Slacko Woofers

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Billtoo

Re: Slacko 14.1 32bit

#61 Post by Billtoo »

peebee wrote: I didn't choose jwm_config nor ptheme in my build.....
I built another Slacko-6.0.7.4 and if you don't click on jwm_config and
ptheme then you don't get a panel.
I reran ./3builddistro-Z and clicked on them after seeing no panel the
first time.
Now have the menubar at the top of the srceen and doing a right click
on the desktop brings up the "edit bookmarks" thing.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(87.8 KiB) Downloaded 680 times

01micko

#62 Post by 01micko »

@peebe, Billtoo, keef

I'll admit ziggy's jwm_config isn't quite ready so I'll put jwmconfig3 back in the specs. I need to sort out some tests for the checkbox gui, disabling the checkbox if certain progs are in the specs and defaulting it if they are not.

I don't think the kernel should make a difference, unless of course it is unsupported by your hardware.

legacy_grub and pupmd5sum were fixed about 9 hours ago from the time of this post. I did a full 1download from scratch and 2createpackages and everything built.

I'll try and get things more finalised today. I had a frantic day yesterday!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zigbert

Re: Slacko 14.1 32bit

#63 Post by zigbert »

Keef wrote:/root/.jwm/root_menus/menu1 is missing.
01micko wrote:I'll admit ziggy's jwm_config isn't quite ready so I'll put jwmconfig3 back in the specs.
I have looked in woof-CE (testing branch), and /root/.jwm/root_menus/menu1 is a symlink to /usr/local/jwm_config/menu_build_mouseaction. This is as intended? What happens?

Else than corner-action is not working. I don't know of any troubles... Corner actions should maybe be deactivated anyway, since it won't work for touchscreens?

Mick, if you have the idea of using jwm_config in the end, I need the feedback to stabilize the pack. Not surprisingly, it works well on my system.

Sigmund

01micko

#64 Post by 01micko »

@ziggy

I'm running jwm_config now and it is quite ok. I do get errors when I switch things around though. I think that people are used to button 3 opening the menu and don't realise that button 2 does it. Maybe it should be switched around for a smoother transition?

The best way to get it stable is for me to release an iso and you to work in that version. :)

Soon.

gcmartin

#65 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @01Micko. I am (and I'm sure others, as well) are so grateful to the effort you are doing to get PUPPY build to a better place. So grateful!!!

This post is a response to an earlier one you made on mouse button usage. One of the things I hope is in the back of your upcoming ISO is the notion of touch. So I toss an idea that if plausible, it will lands in your ISO.

Idea
It IS NOT MY IDEA! It was from our former member @TaZoC. He showed that if the Menu is on mouse #1, that any user could touch an open area of the screen with a finger tap to get the Menu and launch any PUP app contained. I have been a user of this technology leap for past 4 years. Along the way, several members have commented in the forum on the Menu placement on any mouse button as NOT A PUP standard, so I suspect that when @TaZoC chose that use, he knew there did not exist a standard for Menu launch via mouse/finger tap for any mouse button. Thus, he made a choice that benefits all users.

The other benefit is that on small touch screens without this ability, you must get your "fingernail" (yes that is finger-nail) into the very corner of the tiny screen if one needs to tap for the menu. He may have also thought of that too, when he decided mouse #1 as a go mechanism for both normal and touch users.

Over the almost 5 years of its placement in his distros, no one has complained about the mouse use NOR the finger tap selection he made.

Request
If you see something positive by that placement, would you consider the Mouse #1 placement for Menu activation when clicked on an open area.

It may seem small and incidental, but might bring a benefit in use as PUPPY marches forward in time and new system users land in Puppyland with these touchable tablets/units/etc. This serves both classes of PUP users; traditional PCs and touch PCs.

Billtoo

Slacko Woofers

#66 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a 4gb flash drive, pc is a lenovo desktop:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Tue 20 Oct 2015 on Slacko64 Puppy 6.0.7.4 Linux 4.1.8 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] RV530 [Radeon X1600 PRO]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RV530 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV530
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2336 1: @2003 MHz

Still have 2.3gb free on 4gb flash drive after installing my favorite applications.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(92.07 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Wed 21 Oct 2015, 11:16, edited 2 times in total.

peebee

#67 Post by peebee »

Updated my 6.0.7.4 32-bit build - now have a jwm panel....and no missing downloads

Tried to use 666philb's http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... PAE.tar.xz as the huge kernel but 3builddistro-Z first baulked at the file name and then didn't like the contents (but it did make an iso albeit with a wrongly named zdrv). (Stemsee's kernels also seem to have different internal component naming....)

(FYI: a sane build results from using the 4.1.10-64 bit kernel BUT library paths are not correct for 32-bit addons so Chromium for instance does not work).

