NOP 4.13 r1 released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Advnaser

#61 Post by Advnaser »

Hi all,

I tried to open an mp4 file with Xfmedia and the whole system crashed. Did any of you experience that? I think Xine is better than Xfmedia in many respects.

rcrsn51

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Patriot: Thanks for that clarification. As a test, I downloaded NOP 4.13 and tried to install a printer that uses the external pnm2ppa filter. I got the same "foomatic-rip failed" error.

This is the first time I have seen an NOP and I was very impressed. I was immediately reminded of the movie line, "Everybody thinks that they have good taste". Clearly, gray has good taste.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 20 Mar 2009, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.

Zyxmon

#63 Post by Zyxmon »

Just for information. I am using Samsung ML-2010 USB printer + splix-1.1.1.pet (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30885) + JetDirect/AppSocket print server. No problems with CUPS and NOP 4.13.

rcrsn51

#64 Post by rcrsn51 »

Interesting. The splix package installs it main component inside CUPS - in /usr/lib/cups/filter.

A package like pnm2ppa stores its main component as an executable in an external folder like /usr/local/bin.

This again suggests that the new version of CUPS is refusing to run any external program. The message from the error log is
Insecure $ENV{PATH} while running setuid at /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip line 225

gray

menus

#65 Post by gray »

davesurrey: You only need to edit the menu file if you want to change the structure of the menu system or put a menu item specifically in a menu position. To do what you want all you need to do is edit the correct app.desktop file in /usr/share/applications to change the category to one that will show up in the current menu structure. In your case change the category in the picasa.desktop file to 'Graphics' only.

davesurrey

#66 Post by davesurrey »

gray:
Okay now it's clicked how to do it all but I have to say I think xfce4.6 is crying out for a menu editor. Not its finest attribute.
Thanks for the help.
Still loving this.
Dave

`f00

#67 Post by `f00 »

Yah, latest versions and all that
(even AS has menu issues with some puppy apps, so I'll be reading more on this, you betcha)

The usual fine job, you spoil us, Gray :)

Always refreshing to have Opera as the browser of choice, it may not have the 'bolt-on' extensibility of geckos but then neither does it have the associated occasional incompatibilites of such - truly I'm not fond of the standard monochrome skin with those godawful huge space-wasting tabs since 9.5 (easily changed) and some of my favorite buttons and such have been a bit 'off' due to version change (no biggie). I even used to like Opera's version updating since it was quite seamless prior to 9.5 (in win32 anyway), not sure what it's like now (mail&ng,etc underwent a huge change and likely for the better in terms of management and storage).

Xfce is .. different (it takes some getting used to even if one used it in previous pups), seems cleaner but some of the new features (like the compositor for fx) might need extra addons and the menu deal is another minor deal-with-it. The fonts seem to be a trifle unstable as far as perceived display size goes (I admit to trying a few non-standard gtks) - rather than adjust global font size from what's 'normal' for most Pups, I used the Settings/Appearance, Fontstab 'force' DPI to make 10pt look like 10pt (good idea to re-X anyhow and check various different apps' bodytext as well as the gtk). It accepts the new Geany v16 pet and xpad and leafpad if you like variety in notes and editing (yah, mousepad works but...). Also Pprocess if you prefer that gui. Conky for sure. Nice to have another wm or two (Blackbox and AS for me) if one likes a change (and those two are oki with wbar as well).

Even though I'm not 'big' on logoff/shutdown dialogs (it seems to always take that 1st try to see just what happens), this one is fairly easy to get used to. And Shutdown (since I do multisessionCD, save/nosave-to-poweroff) just works! on my desktop (no fooling about with anything .. how you do that, Gray? :) ).

Henry

Remove Opera tray icon

#68 Post by Henry »

Can the annoying Opera 10a icon that appears at the right side of the tray be removed? I didn't see it in opera:config.

Why ask now? (Just lightening up a bit. ;-) I had been rebuilding my 4.1.3 configuration as kind of an evaluation to see what else might have changed and whether I could tidy up my implementation a bit more.

gray has made a series of really elegant versions and I like this one a lot. I have faith that he and/or his colleagues in this forum will follow through on the problems discussed above. Nop is very close to being a computer for serious workers, but nowadays that means it has to at least work with the ubiquitous all-in-one printers.

magerlab

#69 Post by magerlab »

i always run opera -notrayicon because i do not like the icon when tray is set to autohide

run opera --help in terminal

in xfce4.6 there's also an option to hide icons from tray( right click in the system tray applet to see options)

DaveS

#70 Post by DaveS »

Is there any way I can use the earlier CUPS? How would or could (?) I unload the current one and load an earlier one? Could it be done with a script? For what it is worth, I have been playing around with 4.2 and getting the same print problem. Am I destined to fade slowly in to old age never being able to upgrade from 4.1.1 and its derivatives? At least Patriots JWM enhancements give a new lease of visual life, and, Phillistine that I am, I prefer Conky to Pwidgets, so I guess it aint all bad :)
Think I will bugger off skiing for a few days and forget my troubles.............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Henry

#71 Post by Henry »

Thanks, magerlab :)

Henry

Patriot

#72 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

I've mentioned that I'll be peeking into hplip this weekend .....

