Trouble installing SCIM m17n in Puppy 3.01

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
straypup

Thai keyboard

#501 Post by straypup »

Thanks for the replay. My hours are varied and I don't always get a chance to answer when I want. I didn't use the m17 version but will download and try ASAP. Thanks again.
Woff Woff
(So Long And Thanks For All The Fish)

straypup

Many Thanks

#502 Post by straypup »

Thank you Irihapeti for your excellent tutorials and patience my wife can now communicate in her native Thai. Most problems were caused by my own mistakes. Thanks again.
Woff Woff

Irihapeti

#503 Post by Irihapeti »

straypup:

Thank you for your feedback. I'm pleased to know that the articles are doing the job for which I wrote them.

Irihapeti

prach

Thai language

#504 Post by prach »

I created packages thai language support to dotpet. now i 'm testing it.

1.libthai
2.scim-thai
3.libdatire
4.thaixfonts

this list of packages use in other distro for thai language support (debian, ubuntu , fedora).

Details about libthai you can read below.
http://linux.thai.net/projects/libthai

Irihapeti

Re: Thai language

#505 Post by Irihapeti »

prach wrote:I created packages thai language support to dotpet. now i 'm testing it.

1.libthai
2.scim-thai
3.libdatire
4.thaixfonts

this list of packages use in other distro for thai language support (debian, ubuntu , fedora).

Details about libthai you can read below.
http://linux.thai.net/projects/libthai
That's great. When you feel that the packages are working, we can make a link to them on the WiKi.

Irihapeti

magerlab

#506 Post by magerlab »

i think that we need to start making i18n menu to have entries for every app in different languges by default

look in /usr/share/ aplications

Nathan F

#507 Post by Nathan F »

i think that we need to start making i18n menu to have entries for every app in different languges by default

look in /usr/share/ aplications
First step IMHO is the menu categories, which are set in /usr/share/desktop-directories. Then yes, the menu entries for each app themselves.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

magerlab

#508 Post by magerlab »

there's already a pet for localizing menu !
see MU list of links

Aitch

#509 Post by Aitch »

Post edited/transferred here,

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 918#223918

with apologies for any inconvenience/disturbance to the friendly folks here

Aitch

[Read the thread (or not) to see why that feels better :wink: :lol: You may need to take a thick skin with you :lol: ]
Last edited by Aitch on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

Irihapeti

#510 Post by Irihapeti »

Among the things still to be done is Scim support for non-GTK, non-qt and non-KDE apps. A number of Java apps come in that category, as does urxvt (a utf-8 compatible version of rxvt terminal).

After a certain amount of hair-tearing and running around in circles, I've got Scim working in Java in Ubuntu 8.04. The key to it seemed to be adding the en_NZ.utf8 locale to one of the Scim configuration files.

However, doing the same in Puppy does nothing. I notice that when I try to launch urxvt from a terminal (the ordinary rxvt) I get this message:

Code: Select all

urxvt: the locale is not supported by Xlib, working without locale support.
I haven't yet tried running any Java apps from the terminal.

Can anyone throw any light on this? What needs to be done for Scim to work with these other programs?

Irihapeti

otropogo

#511 Post by otropogo »

magerlab wrote:there's already a pet for localizing menu !
see MU list of links
Is there a FAQ that describes in detail what the term "localizing" means/encompasses, as used in this thread, especially with regard to Chinese character display?

Aitch

#512 Post by Aitch »

@ Irihapeti

just in from Lobster re: wiki review
Great stuff - well needed - have made some edits to the 'how to use wiki' - mainly to simplify

Language section is great - use of thumbnails good
Have added link to my signature

Congrats to all involved - now we need more wiki editors - improver's
on News and manual pages . . .l and . . . and . . .

:)

Lob
Aitch :D

Edit:
I just edited a couple of typos, but I'm not familiar enough with what was there before Lobster's edits, so can you check this, please Irihapeti

Also, is this anything that can be linked to this thread, or can anyone help?

http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/miscella ... hese-pages

Aitch
Last edited by Aitch on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

Irihapeti

#513 Post by Irihapeti »

otropogo:

There's a mini-how-to here, with a focus on Italian: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 742#223742

My understanding (I'm no expert) is that localisation is about having, as far as possible, the entire operating system in a different language.

If you just want Chinese character display, in browsers for example, there's information here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 43&t=26978 - message no. 3

I found that the location suggested for the font only works in Puppy 2.17. For later Puppies, I had to install it in /usr/share/fonts. Just copy (or symlink) the entire folder to this location. You may need to restart the X server or reboot in order to see the new font.

