) works only on 4.1.2 and 4.2.1. For 4.3.1 there are now 2 dotpets in its Bugs thread. But my guess is that you are using one of the older puppies.
Richard

electricroo

A little help needed Verizon USB720 modem

#482 Post by electricroo »

Oh, I didn't catch that . I'll remove the 3G--13. but I am using 4.3.1. It is odd, none of the other apps are distorted on the screen, but due to that I can't even try to get things dialing. Everything else works great, fast too. I'll have to investigate more. I'm used to Ubuntu, but of all that I have tried, Puppy works best on that old Vaio. Even though it was a pain doing installs. It can not boot from USB, has no CD, so every install required tearing the thing apart and pulling out the hard drive to do the install on another PC!

Aitch

#483 Post by Aitch »

rerwin

#484 Post by rerwin »

Caneri,
Received your PM with the diag file for your successful connection on the Huawei modem. Although puppy could not detect it automatically, your erase (of ttySHSF0) and probing in pupdial found it and made it usable! But why was it not detected originally?

It appears you have a "perfect storm" situation, beginning with your built-in modem. It appears to be part of your "high definition audio" (HDA) board, since it associates with the snd_hda_intel modem driver module. But then the plot thickens. Somehow, the Conexant HSF HDA module gets loaded, outside of puppy's control function, and that seems to force the "detected" modem to ttySHSF0. That is a mystery yet to be unravelled.

The other unusual factor is that we need to use the "new_id" workaround to cause the USB modem's driver (option) to be loaded. That may or may not be completed in time for puppy to see it during initialization. That would allow another modem to be found instead.

The simplest test I can think of is to blacklist the module snd_hda_intel, effectively disabling the built-in modem (which you don't use anyway). That would prevent the loading of the Conexant driver and capture of the "detection". So puppy would either detect the Huawei or nothing at all. If the latter, probing in pupdial should find it.

Now that you no longer have the Huawei modem, I hope this assessment will help anyone else in the same situation. Whoever tries it, please let us know whether it works.

On to your Sierra modem. That does not appear to be supported yet, but there is some info around about making it work. Maybe a driver update and re-compile is needed, or maybe the "new_id" trick (used for the Vodaphone modems) might be usable with the sierra driver. Aah, a new adventure!

Also, I hope you can help me in understanding your built-in modem. Puppy 4.3.1 should have all the pieces needed to support an HDA modem. But I have nothing to test with, myself. In your PM of today, you express willingness to work on that with me. Thank you.

NOTICE to anyone running on 4.3.1: I have updated the modem-fix and "modprobe protect" packages in the 4.3.1 Bugs thread here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 236#388236
It improves the waiting for mode switching and module loading, which take a long time, compared to non-wireless modems. Please tell me of any problems with that ASAP, as I propose the packages for Puppy 4.4 and Barry's projects. Thanks.
Richard

Aitch

#485 Post by Aitch »

Richard

I've recently been pointed to Three's site advertising the Mifi - now being pushed as a MiFi plus iPod bundle

http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband ... Pod_bundle

In reality this is Huawei's E5830 3G Modem + Wifi Router....which has cross OS web based setup - Win, Lin & Mac

You can stick it in your pocket and use either a laptop, ipod, a phone, or a desktop connecting via Wifi

It's also available without the ipod, and without a contract as a PAYG device for £50 less a penny, and will accept existing BB sims

http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/compar ... broadband/

This device may solve the problem of getting mobile internet on 3G, provided they can get hold of a bog standard linux friendly wifi to work with their PC of choice

These devices can be unlocked as to service provider, and have global use, depending on 3G/GSM coverage

I'm saving up to replace my E220 :D

Apparently there are other suppliers google '3G router'

This World GSM map may also help

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

Good Luck

PS Is their release timed just before 4G?!!! :wink:

Aitch :)

zygo

unreliable switching

#486 Post by zygo »

Caneri,

Do you use a remastered 431. Switching in my remastered 431 was often unsuccessful. PANZERKOPF has fixed this. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=240

Caneri

#487 Post by Caneri »

Hi zygo,

I use a standard 4.3.1

@rerwin....success with Sierra USB306...ty.

Lots of info in the pm

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

bjoenn

3G wireless

#488 Post by bjoenn »

hi rerwin!
I'm proudly presenting my huawei e22o - but not in internet... well, I'm writing from Germany, trying to connect Puppy 431_de (full install)with this sim-lock free "ALDI/Medion"-stick using my vodafone prepaid sim-card, which is said to connect via vodafone (hsdpa) websessions. Every bored vodafone hotline "official in charge" told me, nothing will work with linux, nobody with vodafone will support that OS. Hm. If you are bound to vodafone in fact of it's the only chance to have satisfying internet use in many sites here (even some spots in Berlin!!), you don't waist time argueing with them. So I tried to get it working with this tremendous, unique forums members help. I got stuck with some message like: "bad init string". Downloaded and installed your pupdial-wireless12.pet, now got the answer that there is a huawei e220 modem, but no internet-connection was possible. After rereading your post from 19. January 09, there is 6c)
New modems probably require activation in a Windows (TM) environment, because there is currently no way to do that in linux.
As I bouhgt it in February 2010, is that still the state of art?
Thanks for your patience reading my "short story" ;)
Regards, bjoenn

rerwin

#489 Post by rerwin »

bjoenn,
Thanks for posting to this work-in-progress thread. You say you are using puppy 4.3.1 but have also installed 3G_pupdial-wireless 12! That is for older puppy versions and has the same capabilities as are built into 4.3.1. Please do not use either with puppy 4.3.1.

