tahrpup 6.0, 6.0.2 & 6.0.5 CE

Please post any bugs you have found
Mike Walsh

#481 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Phil.

Well, now; we're nearly there. I've tried your commands that you've given me. The new version of TV9 will now run (after going through the Wine .config update, and then accepting the EULA), and it all comes up on screen as it should do. BUT: it insists there's no connection! ('Connection not ready yet...')

I've restarted X. I've re-booted. I've unloaded the .sfs of TV9, re-booted, and re-loaded. Doesn't make any difference... Still says 'No connection yet...'

I wonder if I should try unloading TV9, loading TV10, trying the terminal commands again, and seeing what happens. D'you think it would work?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Tried that; didn't work. Didn't think it would; like you said, the multiple 'wine(s)' seem to be confusing it....

Anyway, I'm gonna call it a day on this. I've re-installed the original one from Quickpet (9.0.24147), and completely given up on the idea. It's not gonna work.....even though it works perfectly in Ubuntu. It's even the same version!

I'm not normally one to give up on things like this. However, it's not fair to waste your time on something that's clearly not going to work. Thanks very much for all your help so far. :D

I'm gonna do a bit more research. There's obviously ways to transfer files between machines over a distance; I just haven't discovered yet exactly WHAT will do that job in Puppy.....

Cheers, anyway.

Regards,

Mike. :)

greengeek

#482 Post by greengeek »

Mike Walsh wrote:I'm gonna do a bit more research. There's obviously ways to transfer files between machines over a distance; I just haven't discovered yet exactly WHAT will do that job in Puppy.....)
Are you just wanting to transfer files between two people sitting at different PCs/locations or are you wanting to have the remote control thingy so one person can do it all from one end?

scabz

#483 Post by scabz »

@Mike Walsh

there is already stuff included in tahrpup to do what you want, you could use ftp or ssh but with ssh you will need sshd. i compiled openssh in tahrpup if you want to go that route.

you could even use sshd and sshfs and mount folders or drive over the net. there are lots of ways to do what you want.

-edit

example of how i use sshd. i have my main pc at home with all my music pics videos and such with sshd running.

then on my netbook with only 4gigs of storage so cant hold much on it. when i leave my house i leave my main pc on with sshd running.
then when at friends or wheatever i can mount my main pc's hd on my netbook and can listen all my music view my pics and such on my netbook with sshfs, so i dont even need space on my netbook i can copy delete or do what i want as if my netbook was my home PC.

Mike Walsh

#484 Post by Mike Walsh »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

@greengeek:-

Yep; I wanted the 'remote control thingy' (beautifully put!), so I can do it all from one end. My mate, who I wanted to show my system to, is interested, but he's a 'tech dinosaur' (his words...). He's only just got the hang of texting after 5 years patient tuition! He's in his late sixties, and from a generation that never grew up with, or had an interest in, this kind of thing...

I got round it by opening up TeamViewer, noting down the ID & password (leaving it running when I left), then entering the info when I got to his end. Worked fine; (he's got Ubuntu on his machine, which I installed to take the place of a very sick Vista install)...the only thing it did was freeze the machine when I shut it down from his end! It served the purpose, though...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@scabz:-

You've hit the nail on the head..! That's exactly what I want to do; be able to remotely mount the main HDD on my big Compaq desktop, and read/write to & from it, just as though it was part of whatever machine I'm running (which may be MY laptop, or could be my mate's desktop). I would also like to be able to read/write from/to my Seagate external USB HDD.....which is a 'permanent' part of the system, anyway; it's always plugged in, and is 'fixed' to the top of the tower with Blutak, and is part of the filesystem in any case.

I've looked at options for doing this in Ubuntu (which, until I discovered Tahrpup last November, WAS my main system. It's getting less & less use now, I'm afraid... :lol: ) I'm not a newb to 'puters in general, though I AM to Linux; about a year, now.