Yes please to 4.1.10-32 bit when you have some spare time Mick ;-)

Noticed that:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/firefox-38.3.0:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib:/root/my-applications/lib:/usr/local/lib"
is pointing to the now non-existent /usr/X11R7/lib

Cheers
peebee

p.s. now need to know what I need to do to add some local packages to the build and how to set things up so that my additions survive through incremental builds - is there any guidance on this anywhere?? I'm thinking that I need to put the packages into /local-repositories (but I'd like to keep them separate from the base packages if possible) and then I need to add suitable lines into DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-slackware-14.1 and Packages-puppy-slacko14.1-official - but do they have to be in alphabetical order? and again can I keep my additions logically separate so they survive through incremental updates of the base?
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#68 Post by 01micko »

I haven't time to go into all that right now Peter but you can take a look at my old spup thread and download some of the isos. <-- http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62750 (lots of broken links) but there is some stuff at http://smokey01.com/01micko/

You really should have a go at compiling a kernel. Kernel-kit makes it pretty easy.

01micko

#69 Post by 01micko »

Just an update on 64 bit slacko -

fixed
  • gnome-mplayer
    hexchat
added
  • cifs-utils [slackware]
    keyutils [slackware]
    pupmd5sum
    isomater
    xfdiff-cut [with dep libtubo]
updated
  • Pup-Kview
    Pup-SysInfo
    grub4dos
    sys-info
    tas

Billtoo

#70 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote: fixed
  • gnome-mplayer
    hexchat
hexchat is working so I guess I have the latest but gnome-mplayer isn't working.
Attachments
error.jpg
(17.8 KiB) Downloaded 505 times

01micko

#71 Post by 01micko »

Where did you get that gnome-mplayer? The one I built is against gtk2. Did you get it from slacky/salix from PPM?

Billtoo

#72 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote:Where did you get that gnome-mplayer? The one I built is against gtk2. Did you get it from slacky/salix from PPM?
I didn't add it, I built this Slacko64 yesterday arount noon I think and that's what I got.

unicorn316386

#73 Post by unicorn316386 »

@01micko: Thank you! I made another x86 build with Slacko 6.0.7.4 and it's working better than ever. :)

I kept the old linux_firewall around, as the optional newer one in 6.0.7.2 was blocking everything including firefox sometimes (using the default configuration) and other times not and I didn't want to try to figure out what was going on with it. :lol:

I posted a better description of my bottom bar "no borders to separate items" issue here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=868798#868798

Menu -> Desktop -> JWM Settings -> Tray Management -> Autohide (On) seems to fail for me too. Same with Menu -> Desktop -> JWM Settings -> Title Bar Window Button Theming -> Classic (Apply). Coincidence? hmmm :twisted:
unicorn316386 wrote:- GTK theme selection option is not available in Desktop menu any more? (hmm, maybe this was optional in ./3builddistro-Z)
It looks like this one is because it's changed to "no" in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-slackware-14.1:
no|gtk-chtheme||exe,dev>null,doc,nls
Changing the value to "yes" lets me access the menu to change gtk themes again, but maybe it was removed intentionally?
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(34.27 KiB) Downloaded 434 times

mavrothal

#74 Post by mavrothal »

unicorn316386 wrote:Menu -> Desktop -> JWM Settings -> Tray Management -> Autohide (On) seems to fail for me
This patch will fix that.

Code: Select all

--- a/usr/local/jwmconfig2/taskbarConfig	
+++ b/usr/local/jwmconfig2/taskbarConfig	
@@ -10,11 +10,11 @@
 ##-----taskbarPlace----->>

TMP="/tmp/checklist.tmp.$$"
-ISSET="true"
-ISOFF="false"
 CONFIG="/root/.jwmrc-tray"
 CONFIG2="/root/.jwmrc-tray-bak"
 CONF="/root/.jwmrc-tray-temp"
+ISOFF="off"
+[ "$(grep -c "y="0"" $CONFIG)" != "0" ] && ISSET="top" || ISSET="bottom"

#----Set defaults---->>
 AUTO_OFF=ON
However a more elaborate solution that will detect accurately JWM version and implement the correct approach is needed.
This affects jwm-2.3.0+ but most puppies have jwm git versions instead.
(What is the git version of version 2.3.0 ???)
I guess similar reasons affect other JWM options.

Edit: corrected the patch
Last edited by mavrothal on Sat 24 Oct 2015, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

#75 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:Just an update on 64 bit slacko -
updated
  • Pup-Kview
    Pup-SysInfo
    grub4dos
    sys-info
    tas
Hi Mick

For 32-bit build

Pup-SysInfo-2.6 is available in pet_packages-noarch

but it is the Pup-SysInfo-2.3.1 in pet_packages-slacko14.1 that's getting used in the build....because it's listed in Packages-puppy-slacko14.1-official ?

I agree with you - keeping these lists/databases up to date and consistent is a nightmare.

Just a thought for the future - instead of one big file for each repository folder - would it be better and easier to maintain to have a single line file inside the repository folder which identified the current version of each package to be used in a build? These could be combined together at build time to recreate the current big list....and maybe inconsistencies like this could be detected and flagged?

