Lucid Puppy 5.1 Bug Reports and Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
nubc

#61 Post by nubc »

Puppy 5.1 is very nice, seems to work well. I will probably install it just because of the functioning repo, which works smoothly. As a test, I grabbed several tmp downloads of FLV files. They played "as is" using VLC 1.0.6 from repo and resident Mplayer. However, when I put these FLV files on the hard drive with Puppy 2.17.1, VLC 0.8.6 would not play them. Specifically, there was no video at all, and no sound, although there was a moving progress bullet on the audio. I conclude that there is something missing in FLV files acquired from tmp directory in Puppy 5.1. Not a big surprise, but will be keeping the 2.17.1 system for daily activity.

I installed the old Nvidia graphics driver as recommended by Puppy, but the video was not as good with the Nvidia driver, as compared to the default driver. Specifically, the Nvidia graphics upgrade produced broken segments, lag, and missing segments, especially during rapid scrolling.
Last edited by nubc on Fri 13 Aug 2010, 21:11, edited 2 times in total.

DaveS

#62 Post by DaveS »

edoc wrote:Someone somewhere on the Forum at one point posted Conky configured across the bottom, just above the toolbar, with not only system info but a scrolling news headline bar, etc.

I have not been able to find that again ... arghhh!
Some good stuff here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=39906
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

dawg

#63 Post by dawg »

Strange new problem in Lupu510 on a Dell Latitude CPx J650GT:
3c574_cs network card module (PCMCIA) doesn't load, the card doesn't get recognized and doesn't work even if module is loaded manually.

It does work in my Compaq lappy, though!

Puppy 4.3.1 doesn't have this problem at all, on either machine.

Any ideas?

edoc

#64 Post by edoc »

DaveS wrote:
edoc wrote:Someone somewhere on the Forum at one point posted Conky configured across the bottom, just above the toolbar, with not only system info but a scrolling news headline bar, etc.

I have not been able to find that again ... arghhh!
Some good stuff here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=39906
Would you please start a thread like that on this Forum - specific to Conky configurations?

Something like "May The Best Conky Win!"

It would be helpful to see some current (those are 2007) Conky configurations along with the code.

It would be a lot of fun to see!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

bigpup

Re: Found update

#65 Post by bigpup »

shinobar wrote:
Minnesota wrote:Yes, as part of Quickpet.
OPINION:
That should be on the desktop... kind of hidden tab.. now I know where to look. Also add the link to all the browsers if possible in the bookmarks :)
How about the 'News' tab at the top of the quickpet tabs instead of 'Popular Pets'.
How about changing the "news" tab in Quickpet to News/Updates?
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 14 Aug 2010, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#66 Post by bigpup »

nubc wrote:
I installed the old Nvidia graphics driver as recommended by Puppy, but the video was not as good with the Nvidia driver, as compared to the default driver. Specifically, the Nvidia graphics upgrade produced broken segments, lag, and missing segments, especially during rapid scrolling.
What is your video card?
What Nvidia driver did you try?

sneekylinux

#67 Post by sneekylinux »

hey chaps,i know i don't pop by as much as i should but here are a few things buggy in 5.1
1. internet connection has the habit of dropping out for no reason even on my wired setup,but does reconnect quick.
2.and this one is most important for me,if you don't install record my desktop in a certain order it refuses to load,and yes python is already installed,have tried 8 different installs to try and find the guilty party,but as yet no joy,this is a full,pup save and usb install by the way so have give it a good go.
if i have any joy will let you know...
sneekylinux.

scsijon

#68 Post by scsijon »

sneekylinux wrote:hey chaps,i know i don't pop by as much as i should but here are a few things buggy in 5.1
1. internet connection has the habit of dropping out for no reason even on my wired setup,but does reconnect quick.

sneekylinux.
sneeky,

that's the one thing I don't have a problem with, it's been rock solid with both internal modem and sat via eth0. 8) :D

scsijon

scsijon

510 full install

#69 Post by scsijon »

Just did a full install to a clean parn

got a grey screen saying Dependencies missing:

GTK1:
gtk+12, gtkxft, gtk_pixbuf10, glib12

tcl/tk:
tk, tcl, tix, url, tktable, tablelist, tiletrf, combobox, gnocl, img

qt:
qt

xlib:
pmlib, libxaw95_dep4

Multimedia:
speex, libsip2, cdrdao, sax

misc:
libidn, figzdev, pstood ,tmtools

it said to write them down.

so I did and reporting here although everything i've installed since and everything i've used seems to be working ok but maybe that's whats been causing me grief.

edit: don't know where the problems are for the message above, I spent some 4hrs trying things (other than sound stuff, which is useless as i'm mostly deaf) and couldn't kill or lockup anything already there or what I added.

-----------------
on another topic, the video one, I see opensuse are also having problems with settings in their latest release, so it's not us specific

these two commands may be of use

-queery video modes with
Xrandr -q

-set default video mode from a response from above command (for my card/monitor at 1024x768@75.1hz)

Xrandr --output default --mode 1024x768_75.10

regards
scsijon
:oops: typos and a wrong commer spot
Last edited by scsijon on Sat 14 Aug 2010, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

nubc

#70 Post by nubc »

@ bigpup

Puppy sees the video card as Ge Force4 MX 440 rev a3

Puppy recommends using driver nvidia-96.43.16

I can't identify the card. The PC board on the card is golden brown, like an ASUS or HP proprietary card. I looked up some numbers, and it also might be a Gigabyte product.