It all seems very complex in Ubuntu, and just a wee bit out of my comfort zone. I like Ubuntu - don't get me wrong - but they tend to do everything in a very time-honoured, traditional way, with a shed-load of command-line work. I don't mind the terminal; I'm steadily getting the hang of using it.....but at MY pace. I don't like getting thrown in at the deep end until I understand what it is I'm doing! That's just ONE of the things I like about Puppy; everything seems just a little bit easier to get your head round!

So; any advice on remote file-sharing and mounting would be very much appreciated. BTW, thanks for your re-package of the recent Chrome; works a treat. Much appreciated.

One question. Samba-TNG. It's part of Tahrpup (at least, the YASSM client is). I use rcrsn51's Samba-TNG .pet, and it works very well on the home LAN. Can this be used over the 'net.....or is it restricted to a local network? And if it CAN be used over the net, what extra security precautions would need to be implemented?

Any chance you could let me have the sshd, so I could have a look at it? And maybe a quick run-down on how it works?

Regards,

Mike. :)

scabz

#485 Post by scabz »

One question. Samba-TNG. It's part of Tahrpup (at least, the YASSM client is). I use rcrsn51's Samba-TNG .pet, and it works very well on the home LAN. Can this be used over the 'net.....or is it restricted to a local network? And if it CAN be used over the net, what extra security precautions would need to be implemented?
ya just need to set up your firewall and forward your ports correctly
Any chance you could let me have the sshd, so I could have a look at it? And maybe a quick run-down on how it works?
there is lots of info on the net and forum on how to use ssh sshd and sshfs, i don't want to jack this thread. if you need help it would be best to start you own thread.You must be friends with Terminal to use ssh

here is my pets
openssh-6.7p1-i686.pet "compiled in tahrpup 6.0.2"
sshfs_2.5-1ubuntu1_i386.pet "repackaged deb from the trusty tahr repo"
xauth_1.0.7-1ubuntu1_i386.pet "repackaged deb from the trusty tahr repo"

Mike Walsh

#486 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ scabz:-

Thanks very much for that.

I'll do a bit of research round the forums, and if necessary, start one or two new threads in the 'Regulars' forum. Feel free to chime in and 'share' if you so wish; your input would be very welcome!

Cheers.

Regards,

Mike. :D

bigpup

#487 Post by bigpup »

Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup Updates

If you are using the new PPM2 V1.9.6
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97623

If you run the Tahrpup Updates it will change PPM back to V1.9.5

To get back to using PPM V1.9.6, you will have to uninstall the PPM V1.9.6 package, by using PPM uninstall, and then re- install it.

I understand why this is happening, but I wonder if Tahrpup Updates needs to check to make sure it is only replacing with a newer or same version of a program. :idea:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

festus

#488 Post by festus »

bigpup wrote:Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup Updates

To get back to using PPM V1.9.6, you will have to uninstall the PPM V1.9.6 package, by using PPM uninstall, and then re- install it.

I understand why this is happening, but I wonder if Tahrpup Updates needs to check to make sure it is only replacing with a newer or same version of a program. :idea:
This has happened with my system, lxpuptahr-15.02, a couple of times, and I had to do as you have stated; uninstall and then re-install v1.9.6 to get it back.

It would be nice, IMHO, if Tahrpup Update would check to make sure it is only replacing with a newer or same version of a program.

Other than that, lxpuptahr-15.02, is a great distro...
:)
festus

666philb

#489 Post by 666philb »

bigpup wrote:Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup Updates

i think i've fixed this now
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#490 Post by bigpup »

666philb wrote:i think i've fixed this now
Seems to be working OK now for PPM update.
Now V1.9.7
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#491 Post by bigpup »

From Barry K blog:
GetFlash application, see the "Internet" category in the menu, is broken.