So that I can best diagnose your situation, please use Puppy 4.3.1 and install two dotpet packages provided in the 4.3.1 Bugs forum here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 235#388235

With those installed, boot with the modem plugged in to see if it is detected. Continue as far as you can (Connect > Internet by dialup... >, ... > ... > pupdial). If you get into pupdial, do not exit from it before capturing data. From a console type:
pmodemdiag
and attach the resultant tar.gz file to a posting here. That way I can see what you have.

Be aware that newer modems might not work right away, as linux and puppy have to keep up with hardware changes. My goal is to support all we can, but I rely on users, such as yourself, to help me work through any problems (since I do not have a wireless modem).

That should get us started.
Richard

bjoenn

#490 Post by bjoenn »

rerwin wrote: That should get us started.
Richard
hello Richard and thanks for your help! As I'm to move in these days, it may take a while for me to try out and answer: please be patient with me!
See you later then, regards,
Dierk

windowsuser

getting T-mobile USB 530 stick to work

#491 Post by windowsuser »

Hi, I've been looking through this thread for an answer to my problem, but I am confused. I'm sure there is a simple way if someone could help.

My modem is USB T-mobile model 530, Globetrotter GI4xx
In puppy it identifies it as ZCOption HSUPA modem size 58 MB

When I attempt to connect, it says: "connect script failed"
I think the modem is being seen as a CD ROm. So, it looks like I need to download the usb_modeswitch file along with the pupdial-wireless file.

However, I have read here that says Puppy 4.31 already has the downloads incorporated. So, how do I proceed to use modeswitch.
Any help appreciated. I am a complete noob at this so don't even know how to invoke edit in linux.
I will change my avatar if I get Linux to work and it is better than windows

rerwin

#492 Post by rerwin »

windowsuser,
Welcome, and thank you for posting here. Regarding how to use modeswitch -- you don't have to, because I built puppy's modem support to do that for you. So, we just need to figure out why your modem is not detected.

The best way to start is to install the latest modem support packages that get added to puppy 4.3.1. Once you have puppy 4.3.1 installed, download and install the two packages attached to my posting here:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 235#388235
You download them into puppy (or somewhere else and transfer them into a puppy session) and click on each to install them. Then reboot with the modem plugged in.

If another modem got detected before you install the packages, "erase' is by getting into PupDial (connect > internet by dialup... > no. In pupdial click the "probe" button, then the "ERASE" button, click Okay and X out of the window, then exit from pupdial and reboot.

If the modem still is not detected or does not work, when you have gone as far as you can, at that point enter pmodemdiag in a console window to generate a diagnostic file that you can attach to a PM to me. That way I can see the whole picture.
Richard

windowsuser

#493 Post by windowsuser »

Hi Richard,
Thank you for your offer to help me get this wireless USB stick to work.
I have attached the diagnostic files you mention in a PM
I did everything you said, but got the same result.
It does appear that my internal modem is being recognised and not the USB. I keep getting ttySHSF0 as the modem when I enter pupdial.
In PGPRS setup I see ttySO.

From reading the previous posts I wonder if I need to somehow block my internal modem. Not sure how or if to do that.
Thanks for the clear instructions.

dejan555

#494 Post by dejan555 »

@ rerwin
Any more progress on zte mf 626? Sorry for not following development.
I tried it again on dpup (2.6.30.5 kernel) and it failed again.

When I plug it in or boot with it has one product id
When I do usb_modeswitch it switches to modem mode.
When I try to make connection, either with pupdial or wvdial or pgprs connect it switches to third id! and stops at
NO CARRIER then it breaks connection.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

smokey01

#495 Post by smokey01 »

windowsuser, try removing the internal modem and see if you have more luck. It worked for me.

windowsuser

#496 Post by windowsuser »

How do you remove the internal modem? Step by step pleaseee, and once removed is it gone forever or could I get it back whenever I need to?

rerwin

#497 Post by rerwin »

windowsuser,
Before you tear into your hardware setup, please try the method already built into pupdial. I described that in my previous post:
If another modem got detected before you install the packages, "erase' it by getting into PupDial (connect > internet by dialup... > no. In pupdial click the "probe" button, then the "ERASE" button, click Okay and X out of the window, then exit from pupdial and reboot.
That should take care of the HSF modem. If not, there must be more that I have to fix.

Thanks for the diag file, which I will get to later today.
Richard

windowsuser

#498 Post by windowsuser »

I had tried the erase according to your instructions, but that didn't fix it. On boot up it still came back with the same. I won't mess with my hardware setup, as you suggest.

rerwin

#499 Post by rerwin »

windowsuser,
I have looked at the diag info. Good news and bad news. The bad is that I am not confident that I have succeeded in getting the modems (such as yours) working that use the "hso" driver, so will need help from you and the others who responded to your other post to get that working.

The good part is that the "rule" that should cause the mode switching is present, but doesn't appear to trigger the switching program. I will check into that. If that fails, there is another way to make the switch, but first things first. When we do get the switching fixed, we will need to deal with the driver issue.

I am not sure about this, but it may be that someone has worked out how to run it through the GPRS option. My intent has been to examine the GPRS code for clues as to making the dialup option do the job, too. My main problem, other than time, has been my inability to connect with someone willing to help me work it through, primarily by testing changes I might try, and also advising me as appropriate.

So, now I will work up a solution to the mode switching problem and get back to you.
Richard

windowsuser

#500 Post by windowsuser »

I will be happy to work with you to get this sorted. There must be a lot of others with this type of modem. I would like to see the modem detected and functioning as I am keen to use Puppy for my internet. Until we get the USB stick functioning I won't make any changes to my current installation.