Quirky April 7.0 - 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.4.1

Please post any bugs you have found
sdsds

#571 Post by sdsds »

A quick install report:
Quirky 7.0.4.1 onto a hd partition of a Nehemiah-based system went perfectly. Thanks!
Attachments
capture22037.png
(119.96 KiB) Downloaded 368 times

zygo

#572 Post by zygo »

Barry,

Would you, kindly, consider adding some of Geany's official plugins http://plugins.geany.org/ as standard in April or as pets.

Pohelper usefull for translators. And Spellcheck. Also:

Addons
Geanyextrasel
Geanyinsertnum
Geanylua
Geanymacro
Pairtaghighlighter
Shiftcolumn
Devhelp

Z

ozcjp

#573 Post by ozcjp »

Bindee wrote:
BarryK wrote:The "Puppy Forum" is actually awash with forks and derivatives of Puppy,some of them getting to be somewhat unPuppy-like.
Do you see that as a good or bad thing?

Someone else said a similar thing just recently about a project that things seem to be moving away from the user friendliness of the original puppy idea.
Don't knock the puplets, they are saying something important.
Along with the stated goals of puppy ( http://puppylinux.com/about.htm ) there is another goal that is not always recognised, but has been well and truly met, namely, to create a framework for rapidly building special-purpose systems. The "puplets" ( or "non-puppies, if you prefer ) are just public examples of what I suspect are a vast array of systems, each tailored to a specific task, be it intrusion testing of networks, backing up on the fly, cold booting, you name it. Most of them will never see the light of day, but they all depend on the simplicity and stability that BK created. ( Barry, take a bow please...)
As a simple example; your friend's M$ machine has some sort of hernia and refuses to play. You take you trusty puppy CD, boot it up, and recover all those priceless photos from My Pictures, earning undying gratitude in the process.
A more complex version: install an embedded toolchain onto a running puppy, get all the paths right so that everything works, then re-master th puppy. You have just saved yourself hours of work for the next time you need to work on the code in that embedded device. I could go on, but some of the examples would probably get me into trouble for disclosing proprietory information. So don't knock the puplets, they are pointers to something much bigger.
And yes, I believe this is the right forum to discuss the matter. This is for feedback on the quirky system, probably read by BK himself. And it may just be that with what he is doing with quirky he is taking puppy to another level entirely, and if in the process our inane chatter inspires him in any way at all to keep at it, well, so much the better.

Sage

#574 Post by Sage »

I have uploaded 7.0.4.1
Many thanks.

technosaurus

#575 Post by technosaurus »

gcmartin wrote:@BarryK we could use your help. Its about a system comand which has been around since the dawn of time in Linux (actually Unix in 1983).

It is updatedb/locate.
FWIW this was part of the 4.3 edition that used zigbert's awesome stardust desktop (not sure what happened to it since). updatedb/locate is (or was) also an essential part of gtkdialog that was broken in puppy for ages, but IIRC there is now a somewhat hacky patch in gtkdialog4+ that works around missing locate. I wrote a different hack for gtkdialog1 http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 798#602798

The only downside to including updatedb/locate, is that either the iso is larger (by including the db) or the first boot is slower because it has to be built (similar to updating module and icon databases)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

gcmartin

#576 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Technosaurus. Many of all the 64bit distros has the combo commands. The commands themselves do not occupy any real size, but, I agree that after arrival upon desktop and when it is first used, that first use will be as a normal find command, while it builds the first db. After which its locate operations would be instantaneous on an up to date db. I don't think a shipped db would be as useful as one which db builds after the system is started and in use with any open local drives. Further, if @BarryK does review the work done by those developers I mentioned, he may opt for the "slocate" along with updatedb. Any or both would be welcomed. I am aware of a past paper which concluded that developers search for files at a much greater rate, than ordinary users. I think we all understand why.

@BarryK,
There is a problem that I think you are already aware with the install utility. I used the 64bit version for 7041 and had 2 issues on the UEFI full install to USB flash:
  1. I selected my USB which was sdc and a utility message screen subsequently indicated it was writing to sdb which at the moment did not exist on my PC.
  2. Later, the utility aborted as unable to write
Hope this is helpful.
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

locate/updatedb

#577 Post by L18L »

technosaurus wrote:The only downside to including updatedb/locate, is that either the iso is larger (by including the db) or the first boot is slower because it has to be built (similar to updating module and icon databases)
Example for time and space:

Code: Select all

# locate --limit 3 spot
# time updatedb

real	0m21.210s
user	0m20.127s
sys	0m1.413s
# 
# locate --limit 3 spot
/aufs/devsave/fatdog700saveOLD/etc/network-setup/access/wlan0-KDWLANHotspot+
/aufs/devsave/fatdog700saveOLD/root/spot
/aufs/devsave/fatdog700saveOLD/root/spot/.adobe
# 
# ls -l /var/lib/locate/locatedb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2772231 Apr 30 10:34 /var/lib/locate/locatedb
#
Thus including db would make increase size about 2.7M
or (better in my opinion) launch updatedb & at bootup backgrounded.

