Please post any bugs you have found
Sage

#61 Post by Sage »

I got my Dell 4300 for free at the local dump
Splendid fella!
the motherboard is toast
Always replace the caps:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php?
take them from an old AT PSU or another board rather than use cash.
..suppose you're on a trip to the big city, or even to the big country next door...etc.
Doesn't everyone use their mobile phone or EeePC now?!

Glad you took the trouble to read my exclusion clause...

otropogo

#62 Post by otropogo »

Sage wrote:...
the motherboard is toast
Always replace the caps:
Wow! A whole new world of time-consuming, stale-dated knowledge has opened for me. Thank you, thank you!

Sage wrote:
..suppose you're on a trip to the big city, or even to the big country next door...etc.
Doesn't everyone use their mobile phone or EeePC now?!
No cherry picking now!

Sure, I've got a little Nokia 2125i, but it costs me 30 cents a minute to use (prepaid), and doesn't work at all, at any price, in the "big country" next door (or any other foreign country - yeah, Virgin!). And I can barely read the screen when reading text messages, let alone browsing the net....and EeePC? I'm afraid to even ask.
Sage wrote:Glad you took the trouble to read my exclusion clause...
I always try to read the fine print, assuming it doesn't go on for pages and pages......

Subito Piano

#63 Post by Subito Piano »

Smilies/emoticons don't seem to work in Ayttm using IM (AOL/ICQ) -- ?????

GeoW

#64 Post by GeoW »

Yo Subito Piano,

Have you checked that Enable Smileys is checked in your Preferences?

GeoW

Sage

#65 Post by Sage »

I always try to read the fine print
Important to try to interpret punctuation on my offerings, too, since I despise little pictures (I received an adequate edukashun in iNglish).

Subito Piano

#66 Post by Subito Piano »

Yeah - smileys are enabled, but no go. I click the smilie inserter button and nothing happens. Mind you, i'm not sure i really care, but this is a bug report forum...

pigshed

#67 Post by pigshed »

Further confirmation on "conservative" version :

Power management now works as per puppy 4.0 - APM is running fine, everything powers off and processor fan is working correctly. (still to test normal version). I will have to check , but I think (not certain, may have been sunlight conditions) - that the LCD may have powered off when ACPI=force was in place on earlier tests - but will test further.

Have just tried to burn a CD for the first time ... This is probably not a problem with Alpha 6 and as I've not tried it before I have nothing to compare to at present ..

The burner is an internal NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A connected (externally) to an IDE to USB2 adapter, which in turn is connected to a USB2/firewire PCMCIA(cardbus) adapter.

I've tried the burn2iso and pburn and get the same result - disk is ejected at the point it would start writing and both times the imediate log seems to give - wodim: No such file or directory. Cannot open ''.

The end bit is two single quotes and a full stop. As I say, probably not an alpha issue, probably another configuration issue - but still would appreciate any ideas if anyone has any .. .. be nice to burn a CD .. I can read CD's/DVD's from the device and it shows up as /dev/sr0.

Pburn gives : (oh no, I fill up a thread with "droppings...." again ..)

scsidev: '/dev/sr0'
devname: '/dev/sr0'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.6
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
Driveropts: 'burnfree'
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : '_NEC '
Identification : 'DVD_RW ND-1300A '
Revision : '1.08'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0009 (CD-R)
Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)
Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)
Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)
Profile: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
Profile: 0x000A (CD-RW)
Profile: 0x0009 (CD-R) (current)
Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM) (current)
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96R RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 1345536 = 1314 KB
FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB
wodim: No such file or directory. Cannot open ''.

Apologies and thanks .. Adam.

EDIT : as this is most probably nothing to do with 406 have posted here .. : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 324#224324
Last edited by pigshed on Sat 16 Aug 2008, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Cannot login to msn. bad cookies.

#68 Post by Béèm »

Where are those cookies?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

deniros

Re: Kernel Hang

#69 Post by deniros »

You got the same kind of intel chipset as mine (Intel® P965 or later ). And normally you have to use the "irqpoll" parameter to bypass that problem (with < 2007 kernels).

In my case it didn't work. And with me the alpha6 also hangs at boot. Even tried to copy the files to usbstick to check whether it was just a cd/dvd drive problem. but it wasn't.

But i'll try further.
Fishy wrote:Hangs at booting the kernel. Two downloads, md5sums both verified.
Occasionally alpha 4 did the same thing. Ohh, it wasn't the conservative kernel! :(

ASUS P5K
Pentium Dual Core
4 gig
Pretty vanilla set-up, no over-clocking etc.

pigshed

#70 Post by pigshed »

Just tested 406 Standard

Shutdown stops at System Halted as to be expected (conservative works)

Unusually - maybe - the CD burning issue listed above in conservative - works fine in Standard !