This has happened recently, as Adobe has changed the download URL. I have fixed the 'getflash' script and posted it to the Forum:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 149#832149
666philb,

I see you already put this fix in Quickpet->Info-> Tahrpup updates :D
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#492 Post by bigpup »

Reported problem with laptop suspend after doing the Tahrpup Updates.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98040
YaPI(any iso installer)

aleoleilani

No speakers, mic or other devices working, HDMI it's ok

#493 Post by aleoleilani »

I switch from ubuntu to tahrpup 6.0.2, till this point it works just fine, the thing here is that i got no sound and i need to switch regularely from HDMI sound (it works) to speaker and mic services (doesn't work) help will be appreciated, there's this info for reference

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: pcsp [pcsp], device 0: pcspeaker [pcsp]
card 2: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC269VB Analog [ALC269VB Analog]

btw, card number seems to change randomly on alsa sound card tool.
Thank you a lot for bringing this distro to life.

bigpup

#494 Post by bigpup »

Right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar.
Select full window.
See if any of the settings here help you.

Try menu->Setup->Multiple Sound Card Wizard to choose what device to use.
YaPI(any iso installer)

666philb

#495 Post by 666philb »

adding to what bigpup has said ...
after you've selected your card with the multiple soundcard wizard
right click on the menu icon in the taskbar and choose 'config window' and then the 'hardware' tab

where it says hw:0 or hw:1 or hw:2 should match the number of the card you chose in the multiple soundcard wizard, if not change it to match.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

rcrsn51

#496 Post by rcrsn51 »

Realtek rtl8192cu USB WiFi Driver

In older k3.x kernels, this driver has been wonky, but the vendor version worked well. However, the vendor code will not compile in new kernels like Tahrpup.

There is an updated version here that builds correctly in Tahrpup-602-PAE. Based on limited testing, it works OK.

The driver identifies itself as 8192cu. You may need to blacklist the old rtl8192cu.

If you have trouble with drop-outs, create the file /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf with the line

Code: Select all

options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0
Attachments
8192cu_tahrpup_602_PAE-k3.14.20.pet
(206.49 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 17 Jul 2015, 20:14, edited 2 times in total.

aleoleilani

No speakers, mic or other devices working, HDMI it's ok

#497 Post by aleoleilani »

666philb wrote:adding to what bigpup has said ...
after you've selected your card with the multiple soundcard wizard
right click on the menu icon in the taskbar and choose 'config window' and then the 'hardware' tab

where it says hw:0 or hw:1 or hw:2 should match the number of the card you chose in the multiple soundcard wizard, if not change it to match.
Hi there and thanks a lot for helping but i still having this issue, i did as you say and doesn't work. Further indications will be appreciated.

Other distros like macpup, and puppy 526 and 528 work fine the internal audio but doesn't have HDMI. This one do have HDMI channel working but not the netbook speakers.

Best regards!!

sheldonisaac

Re: No speakers, mic or other devices working, HDMI it's ok

#498 Post by sheldonisaac »

aleoleilani wrote: Hi there and thanks a lot for helping but i still having this issue, i did as you say and doesn't work. Further indications will be appreciated.

Other distros like macpup, and puppy 526 and 528 work fine the internal audio but doesn't have HDMI. This one do have HDMI channel working but not the netbook speakers.
I booted 6.02, and internal speakers work on this Dell E6410 laptop.

aplay -l
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 0: 92HD81B1C5 Analog [92HD81B1C5 Analog]
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

aleoleilani

Re: No speakers, mic or other devices working, HDMI it's ok

#499 Post by aleoleilani »

sheldonisaac wrote:
aleoleilani wrote: Hi there and thanks a lot for helping but i still having this issue, i did as you say and doesn't work. Further indications will be appreciated.

I booted 6.02, and internal speakers work on this Dell E6410 laptop.

aplay -l
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 0: 92HD81B1C5 Analog [92HD81B1C5 Analog]
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]

Finally i fixed it, still a little confusing change between channels if you compare it to gnome control center but is good. I did this:

System > Bootmanager > Modules > Blacklist a module, add snd_pcsp

That's it, like magic.

Thanks to everyone, hope it helps someone.

James C

#500 Post by James C »

Apparently found a problem with the installer. Details here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 881#833881