TahrPup 5.8.4

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
torgo

#521 Post by torgo »

I just created a fresh savefile and loaded that github woof-ce page in Pale Moon - and it displayed normally. Not sure what the difference would be, but the issue didn't happen on my system.

I also found I must be doing something very wrong in making SFS files of various programs. I used Puppy Package Manager to download (only download, not install) Audacity 2.0.5 and all dependencies. I extracted them all and made them into a SFS file. It wouldn't run from the SFS. But when I went back to PPM and installed them rather than download-only, Audacity works fine.

Same thing with Aqualung - putting it and all dependencies into SFS didn't work, but installing it through PPM works fine.

I hadn't run into that in Precise or Lucid before. Any hints from the experts on what I might be doing incorrectly?

666philb

#522 Post by 666philb »

hi torgo,

when make sfs files from ubuntu libs .... you need to move any libs that are in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu to /usr/lib and delete the then empty i386-linux-gnu folder.
same applies to /lib/i386-linux-gnu & move the libs to /lib.
the i386-linux-gnu folders are just symlinks and it confuses sfsload or aufs.

pets don't have this problem, but i still move the libs out.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

ASRI éducation

#523 Post by ASRI éducation »

666philb wrote:hi torgo,

when make sfs files from ubuntu libs .... you need to move any libs that are in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu to /usr/lib and delete the then empty i386-linux-gnu folder.
same applies to /lib/i386-linux-gnu & move the libs to /lib.
the i386-linux-gnu folders are just symlinks and it confuses sfsload or aufs.
PaDS (by RSH) does it automatically.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81511
Regards
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

torgo

#524 Post by torgo »

Thanks for the SFS tip, 666philb. I'll also check out PaDS sometime, ASRI.

On the Pale Moon page display issue - the GitHub page for Woof-CE came up fine on one system using a clean savefile, but it had the bad display on another system where I had a bunch of other stuff already loaded.

It makes me wonder if there might be some kind of conflict that affects the page display.

bohocmasni

#525 Post by bohocmasni »

666philb wrote:
bohocmasni wrote:Something puts a 'drives' icon to my desktop and cannot be disabled in desktop drive icon manager. (if I delete .pup_event/drive_drives, st rekreates it after X restart).

Any idea what script should I remove?
hi bohocmasni
have a look a the scripts in /usr/local/pup_event
I modified /usr/local/pup_event/frontend_startup and it seems working. My desktop is clean now. Thx
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao[/url]

666philb

Re: still doing very well

#526 Post by 666philb »

torgo wrote:
Audacious (audio player) = works great
Audacity v2.0.0 (audio editor) = won't run
Aqualung (audio player, version from Oct 2012) = won't run
Google Chrome v37 = works
Opera 12.16 = works

a few games:
Wesnoth v1.8 (SFS I made for Lucid) = works
Konquest (SFS I made for Lucid) = works
Bit.Trip.Runner (commercial, purchased through Humble Bundle) = won't run
Gratuitous Space Battles (commercial) = works
Little Inferno (commercial) = won't run
Superhex (commercial) = works
Out Of The Park Baseball 14 = works

With Precise, the games Bit.Trip.Runner and Little Inferno will load on nearly any system, but the graphics scroll so slowly on many machines as to make them unplayable. That's what gave me the idea to test them in Tahr 5.8.4.
try right clicking on them and choose run in terminal. it should show you what's missing (or use the new LDD in right click). then in the PPM type what's missing into the find box (just the name) and install it with all dependencies. bit trip runner requires libopenal
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

watchdog

#527 Post by watchdog »

Today I gained another puppy: all working in my frugal install of tahr 5.8.4 nopae on a HP laptop (lightencrypted savefile). There could be some bugs about clipboard copying and pasting stuff but I can't reproduce it. It's not important: after clearing the clipboard it worked. Thanks.

James C

#528 Post by James C »

Tahr 5.8.4 live on another Nvidia box....non-HDMI All working on initial boot...even sound.