So yes, inclusion of locate/updatedb seconded.

xanad

#578 Post by xanad »

BarryK wrote: If any translators want to review/update those, using MoManager, or add new ones, please do.
Note, I will also include 'delayedrun.mo' if provided.
it/LC_MESSAGES/delayedrun.mo
it/LC_MESSAGES/installquirky.mo
it/LC_MESSAGES/quicksetup.mo
it/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo
Attachments
MO-files.tar.gz
(32.97 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
[url]http://www.xanad.tk[/url] Html5 Parallax

OscarTalks

#579 Post by OscarTalks »

First time testing Quirky, live CD of April 7.0.4.1

Might be worth considering compiling latest gtkdialog which is 0.8.4 r514 or something like that I believe. I think you may have to get the source via svn checkout though.
http://code.google.com/p/gtkdialog/source/checkout

The advert blocker needs attention with not only missing icons but the Mvps thing is broken and Technobeta is long dead. I did sort all these things out in Puppy some time back. Tested this version 0.5b that I have and it looks OK at a glance. There was a different version for Woof-CE but I think that is no good for Quirky. Clicking the "Edit" button after running the blocker is a quick and easy way to see what changes have been made to the "hosts" file.
Attachments
pup-advert-blocker-quirky.jpg
Modified advert blocker in April 7.0.4.1
(100.67 KiB) Downloaded 1133 times
pup-advert-blocker-0.5b.pet
Is this any good?
(4.48 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Oscar in England

BarryK
Puppy Master

#580 Post by BarryK »

ozcjp wrote:
Bindee wrote:
BarryK wrote:The "Puppy Forum" is actually awash with forks and derivatives of Puppy,some of them getting to be somewhat unPuppy-like.

Someone else said a similar thing just recently about a project that things seem to be moving away from the user friendliness of the original puppy idea.
Along with the stated goals of puppy ( http://puppylinux.com/about.htm ) there is another goal that is not always recognised, but has been well and truly met, namely, to create a framework for rapidly building special-purpose systems. The "puplets" ( or "non-puppies, if you prefer ) are just public examples of what I suspect are a vast array of systems, each tailored to a specific task, be it intrusion testing of networks, backing up on the fly, cold booting, you name it. Most of them will never see the light of day, but they all depend on the simplicity and stability that BK created. ( Barry, take a bow please...)
As a simple example; your friend's M$ machine has some sort of hernia and refuses to play. You take you trusty puppy CD, boot it up, and recover all those priceless photos from My Pictures, earning undying gratitude in the process.
A more complex version: install an embedded toolchain onto a running puppy, get all the paths right so that everything works, then re-master th puppy. You have just saved yourself hours of work for the next time you need to work on the code in that embedded device. I could go on, but some of the examples would probably get me into trouble for disclosing proprietory information. So don't knock the puplets, they are pointers to something much bigger.
And yes, I believe this is the right forum to discuss the matter. This is for feedback on the quirky system, probably read by BK himself. And it may just be that with what he is doing with quirky he is taking puppy to another level entirely, and if in the process our inane chatter inspires him in any way at all to keep at it, well, so much the better.
Yes, my comment was spur-of-the-moment.

I think it is healthy to have a lot of diversity and individuals being given freedom to create.

Actually, what prompted my comment was the post from someone who was confused about where to download Quirky.
It is easy for someone to come along to the forum for the first time, and think that Quirky is a release of Puppy.
Ditto for some of the other derivatives that use this forum.

I wonder if there is any way to clarify this, without kicking all the derivatives out?
A separate section for the "official" Puppy releases? -- like, a big dividing line, one side is the official pups, the other side anything goes.

...I dunno, just thinking "out loud".

Just to clarify, this is John Murga's forum, not managed by me in any way.
There is a thread recently started, asking who is John Murga -- I just saw the title, haven't read it.
Way back in the first couple of Puppy-years, I ran Puppy forums, but I found it difficult to do, as well as be a developer. John offered to do it, and said that he was prepared to stick it out for the long haul -- which he has, both hosting and managing the forum, though he is very hands-off as he has a busy job.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Blackfish

#581 Post by Blackfish »

BarryK wrote:
ozcjp wrote:
Bindee wrote: Do you see that as a good or bad thing?