Extract from burniso2cd :

SCSI buffer size: 64512
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : '_NEC '
Identification : 'DVD_RW ND-1300A '
Revision : '1.08'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0009 (CD-R)
Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)
Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)
Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)
Profile: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
Profile: 0x000A (CD-RW)
Profile: 0x0009 (CD-R) (current)
Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM) (current)
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96R RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 1345536 = 1314 KB
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data 694 MB
Total size: 797 MB (78:57.77) = 355333 sectors
Lout start: 797 MB (78:59/58) = 355333 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
ATIP info from disk:
Indicated writing power: 5
Is not unrestricted
Is not erasable
Disk sub type: Medium Type B, low Beta category (B-) (4)
ATIP start of lead in: -11607 (97:27/18)
ATIP start of lead out: 359849 (79:59/74)
Disk type: Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 18
Manufacturer: Plasmon Data systems Ltd.
Blocks total: 359849 Blocks current: 359849 Blocks remaining: 4516
Speed set to 706 KB/s
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4.0 in real SAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write i 0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Performing OPC...
Sending CUE sheet...
Writing pregap for track 1 at -150
Starting new track at sector: 0

Other quirks though .. booting with the external IDE cd/usb2/pcmcia connected - doesn't show in hot pup or pmount (with or without cd inserted). Running Hardinfo and clicking storage causes hardinfo to crash. removing usb and re-inserting makes no difference. Removing, powering off external device, inserting, powering on and hot pups shows it as SR1. Then running Hardinfo shows it as a SCSI device - though strangely the internal laptop CD drive also shows as a SCSI device - whilst in conservative only the external drive shows as SCSI.

Impatiently then trying to run hardinfo in 406conservative somehow causes the idiot with the mouse (me) to click on restart (???!?!?!?) and you have to type all this again .... but next time round (now), with the drive connected from boot - hardinfo - storage - doesn't crash (like 406standard)

And... I know, I need to list it in the network thread - but the network setup on boot is definitely not consistent. Is the Two blinky's purely a madwifi issue (ath0) (ie, no one else gets two ??) Many times on boot I still get one blinky (and no network) - a re-boot almost certainly guarantees it will work - otherwise you need to go into connect - strangely though ath0 and wifi0 are both listed as available networks - it's like if it doesn't see the wlan on the first pass it gives up (normally when I first connect with ath0 I need to click on "scan" twice before it sees my wireless network.) oh well ..

Adam.

otropogo

#71 Post by otropogo »

Sage wrote:
I always try to read the fine print
Important to try to interpret punctuation on my offerings, too, since I despise little pictures (I received an adequate edukashun in iNglish).
I've also eschewed the use of emoticons, considering them the mortal enemies of subtlety, wit, and humour.

However, Flash's "closing" comment to the Bullocks* thread has persuaded me that they may have a limited legitimate role.

Sadly, the example has been sanitized since I first viewed it.

Flash wrote: Not again :evil:
* I see that the thread has been continued under another name with, ironically, Flash participating
Last edited by otropogo on Sun 17 Aug 2008, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

PaulBx1

#72 Post by PaulBx1 »

More on the "standard" version.

Yes, wallpaper application does not work.

I don't agree there are too many calculators. I doubt these are big applications. Some do some things better than others.

However the units converter calculator is still a lame dog! Better to not have one, than to have one this laughably inadequate. Or bring back the old one if possible.
YET the control does absolutely nothing for the sound. The only way I can adjust the sound is through the alsa mixer.
I still have no sound at all on the Dell Inspiron 1525. I never tried Alsa before, but I couldn't get it to do anything. Anyone else having this problem? According to pupscan my sound device is an Intel 82801H HD Audio Controller (Vendor 8086 Device 284b) and the module loaded is snd_hda_intel. I see nothing in the logs about a sound device though.

I tried playing an audio CD, no go although gxine makes visual indications it is playing.

I noticed one thing about the speaker icon on the taskbar though. I can click it and adjust it to some volume. If I click somewhere to close that, then click it again, the volume slider is back at zero. The flyover always says "Volume 76" no matter what.

Sage

#73 Post by Sage »

Further confirmation on "conservative" version :

Power management now works
Finally got around to testing the 'conservative' (boy - do I hate that word) version. For the first time since the 1st series, machines with the SiS chipsets actually switch off. Progress indeed.

capoverde

#74 Post by capoverde »

Not a show-stopper, but confusing: after ticking for MUT and single-window in Pmount's preferences, it shows the CD-ROM drive in different positions whether mounted or not: when unmounted it came second after the floppy drive, and after mounting it's the top item.

- Wallpaper-setter not starting is confirmed here.
- Pmusic seems excellent.
- The Volume button, both in the tray slider and in SGmixer, has no effect while each of the two PCM sliders in SGMixer work (must test that on other machines, this one's an AthlonXP 1800+Biostar M7VIW MoBo).
- Hitting the <insert> key while typing into a form makes also GTKmoz crash instantly, just as SeaMonkey; installed Skipstone (in twenty seconds flat, impressive!) and the same happened there. On the contrary Mozilla under Win$ and IceWeasel (=Firefox) in ELive have no such problem.

zygo

#75 Post by zygo »

- pmount
please add pref 'tick box to disable optical drive eject after unmounting'
with only module/firmware loading enabled in puppy event manager
plugging in a usb stick doesn't cause pmount to refresh but unplugging the stick does. Surely it should do both or none. And maybe another pmount pref 'tick box to enable refresh upon drive plug in /unplug'.