Code: Select all

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: tahrpup, version 5.8.4

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       dbe 

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
  Loaded modules: dbe dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.397 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.886 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.881 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.885 FPS

-Computer-
Processor		: 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory		: 4148MB (233MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: tahrpup - 5.8.4
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Mon 13 Oct 2014 03:02:33 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter		: PC-Speaker - pcsp

peebee

#529 Post by peebee »

666philb wrote:
peebee wrote:Hi 666philb
I do notice however that openssl version is reporting an old OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014 whereas the up to date version is 1.0.1i...........
updating to the 1.0.1.i version causes lots of problems in tahrpup .... however the 1.0.1f versionin trusty tahr is patched against heartbleed i believe
I have 1.0.1i from Debian made into a pet which has been incorporated into LxPupTahr14.09 (downloaded 518 times) with no reports of problems....

Let me know by pm if you'd like the pet.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#530 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
666philb wrote:
peebee wrote:Hi 666philb
I do notice however that openssl version is reporting an old OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014 whereas the up to date version is 1.0.1i...........
updating to the 1.0.1.i version causes lots of problems in tahrpup .... however the 1.0.1f versionin trusty tahr is patched against heartbleed i believe
I have 1.0.1i from Debian made into a pet which has been incorporated into LxPupTahr14.09 (downloaded 518 times) with no reports of problems....

Let me know by pm if you'd like the pet.

Cheers
peebee
Running LxPupTahr 14.09. Anything in particular I should try or look for? Basically it seems completely ok here in moderate normal daily use. I'm kind of alternating between it and X-Slacko 2.2n and Carolina with battleshooters 3.17 kernel so it's not fulltime use but it still gets exercised fairly often.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

01micko

#531 Post by 01micko »

Ok, got to the bottom of the fhsm bug in tahr with kernel-kit

sys/mmap.h is not in the "standard" (there is no effing standards these days :shock: ) path, so either set the path with a flag or make a symlink, or, maybe I can detect if you are running debian/ubuntu based pup and set the flag automagically. This is for future reference anyway, we'll wait and see where jamesbond goes with his fhsm development.

Just FYI, it resides in /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/sys/mman.h (whereas aufs-util is looking in /usr/include/sys/mman.h).

Anyway, you might be interested in the petbuilds https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/petbuilds. I like the rox one, gets the latest source, patches and makes pets with no intervention, which is how a build system should work 8) . Fully tweakable too, just hack away. Slowly building up the inventory. The modded new2dir and dir2pet seem to work ok in tahr-584. More after some more testing.

By the way, the font wizard conflicts with font manager and should be removed.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#532 Post by James C »

Upgrade from 5.3 rc to 5.4 with k-3.15.4....... no problems at all.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: tahrpup, version 5.8.4

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       dbe 

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
  Loaded modules: dbe dri2 extmod glx kbd mouse

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
375 frames in 5.0 seconds = 74.948 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.144 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.144 FPS
376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.142 FPS

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory		: 2059MB (374MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: tahrpup - 5.8.4
Date/Time		: Mon 13 Oct 2014 11:47:10 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution		: 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: ICH4 - Intel ICH5
Audio Adapter		: PC-Speaker - pcsp

-Version-
Kernel		: Linux 3.15.4 (i686)
Version		: #1 SMP Mon Jul 7 16:46:57 BST 2014
C Library		: GNU C Library version 2.19 (stable)
Distribution		: tahrpup - 5.8.4
-Current Session-
Computer Name		: puppypc21049
Home Directory		: /root
Desktop Environment		: Unknown (Window Manager: JWM)
-Misc-
Uptime		: 20 minutes
Load Average		: 1.29, 0.77, 0.47
Attachments
Upgraded to 5.8.4.jpg
(122.73 KiB) Downloaded 1205 times

davids45

MTP package for Tahr?

#533 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
Having a couple of Android devices (phone & tablet), I find it useful to download files to and from these and a computer.

Slacko generally works with the MTP-0.9 go-mtpfs .pet - sometimes need several runs to get a link rather than a red box ('error occurred').

But with either Android, I have been not able to get Tahrpup-5.8.4 to work with the .pet, ("no device" or "error occurred" red boxes) nor with two repository packages (Jmtpfs and mtpfs = both gives messages along the lines they cannot read a /.mtpfs-data directory as well as no device detected).