There is a number N622 on the card, and also KA 041\043. It is a 256 MB card, but I have cut it back to 64MB in BIOS. Perhaps the detection program is confused by it being 64MB instead of the full 256MB.

The display works fine with the default driver, and I don't foresee a problem with using this driver.

nubc

#71 Post by nubc »

annoyance: When I rename a file, the little dialog to rename is not represented on the task bar, and I must reduce everything to see the dialog again if the renaming task is interrupted, which happens often as when I double-check the spelling of a long title.

ozsouth

Mics - fixed

#72 Post by ozsouth »

playdayz taught me this one a couple of days ago but try right-clicking on the volume icon in the task bar, click full window, maximize the screen to see all options and adjust the mic options. hope that helps.
Thanks sinc - had already tried alsamixer, but the above worked.

tubby

#73 Post by tubby »

@dawg, /etc/init.d/rc.pcmcia
remove the hashes at lines 15 and 16
Reboot.
This will only work if you have a save file or you have done a full install.

Stripe

#74 Post by Stripe »

nubc wrote:Puppy 5.1 is very nice, seems to work well. I will probably install it just because of the functioning repo, which works smoothly. As a test, I grabbed several tmp downloads of FLV files. They played "as is" using VLC 1.0.6 from repo and resident Mplayer. However, when I put these FLV files on the hard drive with Puppy 2.17.1, VLC 0.8.6 would not play them. Specifically, there was no video at all, and no sound, although there was a moving progress bullet on the audio. I conclude that there is something missing in FLV files acquired from tmp directory in Puppy 5.1. Not a big surprise, but will be keeping the 2.17.1 system for daily activity.
Hi Nubc
I have used flv files from the temp directory, set vlc 1.0.6 as the default player and not had any problems with them, have also used firefox 1-click downloader to save them as mp4 & flv and no problems there either. with the standard nv driver could not get them to play full screen in mplayer but played full screen with vlc 1.0.6, will try to find 01mickos code to identify your card.
Stripe

Following code entered in terminal should give you your video card details
"lspci | grep VGA"
Last edited by Stripe on Sat 14 Aug 2010, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

dawg

#75 Post by dawg »

Thanks tubby, now it works!

smokey01

#76 Post by smokey01 »

Stripe wrote:
nubc wrote:Puppy 5.1 is very nice, seems to work well. I will probably install it just because of the functioning repo, which works smoothly. As a test, I grabbed several tmp downloads of FLV files. They played "as is" using VLC 1.0.6 from repo and resident Mplayer. However, when I put these FLV files on the hard drive with Puppy 2.17.1, VLC 0.8.6 would not play them. Specifically, there was no video at all, and no sound, although there was a moving progress bullet on the audio. I conclude that there is something missing in FLV files acquired from tmp directory in Puppy 5.1. Not a big surprise, but will be keeping the 2.17.1 system for daily activity.
Hi Nubc
I have used flv files from the temp directory, set vlc 1.0.6 as the default player and not had any problems with them, have also used firefox 1-click downloader to save them as mp4 & flv and no problems there either. with the standard nv driver could not get them to play full screen in mplayer but played full screen with vlc 1.0.6, will try to find 01mickos code to identify your card.
Stripe
It's in quickpet > file > Report Video

sinc

#77 Post by sinc »

nubc wrote:produced broken segments, lag, and missing segments, especially during rapid scrolling.
"If" this is referring to while in firefox or seamonkey, make sure to hit the maximize button. Everyone seems to have this issue when the browser is behind the taskbar.

Brown Mouse

Cant get nvidia drivers to install and run in Lucid 5.1.0

#78 Post by Brown Mouse »

I've been advised to post this here.

If I select drivers from quickpet and click on'test your graphic card',it identifies the correct graphic card and I can install the correct drivers.I've then tried to follow the procedure to load the new drivers,so far without luck.

1)From 'quickpet' click to test graphic card
2)select driver 173.14.25
3)Download driver &click ok to confirm install.
4)Click yes to exit x windows system to Xorgwizard
5)Screen goes black and then automatically detects correct resolution.

At this point everything appears fine but if I then start for example Google Earth,it says it cant detect the right nvidia card/ driver to run and closes down.

If I then reboot I'm left with no task bar and cant get any network connection,along with unrecognized network card.

If I exit to Xorgwizard and use probe,I cant get x to start in any resolution.
If I use 'choose' option and type nvidia still the same and I'm also seeing these two error messages along the line.

Warning:Could not open init/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko
Fatal:Could not open initrd/kernel/driver/hid/usbhid/.ko

My computer specs are:-
Pentium 4 dual core 3.0ghz processor
Asus P5QL/EPU Motherboard
!gb Kingston ram
Geforce EN 210 graphics card

Thanks for any suggestions.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#79 Post by Béèm »

Nice useful comment sinc, I had that issue in ROX as well.

So I did the test.
When a ROX window is behind the taskbar I have the issue, but not anymore if I move that widow from behind the taskbar.

Now for SeaMonkey 2.0.6 in lucid 5.1, I can't reproduce the issue anymore.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Stripe

#80 Post by Stripe »

Hi brown mouse

I have a geforce 210 card and use the 256.35 driver, is that listed as an option on your card test?

You will have to uninstall the 173.14.25 driver first. (using Puppy package manager) before you can install it.

If you have any more questions or problems just ask and I will try to help

Stripe