I made a new file in root and copied it to the usb stick. The usb copy is given execute permissions for some reason. I modified the file in root and copied it to the usb stick (dnd). This resulted in an error:
"cp: preserving permissions for `/mnt/sda1/puppy/setup400/Puppy4a6err.txt': Operation not permitted
Failed to copy '/root/Puppy4a6err.txt'"
Only the cancel button is available but he file is actually copied.

- In geany undo is sometimes selected from the context menu as soon as it opens - thus closing the menu. This also happened in scite. I am using xvesa.

- autocutsel-0.7.1-1.pet
this was all I needed (alone - without glipper) in Puppy4 to allow copying and pasting to and from a text editor and a console. Now I can't copy form editor and paste to the console even with glipper running. Strangely, I can copy from a rox rename field to a console.

- pupdial
The modem disconnects after a second "ppp daemon has died exit code=16". The same as in a5. Following the warning of a possible clash I deleted the max speed param (115200) and the modem could no longer be communicated with. I think that's all I changed. NB wvdial.conf still had a line saying "baud=" deleting this did not change the outcome. Even probe and ttyS0 buttons didn't work. At this point Picocom could communicate with the modem with no trouble. Then I realised that it was /etc/ppp/options that needed changing. I put 115200 back into pupdial and removed it from options. No go. So I tried wvdial in a console. Which connected then disconnected after a second saying "The ppp demon has died pppd options error (exit code = 2). Try man ppp." Ah, maybe if I set the device to /dev/ttyS0 in wvdial.conf it will work.

- puppy event manager
With only module/firmware loading enabled in puppy event manager I closed the gui and copied /root/.etc/eventmanager to usb stick. When I rebooted the live cd with no pupsave and overwrote the eventmanager file then restarted X the desktop drive icons appeared though they did not respond to events. It seems that /root/.pup_event/drive_drives (an others that seem to be joined) needs deleting too.

prehistoric

verifying ISO

#76 Post by prehistoric »

Flash wrote:..I never check the downloaded iso against the md5 checksum, but I always check the box for burniso2cd to verify the DVD it just burned against the iso. What I've found is that if burniso2cd uses an iso from a hd partition, it often won't verify the burn. But if I copy the iso from the hd to RAM (to /tmp), then tell burniso2cd to use the iso in /tmp, it verifies every time.
Two separate issues here: 1) the reliability of your Internet connection; 2) timing problems during burning or verifying.

Many of us, even with relatively good internet connections, do get bad downloads. Most people should check md5sums before burning a CD.

There are many ways timing can bite you during a CD/DVD burn. I've had one fail because I was running in RAM on a frugal install to a flash drive. When the automatic save took place, it wrecked the burn.

One question, have you been able to verify CDs burned multisession?

pigshed

#77 Post by pigshed »

Some 4.1 A6 observations..

Have just been playing again with some other pups and distro's .. and lordy, is 4.1 quick in comparison...

Strange observation between the standard version and the conservative version in seamonkey.

In conservative, scrolling a web page with the mouse wheel for instance - is instant and smooth. Turn quick, it goes quick .. instant. Usable .. One things that immediately attracted me to puppy in the first place over other linux distro's was this phenomena (and the fact that my wireless actually worked).

In standard, nasty ! back to yukbuntuscroll ! Jerky ! horrible .. it's like a mexican wave - or a window width worm - the bottom starts to scroll, then the rest of the body ebbs after it.

Adam.

dogone

SCSI scanners not detected by Puppy 4 series

#78 Post by dogone »

My Adaptec 2940 SCSI card correctly detects the following devices at boot:

Microtek E6 flatbed scanner
HP PhotoSmart C5100A film and print scanner

KDE in my PCBSD install detects and is able to use these scanners.

Xsane in Puppy since 4.0 does not detect either scanner.

In 4.1 alpha 6:

/dev/scanner does not exist.

"microtek", "microtek2" and "hp" exist (uncommented) in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.

"Xsane Image Scanner" menu item brings up the orange "Frontend for Xsane" dialog... with the option "To continue and run Xsane, answer this question: Do you have a parallel-port or USB scanner?" I do not, so my only option is "Quit"

Running xsane in a terminal brings up it's "Searching for devices" dialog followed by "No devices found". End of adventure.

# dmesg | grep scsi
scsi0 : sata_nv
scsi1 : sata_nv
scsi2 : pata_amd
scsi3 : pata_amd
scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA ST3160812A 3.AA PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
scsi 2:0:1:0: CD-ROM _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A 1.06 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr 2:0:1:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
scsi4 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access Corsair VoyagerGT 1100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS

Am I missing something here or do we have an "issue"?
Last edited by dogone on Thu 21 Aug 2008, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

raffy

Standard Build OK

#79 Post by raffy »

4.1 standard works well in AMD XP 2100 with SiS chip (similar to Lobster's machine). Shutdown is complete.

In the conservative build, the swap partition shows up in PMount not as swap but FAT.

No problems noted in the eee, using the standard build.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

linuxcbon

#80 Post by linuxcbon »

When internet connection down (ex cable removed), seamonkey or rox take a long time to open ?