Yes, my comment was spur-of-the-moment.

I think it is healthy to have a lot of diversity and individuals being given freedom to create.

Actually, what prompted my comment was the post from someone who was confused about where to download Quirky.
It is easy for someone to come along to the forum for the first time, and think that Quirky is a release of Puppy.

I wonder if there is any way to clarify this, without kicking all the derivatives out?
A separate section for the "official" Puppy releases? -- like, a big dividing line, one side is the official pups, the other side anything goes.

...I dunno, just thinking "out loud".

Just to clarify, this is John Murga's forum, not managed by me in any way.
There is a thread recently started, asking who is John Murga -- I just saw the title, haven't read it.
Way back in the first couple of Puppy-years, I ran Puppy forums, but I found it difficult to do, as well as be a developer. John offered to do it, and said that he was prepared to stick it out for the long haul -- which he has, both hosting and managing the forum, though he is very hands-off as he has a busy job.
I agree with everything said here. And I am down 100% with the Official Puppy Page idea, which would obviously need not only to be written, but maintained to a high degree. I really don't think it would be that hard to do. A simple page, with all the ducks... uh... I mean to say, Puppies in a row, and with the latest and best download/site/mirror for each one, making them as user friendly as possible. Likely, most of the writing them up is all done already. They're just spread around and it looks a lot like confusion and chaos. It would be only a matter of copying and pasting the text and links and making it all look pretty, then publishing the page. Can't say for certain, but that's what it looks like to me.

The problem with all the creative minds and their efforts is that things get spread all over the place and it's hard to tell what's what sometimes. They're busy creating stuff, not worrying about what Web pages look like. If so desired, another list could be kept for those Pup forks and derivatives which are headed in a solid direction, and which are noteworthy. The individual creators of the various forks and derivatives should do as great a job as they possibly can in writing up their own creation and presenting it.

I, too, mistook Quirky for another Pup. And I have been correcting my bad grammar wherever I might find it.

I like the forum just the way it is. It's bulletin-boardish style is typical of the creative mind and highly useful. Some threads live a long time, and that is as it should be, and some threads just die--and that is as it should be! I suppose the only thing I don't like about it is that I can't run as many searches as I want, whenever I want. Barring that, the simpler the better.
Dell Latitude E5500 w/ Intel Centrino processor-- running bionicpup64-8.0

gcmartin

#582 Post by gcmartin »

Its not a problem but, what "really" is a PUP in 2015.
  • Your views:
    Is it the library structures and folder intended usage?
    Is it the manner of adding applications?
    Is it the base apps that are useful for 2015 machines in our presence?
    Is it a RAM based system?
    is it a HDD/USB/SSD based system?
    Is it a system that is ONLY 32bit?
What really is a PUP in 2015?

Time and industry has brought about new levels of ease of use which did not exist a decade ago when many members still had 486s and 64MB RAM. Almost noone, in past 6 years has mentioned those. We are in a new timezone and its time to adapt?

Further, there are also attempts at advancements from the likes of @Gyro, @StemSee, @Kirk-JamesBond, @Mavthol, @01Micko, @TaZoC-Dry Falls, etc which such recent things as "boot either 32bit/64bit", PPM2, WOOFCE, KVM, Kernels to map to any PUP, MTP, Touch, etc. And, even it not specifically mentioned, there much to brag about in advancement presented over the years.

Curious as to what is seen when you look at your own surroundings: PCs, smartPhones, smartDevices, cameras, LANs, tether, routers, TVs, etc.

What do you "really" see? Isn't it time to adjust our prism just a bit. How about SAMBA-V4 to start talking to those things around us just as our Wins/Apples do? DLNA? Simple addition and there are others desktop advances (actually decades old technology) which will be helpful in today's data use environments that the OS addresses and the distros can too.

If a line is "drawn in the sand" can it be drawn with this current understanding to mark the 2nd decade for PUPPY LInux!

Lastly, I, for one, would be in favor of a 10th Year Anniversary Party, online! :D

Merely an FYI post

Billtoo

Quirky April 7.0.3 final

#583 Post by Billtoo »

Installed April32-7.0.4.1 to a 32gb SDHC card.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Quirky April, version 7.0.4.1

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 68d9

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1920x1080
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): ati
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse radeon ramdac

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
No problems so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(97.5 KiB) Downloaded 939 times

Bindee

#584 Post by Bindee »

Bindee wrote:

At no point did i pose the question if there should or shouldn't be other puppy projects , so i have no idea why people are replying as such. :shock:

What i highlighted was forks and derivatives moving away from Barry's user friendliness approach to his projects , hence what i see as getting to be somewhat unPuppy-like , I wondered if he thought the same and if that is what he was hinting at.