Has anyone been able to use an Android with a Tahr Pup, and if so, could a simple step-guide be given for the package used?

Other than this, Tahr Pup-5.8.4 is running very well on my desktops.

Thanks,

01micko

Re: MTP package for Tahr?

#534 Post by 01micko »

davids45 wrote:G'day,
Having a couple of Android devices (phone & tablet), I find it useful to download files to and from these and a computer.

Slacko generally works with the MTP-0.9 go-mtpfs .pet - sometimes need several runs to get a link rather than a red box ('error occurred').

But with either Android, I have been not able to get Tahrpup-5.8.4 to work with the .pet, ("no device" or "error occurred" red boxes) nor with two repository packages (Jmtpfs and mtpfs = both gives messages along the lines they cannot read a /.mtpfs-data directory as well as no device detected).

Has anyone been able to use an Android with a Tahr Pup, and if so, could a simple step-guide be given for the package used?

Other than this, Tahr Pup-5.8.4 is running very well on my desktops.

Thanks,
Hi David,

I decided to test this.

Samsung Galaxy S4 mini - Android-4.3 tested working
Nexus 7 2012 - Android-4.4.4 tested working
FWIW, my old samsung Galaxy W - cyanogenmod Android-4.4.3 was working well but I had to unlock the screen.

On some phones with 4.4 you may have to unlock the screen before plugging. I believe it's a security feature to protect from offline attack.

I'll attach the latest pet and status icon which has a new feature. If you are not connected to a network you are offered to use the phone's internet connection through USB0. I don't know how successful it will be but it is easy enough to use.

Have fun.

NB: go-mtpfs is required; see here and here.
Attachments
mtp_detect-0.15-noarch.pet
the main program - REQUIRES go-mtpfs
(12.77 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
mtpstatus-0.3-i486.pet
optional
(4.08 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

linux28

#535 Post by linux28 »

666philb wrote:
linux28 wrote:TahrPup 5.8.4
sound Not normal
palemoon flase no sound
vlc Sound is intermittent
hi linux28,

did the keyboard fail after restart on 5.8.3 or only after you tried those sound drivers i posted?

i had a similar thing with flash not working, and it was because i had set the soundcard using the tray and not using multiple soundcard wizard first. run the wizard and make note of the card number and then check that it matches in retrovol settings/config

after sound is set properly .... in vlc prefernces >>audio choose
alsa sound output>>> then choose default audio device probably
restart graphical server
Later can't use the keyboard

Keyboard can not be used and the sound has nothing to do, is to restart the X server, the keyboard can not be used up.
Z87 motherboard.

linux28

#536 Post by linux28 »

TahrPup 5.8.4
sound Not normal

TahrPup 5.8.3+realtek-hda-drivers-3.14.11.pet
Sound normal

sszindian

Gmail-Phone plugin

#537 Post by sszindian »

Upgrade to 5.8.3 with the new 5.8.4

All went well without problems and so far all the previous programs work without issue!

The only issue I can find (and this was in 5.8.3 as well) is that the google plugin (downloaded in Gmail) for the Gmail Phone does not work! Tried both the 32 and 64 bit plugins and neither work in both pale moon and firefox browsers.

Probably not a big deal for most users but for me it is as Gmail-Phone is my ONLY long-distance phone!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

watchdog

Re: Gmail-Phone plugin

#538 Post by watchdog »

sszindian wrote: The only issue I can find (and this was in 5.8.3 as well) is that the google plugin (downloaded in Gmail) for the Gmail Phone does not work! Tried both the 32 and 64 bit plugins and neither work in both pale moon and firefox browsers.
>>>---Indian------>
My 32 bit talkplugin is working in tahr 5.8.4: ever activate the plugin in firefox before trying. I installed first an old plugin with video accelerator and the latest:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 821#788821

linux28

#539 Post by linux28 »

Advnaser

Browser

#540 Post by Advnaser »

Hi

Great puplet my brother. But IMO Seamonkey is better than Pale Moon. Scrolling is not that smooth in Pale Moon.