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#76 Post by 01micko »

Billtoo wrote:
01micko wrote:Where did you get that gnome-mplayer? The one I built is against gtk2. Did you get it from slacky/salix from PPM?
I didn't add it, I built this Slacko64 yesterday arount noon I think and that's what I got.
Confirmed. My mistake.

@peebee,
but it is the Pup-SysInfo-2.3.1 in pet_packages-slacko14.1 that's getting used in the build....because it's listed in Packages-puppy-slacko14.1-official ?
Bug confirmed.

Fixes soon.

-----------------------------------

EDIT: both errors should be fixed now.

unicorn316386

#77 Post by unicorn316386 »

mavrothal wrote:This patch will fix that.

--- a/usr/local/jwmconfig2/taskbarConfig	
+++ b/usr/local/jwmconfig2/taskbarConfig	
@@ -10,11 +10,11 @@
 ##-----taskbarPlace----->>

TMP="/tmp/checklist.tmp.$$"
-ISSET="true"
-ISOFF="false"
 CONFIG="/root/.jwmrc-tray"
 CONFIG2="/root/.jwmrc-tray-bak"
 CONF="/root/.jwmrc-tray-temp"
+ISOFF="off"
+[ "$(grep -c "y="0"" $CONFIG)" != "" ] && ISSET="top" || ISSET="bottom"

#----Set defaults---->>
 AUTO_OFF=ON
However a more elaborate solution that will detect accurately JWM version and implement the correct approach is needed.
This affects jwm-2.3.0+ but most puppies have jwm git versions instead.
(What is the git version of version 2.3.0 ???)
I guess similar reasons affect other JWM options.
Thanks. I might play around with your idea in more detail later, or if it's still in the released version. Your post inspired me to try rebuilding 6.0.7.4 with the jwm-905.pet default from Slacko 5.7.1 (instead of jwm-2.3.2-i686_slk600.pet) and that fixed all 3 issues! It doesn't work completely if you just Remove builtin packages -> jwm then add the 905 pet though, for best results you have to completely rebuild the whole thing with it, but it was worth it. Now my 6.0.7.4 looks almost exactly like 5.7, yes! :)
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(40.41 KiB) Downloaded 271 times

mavrothal

#78 Post by mavrothal »

unicorn316386 wrote:Your post inspired me to try rebuilding 6.0.7.4 with the jwm-905.pet default from Slacko 5.7.1 (instead of jwm-2.3.2-i686_slk600.pet) and that fixed all 3 issues! It doesn't work completely if you just Remove builtin packages -> jwm then add the 905 pet though, for best results you have to completely rebuild the whole thing with it, but it was worth it. Now my 6.0.7.4 looks almost exactly like 5.7, yes! :)
Then why use a new puppy? :P :D
Yes, these changes in JWM are frustrating but if we stick with the old one will miss on any new features/security fixes.
Anyway, this other little change fixes the buttons issue

-- a/usr/local/jwmconfig2/window_buttons
+++ b/usr/local/jwmconfig2/window_buttons
@@ -20,10 +20,10 @@
 	for icon in $Dir/*
 	  do ifile=$(basename $icon)
 	  ext=${ifile##*.}
-	  newicon=`echo $ifile|sed "s%${ext}$%png%"`
-	  ln -sf ${icon} /usr/share/pixmaps/${newicon}
+	  oldext=$(grep '<Button' /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal | head -n 1 | cut -f 2 -d '.' | cut -f 1 -d '<' )
+	  [ "${ext}" != "${oldext}" ] &&  sed -i "s%${oldext}%${ext}%g" /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal 
+	  ln -sf ${icon} /usr/share/pixmaps/$(basename ${icon})
 	  done
-	#fixmenus
 	jwm -restart
 	rm /tmp/jwm_button_themes.xml 2>/dev/null
 }
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

B.K. Johnson

#79 Post by B.K. Johnson »

THIS POST IS BEING MADE HERE SOLELY AT THE BEHEST OF gcmartin

gcmartin asked here that I report in this thread whether or not I can connect wirelessly (Netgear WNA3100) with slacko.6.0.6.0. I agreed to do so in the interest of the community.

The short answer is NO; no joy. ndiswrapper is not in the kernel and was not compiled in the puppy. This is not surprising. It has never been a part of this puppy since the earliest beta.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

Billtoo

Slacko Woofers

#80 Post by Billtoo »

I woofed a Slacko-6.0.7.4 this morning and did a manual frugal install
to a 32gb flash drive, running on a lenovo desktop pc:

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Fri 23 Oct 2015 on Slacko Puppy 6.0.7.4 Linux 3.12.21 i686
oem: Intel(r)Eaglelake Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
vendor: Intel Corporation
product: Intel(r)Eaglelake Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) G41 x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2003 1: @2003 MHz

I installed all the usual stuff, only problem so far is mplayer crashes
when running smplayer, it's missing liba52 which is available in PPM.

Looks good.
Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
(112.38 KiB) Downloaded 626 times
Screenshot.jpg
(93 KiB) Downloaded 812 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 24 Oct 2015, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.