Billtoo

Quirky April 7.0.3 final

#585 Post by Billtoo »

I tried to compile zarfy and arandr but was unable to get either to
compile so I searched on google for xrandr 2 monitor setup and it gave
several results.
This one is working for me:

xrandr --auto --output HDMI-0 --mode 1920x1080 --right-of DVI-0

I saved it as 2monitors.sh in /root/startup and changed the permissions
to executable.

Yippee!
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(47.45 KiB) Downloaded 675 times

don570

#586 Post by don570 »

While I was making a mtpaint pet package I found that
Barry has changed the name of the mtpaint desktop file.

From mtPaint-image-editor.desktop to mtpaint.desktop

This might cause some confusion for people making packages in the future.

davids45

Installer problem?

#587 Post by davids45 »

G'day Barry,

Had working 7.0.3 Quirky on sdb5 (9.8GB, ext3) and tried to install Quirky-7.0.4.1 onto this partition as new Pup (not upgrade).

First try (I clicked on installer in sda5) seemed OK until very last step when sdb5 was not showing as being mounted and remained empty despite installer box giving menu.lst addition info. for new Quirky

Second try, after reformating sdb5 to ext4 and running installer from terminal. Again, all looked OK until final step when sdb5 showed no mounting and nothing being copied to it.

Screen shot attached with final installer messages about not finding files, and Rox box of installer+xz file location if that is important. I hope you can read details.

David S.
Attachments
Quirky7041-install_fail.jpg
Screen after 2nd attempt to install Quirky-7041 to sdb5
(94.71 KiB) Downloaded 1741 times

nnedy

#588 Post by nnedy »

BarryK wrote: It is easy for someone to come along to the forum for the first time, and think that Quirky is a release of Puppy.

This --------------- ^

I came here over a week ago looking for an alternative 64 bit OS to Windows as i have no wish to continue with Microsoft any longer and after a week of lurking i still have no clue what i'm doing or where i'm supposed to be.

No offence to everyones hard work but this forum is just a cluttered mess and makes no sense to a Windows newbie like me , I mean just how many different install package extensions do you need that are non-cross compatible to confuse the crap out of a Newbie ???

I came here after being told that this place was supposed to be as easy as Windows with point and click Pet install files , but it's not that easy , far from it.

:(

cthisbear

#589 Post by cthisbear »

" I came here after being told that this place was supposed to be as easy
as Windows with point and click Pet install files , but it's not that easy ,
far from it. "

::::::::::

Welcome to Puppy mate.

Although I have never been known to use it here...

a little patience and respect are supposed to work wonders.

Good things happen with Puppy on this forum.

So cool your jets son.

Oh! so we could actually be helpful...you did post your specs...

Right??????????????????????????????????///

Chris.

Blackfish

#590 Post by Blackfish »

nnedy wrote:
BarryK wrote: It is easy for someone to come along to the forum for the first time, and think that Quirky is a release of Puppy.

This --------------- ^

I came here over a week ago looking for an alternative 64 bit OS to Windows as i have no wish to continue with Microsoft any longer and after a week of lurking i still have no clue what i'm doing or where i'm supposed to be.

No offence to everyones hard work but this forum is just a cluttered mess and makes no sense to a Windows newbie like me , I mean just how many different install package extensions do you need that are non-cross compatible to confuse the crap out of a Newbie ???

I came here after being told that this place was supposed to be as easy as Windows with point and click Pet install files , but it's not that easy , far from it.

:(
Try Fat Dog. It's 64-bit and easy to install.

Another big winner is Tahr Pup 6.0.2 CE. Easy to install. Point and click installation on most goodies. If you can't run this, you need some practice. It doesn't get any easier than this. Precise Pup is also easy. It was my main operating system for a long time. If you absolutely must have a 64-bit OS (and you really don't), go with Fat Dog.

If you are a newbie to Linux altogether, you might want try an Ubuntu installation before trying anything else. Get the feel of it. Look at the terminal, try a few simple commands, run a few programs, etc. Ubuntu Tahr LTS 14.02 rocks. Ubuntu Kylin is awesome. Linux Mint is another great one.
Dell Latitude E5500 w/ Intel Centrino processor-- running bionicpup64-8.0