Aitch:
That's gratifying. I'll take a look and see what's been edited.

Irihapeti

Aitch

#514 Post by Aitch »

more wiki review feedback, this from WhoDo [not on the original list, but I added a few]
It all looks great to me! Pass on my congratulations to your "shrinking violet" source. :P

PS. I'm more of a Staffordshire Terrier than a Great Dane in the world of Puppy, but thank you for the promotion! :lol:
he he, my promotion, but worthy IMHO

PS: I hope you are going to add these reviews to the wiki :wink:

Irihapeti

#515 Post by Irihapeti »

Aitch:

I would feel more comfortable if the original posters in question, or you, were to add the replies to the WiKi. All of you have the necessary privileges to do so. :)

I'm not quite sure how to go back and check what was there before Lobster's edits, but basically he has turned it more into an FAQ style of article, while still retaining the content. I'm happy with that. The main thing is to get the message across to otherwise-puzzled users.

Irihapeti
Last edited by Irihapeti on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Aitch

#516 Post by Aitch »

meagain :wink:

Updated multi-language dictionary: PBDict2. with 76 dictionary database by MU for puppy 2/3/4

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7976

read the thread [short] for instructions & update info

Aitch

Edit: oops sorry, Irihapeti cross-posted you unintentionally,

Cool, hopefully they will looksee and if they feel like it, or at a later date, I may add it - it's all good, eh?
edit2: now, you did it to me :lol:

otropogo

#517 Post by otropogo »

Irihapeti wrote:otropogo:

My understanding (I'm no expert) is that localization is about having, as far as possible, the entire operating system in a different language.
Yes, that was my surmise also, after skimming through this thread. But others have raised doubts... Have looked through the Mini-how to and saved the thread for more careful review later, but it seems to confirm our understanding of the term.

Going on this assumption, I concluded that localization is vastly more difficult an undertaking than simply providing html display capability for foreign character sets in a single browser. Although, in the case of Chinese, that is no mean feat either. IIRC, the Chinese character support for Adobe Reader runs some 10 MB or more for traditional and simplified fonts combined.
Irihapeti wrote:If you just want Chinese character display, in browsers for example, there's information here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 43&t=26978 - message no. 3

I found that the location suggested for the font only works in Puppy 2.17. For later Puppies, I had to install it in /usr/share/fonts. Just copy (or symlink) the entire folder to this location. You may need to restart the X server or reboot in order to see the new font.
Thanks for your links, and especially the installation instructions. I had seen this thread before, but hesitated to try the program without more specific direction.

But I've downloaded it now, and will give it a try shortly.

One thing that makes me nervous is the fact that (perhaps coincidentally) Sit's kai-pc.ttf fonts stopped working altogether on my Pup 4.0 system after I installed Bluefish 1.07

Irihapeti

#518 Post by Irihapeti »

otropogo:

I don't know anything about kai-pc.ttf fonts, so I can't comment on that. I do know that I have bluefish installed in Puppy 4.00 with the 2.6.21-17 kernel and the wenquanyi font is still displaying correctly.

You may find that wenquanyi doesn't cover all characters. In that case, Bitstream cyberbit, Arial unicode and the Arphic series may help fill in the gaps. This page http://www.unifont.org/fontguide/ contains links to a number of font downloads.

Irihapeti

otropogo

#519 Post by otropogo »

Thanks again for your help Irihapeti

Will read through the guide and try to add the fonts you mentioned as required

Aitch

#520 Post by Aitch »

latest wiki review from pizzasgood
Nope, never thought of myself as a great dane. Probably the closest to that would be timber wolf, but usually it's more of a mix between wolf, cheetah, and a kung-fu-monkey.

As for multi-lingual-puppy, I actually have nothing to do with that at all other than that I set up Japanese fonts once and I host the Japanese Puppy forum (and I still can't understand most of what goes on there, but I'm going to be working on that this year).

I looked through a couple pages anyways. The main thing that stood out to me is that in the 'background' page it said something happened 'this' summer. That should really say something like 'summer 2008', since in a year the 'this' would be incorrect.

I tried finding an 'edit' link to correct it, but failed. I don't think I have permission to edit those pages. I've never used the new wiki other than registering for an account so maybe I'm just missing something.
After further pm identifying, this has been edited
[Background - a) Smart Common Input Method and the GTK/QT Tool Kits]

more good feedback!

Thanks PG