Now then, I've managed to get a HP printer (no fancy scanner/fax) on loan for a week. It's was already late but I'm kinda curious about hplip. Took a peek and started poking here and there ...

I'm happy to say that I may have found (with a high degree of confidence) the basic reason for hplip refusing to work on puppy. I now have a working hplip 3.9.2 printing through cups 1.3.9 ...

I will need to make further tests to make proper trace to confirm this and find the best (and easiest) way to implement for puppy. This will take some time and I hope anyone needing hplip to (try mighty hard to) be patient.

Anyone wants to try and guess who's refusing to play nice with hplip printing ?

Definitely not the accused CUPS !

;-)

Rgds

DaveS

#73 Post by DaveS »

Hi Gray. I have an update re printing problems. I am using a HP Photosmart c4380 wifi printer. There is no driver for this printer issued standard with Puppy, so I install the additional HP drivers package via the package manager which has one. This seems to be the cause of the problem (listed as a filter error). If I uninstall this package, and choose a 'wrong but close' driver from those that come standard with Puppy, printing is fine. Fortunately, the 'wrong' driver seems to work ok too in terms of output. Hope this helps somebody else........................

ps: same problem and fix in 4.2
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Henry

4.13 Update

#74 Post by Henry »

Hello, gray and all,

The upgrade probably worked better than I thought. I reported that the first time Opera ran after a reboot it took 25 sec. to start. Very consistent, but when I was making a backup of .opera (which is outside pup_save), I found I could not copy the styles folder, there being serious disk errors in it. After fixing this Opera started as expected. Obviously this was unrelated to 4.13.

I am glad now that I did completely rebuild my configuration with 4.1.3. This reviewed everything I had done and pointed out again what a good base Nop is to work from, and the nice improvements in 4.1.3. Naturally I highly customised it for my own purposes. It seems everything now works except printing with Hpliplite. Perhaps Patriot will have some good news on that :)

As before, items that I added and tested include Gnupg with Sylpheed 6.0, scanning with Hpliplite and (almost) printing with a Laserjet 2100 and 4480 3-in-1, Qemu with a 3 G image file (Windows 2000 and WordPerfect), Bluefish with Tidy Html, Adobe Reader 7.0, OpenOffice 3.0 with Java, Gimp 2.4.5, Xine, and Wine 1.0 for numerous old favorites as Acrobat 4.05, Photo-Filtre, and various utilities.

Thanks; keep up the good work!

DaveS

#75 Post by DaveS »

Henry, I think your problems with hplip are related to the problem I encountered in the post above.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Henry

Hpliplite inquiry

#76 Post by Henry »

Yes, DaveS,

FYI I posted an inquiry at the Hpliplite discussion:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 797#286797

as follows:

Hello,
I had been happily using gray's excellent Nop 4.1.2 with no problems. When he moved from an earlier Cups to 1.3.9 in Nop 4.1.3 printing with Hpliplite no longer worked, a problem also noted by others. This is being discussed in:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8&start=60

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Patriot

#77 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

@DaveS, Henry, NOP413/hplip users
As I mentioned earlier, I've had a working hplip 3.9.2 printing through cups 1.3.9 ... Please look here to get the hplip 3.9.2 pet. The pet is built primarily for local printing and scanning purposes. No network or fax support.

You'd probably will have to uninstall any hplip packages that were installed previously.

Kindly report any cups 1.3.9 issue there ...

Rgds

Henry

#78 Post by Henry »

Thanks, Patriot - Impressive !

But no immediate success.

I removed the existing Hpliplite and libnetsmnp-15 and deleted all printers and rebooted. Then reinstalled libnetsmnp-15 and the following:

1. CUPS 1.3.9 stable release
[download]
Description:
CUPS version 1.3.9 pet package intended for Puppy 4.1.x. Should also work on any Puppy using the 2.6 kernel (but yet to be tested).

2. Gutenprint 5.2.3
[download]
[mirror]
Description:
Gutenprint ppd driver set, packaged by ttuuxxx

3. HPLIP 3.9.2 featherlight full pet
[download]
Description:
Contains hplip executable binary, patched script and ppd drivers required for printing. Only printing and scanning modules are included. Fax, network and toolbox support is not included. Requires no other dependencies on a standard Puppy 4.1.x

Rebooted, reinstalled Cups printers. Still scans, doesn't print. Still says:
Hp4480 "Unable to open file "/var/spool/cups/d00022-001" - Permission denied"
I suppose the reason it doesn't ask for a password is that I had used gray's new cupsd.conf. There's a lot of possible permutations here, and I trust that gray or someone more reliable than I will check it out in Nop :)

Henry

Patriot

#79 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

@Henry
I've ran some tests and traced the issue to the previous hpliplite install.
Please look at my Q&A #14 to see if it applies to your case ...

Rgds

Henry

Printing in 4.1.3 (SOLVED)

#80 Post by Henry »

BINGO! Brilliant, Patriot,

For some reason the greps did not show me anything, but I looked at
:
/etc/group
root:x:0:
daemon:x:1:
tty:x:2:
ppp:x:200: